MS Victory I Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Victory I
|Year built||2001 / Age : 16|
|Builder||Atlantic Marine (Jacksonville, Florida USA) BAE Systems Southeast Shipyards|
|Building cost||$30 million|
|Owner||SunStone Ships Inc|
|Operator||Victory Cruise Line|
|Speed||12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph|
|Length (LOA)||87 m / 285 ft|
|Beam (width)||15 m / 49 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||4954 gt|
|Passengers||210 - 216|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Former names||Cape May Light, Sea Voyager, MS Saint Laurent|
Review of MS Victory I
MS Victory I cruise ship ("MS Saint Laurent" until 2015) was initially owned by the company Haimark Line (subsidiary of the luxury river cruisetour operator Haimark Travel). Haimark declared bankruptcy in the end of 2015. Currently, the ship is owned by Clipper Group and chartered to Victory Cruise Lines under the name "MS Victory 1". Starting in 2016, this new USA river cruise line operates itineraries on the Great Lakes (USA and Canada) during summer, and to Cuba roundtrip from Florida (during fall and winter months).
From the same series (sister-ship) is the fleetmate MS Victory 2 (formerly Cape Cod Light, and Sea Discoverer).
History - construction & ownership
The 210-passenger cruise ship Victory I was built in 2001 (launched as "Cape May Light") by Atlantic Marine (shipyard Jacksonville Florida / now BAE Systems Southeast Florida). Previously, the vessel was operated under the names Clipper Voyager, Sea Voyager, and Saint Laurent. The vessel was originally built for the Great Lakes Cruises (USA company) and designated for expedition voyages with itineraries in Central and South America.
The vessel's current owner is the Copenhagen-based Albatros Travel company, that specializes in polar expedition cruises and tours. The company Cruise Management International Inc provides the ship's deck and engine management, while the sister-company CMI Leisure Management Inc handles the onboard hotel operations.
MS Saint Laurent ship’s inaugural cruises for Haimark was on May 30, 2015 from Montreal Canada. Before the launch, Haimark Line invested USD 3,5 million for an extensive drydock refurbishment of all interior spaces. Then the ship was renamed from "Cape May Light". Unfortunately, on June 18, 2015, with all 274 people on board, the St Laurent cruise ship collided with the concrete wall bumper of Eisenhower Lock (Saint Lawrence Seaway) located near Massena NY. The number of injured was 21.
In April 2016 was announced that the vessel's operator Haimark Line Ltd had cancelled all scheduled voyages. All booked Haimark customers were refunded, but the company didn't provide reimbursement for air travel payments, hotels or other expenses that don't constitute water transportation or related services. Booked travelers who have previously obtained a refund from their travel insurance or credit card issuer were not eligible.
Cruise itinerary program
MV Victory 1 itinerary calendar has regularly scheduled Great Lakes and St Lawrence Seaway cruises in USA and Canada. The ship also operates reglar cruises to Cuba leaving round-trip from Miami Florida. The newly refurbished ship entered service on July 8, 2016.
The USA-Canada cruise itinerary program offers 15-day voyages leaving out of Chicago (Navy Pier), Toronto and Montreal. Cuba cruises from Miami started on October 28, 2016. The roundtrip itineraries range from 4-days (Miami to Havana) to 14-days (around Cuba / circumnavigation itinerary.
The inaugural Cuba cruise departs February 8, 2018. The 14-night itinerary visits 5 Cuban ports - overnights in Havana and Santiago de Cuba plus Trinidad, Cienfuegos and Maria la Gorda. Following the maiden voyage, Victory 1 cruises out of Miami on 5 more itineraries (departures Feb 22, Mar 9, 24, Apr 7, 20).
2018 winter season ends with an 11-day repositioning cruise (May 5) with with included flight Miami to Havana and an overnight.
Victory 1 cruise ship fares are inclusive of all daily-scheduled tours (excursions ashore), including full-day Niagara Falls and Mackinac Island (Lake Huron). Deals are also inclusive of alcohol (beer and wine) at lunch and dinner.
In October 2017, Victory Cruise Lines announced inaugural Cuba cruise season with 13- to 15-night island circumnavigation itineraries starting in March 2018. All the themed "Cuba 360-degree" itineraries circumnavigate Cuba and visit UNESCO sites as part of the company's shore excursions program. All-inclusive fares (per person, double occupancy) start from USD 7,000, with promo prices from USD 5,500 plus USD 400 airfare credit. The first Cuban cruises from Miami were with scheduled departures on March 9 and 24 and April 7 and 20.
