Silja Europa ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Silja Europa ferry
|Year built||1993 / Age : 27|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Helsinki-Tallinn|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||202 m / 663 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||59914 gt|
|Decks with cabins||5|
Current position of Silja Europa ferry
Review of Silja Europa ferry
MS Silja Europa ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Estonia-based company TALLINK-SILJA LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 3123 passengers and 400 cars plus 60 trucks/trailers. The vessel was launched in 1993 and currently operates on the Finland-Estonia ferry route Helsinki-Tallinn (crossing time 2 hours).
As cruise ferry, Silja Europa has 1152 cabins (double and quads/max capacity 4 passengers) with a total of 3644 berths, all located on decks 5, 9, 10 and 11. All staterooms are air-conditioned, with en-suite bathrooms and are both inside and outside. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). Cabins for passengers with allergies and passengers traveling with pets are also available.
All cabins are with bunk beds (wall-mounted), en-suite bathrooms (angled sink, wall-mounted toilet, shower cubicle, hairdryer). Baby crib and potty (1 per cabin), as well as bedsides/rails (2 per cabin), are provided complimentary upon request. Room service can be ordered 4 days prior departure.
Cabin categories include:
- (Deck 11) Executive Suite / double cabin (size 43-46 m2) - separate bedroom (double bed / non-convertible) and living room, sofa, refrigerator, complimentary minibar, flat TV, in-cabin sauna (with whirlpool), phone, electronic safe. Special breakfast and refreshments (soft drinks, fruits) are included in the "Europa 22 hour" / 2-day mini-cruise fares.
- (Deck 11) Deluxe / double cabin (size 16 m2, bay window) - Bay Window (floor-ceiling), WC, shower, double bed (non-convertible to twins), flat TV, refrigerator (complimentary drinks), mirrored vanity table (writing desk with chair). Complimentary minibar and special breakfast are included in the "Europa 22 hour" / 2-day mini-cruise fares.
- (Deck 5) Family Cabins (Inside and Outside, capacity 4-6 persons) - 2 connecting cabins with 2 bathrooms, 2 sofabeds, 2 lower bunk beds, 2 upper bunk beds, 2 flat TVs.
- (Decks 5-9-10) A-Class Cabin (Quad Outside, size 9-10 m2) - bay window, mirrored vanity table (writing desk with chair), WC, shower, flat TV. Cabins for allergic and disabled passengers, as well as pet cabins, are also available.
- (Decks 5-9-10-11) B-Class Cabin (Quad Inside, size 9 m2) - no window, WC, shower, flat TV.
- (Decks 5-9) B2-Class Cabin (Quad Inside, size 7 m2, no window) - WC, shower, flat TV.
- (Deck 2) C-Class Cabin (Quad Inside, size 8 m2, no window) - 2 lower beds (non-convertible to double), 2 upper bunk beds, WC, shower, flat TV.
- (Deck 5) Allergy Cabins are in categories Family, A-Class and B-Class, each with WC, shower, flat TV.
- (Deck 5) Handicap Cabins (for disabled passengers) are in category A-Class Outside (size13 m2), each with bay window, 1 sofabed, 1 lower bed, 1 bunk bed, WC, shower, flat TV, wider doors (for wheelchair access), near-elevator location.
- (Deck 5) Pet Cabins (for passengers with pets) have capacity 2-4 persons, WC, shower, flat TV, linoleum flooring. Pet cabins are available in categories A-Class, B-Class and C-Class.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival. Passenger registration ends 1 hour prior to ferry departure.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Silja Europa ferry offers:
- New Grande Buffet (Self-Service Restaurant) offers Scandinavian and international dishes, soft drinks, tea, coffee, wine, and beer, which are all included in the buffet meals price. The buffet restaurant has several theme-food stations, including Grill, Cold Table (meats, seafood), Green Market (Salads), Warm Dishes, Desserts.
- Grill House offers steakhouse food specialties.
- Fast Lane Restaurant allows passengers to create their own warm dishes and make fresh salads. There are also chefs for made-to-order food, as well as ready-made options.
