Silja Serenade ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Silja Serenade ferry
|Year built||1990 / Age : 28|
|Builder||Kvaerner Masa-Yards (Turku, STX Finland)|
|Class||cruise ferry (Ro-Ro ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Stockholm-Aland (Mariehamn)-Helsinki|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||203 m / 666 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||58377 gt|
|Decks with cabins||6|
Review of Silja Serenade ferry
MS Silja Serenade ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Estonia-based company TALLINK-SILJA LINE. The ship has max capacity of 2852 passengers and 450 cars plus 65 trucks / trailers. The vessel was launched in 1990 and currently operates on the Sweden-Finland ferry route Stockholm-Aland (Mariehamn)-Helsinki (crossing time 16 hours).
As cruiseferry, Silja Serenade has 986 cabins (double and quads / max capacity 4 passengers) with a total of 2841 berths, all located on decks 2, 5, 8, 9, 10 and 11. All staterooms are air-conditioned, with en-suite bathrooms and are both inside and outside. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). Cabins for passengers with allergies and passengers travelling with pets are also available. Room service can be ordered 4 days prior departure.
All cabins are with bunk beds (wall-mounted), en-suite bathrooms (angled sink, wall-mounted toilet, shower cubicle, hairdryer). Baby crib and potty (1 per cabin), as well as bed sides / rails (2 per cabin) are provided complimentary upon request.
Cabin categories include:
- (Deck 11) Executive Suite / double cabin (size 75 m2, slanted windows) - separate living room and bedroom (double bed), dressing room, 2 daybeds, flat TV, Blu-ray player, radio, phone, complimentary minibar, refrigerator, mirrored vanity table (writing desk with stool), 6-seat dining table, espresso machine, in-cabin sauna (whirlpool bath, bathrobes, slippers). In-cabin dining and beverages (1 bottle of champagne, drinks, fruits, Bon Vivant breakfast), room service and free access to Sunflower Oasis Sauna are included in the fares.
- (above the disco nightclub on Deck 9) Junior Suite / double cabin (former Conference Suites, slanted windows) - separate living room and bedroom (double bed), 2 armchairs, sofa (pull-out bed), flat TV, radio, phone, complimentary minibar, refrigerator, mirrored vanity table (writing desk with stool), 4-seat dining table, espresso machine, in-cabin sauna (whirlpool bath), In-cabin dining and beverages (1 bottle of champagne, drinks, fruits, Bon Vivant breakfast) and room service are included in the fares.
- (forward on Decks 10-11) Commodore / double cabin (size 25 m2, with balcony) - WC, shower / bathtub, double bed (convertible to twins), sofa (extra bed for 2 kids), flat TV, radio, phone, complimentary minibar, refrigerator, mirrored vanity table (writing desk with stool). Drinks, fruits, Bon Vivant breakfast (in-cabin dining) and room service are included in the fares.
- Note: The exclusive Commodore Lounge is for Commodore Cabin and Suite passengers only. The lounge is served by its own bar and also has a sauna room. The Commodore Lounge serves complimentary afternoon coffee / tea with fresh-baked pastries.
- (Deck 11) Deluxe / double cabin (size 14 m2) - window, WC, shower, double bed, sofa (extra bed for 1 kid), trouser press, flat TV, refrigerator (complimentary drinks), mirrored vanity table (writing desk with stool). Complimentary minibar and a special breakfast are included in the fares.
- (Decks 8-9-10-11) Family Cabin (outside, size 14-18 m2, max capacity 6 persons) - window, WC, shower, flat TV, refrigerator (complimentary drinks), mirrored vanity table (writing desk with stool), 2 lower bunk beds, 2 upper bunk beds, 1 double sofabed.
- (Decks 8-9-10-11) Promenade Cabin (Quad Outside, size 11 m2) - window (overlooking the ship's Promenade Deck / interior window view), 2 lower beds (convertible to 1 double), 2 bunk beds, WC, shower, flat TV.
- (Decks 9-11) Deluxe Promenade Cabin (double outside, size 14 m2) - window (overlooking the ship's Promenade Deck / interior window view), 2 lower beds (convertible to 1 double), WC, shower, flat TV, complimentary minibar.
- (Decks 5-8-11) A-Class Cabin (Quad Outside, size 11 m2) - window, 2 lower bunk beds, 1-2 upper bunk beds, WC, shower, flat TV.
- (Decks 5-9-10-11) B-Class Cabin (Quad Inside, size 11 m2) - no window, 2 lower beds (convertible to 1 double), 2 upper bunk beds, WC, shower.
- (Deck 2) C-Class Cabin (Quad Inside, size 11 m2) and C2-Class Cabin (Quad Inside, size 9 m2) - no window, 2 lower beds (convertible to 1 double), 2 upper bunk beds, WC, shower.
