Viking Sun Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Sun
|Year built||2017 new ship|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Ancona, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 300 million|
|Operator||Viking Ocean Cruises|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||227 m / 745 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||47800 gt|
|Passengers||464 - 928|
|Decks with cabins||6|
Review of Viking Sun
Viking Sun (launched in 2017) is the 4th in a series of four identical cruise vessels commissioned for Viking Ocean Cruises. The ship is preceeded by Viking Star (2015), Viking Sea (2016) and Viking Sky (February 2017). The newest ship of this series - Viking Spirit - is scheduled for launch in 2018. Viking chairman Torstein Hagen announced plans to create at least 9 nearly identical ships. The new ships was built according to the latest navigation regulations and equipped with the most modern safety systems, including the “Safe return to port”. They were designed by Fincantieri and the interior fittings were assigned to Rottet Studio of Los Angeles and SMC Design of London, as with the previous ships.
History - construction & ownership
The 47,800-ton, 930-passenger cruise ship Viking Sun offers destination-oriented cruising experience, with few at-sea days, long in-ports days and more exciting overnights in key spots. Ship’s features include complimentary Wi-Fi, free shore excursions, wine and beer with no charge at dinner and lunch.
Viking Sun has all-veranda staterooms and was designed by seasoned naval engineers and architects. The look of the vessel is modern Scandinavian. Viking Sun features two pools, including an infinity one in the stern, and a spa with sauna and snow grotto.
The ship keel-laying took place at Fincantieri's Ancona yard on April 6, 2016 when the first, 280-ton block of Viking Sun, was put into place. The 4th in a series of 6 newbuilds for Viking Ocean Cruises was floated out on December 15, 2016 at Fincantieri's Ancona yard.
Cruise itinerary program
Viking Sun itinerary program is based on cruises in Southern and Northern Europe (the Baltic and Mediterranean regions). Repositioning Atlantic coast routes are operated with one-way itineraries in spring and fall.
According to Sydney Ports cruise schedule, in 2018 Viking Ocean Cruises makes a maiden visit to Australia. A new listing shows line's Viking Sun booked into White Bay Cruise Terminal, Sydney on January 12, 2018 for an overnight stay. The cruise ship is also booked to return to Sydney harbour on February 10, mooring overnight at Point Piper Buoy.
The information has not been confirmed by Viking. The ocean branch of the company launched in 2015 and is expected to feature a fleet of six ships by the end of 2020.
Each of the new 930-passenger ships includes many freebies, such as shore excursions, transfers, wi-fi, wine and beer at lunch and dinner, access to Nordic spa's steam room, thalassotherapy pool, hot tub, snow room, sauna and cold plunge pool. The infinity pool at the stern is another standout feature of the quartet.
All cabins are balconied and at 270 sq.feet, are 20 % larger than the average standard staterooms. Five stateroom categories are offered. The new all-veranda ship is engineered for easy embarkation and debarkation.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Viking Sun offers the following dining venues: Restaurant (dining room), buffets (Viking Deli, World Cafe), Aquavit Terrace (al fresco), specialty (Italian Grill, Chef’s Table), Private Dining (2 rooms). Viking Sun deals are inclusive of shore excursions, complimentary alcohol (wine and beer at lunch and dinner) and Wi-Fi.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
On board, Viking Cruises Viking Sun ship offers two pools – the main and Infinity Pool, spa and fitness center. The Sea also features a piano lounge, wintergarden and aquavit terrace. Not to forget the sports deck, star theatre and bar, lobby bar, various shops. The walk-around promenade deck fully encircles the ship. The two-deck airy Explorer’s Lounge offers observation area which is a feature that lots of today’s cruise ships lack. Many of the new features reflect a boutique hotel feel – the fire pit and Nordic-influenced spa offering sauna and snow room are an example.
Viking Sun wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 18
- Total number of cabins: 465 (of which 47 Suite, 32 Penthouse, 386 Balcony rooms).
- Restaurants: Restaurant (main dining), buffet (World Cafe, Viking Deli), al fresco (Aquavit Terrace), specialty (Chef’s Table, Italian Grill).
- Lounges & Bars: Sun (theater), Explorers (observation), Atrium (Lobby and Lounge), Shops, Bar, Piano Bar, Wintergarden (poolside area), Walking Track, walkaround Promenade (deck 2), covered pool area (with jacuzzi, bar & grill), infinity pool (jacuzzi), Spa & Fitness, Beauty Salon.
