River Baroness Review and Specifications
Specifications of River Baroness
|Year built||1994 / Age : 24|
|Builder||Shipyard De Hoop (Lobith, Holland)|
|Owner||(TravCorp) The Travel Corporation|
|Operator||Uniworld River Cruises|
|Speed||13 kn / 24 kph / 15 mph|
|Length (LOA)||110 m / 361 ft|
|Beam (width)||11 m / 36 ft|
|Passengers||59 - 120|
|Decks with cabins||2|
|Former names||River Baroness, THE B (U by Uniworld)|
|Christened by||Petra Nemcova|
Review of River Baroness
"U by Uniworld" River Baroness ("THE B") ship cruises on Seine River, departing from Paris France. The UNIWORLD line also offers combined B2B (back-to-back) itineraries with departures from Paris. They additionally include a Dordogne and Garonne river cruise from Bordeaux (roundtrip on the UNIWORLD ship River Royale). Uniworld (officially "Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection") is a major river cruise company part of The Travel Corporation group.
Note: Since April 2018, the ship operates under the new brand "U by Uniworld" under the name THE B, together with the fleetmate River Ambassador (THE A).
- The "U by Uniworld" brand product is tailored for travelers ages 21-45, with less price-inclusions in comparison to standard Uniworld deals.
- "U by Uniworld" deals are inclusive of 2 meals a day (breakfast and dinner) and 1 or 2 shore excursions (each day). Optional tours and excursins (at additional prices) are offered each day.
- After the refit in 2017, both riverboats are with all black hulls, gym, main lounge, rooftop bar lounge, coffee bar, 2 dining venues ((main restaurant and rooftop / alfresco). Cabins are in only 3 categories.
- Both "U by Uniworld" ships were launched on April 14, 2018.
- THE B ship operates on Seine River itineraries, featuring overnights and longer stays in Paris France.
MS River Baroness cruise ship, which was refurbished completely in 2011, has a two-story lobby and large picture windows. According to the cruise, included are the first-class hotels and all shore excursions (with English-speaking guides and audio headphones). In 2010 River Baroness was chosen for one of the "Top Small Cruise Ships" in the world.
All River Baroness cabins are outside and a half of them feature French balconies. The suites are four and have extra amenities: a bottle of wine on guests' arrival, daily cookie and fruit plate, DVD, larger sitting area, refrigerator, continental breakfast, morning tea and coffee, free laundry and shoe shine services. The cruises focus on exploration tours and cultural enrichment programs. Nordic walking sticks and bicycles for on-shore activities are provided. Family-friendly programs are offered on select dates.
River Baroness river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Uniworld France cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Uniworld Seine River cruise only or cruisetour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. Uniworld offers air-inclusive cruise deals and pre/post cruise hotel packages as extensions (at additional cost).
After River Baroness boat's refit and refurbishment in 2017, "U by Uniworld" THE B ship now has 4 suites, 29 studio bedrooms (single cabins), 26 balcony staterooms and 2 studio bedrooms with triple occupancy. All accommodations are with outside views and built-in Bluetooth speakers.
Shipboard food and drinks
The new brand "U by Uniworld" provides as onboard meals many local (river cruise itinerary based) dishes made from locally sourced and freshest ingredients. Among the dining options are classic and comfort food choices, as well as plenty of organic, vegan, vegetarian and healthy food choices. Special dietary needs are always accommodated upon request.
The boat provides 2 meals a day (based on its daily schedule). You can also offer custom-made food, like specialty burgers (bacon, goat cheese, fresh-made fries), make-your-own pizza (fresh local toppings), homemade granola (breakfast food with fresh juices). Whenever possible, local street food is also served.
Water, teas and coffees are also included in the fares. Extra cost craft beers, wine by the glass, cocktails, specialty coffees.
On river cruising days, the ship often stops in picturesque locations, where on the Sun Deck passengers can create their very own painting - wine and supplies are provided complimentary.
Onboard are also organized mixology classes (for making signature cocktails), cooking classes (multi-course, led by the boat's chef), silent disco (headphones are provided), complimentary yoga classes (held in the mornings on the Sun Deck, led by the boat’s wellness coach). Complimentary Wi-Fi access (throught the ship) is also provided.