- (forward on Deck 8) Handicap Cabins (for disabled passengers) are sized 14 m2, each fitted with 3 beds, WC, shower, flat TV, wider doors (for wheelchair access), near-elevator location. Disabled cabins are available in categories A-Class Outside (6x) and Promenade (6x).
- (Deck 8) Allergy Cabins are in categories B-Class Inside (8x), Promenade (18x) and Commodore (2x), each with WC, shower, flat TV.
- (Decks 2 and 11) Pet Cabins (for passengers with pets) have capacity 2-4 persons, WC, shower, flat TV. Pet cabins are available in categories A-Class (4x), B-Class (3x) and C-Class (3x).
- "MOOMIN CABIN" is a passenger stateroom with Moomin-themed interior decorations and textiles.
- On Decks 3-4-5-9-12 are also located staff and crew cabins.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival. Passenger registration ends 1 hour prior ferry departure.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Silja Serenade ferry offers:
- (Deck 6) Grande Buffet (Self-Service Restaurant) offers Scandinavian and international dishes, soft drinks, tea, coffee, wine and beer - which are all included in the buffet meals price. The buffet restaurant has several theme-food stations, including Grill, Cold Table (meats, seafood), Green Market (Salads), Warm Dishes, Desserts.
- (Deck 7) Old Port Pub offers various beverages, classic pub snacks, small stage (for live performances by guest musicians).
- (Deck 7) El Capitan Grill House offers steakhouse food specialties.
- (Deck 7) Happy Lobster offers fresh fish and seafood. The menu is based on the day's catch. Brunch is also served here.
- (Deck 7) Mundo Tapas & Seafood Bar offers hot meals, salads, fast food, pizza, sandwiches.
- (Deck 6) Tavolata Ristorante Italiano serves traditional Italian food specialties, Deli items, premium olives, Roi Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- (Deck 7) Promenade Bar offers live music performances, coffee drinks, cocktails.
- (Deck 7) Bon Vivant Wine Bar & Shop is a fine dining restaurant with seasonal and themed food menus.
- (Decks 7 and 8) Atlantis Palace is 2-deck entertainment complex with show lounge (dance floor, grand stage / lower level, with 700 seats of which 400 provide a direct visual to the performers) and a panoramic restaurant with floor-ceiling windows.
- Onboard entertainment options include live performances by local music bands, party games, quizzes, music parties, bingo, karaoke, Midnight Show.
- (Deck 7) Fast Lane Restaurant allows passengers to create their own warm dishes and make fresh salads. There are also chefs for made-to-order food, as well as ready-made options.
- (Deck 6) Iskelma Bar offers local dance music and karaoke.
- (Deck 7) Coffee & Co cafeteria offers cold and hot meals (made-to-order food and ready-made options), fast food, pizza, sandwiches, light snacks, salads, desserts.
- (Deck 6) Tax Free Superstore is a duty-free store selling special occasion gifts and souvenirs, alcohol (brand spirits, wines), tobaccos, luxury-brand perfumes and cosmetics, jewelry, watches, sunglasses, leather goods, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, toys, electronics and gadgets, gourmet sweets, Deli food, handmade teas and spices. Special offers (shopping promotions) are offered on each ferry crossing. Payments can be made in cash or via bank cards (VISA, MasterCard, EuroCard).
- (Deck 7) Luxury store sells a wide range of watches, jewelry, sunglasses, scarves, bags, wallets. The selection includes brands like Armani, Prada, Gucci, Hugo Boss, Sif Jakobs, Skagen, Tag Heuer, Versace.
- (Deck 7) Gift & Electronics shop sells Finnish design products from brands like Iittala, Arabia, Marimekko. Passengers can also buy traveler's electronics (Bose, Marshall), smartphones, tablets, gadgets and accessories.
- (Deck 7) Kids & Toys Shop sells a large selection of kids toys by Lego, Hot Wheels, Moomin toys, also kids shoes, clothing and accessories from brands like Mayoral and Lundmyr.
- (Deck 7) Fashion Shop sells designer clothes and accessories (Tommy Hilfiger, Guess, Esprit, Superdry, Marc O' Polo, Desigual).
- (Deck 7) Desigual is a new fashion store selling fashionable clothing for adults and kids, household textiles.
- (Deck 6) Conference Department (opening hours 9 am - 9 pm) has all 21 different conference rooms with combined area 1100 m2. All rooms are fitted with latest technology presentation equipment. there is a separate lobby area. Conference facilities are closed during peak season (mid June through mid August) as the area is built into "Summer Center" (play area for kids-themed activities).