- All Viking Ocean ships are built at the Marghera shipyard (near Venice Italy). Just like her sisters in the Viking Ocean's fleet (Sea, Sky, Spirit and Star), Viking Sun cruise ship offers destination-rich itineraries featured with the line's new "small ship cruise" tour and onboard experience. Compared to similar class ships operated by other lines, Viking Ocean itineraries feature fewer sea days and longer port days, with many overnight port stays.
- Viking Ocean ships deliver a brand new-style vacation cruising experience. These vessels represent a "smaller ship" concept. The relatively shallow draft (21 ft / 6,3 m), design (hull and superstructure) and technology allow the ship to directly access even small ports. The ship's smaller size also guarantees an easy and faster passenger embarkation / debarkation process. Another unique feature for the "affordable luxury" ocean cruising market is that regardless of cabin categories, all Viking Ocean deals are price-inclusive of the shore excursions in all ports in the cruise ship itinerary.
- All passenger cabins are with a private veranda, and about 1/5th larger than average standard staterooms on the ocean cruising market. Interesting feature of the ship is the dining room. This venue could be transformed into an outdoor casual dining place thanks to its floor-to-ceiling sliding windows.
- Viking Cruises deals (on all river and ocean ships) are inclusive of shore excursions (land tours), onboard entertainment and dining (including at specialty restaurants), drinks and alcohol (beer, wine /at lunch and dinner), 24-hour room service, Wi-Fi.
- On April 7, 2016, at the Fincantieri Ancona shipyard was held the official keel laying ceremony that started the construction of the new Viking Sun ship. During the ceremony, a 280-ton block was lifted by a large crane and put into place.
- The vessel was floated out on December 15, 2016. The float-out ceremony was attended by Viking Cruises' chairman Torstein Hagen and Fincantiery Ancona shipyard's director Giovanni Stecconi. Just before the actual launch, a silver dollar coin was welded into the ship's top deck. The launching godmother was Ms Yi Lou (China Merchant Bank).
Viking Sun related cruise news
Viking Sun - the 4th vessel in a series of 6 newbuilds for Viking Ocean Cruises, was floated out on December 15, 2016, at Fincantieri...December 16, 2016
The fourth ship of Viking Ocean Cruises, Viking Sun, will spend her maiden season sailing a 141-day world cruise visiting five continents – the...May 3, 2016
The latest in a quite busy period of ship keel-layings took place at Fincantieri's Ancona yard yesterday when the first, 280-ton block of Viking...April 7, 2016
According to Sydney Ports cruise schedule, in 2018 Viking Ocean Cruises will make a maiden visit to Australia. A new listing shows line's...February 19, 2016
- show more news
Other Viking Ocean cruise ships
Viking Sun Itineraries 2017
The below listed Viking Sun cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Viking Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
04 October 2017 7 nights / 8 days, one-way from Venice to Piraeus
11 October 2017 6 nights / 7 days, one-way from Piraeus to Venice
18 October 2017 7 nights / 8 days, one-way from Venice to Civitavecchia
25 October 2017 11 nights / 12 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Lisbon
|25 Oct||Departing from Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
|26 Oct||Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy|
|27 Oct||Monte Carlo, Monaco|
|28 Oct||Toulon, France Riviera|
|29 Oct||Marseille, France Riviera|
|30 Oct - 31 Oct||Barcelona, Spain|
|01 Nov||Valencia, Spain|
|02 Nov||Cartagena, Spain|
|03 Nov||Malaga, Spain|
|04 Nov||Seville, Spain|
|05 Nov||Arriving in Lisbon, Portugal|
06 November 2017 11 nights / 12 days, one-way from Lisbon to Miami
17 November 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Central American Shores & Cuba
24 November 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Central American Shores & Cuba
01 December 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Central American Shores & Cuba
08 December 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Central American Shores & Cuba
15 December 2017 20 nights / 21 days, one-way from Miami to Los Angeles