"U by Uniworld" THE B ship offers two rooftop / outdoor venues, Spa, entertainment with international DJs, professional mixologists, communal dining tables, farm-to-table cuisine.
"U by Uniworld" cruisetours and excursions
All river cruise itineraries are with included (complimentary) tours, among which are bicycle rides (along the river or in some cities), evening strolls, canal cruising (Amsterdam), vineyard hikes, castle tours.
All boat to town transfers are complimentary. passengers can always plan their own private excursions. In addition, there are specially planned excursions, events and shore activities created by the company's destination experts. These are optional (at extra charge) tour offers availabe on most itinerary days. Some activities are relaxed and low key, others are for more active passengers. U by Uniworld promises the benefits of best booking prices, complimentary transportation to and from the boat, high-quality and expert service.
"U by Uniworld" Itineraries
U by Uniworld cruise prices start from GBP 160 / USD 250 pp per day (in comparison to USD 330 pp per day for lowest-priced off-season Uniworld cruise). Both U by Uniworld ships - THE B (Baroness) and THE A (Ambassador) - operate on Seine, Rhine, Main and Danube river itineraries, featuring overnights and longer port stays in major cities (Amsterdam Holland, Budapest Hungary, Vienna Austria, Paris France).
River Baroness wiki
- Cabin grades number: 4
- Total number of cabins: 59 (of which 4 Suite)
- Restaurants: Van Gogh Restaurant (Main dining room)
- Lounges & Bars: Monet Lounge (featuring a dance floor and full-service Bar)
- Sun Deck (chessboard, shuffleboard), Library, Boutique Shop, Serenity Spa, Fitness Center, 24-hour specialty tea and coffee bar, 24-hour reception, free Internet and Wi-Fi access.
- Uniworld River Baroness ship is one of the older boats owned by the river cruise line. The ship passed through an extensive refurbishment project in 2011. Of the same class are the Uniworld boats Ambassador, Countess, Duchess, Empress, Princess, Queen and Royale.
- All riverview suites and standard staterooms are with handcrafted UK-made Savoir beds and top-luxury bedding sets. All the Rhine Deck’s cabins are with French balconies. Additional ship amenities include complimentary use of Nordic walking sticks and bicycles on all Uniworld cruises’ shore excursions.
- Other luxury river cruise lines ships with itineraries on Seine river from Paris France are offered by AmaWaterways (AmaLegro), Avalon Waterways (Creativity, Tapestry 2), Scenic (Gem) and Viking (Kadlin, Neptune, Pride, Rinda, Rolf, Spirit).
In the end of 2016, Uniworld introduced a new cruise line brand named "U by Uniworld". The new brand was created specifically for younger travelers (aged between 18-40). It is operated with a fleet of two newly refurbished ships and offers longer port stays on the company's European river cruise itineraries.
- The new line's fleet includes the 116-passenger riverboats River Ambassador (launched 1999) and River Baroness (launched 1997). The renovated ships feature more contemporary interior design, communal tables for dining, onboard cocktail mixologists, onboard DJs.
- Sales started in March 2017, with bookings for 2018.
- "U by Uniworld" is operated with separate brochures, new website (ubyuniworld.com) and separate pricing.
- Starting April 2018, "U by Uniworld" deals are inclusive of 2 gourmet meals per day, unlimited drinks (coffee and tea), wine and soft beverages (lunch and dinner), free Wi-Fi, gratuities. Prices start from USD 3000 (7-day River Baroness cruises on Seine River, leaving roundtrip from Paris to Normandy). The new itineraries feature overnights in Paris and longer port stays.
- Signature themed shipboard activities are outdoor yoga, classes (cooking, painting with wine, bar mixology), sundeck boutique bar lounge, "silent disco" (on the sun deck, passengers dancing with earphones on), themed excursions (Seine River kayaking, Budapest river rafting).
- The new line's social media campaign is hashtagged #AllAboutU, to collate requests and suggestions for Uniworld's new cruising vacation experience.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.