MS Saint Laurent features a beautifully appointed interior with only 105 staterooms. Its stylish staterooms offer high thread-count bedding, premium mattresses, pillow menus and L’Occitane bath amenities. Passengers enjoy free WiFi Internet access and 24-hour room service, as well as nightly turndown service. The stateroom entertainment systems feature LCD flat screen televisions with satellite programming and radio/alarm clocks with Ipod Docking Station. Outside staterooms include armoires and picture windows for panoramic views.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
MS Saint Laurent dining options include Shearwater dining room, Tavern and Outdoor Grill. Guests can enjoy fine à la carte dining in the main restaurant or the outdoor Cliff Rock Grill & Bar. they can treat themselves to fresh “hot rock” cooking at Cliff Rock, savor regionally inspired cuisine and western classics at Shearwater Dining Room, indulge in delightful afternoon tea service, complete with cakes and cookies, mingle with old and new friends in ship's English-style Seascape Tavern.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The ship has an Observation lounge, Sun Deck, Terrace and Boutique. Expertly guided shore excursions are included. Learn Aboard (shipboard enrichment program) is hosted by experts in culture, history and natural wonders of the places visited.
Victory Cruise Lines deals
Follows the list of onboard amenities and services offered complimentary to all passengers (cruise price inclusive) regardless of cabin grades:
- accommodation: sleeping area (2 twin beds or 1 queen bed / excepting Owners Suites and Category E (with 1 fixed queen bed, 100% Egyptian cotton bedding sets, premium mattresses), en-suite bathroom (robes, slippers, make-up mirror, hairdryer), electronic safe (in the closet), individual climate control, flat LCD TV (satellite programming), direct dial phone (outside line), radio (alarm, docking station)
- daily housekeeping, nightly turndown service
- daily tour (1 excursion in each cruise port)
- complimentary drinks (coffee, tea, bottled water, soft drinks, house brand beers and wine by the glass with all lunches and dinners)
- all onboard meals
- brunch time Consumme and Afternoon Tea service
Not included in the cruise deals are:
- flights (domestic or international airfare to and from the port destination)
- Other beverages (not mentioned above)
- gratuities (onboard and on shore excursions),port charges, cruise insurance.
Victory Cruise Line's closest competitor (in both USA and Cuba) is Pearl Seas Cruises.
MS Victory I wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 10
- Total number of cabins: 105 (of which 2 Suites)
- Dining Rooms: Main dining room
- Restaurants and food bars: Tavern, Outdoor Grill
- Lounges & Bars: Lounge, Observation lounge
- Sun Deck, Terrace, Boutique, Doctor office, Purser's office, elevator
- In 2015 Haimark Line invested US$3,5 million for the refurbishment of the "Cape May Light" ship and renamed it to "MS Saint Laurent". The ship was previously operating also under the names "Clipper Voyager" and "Sea Voyager". The vessel was built in 2001 for the USA line Great Lakes Cruises, which specialized in expedition voyages in Central and South America.
- The inaugural cruise of MS Saint Laurent (under the Haimark Line's charter) was on May 30th, 2015, leaving out of Montreal, Canada.
- (June 18, 2015 accident) while operated by Haimark Line, the Saint Laurent ship collided with a concrete wall bumper of the Eisenhower Lock (along the Saint Lawrence Seaway). The accident;s location is near Massena (New York). Of all 274 people, 22 were injured. The current voyage was chartered by the French cruise tour company Rivages du Monde. For the detailed accident report follow the CruiseMinus link above.
- Soon after the collision accident, Haimark Line filed for bankruptcy. In June 2016 was announced that Victory Cruise Lines intend to rename the vessel to "MS Victory I" and start operations with departures from Montreal (Quebec, Canada) to ports in Canada and Great Lakes (USA). The inaugural cruise was scheduled for July 8. Also were announced further plans for Florida to Cuba cruise itineraries.
- The ship's first scheduled Cuba cruise was a 7-day / 6-night itinerary round-trip from Port Canaveral (Orlando) Florida (departure Oct 28, 2016). The ship's winter 2016-2017 itinerary program includes 3-day to 14-day round-trip cruises to Cuba out of Miami (through April 2017).
MS Victory I related cruise news
Victory Cruise Lines announced inaugural offers for 13- to 15-night Cuba circumnavigation voyages. The all-inclusive cruise line starts Cuba cruises...October 15, 2017
Victory Cruise Lines’ 202-passenger MS Victory I (formerly operated under the name MS Saint Laurent) will start a series of 6...July 31, 2017
Victory Cruise Lines boosted its fleet with another ship. It acquired the sister ship to line's current coastal cruiser, Victory 1 (formerly...July 29, 2017
- show more news