|15 Dec||Departing from Miami, Florida|
|16 Dec - 17 Dec||Havana, Cuba|
|18 Dec||Cozumel, Mexico|
|19 Dec||Belize City|
|20 Dec||Roatan Island, Mahogany Bay-Coxen Hole, Honduras|
|22 Dec||Puerto Limon, Costa Rica|
|23 Dec||Colon, Panama|
|26 Dec||Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica|
|27 Dec||Corinto, Nicaragua|
|28 Dec||Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala|
|01 Jan||Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico|
|04 Jan||Arriving in Los Angeles, Long Beach, California|
Viking Sun Itineraries 2018
The below listed Viking Sun cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Viking Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
05 May 2018 13 nights / 14 days, one-way from London Tilbury to Bergen
|06 May||Departing from London Tilbury, England|
|07 May||Dover, England|
|09 May||Dublin, Ireland|
|10 May||Holyhead, Isle of Anglesey, Wales|
|11 May||Liverpool, England|
|12 May||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|13 May||Ullapool, Scotland|
|14 May||Kirkwall, Orkney Island, Scotland|
|15 May||Edinburgh, Leith, Scotland|
|16 May||Invergordon, Scotland|
|17 May||Lerwick, Shetland Island, Scotland|
|18 May||Arriving in Bergen, Norway|
19 May 2018 13 nights / 14 days, one-way from Bergen to Stockholm
|20 May||Departing from Bergen, Norway|
|21 May||Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Norway|
|22 May||Stavanger, Norway|
|23 May||Aalborg, Denmark|
|24 May||Copenhagen, Denmark|
|25 May||Warnemunde-Rostock, Germany|
|26 May||Gdynia, Gdansk, Poland|
|28 May||Tallinn, Estonia|
|29 May - 30 May||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
|31 May||Helsinki, Finland|
|01 Jun||Arriving in Stockholm, Sweden|
02 June 2018 13 nights / 14 days, one-way from Stockholm to Bergen
|03 Jun||Departing from Stockholm, Sweden|
|04 Jun||Helsinki, Finland|
|05 Jun - 06 Jun||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
|07 Jun||Tallinn, Estonia|
|09 Jun||Gdynia, Gdansk, Poland|
|10 Jun||Warnemunde-Rostock, Germany|
|11 Jun||Copenhagen, Denmark|
|12 Jun||Aalborg, Denmark|
|13 Jun||Stavanger, Norway|
|14 Jun||Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Norway|
|15 Jun||Arriving in Bergen, Norway|
14 July 2018 13 nights / 14 days, one-way from Bergen to Stockholm
|15 Jul||Departing from Bergen, Norway|
|16 Jul||Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Norway|
|17 Jul||Stavanger, Norway|
|18 Jul||Aalborg, Denmark|
|19 Jul||Copenhagen, Denmark|
|20 Jul||Warnemunde-Rostock, Germany|
|21 Jul||Gdynia, Gdansk, Poland|
|23 Jul||Tallinn, Estonia|
|24 Jul - 25 Jul||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
|26 Jul||Helsinki, Finland|
|27 Jul||Arriving in Stockholm, Sweden|
28 July 2018 13 nights / 14 days, one-way from Stockholm to Bergen
|29 Jul||Departing from Stockholm, Sweden|
|30 Jul||Helsinki, Finland|
|31 Jul - 01 Aug||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
|02 Aug||Tallinn, Estonia|
|04 Aug||Gdynia, Gdansk, Poland|
|05 Aug||Warnemunde-Rostock, Germany|
|06 Aug||Copenhagen, Denmark|
|07 Aug||Aalborg, Denmark|
|08 Aug||Stavanger, Norway|
|09 Aug||Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Norway|
|10 Aug||Arriving in Bergen, Norway|
11 August 2018 13 nights / 14 days, one-way from Bergen to London Tilbury
|12 Aug||Departing from Bergen, Norway|
|13 Aug||Lerwick, Shetland Island, Scotland|
|14 Aug||Invergordon, Scotland|
|15 Aug||Edinburgh, Leith, Scotland|
|16 Aug||Kirkwall, Orkney Island, Scotland|
|17 Aug||Ullapool, Scotland|
|18 Aug||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|19 Aug||Liverpool, England|
|20 Aug||Holyhead, Isle of Anglesey, Wales|
|21 Aug||Dublin, Ireland|
|23 Aug||Dover, England|
|24 Aug||Arriving in London Tilbury, England|
25 August 2018 13 nights / 14 days, one-way from London Tilbury to Bergen
|26 Aug||Departing from London Tilbury, England|
|27 Aug||Dover, England|
|29 Aug||Dublin, Ireland|
|30 Aug||Holyhead, Isle of Anglesey, Wales|
|31 Aug||Liverpool, England|
|01 Sep||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|02 Sep||Ullapool, Scotland|
|03 Sep||Kirkwall, Orkney Island, Scotland|
|04 Sep||Edinburgh, Leith, Scotland|
|05 Sep||Invergordon, Scotland|
|06 Sep||Lerwick, Shetland Island, Scotland|
|07 Sep||Arriving in Bergen, Norway|