Costa Fortuna Review and Specifications
Specifications of Costa Fortuna
|Builder||Fincantieri (Sestri Ponente, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 450 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||272 m / 892 ft|
|Beam (width)||38 m / 125 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||102587 gt|
|Passengers||2698 - 3250|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Maria Grazia Cucinotta|
Review of Costa Fortuna
Launched in 2003, Costa Fortuna is the fourth Destiny-class Costa ship, together with Costa Magica and Carnival Cruise Lines ships Triumph, Victory and Destiny/Sunshine. The ship cost US $380 million to build.
History - construction & ownership
Costa Crociere is a British-American owned Italian cruise line based in Genoa, Italy. Costa is one of the main operating companies in the Carnival group, and a member of the exclusive “World’s Leading Cruise Lines Alliance” (WLCLA), which also includes Carnival, Cunard, Holland America, The Yachts of Seabourn, Princess, and Windstar. One of the best cruise lines for Mediterranean and among the best family lines, the Costa company rules over Europe with its best “Italian Style Cruising” experiences.
The 102,587-ton, 2,720-passenger cruise ship Costa Fortuna is a lead member of the enormous family of Carnival Corporation. Fortuna was released in November 2003. Today the liner represents continuing evolution. The Genoa company’s strategy is to secure mostly European base with the conveniences that North American passengers now demand – high balcony ratio, alternative dining, and splashy decorating. The interesting thing about Costa Cruises Fortuna ship is that she was built on a platform which is the same as Carnival Victory and Carnival Triumph cruise liners, and looks like Carnival Conquest and Carnival Sunshine in many ways.
Cruise itinerary program
Costa Fortuna itinerary program was based on Caribbean round-trip cruises from Pointe-a-Pitre (Guadeloupe). In the summer, Fortuna sailrd in Europe on Mediterranean itineraries from Rome, Barcelona and Savona, as well as to the Norwegian Fjords, leaving from Amsterdam, with Transatlantic repositioning crossings.
Currently (as of April 22, 2016), Costa Fortuna is based in Asia.
Most Costa Fortuna staterooms are 185-sq.foot Balcony rooms (464) - nearly 40% of all staterooms have a private balcony. There are a total of 1358 staterooms in 11 categories. 27 are the wheelchair accessible cabins. The largest aboard Costa Fortuna are the Grand Suites (345 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Mealtimes on Fortuna generally follow the traditions rahter than set the pace for innovations. At breakfast, there is casual fare in ship's Restaurant Buffet Colombo 1954, including omelets to order, along with cold cheeses and cuts. At lunch expect the addition of an outdoor grill by the pool, where you can get grilled chicken, French fries and twice-cooked burgers. Lunch in either of the restaurants offers daily specials. There is also a daily "tea time" in the buffet. Dinner is the big event onboard Costa Fortuna. Most of the attention is focused on a formal-style meal that can last 3 hours. Alternatives are limited to Restaurant Buffet Cristoforo Colombo 1954, transformed into a pizzeria from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m., and Club Grand Conte 1927, at top of the ship, for a romantic experience (with EUR 23 service charge).
Follows the complete list of Costa Fortuna restaurants and food bars.
- Ristorante Raffaello 1965 (complimentary forward Dining Room, operates with open seating Breakfast and Lunch, 2 assigned seatings for Dinner - at 6:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.)
- Ristorante Michelangelo 1965 (complimentary 2-level aft Dining Room with 2 fixed Dinner seatings)
- Club Conte Grande 1927 (specialty a la carte restaurant; Steakhouse menu and extensive wine list; dinner-only, reservations required)
- Ristorante Buffet Cristoforo Colombo 1954 (self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary; offers breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea at 4-5:00 p.m., and dinner; in the evening is transformed into Pizzeria, complimentary, with waiter service).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Costa Fortuna was designed by Carnival ships design-master Joe Farcus. What passengers get is a pan-European voyage mixed with the comforts of the American style. Fortuna cruise ship provides casino, theater, three pools & five jacuzzis plus SPA. Club Squok is the ship's kids' facility. Teens have their own area next door. Club Squok counselors involve kids in various events, so activities are wide-spread. There is also a toddler pool area with a mini-jungle gym.
