MV Sea Spirit Review and Specifications
Specifications of MV Sea Spirit
|Year built||1991 / Age : 27|
|Builder||Nuovi Cantieri Apuania (Marina di Carrara, Italy)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition ship|
|Owner||SunStone Ships Inc|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||91 m / 299 ft|
|Beam (width)||15 m / 49 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||4200 gt|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Former names||Renaissance V, Sun Viva, Megastar Sagittarius, Spirit of Oceanus|
Review of MV Sea Spirit
MV Sea Spirit cruise ship was built in 1991 in Carrara Italy as "Renaissance V". Subsequently, the vessel was operated by Cruise West (as "Spirit of Oceanus") before being modified (drydock refitted) in 2010 to become more suitable for polar cruises.
Since late 2010, the vessel operates on exclusively polar cruises to Arctic and Antarctica destinations. This ice-strengthened expedition ship is operated under charter by Poseidon Expeditions.
Providing suites for a total of 114 passengers (with the smallest suite measuring 20 m2 / 215 ft2) the ice-strengthened mv Sea Spirit at the same time provides maneuverability and small ship friendly atmosphere. All suites feature exterior views and private facilities. Some of the accommodations have private balconies for enjoying the fantastic landscapes of Antarcticaand the Arctic.
A fleet of rubber inflatable boats (10 Zodiacs) for landings on wild shores, experienced crew, and retractable fin stabilizers for smooth sailing make a polar cruise on Sea Spirit enjoyable. All deals include rubber boots on loan and an expedition Jacket to keep. All voyages are Multi-Lingual (typically English and German). Many of the sailings will also include Chinese and Russian languages. Ship-to-shore communications are via Inmarsat Capsat Fleet 77 (satellite phone and Internet).
Spacious common areas on Sea Spirit include a library on the Club Deck with a large collection of polar books and DVDs, a presentation lounge on the Ocean Deck with special equipment for lectures, recaps and briefings, many outdoor deck areas and barbecues, a gym on the Sports Deck including weight-lifting and aerobic equipment, a polar boutique and an infirmary with licensed medical doctor.
An elevator provides access to all passenger decks. On the aft of the Main Deck a zodiac landing platform allows for quick deployment of passenger landing craft.
MV Sea Spirit features a full-service bar, so guests may expect wine and spirits to flow freely during the cruise. Bottled water, tea, coffee and cocoa are available around the clock. 4-course meals are prepared nightly by top chefs and expert kitchen staff. Special diets are accommodated with advance notice. All meals are served on the Main Deck in a single, leisurely seating.
Optional excursions including kayaking, birding, snorkeling and hiking are available during the stay on mv Sea Spirit. Daily briefings by naturalists prepare passengers for any activity they may desire and wildlife viewing. The onboard gym on ship's Sports Deck is open daily and provides a good place to unwind. It offers several treadmills, stationary bikes and multi-functional training machines.
In 2017, Poseidon Expeditions chartered the vessel for a variety of Arctic cruises. The itinerary program featured the company's first-ever "Voyage to The Arctic" cruise (June 17-29) to Iceland’s northern fjords and also along the Arctic Circle to Norway, from where the ship continued to Bear Island and Spitsbergen Archipelago. Russian Arctic territories (including Franz Josef Land) were visited during Poseidon Expeditions' August 14-29 itinerary.
In September 2017, following an Arctic cruise to East Greenland, the ship was relocated to South America for the 2017-2018 season of itineraries to Antarctic Peninsula, South Georgia island and Falkland Islands. Departures were from Puerto Madryn (Argentina) and Ushuaia (Argentina). The 19-day "Best of the Southern Ocean" itinerary route through Beagle Channel visited the British Overseas territories Falklands and South Georgia. Poseidon Expeditions prices started from USD 7,500 pp (Triple Classic Cabin rates) up to USD 22,500 pp (Owner Suite rates).
Quark cruise deals
Quark Expeditions cruise deals are inclusive of:
- 1-night pre-cruise hotel stay, group transfers (airport-hotel on the day prior departure, and hotel-ship on embarkation day)
- onboard accommodation (daily housekeeping service)
- all onboard meals (breakfasts, lunches, dinners) - know that the ship's galley / kitchen can't prepare kosher meals
- all Zodiac landings (daily, weather permitting) and Zodiac transfers and cruising (daily)
- media presentations by Expedition Team members and special guest lecturers
- waterproof expedition boots (on shore landings)
- complimentary Quark Expeditions logoed parka
- lifejackets and immersion suits
- complimentary coffee, tea and cocoa (24 / 7)
- hairdryer and bathrobe (in all cabins)
- pre-departure materials (including maps)
- all service taxes and port fees
- all onboard luggage handling
- emergency evacuation (medevac) insurance to a max benefit USD 100,000 pp
- Fly-cruise deals are inclusive of complimentary house wines (by the glass), beers and spirits on the ship, also of all gratuities (staff and crew) and all domestic flights (prior to embarkation).
- Shipboard laundry and Ironing services are available at additional cost.
- Ship-to-shore communications are via Inmarsat Capsat Fleet 77 (satellite phone and Internet) and cost extra.
MV Sea Spirit wiki
- MV Sea Spirit cruise ship was last drydock refurbished in 2017 in Vigo Spain. The over USD 2,5 million project renovated all its 54 staterooms. In 2015, all the public areas onboard were redesigned and renovated.
- The scheduled for May 2019 drydock at Naval Rocha Shipyard (Lisbon Portugal) will result in advanced maritime technology upgrades, including 2 retractable fin stabilizers. These new units provide high roll damping performance at sea, as well as while the boat is drifting or anchored. They are also designed to eliminate vibrations and noise. Both stabilizers are fully compatible with environmentally acceptable lubricants and feature 4 main seals for additional redundancy. The system is computer-based, with a programmable logic controller developing different patterns depending on weather and sea conditions. The drydock improvements will also result in re-certifying the ship for the new vessel requirements by the updated IMO Polar Code allowing passenger shipping operations in polar waters.
- In 2017, Poseidon Expeditions signed a 4-year charter agreement (until 2021) for the cruise ship Sea Spirit. The ship cruises in the polar regions (Arctic and Antarctica) starting operations for Poseidon Expeditions in May 2018. Other destinations include western Greenland, Svalbard Islands (Norway) and British Isles (UK).
Poseidon Expeditions 2019-2020 itineraries
For season 2019-2020, the Sea Spirit ship charterer Poseidon Expeditions announced in mid-January 2018 more departures and new itinerary destinations.
- (2019) 12-day itinerary (June 3-14) leaves from Scotland (Leith-Edinburgh) to the Arctic Norway (Longyearbyen / on Spitsbergen Island)
- (2019) The "Best of the British Isles" cruise leaves from Plymouth England in May.
- (2019) Two "East Greenland Cruise" itineraries leave roundtrip from Reykjavik Iceland.
- (August 2019) Two Arctic itineraries visit Franz Josef Land Archipelago (inhabited by Russian military base personnel only).
- (Antarctica 2019-2020) Poseidon Expeditions offer classic Antarctic Peninsula itinerary programs, plus 3 longer itineraries visiting Antarctica, South Georgia and Falkland Islands.
- Additional to these Sea Spirit ship cruises, for summer 2019, Poseidon Expeditions also chartered the Russian nuclear ship 50 Years of Victory for the "Top of the World," icebreaker cruise itinerary, with (scheduled departures on July 7, 18 and 29.