MS Johann Strauss Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Johann Strauss
|Year built||2006 / Age : 12|
|Builder||Royal IHC Merwede Shipyards (Kinderdijk, Holland)|
|Operator||Teeming River Cruises|
|Speed||8 kn / 15 kph / 9 mph|
|Length (LOA)||110 m / 361 ft|
|Beam (width)||11 m / 36 ft|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Former names||MS Sound of Music|
Review of MS Johann Strauss
MS Johann Strauss cruise ship operates on Rhine, Main and Danube river cruise itineraries the whole year-round. Departures are offered from Holland (Amsterdam), Germany (Cologne, Nuremberg and Mainz), Hungary (Budapest). The riverboat was constructed in Kinderdijk Holland, and extensively refurbished and renamed (from "MS Sound of Music") in 2018.
All Johann Strauss staterooms are outside and contemporary decorated. As standard amenities are offered two beds (separated or converted to double on request), wardrobe, safe deposit box (in the closet), direct-dial phone, flat TV (satellite reception, ship info channel with daily scheduled events, bow camera real-time views), en-suite bathroom (WC, shower, hairdryer, built-in cabinets, bath products), 220 V power sockets, individually controlled air-conditioning.
All the ship's 72 passenger cabins are outside, in the following categories:
- Danube Suite (midship Deck 3, size 210 ft2 / 20 m2) French Balcony with opening (sliding door) windows. Available are 2 suites (rooms A and B).
- Danube Premium (midship-aft Deck 3, size 165 ft2 / 15 m2) with floor-ceiling French Balcony (opening sliding door windows). Available are 23 rooms (cabins 301-323, 325).
- Rhine Junior Suite (forward-midship Deck 2, size 195 ft2 / 18 m2) with non-opening Panoramic Window. Available are 10 rooms (cabins 205-210, 401-404).
- Rhine Deluxe (midship-aft Deck 2, size 165 ft2 / 15 m2) with opening semi-French Balconies. Available are 23 rooms (cabins 211- 212, 214-233, 235).
- Rhine Standard (forward Deck 2, size 165 ft2 / 15 m2) with non-opening Panoramic Window. Available are 4 rooms (cabins 201-204).
- Moselle Standard (midship Deck 1, size 130 ft2 / 12 m2) with non-opening window. Available are 10 rooms (cabins 101-110).
- Single cabins (rooms that can be booked with single-occupancy) are available in categories Danube Deluxe, Rhine Deluxe, and Moselle Standard.
Popular for its friendly staff and informal atmosphere, the riverboat is ideal for first-time cruisers as it offers an intimate and most relaxed cruise travel experience. The boat has a stylish and bright Salon-Bar Lounge forward on Danube Deck (with large windows, bar seating, offering specialty drinks), and single sitting Dining Room Restaurant aft on Danube Deck (with large windows, dining tables capacity 4-6 seats, serving a la carte American style breakfasts, 3-course lunches and 4-course dinners with wine). Food is prepared by the ship's chef and with locally sourced products supplied from markets and suppliers in the visited ports of call along the cruisetour itinerary. A special event is Captain’s Gala Dinner (once per voyage). The ship also has 24-hour tea-coffee station (complimentary beverages). In the Salon-bar are served daily morning coffee and afternoon tea.
Sun Deck has midship-forward located covered seating area (with 4-seat tables) and midship-aft located sunbathing area (with deckchairs). Additional amenities include concierge services, laundry and business center. Daily entertainment program offers live music (including local folklore performances), dancing, themed lectures.
The lobby area (Deck 3 midship, at Lounge's entrance) houses boat's Reception Desk (24-hour guest services, information, assistance, purser) and Library (separate reading lounge with books and popular board games).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.