MV Sea Spirit Review and Specifications
Specifications of MV Sea Spirit
|Year built||1991 / Age : 26|
|Builder||Nuovi Cantieri Apuania (Carrara, Italy)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition ship|
|Operator||Quark Expeditions, Poseidon Expeditions|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||91 m / 299 ft|
|Beam (width)||15 m / 49 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||4200 gt|
|Passengers||60 - 120|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Former names||Renaissance V, Sun Viva, Megastar Sagittarius, Spirit of Oceanus|
Review of MV Sea Spirit
MV Sea Spirit cruise ship was built in 1991 in Carrara, Italy as "Renaissance V". Subsequently, the vessel was operated by Cruise West (as "Spirit of Oceanus") before being modified (drydock refitted) in 2010 to become more suitable for polar cruises.
Since late 2010, the vessel operates on exclusively polar cruises to Arctic and Antarctica destinations. This ice-strengthened expedition ship is operated under charter by Quark Expeditions and also by Poseidon Expeditions.
Providing suites for a total of 114 passengers (with the smallest suite measuring 20 m2 / 215 ft2) the ice-strengthened mv Sea Spirit at the same time provides maneuverability and small ship friendly atmosphere. All suites feature exterior views and private facilities. Some of the accommodations have private balconies for enjoying the fantastic landscapes of Antarcticaand the Arctic.
A fleet of rubber inflatable boats (10 Zodiacs) for landings on wild shores, experienced crew, and retractable fin stabilizers for smooth sailing make a polar cruise on Sea Spirit enjoyable. All departures include rubber boots on loan and an expedition Jacket to keep. All voyages are Multi-Lingual (typically English and German). Many of the sailings will also include Chinese and Russian languages. Ship-to-shore communications are via Inmarsat Capsat Fleet 77 (satellite phone and Internet).
Spacious common areas on Sea Spirit include a library on the Club Deck with a large collection of polar books and DVDs, a presentation lounge on the Ocean Deck with special equipment for lectures, recaps and briefings, many outdoor deck areas and barbecues, a gym on the Sports Deck including weight-lifting and aerobic equipment, a polar boutique and an infirmary with licensed medical doctor.
An elevator provides access to all passenger decks. On the aft of the Main Deck a zodiac landing platform allows for quick deployment of passenger landing craft.
MV Sea Spirit features a full-service bar, so guests may expect wine and spirits to flow freely during the cruise. Bottled water, tea, coffee and cocoa are available around the clock. 4-course meals are prepared nightly by top chefs and expert kitchen staff. Special diets are accommodated with advance notice. All meals are served on the Main Deck in a single, leisurely seating.
Optional excursions including kayaking, birding, snorkeling and hiking are available during the stay on mv Sea Spirit. Daily briefings by naturalists prepare passengers for any activity they may desire and wildlife viewing. The onboard gym on ship's Sports Deck is open daily and provides a good place to unwind. It offers several treadmills, stationary bikes and multi-functional training machines.
In 2017, Poseidon Expeditions chartered the vessel for a variety of Arctic cruises. The itinerary program featured the company's first-ever "Voyage to The Arctic" cruise (June 17-29) to Iceland’s northern fjords and also along the Arctic Circle to Norway, from where the ship continued to Bear Island and Spitsbergen Archipelago. Russian Arctic territories (including Franz Josef Land) were visited during Poseidon Expeditions' August 14-29 itinerary.
In September 2017, following an Arctic cruise to East Greenland, the ship was relocated to South America for the 2017-2018 season of itineraries to Antarctic Peninsula, South Georgia island and Falkland Islands.
Quark cruise deals
Quark Expeditions cruise deals are inclusive of:
- onboard accommodation (daily housekeeping service)
- all onboard meals (breakfasts, lunches, dinners) - know that the ship's galley / kitchen can't prepare kosher meals
- all Zodiac landings (daily, weather permitting) and Zodiac transfers and cruising (daily)
- media presentations by Expedition Team members and special guest lecturers
- waterproof expedition boots (on shore landings)
- complimentary Quark Expeditions logoed parka
- lifejackets and immersion suits
- complimentary coffee, tea and cocoa (24 / 7)
- hairdryer and bathrobe (in all cabins)
- pre-departure materials (including maps)
- all service taxes and port fees
- all onboard luggage handling
- emergency evacuation (medevac) insurance to a max benefit USD 100,000 pp
- Fly-cruise deals are inclusive of complimentary house wines (by the glass), beers and spirits on the ship, also of all gratuities (staff and crew) and all domestic flights (prior to embarkation).
- Shipboard laundry and Ironing services are available at additional cost.
- Ship-to-shore communications are via Inmarsat Capsat Fleet 77 (satellite phone and Internet) and cost extra.