- (Deck 7) Silja Land / Childrens Playroom (290 m2) is the ship's indoor playground area fitted with TV (for watching cartoons), Ball Pit Pool, craft tables. On each cruise, kIds here meet the cartoon character Moomin and the SILJA LINE mascot Harri Hylje (Harry the Seal). Also here is the PlayStation Lounge (separate room for video games and arcade machines).
- (Deck 5) Spa, Driver's Club (exclusive bar lounge for truck drivers)
- (Deck 12) Sunflower Oasis is an indoor spa complex with jacuzzis, saunas, swimming pool, pool bar, direct access to Sun Deck. Private saunas are offered for 1-10 persons.
- (Deck 12) Atlantic Palace (disco nightclub) offers DJ hits, club music, party quizzes.
- (Deck 7) Casino has gaming tables (roulette, poker) and slot machines. A good selection of whiskies is offered at the casino bar Just Bar.
- (Lobby Deck) Wi-Fi service, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception). Nurse can be also reached via the Reception. Small lockers are available for valuables.
- (Deck 13) New York Club Lounge offers DJ hits, club music, party quizzes in the evenings. Also here (forward) is the ship's Navigation Bridge.
- (Sun Deck 12) is an outdoor deck area. Here are also located Sunflower Oasis (sauna rooms, swimming pool, jacuzzis) and some crew cabins.
- (Deck 14) Midship on top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
TALLINK-SILJA LINE deals
- 2-day cruise deals ("Europa 22 hour") are offered only shuttle ferries (Star, Megastar) with departures from Helsinki (embarkation 8 am) to Tallinn (disembarkation 12:10 pm on the next day).
- On all Tallink-Silja ships (excepting shuttle ferries) is available Room Service with a la carte priced special occasion gifts, sweets and beverage menus. However, cabin services must be ordered 4 days prior departure.
- Onboard Conference Rooms are equipped with data projectors and white screens, and available for booking with group rates (extra charge pp). The room must be booked for at least 2 hours, and for minimum 10 persons. Catering (snack package or buffet meals, also refreshments) can be booked additionally.
- Smoking on the ship is prohibited in all cabins, restaurants, bars and lounges, corridors, elevators, stairwells. Smoking on the ship is allowed at designated areas and only on outdoor decks (look for "Smoking Area" signs).
- "Collect and Save" program is based on collecting stickers with onboard purchases (on all Tallink-Silja ships stores). The program allows purchasing of selected products at up to 57% discount prices. With every purchase (min value EUR 10), the passenger receives 1 sticker (to be glued inside a campaign folder). By the "Collect and Save" campaign, passengers can buy different products after collected 10, 20 or 30 stickers. These products are handed out and paid at the Info Stand or at the ship's shops. The "Collect and Save" offers are limited to a time period, or until select products are out of stock.
- "Club One" is the company's loyalty program rewarding passengers travelling frequently with Tallink-Silja ferries. By the program are accrued bonus points - based on ferry tickets and onboard purchases), but also on Tallink Hotels rooms booked via Tallink-Silja. The program has 3 levels (Bronze, Silver, Gold) determined by the bonus points. Bonus points can be used for booking voyages, getting onboard shopping and dining discounts, Tallink Hotels (Tallinn and Riga) 10% discount plus benefits, Tallink Takso (Tallinn) 5% discount, Europark (Helsinki) 15% car parking discount.
Garage Decks are numbers 3 and 4. On Deck 1 is the Engine Room (extending to Deck 2) and other technical rooms. On Decks 3-4 are located most crew cabins and facilities (dining / bar lounge, mess hall), the Brig (ship jail). Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specificassistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Tallink (headquartered in Tallinn, Estonia) is an Estonian shipping company that operates Baltic Sea cruise ferries and RoPax vessels with direct services connecting Estonia with Finland and Sweden. and Sweden with Finland and Latvia. Tallink-Silja current fleet includes the ships Baltic Princess, Baltic Queen, Silja Europa, Silja Galaxy, Silja Serenade, Silja Symphony, Tallink Isabelle, Tallink Megastar, Tallink Romantika, Tallink Star, Tallink Victoria.
Silja Serenade ferry wiki
- The shipbuilding contract for Silja Serenade was signed on October 26, 1987. The vessel;s construction started on May 29, 1989 (keel-laying at Masa-Yards in Turku, Finland). The ship was launched and christened on November 6, 1989, delivered to TALLINK on November 15, 1990, and entered service on November 17.
- The ship is powered by 4x Wartsila marine diesel engines (model 9R46, combined output 32,5 MW).
- The vessel design features an interior promenade running full length along the ship's central axis. This revolutionary new design allowed more passenger cabins with windows (overlooking the ship's interior).
- During the drydock refit in October 2010, Deck 13 was completely rebuilt. Silja Dream Teather / Cinema, Club Bali (disco) and Chill Club Lounge were removed and replaced with the New York Club Lounge.