Costa Smeralda Review and Specifications
Specifications of Costa Smeralda
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Meyer Turku (Turku, Finland)|
|Building cost||EUR 790 million (USD 950 million)|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||17 kn / 31 kph / 20 mph|
|Length (LOA)||337 m / 1106 ft|
|Beam (width)||42 m / 138 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||183900 gt|
|Passengers||5200 - 6518|
Review of Costa Smeralda
Costa Smeralda cruise ship is from the new Helios-class vessels ordered by Carnival Corporation. The shiporder agreement with Meyer Werft was signed in July 2015 and included construction of all 4 new cruise ships. The contract was finalized in April 2016. Of these 4 vessels, 2 are for Costa Cruises and the other 2 for AIDA Cruises (Carnival's German brand). The sister-ships in the AIDA fleet are AIDAnova (2018 fall) and a still unnamed ship (scheduled launch 2021 spring).
- The new Costa ships were scheduled for delivery in 2019 (Smeralda) and 2020 (still unnamed sister-ship). Costa cruise liners were built in Turku Finland, AIDA's - in Papenburg Germany.
- Each vessel has gross tonnage of 183,000 tons, over 2600 cabins, double-occupancy passenger capacity 5200 (max 6600) and crew capacity around 700.
- Ship's design features more efficient use of both indoor and open-deck spaces, with several multi-functional areas. Deck 16 is the activity deck with a water slide, water park, high rope garden, mini golf. The pool deck is covered with retractable glass roof. The Beach Club (adults only complex) is beneath the glass roof and features an activity area with 2 waterslides, rock climbing wall, sports deck area. This deck also has a giant LED wall for movies and other outdoor video entertainment. The ship has dedicated club lounges for teens and kids, including for toddlers.
- The ship's panoramic glass elevators also connect the outdoor areas. There is a 45-m above water level located glass-bottomed skywalk, huge wellness complex (Organic Spa and Fitness), plaza with numerous bars and shops, Atrium Lobby lounge (meeting place with stage for street performers), large-capacity Theater (show lounge).
- The new ships for Costa and AIDA are the industry's first fully LNG-powered cruise vessels, generating all of the onboard and propulsion power from LNG (abbrev Liquefied Natural Gas) - both in ports and at sea.
- With the new liners, Costa Group had a fleet of 7 ships on order. This brand new fleet has total capacity 41,000 berths. In comparison, the combined total capacity of Costa's fleet is 110,000 berths.
The 4-vessel contract was part of a previously announced larger shipbuilding order with Fincantieri (Italy) and Meyer Werft for all 9 new vessels with scheduled deliveries between 2019 and 2022.
Managed by Costa Group, the Costa and AIDA combinjed fleet is Europe's largest. In 2014, one out of every two cruise ship tourists in Europe sailed on either AIDA or Costa ship. In 2015, Costa Group had 20 offices in 14 countries, around 27,000 shipbard employees and total passenger capacity of over 68,000 berths (across the combined fleet). Costa Group also is the leader on China's rapidly growing cruise market in Asia.
Costa Smeralda itinerary program will be based on Western Mediterranean cruises leaving from Italian ports More details are expected sometime in 2018.
Costa Smeralda wiki
On September 13, 2017, was the vessel's steel-cutting ceremony held at Meyer Turku shipyard in Perno Finland. The Smeralda ship was scheduled for delivery in October 2019. A sister-ship follows in 2021.
Costa Smeralda ship related cruise news
The official steel cutting ceremony for the first of two Costa Cruises newbuilds to be powered by LNG (liquefied natural gas) was held on...September 14, 2017
- show more news