Follows the complete list of Costa Fortuna lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Teatro Rex 1932 (3-tiered theatre and main show lounge; hosts grand scale show productions, musicals, classical concerts, ballet performances, circus and laser light shows)
- Grand Bar Conte Di Savoia 1932 (with own dance floor and stage for live performances; hosts quiz games and fashion reviews)
- Bar Classico Roma 1926 (Cigar Lounge & Bar; also selling cigars and fine liquor)
- Galleria d’Arte (Fortuna’s Art Gallery)
- Sala Carte (cards room)
- Casino Neptunia 1932
- Fortuna Atrium (multi-deck “Atrio Costa” - open-floor area with live music and entertainment, served by Costa Lobby Bar)
- Sala da Ballo Conte Verde 1923 (lounge with dance floor and own bar)
- Piano Bar Conte Rosso 1921 (stage for cabaret performances, live music, own dance floor)
- Salone Leonardo Da Vinci 1960 (grand lounge with round-shaped bar and stage)
- Discoteca Vulcania 1927 (2-level Disco & Nightclub, DJ program nightly)
- Internet Point (Internet computers room); Biblioteca Galileo Gallilei 1963 (Library)
- Galleria Negozi Shops (duty & tax free shops for brand watches, jewelry, perfumes, fashion clothes, Costa-logo merchandise, sportswear, gifts, tobacco and liquor)
- Area Foto (Photo Gallery & Shop)
- Mondo Virtuale (Video Games Arcade)
- Cappella (Wedding Chapel, also used for religious services)
- Squok Club (kids lounge with Mini Club (3-6 yo) and Maxi Club (7-11 yo) playing rooms; with complimentary kids programme and supervised activities; complimentary babysitting)
- Teen Zone (teenagers' lounge with Teen Junior (12-14 yo) and Teen Club (15-17 yo) rooms; complimentary supervised activities, themed parties, sport contests)
- Club Salute Saturnia Spa & Wellness Center (14,000 ft2 / 1,300 m2, with Venus Beauty Salon, Gym, Relaxation Room, Massage-Treatment Rooms, UVA Solarium, Sauna, Turkish Bath, Thermal Suites, spa pool; the Gym and the Sauna are complimentary)
- Lido Oceania 1932 pool area (lido pool with two Whirlpools, served by Oceania Bar)
- Lido Colombo 1954 pool area (with two Whirlpools and with retractable glass roof; served by Colombo Bar & Grill)
- Lido Barcellona pool area (one Whirlpool)
- Kids Pool (wading pool)
- Solarium (open-air relaxation area, served by Solarium Bar)
- Campo da Gioco (combined court for tennis and basketball); Pista da Jogging (Power Walking/Jogging Track).
Costa Fortuna wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 9
- Total number of cabins: 1358 (of which 58 Suite, 464 Balcony, 507 Inside rooms)
- Dining Rooms: Raffaello 1965, Michelangelo 1965
- Restaurants and food bars: Cristoforo Colombo 1954 (buffet), Club Conte Grande 1927 (at surcharge).
- Lounges & Bars: Rex 1932 (theater), Vulcania 1927 (2-levels nightclub), Costa (lobby), Conte Rosso 1921 (piano), Roma 1926 (smoking), Conte Verde 1923 (ballroom), Conte Di Savoia 1932 (dancing), Leonardo Da Vinci 1960, teens-kids clubs (Teen Zone, Squok Club), Solarium, poolside bars.
- Amenities: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service & Babysitting, Supervised Children Program, Internet, Laundry, Onboard Weddings, single cabins (14).
- Neptunia 1932 (casino), Promenade (Deck 4), Club Salute Saturnia (Spa with adult-only pool), 6 jacuzzis, 4 pools (Colombo 1954 /covered, Oceania 1932, Barcellona, kids pool), Jogging Track, Fortuna Water Park with slide, Mondo Virtuale (arcade).
- Costa Fortuna cruise ship is of the line's Destiny-class vessels. Her sister in the fleet is Costa Magica, and also Carnival Destiny (Carnival Sunshine since 2013), Carnival Triumph, Carnival Victory.
- Costa Cruises Fortuna has almost the same architecture as the Destiny-class (oldest) Carnival Cruise Lines ships. However, Fortuna is somehow resembling an old Italian steamship. In the Fortuna's atrium the passengers can see exhibitions of ships' models. Many Italian steamships, along with 26 Costa ships (including Fortuna herself) are arranged upside down there.
- Joe Farcus designed the Fortuna's interior and she looks like a classic Italian vessel. All her public rooms are named after and inspired by a different vessel.
- In 2016, Costa Asia cruise company confirmed that Fortuna will join the other three Costa ships, further increasing the line's capacity on the Chinese market by 38%. In early 2016, Fortuna operated on round-trip itineraries leaving from China (home-port Shanghai), with berthing at Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal. The list of Costa Asia ships in 2017 also included Atlantica, neoRomantica, Serena and Victoria.
Costa Fortuna related cruise news
Costa Cruises announced that starting in April 2017, line's 1,800-passenger ship Costa neoRomantica will be based in Asia. This way, Costa vessels...April 17, 2016
The first international line to enter China and Asia Pacific in 2006, Costa Cruises has been named “Asia Best Cruise Line” for industry...September 2, 2015
As previously reported, Carnival Corporation announced the addition of two ships to line's China fleet in 2016, which makes it the first global...July 23, 2015
Costa Cruises will celebrate June 2, Italian Republic Day, onboard company's Italian-flagged cruise ships. The celebratory events will be organized...May 29, 2015
Costa Serena celebrated today her maiden call at Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal while at the same time the Italian cruise...April 24, 2015
A Caribbean newspaper reports that Carnival Cruise Lines' Costa Fortuna with over 4,000 passengers and crew was stuck in Road Harbour on Tortola...February 27, 2015