- Tavolata Ristorante Italiano serves traditional Italian food specialties, Deli items, premium olives, Roi Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Coffee & Co (Cafeteria / Patisserie / Coffee Bar) offers cold and warm beverages, light snacks (including fresh-baked pastries, yogurts, fruit smoothies, sweet crepes) and meals (made-to-order food and ready-made options). Coffee drinks are fresh-brewed (from freshly ground beans). The Cafe also has a takeaway desk.
- (Deck 8) Joe's Place Pub offers various beverages, classic pub snacks, small stage (for live performances by guest musicians).
- (Deck 8) Corner Bar offers aperitives, cocktails, coffee, light snacks.
- (Deck 7) Children's Playroom is the ship's indoor playground area fitted with TV (for watching cartoons), Ball Pit Pool, craft tables. On each cruise, kids here meet the cartoon character Moomin and the SILJA LINE mascot Harri Hylje (Harry the Seal). Also here is the PlayStation Lounge (separate room for video games and arcade machines).
- (Deck 7) Moonlight Disco Nightclub offers DJ hits, club music, party quizzes.
- (Deck 8) Ocean Club offers live music and a themed Midnight Show.
- (Deck 7) Tax Free Superstore is a duty-free store selling special occasion gifts and souvenirs, alcohol (brand spirits, wines), tobaccos, luxury-brand perfumes and cosmetics, jewelry, watches, sunglasses, leather goods, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, toys, electronics and gadgets, gourmet sweets, Deli food, handmade teas and spices. Special offers (shopping promotions) are offered on each ferry crossing. Payments can be made in cash or via bank cards (VISA, MasterCard, EuroCard).
- (Deck 7) Cosmetic Boutique sells luxury perfumes, cosmetics, skin care products.
- (Deck 7) Gifts & Toys Shop sells fashion clothing (for adults and kids), designer jewelry, cosmetics, gadgets and electronics, gifts, souvenirs, toys.
- (Deck 12) Sauna Beach has 2 reserved saunas, unisex public saunas, bar, swimming pools (for kids and adults).
- (Deck 12) Hera Salongid (Beauty Salon) offers professional services by certified cosmeticians, hairdressers and masseuses (face and body treatments, hair styling and coloring, manicure, pedicure). Reservations are required 24 hours prior departure.
- (Lobby Deck) Wi-Fi service, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception). A nurse can be also reached via the Reception. Small lockers are available for valuables.
- On Deck 10 is the ship's Navigation Bridge. Midship on top deck there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
TALLINK-SILJA LINE deals
- 2-day cruise deals ("Europa 22 hour") are offered only shuttle ferries with departures from Helsinki (embarkation 8 am) to Tallinn (disembarkation 12:10 pm on the next day).
- On all Tallink-Silja ships (excepting shuttle ferries) is available Room Service with a la carte priced special occasion gifts, sweets, and beverage menus. However, cabin services must be ordered 4 days prior departure.
- The Conference Room (equipped with modern data projectors and white screens) is available for booking with group rates (extra charge pp). The room must be booked for at least 2 hours, and for a minimum of 20 persons. Catering (snack package or buffet meals, also refreshments) can be booked additionally.
- Smoking on the ship is prohibited in all cabins, restaurants, bars and lounges, corridors, elevators, stairwells. Smoking on the ship is allowed at designated areas and only on outdoor decks (look for "Smoking Area" signs).
- "Collect and Save" program is based on collecting stickers with onboard purchases (on all Tallink-Silja ships stores). The program allows purchasing of selected products at up to 57% discount prices. With every purchase (min value EUR 10), the passenger receives 1 sticker (to be glued inside a campaign folder). By the "Collect and Save" campaign, passengers can buy different products after collected 10, 20 or 30 stickers. These products are handed out and paid at the Info Stand or at the ship's shops. The "Collect and Save" offers are limited to a time period, or until select products are out of stock.
- "Club One" is the company's loyalty program rewarding passengers traveling frequently with Tallink-Silja ferries. By the program are accrued bonus points - based on ferry tickets and onboard purchases), but also on Tallink Hotels rooms booked via Tallink-Silja. The program has 3 levels (Bronze, Silver, Gold) determined by the bonus points. Bonus points can be used for booking voyages, getting onboard shopping and dining discounts, Tallink Hotels (Tallinn and Riga) 10% discount plus benefits, Tallink Takso (Tallinn) 5% discount, Europark (Helsinki) 15% car parking discount.
Garage Decks are numbers 3 and 4. On Deck 1 are the Engine Room (extending to Deck 2) and other technical rooms. On Decks 3 and 4 are also all crew cabins and facilities (dining/bar lounge, mess hall), the Brig (ship jail). Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Tallink (headquartered in Tallinn, Estonia) is an Estonian shipping company that operates Baltic Sea cruise ferries and RoPax vessels with direct services connecting Estonia with Finland and Sweden. and Sweden with Finland and Latvia. Tallink-Silja current fleet includes the ships Baltic Princess, Baltic Queen, Silja Europa, Silja Galaxy, Silja Serenade, Silja Symphony, Tallink Isabelle, Tallink Megastar, Tallink MySTAR (2022), Tallink Romantika, Tallink Star, Tallink Victoria.
Silja Europa ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Silja Europa ferryAdd Photo
Silja Europa ferry ship related cruise news
Two dead bodies have been found Saturday night, October 19, on the TALLINK-owned cruiseferry Silja Europa while the ship docked in homeport Tallinn...October 21, 2019
- show more news
Other TALLINK-SILJA cruise ships
Silja Europa ferry Wiki
With passenger capacity 3644 (total berths), Silja Europa is among the world's largest cruise ferries. The shipbuilding contract for Silja Europa was signed on October 6, 1989. The vessel's construction started on November 6, 1991 (keel-laying at Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg Germany). The ship was launched on January 23, 1993, christened on March 5, delivered to TALLINK on March 6 and entered service on March 13, 1993.
The vessel was originally ordered by "Rederi AB Slite" - Swedish company (founded 1947, bankrupt 1993), at that time one of the 3 companies merged into VIKING LINE. The ship was almost ready for delivery, when in 1993 the Swedish krona (SEK) devaluated by 10%, which led to economic difficulties for Swedish the shipowner. Unable to pay for the ship, Rederi AB Slite lost the vessel, which Meyer Werft sold to the Finnish company "Fahrschiff Europa KB". The new shipowner chartered it to SILJA LINE for a 10-year period (1993-2003).
Initially, the ferry was deployed on the route Helsinki-Stockholm, replacing there the fleet mate Silja Serenade (redeployed on the route Turku-Aland-Stockholm). The ship is powered by 4x MAN marine diesel engines (model 6L58/64, combined output 31,8 MW). The propulsion system consists of 2x shafts with controllable pitch propellers.
On September 28, 1994, the ship assisted the rescue operation during MS Estonia sinking (read there at page bottom).
This shipwreck disaster resulted in 852 dead, ranking it Europe's second-deadliest (after RMS Titanic) and world's third-deadliest (after "MS Al-Salam Boccaccio 98" sinking).
Silja Europa ship refurbishment 2020 review
The ship was last drydock refurbished in 2020 (January 26 - February 8) at Turku Repair Yard (Naantali Finland). During the drydocking were conducted scheduled maintenance works, technical upgrades as well as extensively renovations of passenger areas, including Starlight Palace (bar lounge), Satellite Bar, Sauna Bar, new carpeting (passenger and crew hallways, stairways, cabins, SPA, Wheelhouse, crew corridor on Deck 6). Renovated were the ceilings in the Buffet Restaurant and Sea Shop. The Conference Rooms were redesigned (combined into one room), renovated and received new equipment.
Technical upgrades included installing shoreside power connectivity (high-voltage electricity supply when berthed in ports), installing Ballast Water Treatment System (to filter and treat ballast water), replacing the ship's provision cooling-, automation- and power management systems.
Silja Europa ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review