Stena Baltica ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Stena Baltica ferry
|Year built||2007 / Age : 11|
|Builder||Aker Finnyards Helsinki Shipyard (Finland)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Karlskrona-Gdynia|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||167 m / 548 ft|
|Beam (width)||27 m / 89 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||33500 gt|
|Decks with cabins||2|
|Sister-ships||GNV Atlas, GNV Cristal, Princess Seaways, King Seaways|
Review of Stena Baltica ferry
MS Stena Baltica ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Sweden-based company STENA LINE. The ship has max capacity of 176 passengers and 100 cars. The vessel was launched in 2007 and currently operates on the Sweden-Poland ferry route Karlskrona-Gdynia (crossing time 10 hours).
As cruiseferry, Stena Baltica has 120 cabins with a total of 216 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with shared bathrooms. All passenger cabins (inside and outside) are located on decks 8 and 9, and have max capacity of 2 passengers. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels and toiletries. The ship is not suitable for passengers with reduced mobility as it has no any wheelchair-accessible staterooms (adapted for disabled passengers).
Stena Baltica stateroom categories include:
- Economy Class 2-berth / Twin Inside (2 bunk beds / lower + upper, no window)
- Economy Class 2-berth / Twin Outside (2 bunk beds / lower + upper, Picture window)
- Comfort Class 2-berth / Twin Inside (1 lower bed, 1 bunk bed, no window)
- Comfort Class 2-berth / Twin Outside (2 bunk beds / lower + upper, Picture window).
- All cabins are equipped with the luxury DUX beds and mattresses, Hansgrohe bathroom faucets and shower heads, phones, flat TVs (satellite reception), desk (mirrored vanity table with chair), open wardrobe.
For reserved seating, passengers can upgrade to Stena Plus Lounge. Reserved seat deals are inclusive of airliine type seats (fully reclining leather armchairs), complimentary hot and cold beverages (coffee, specialty teas, soft drinks, wine by the glass), snacks, newspapers, magazines.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Stena Baltica ship offers:
- (deck 7) Buffet Restaurant (self-service buffet, hot and cold meals, kids menus)
- (deck 7) Bar Lounge (patisserie / specialty coffee bar selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yoghurt, ice cream, hot / cold drinks)
- (deck 7) Stena Shopping Center (gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, brand perfumes and cosmetics, skincare products, leather goods, toys, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, gadgets and electronics, designer watches, sunglasses and jewelry, convenience goods and travel essentials). Onboard retail shopping promotions are often held and provide up to 50% discounted pricing on big brand merchandize.
- Truckers Lounge (truck drivers only bar lounge and restaurant)
- free Wi-Fi service, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception).
- Forward on its top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- The ship also has a fitness (gym room), but it is crew-only facility (not available for passenger use).
- All bars and lounges are fitted with large flat TVs and comfortable seating.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators / passenger lifts is forbidden.
STENA ferry deals
Follows a list of discounts and special offers provided by Stena Line (direct bookings only).
- On the routes Holland-UK (Hook of Holland-Harwich, day voyages only), Denmark-Norway (Frederikshavn-Oslo, Monday to Friday only), Denmark-Sweden (Grenaa-Varberg) and Germany-Sweden (Rugen Island / Sassnitz-Trelleborg and Rostock-Trelleborg), passengers can ferry caravans free of charge. This discount applies to the car plus caravan fares and can't be combined with other offers.
- Motorhomes can be ferried between UK and Holland priced as cars (day voyages only).
- STENA's train and ferry deals offer discounted pricing on train travel to London (fares subject to availability). STENA issues e-tickets (not separate train tickets) and the passenger's self-printed e-ticket serves as train ticket. Dutch Railways tickets (to and from the port) can't be included in the ferry booking. These e-tickets are not valid on private UK rail carriers. Intercity Direct and ICE trains are with extra charge.
- Special meals (vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal food, gluten- or lactose-free foods) can be pre-ordered on the UK-Holland route Harwich-Hook of Holland. All the ingredients used for these special meals are verified by their manufacturers. Vegetarian meals contain dairy products, eggs, vegetables. Muslim meals don't contain pork (or by-products) as well as food containing alcohol. Special food orders must be made 48 hours prior departure (via email upon booking or by calling +31 (0)174 - 315 811).
- In 2013, the ships Britannica and Hollandica were equipped each with 2 electric car charging points (3,7 kW 16A, Euro standard Type 2). However, these charging points can't be pre-booked. Charging an electric car on the ship is free of charge and takes 4-6 hours. Only on the ships Britannica and Hollandica are available change machines (ATM by GWK Travelex) located in the lobby area (Deck 9, opposite the Reception Desk).
- Only on the ships serving the Denmark-Norway route (Frederikshavn-Oslo) there are power connections (at fee) for caravan fridges and freezers.
- Hand luggage restrictions per person (carried in the ship's public areas) are max dimensions 60x50x40 cm and up to 12 kg. Foot passengers are allowed to bring only 2 pieces of extra luggage (up to 20 kg), checked-in on day voyages (unless there is a booked cabin). Car passengers must leave their luggage in the vehicle. Remember that car decks are closed during the voyage. Any extra baggage will be surcharged.
- All STENA ships allow boarding with LPG-fueled vehicles ("liquefied petroleum gas").
- The company doesn't allow 36 weeks pregnant women to travel, as well as 34 weeks pregnant when expecting more then one baby.
- Passengers with restricted mobility will be assisted prior departure and also onboard. Such passengers must contact the company's staff at least 48 hours priod departure (via email or by calling +31 (0)174-315811). Wheelchair passengers must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior departure and go to the company's check-in desk.
- Bicycles can be ferried (at fee) on all STENA ships and on all routes.
- Tickets with blank return date are not offered. However, it is possible to book "open ticket" with a temporary date, that can be changed later to the actual return date.
- STENA LINE's deals are categorized as "Economy", "Flexi" and "Premium". ECONOMY fares are always the cheapest, but with an amendment fee and without refund for changes and cancellations. FLEXI fares allow changes to be made to your booking at no cost. Passengers only pay the difference in fare, with the option of full refund for canceling. PREMIUM fares (depending on routes) offer different bonus perks, such as express boarding and disembarkation, Stena Plus Lounge seats, included Breakfast. PREMIUM deals are not available on the routes Sassnitz / Rostock-Trelleborg, Grenaa-Varberg, Nynashamn-Ventspils (Latvia), and Travemunde-Liepaja (Latvia). PREMIUM fares on the route Hook of Holland-Harwich are inclusive of Stena Plus Lounge seat and Breakfast (on night voyages only).
Pets on the ship
Pets (dogs, cats and ferrets) can be ferried on all STENA ships, but some requirements depend on itinerary (destination).
- Pets are not allowed in passenger cabins, unless the stateroom is "pet friendly" (usually 2-bed dog cabin).
- All ships have a dog toilet.
- At all times during the voyage, dogs must be leashed and muzzled, and never left alone.
- Guide dogs travel for free and are allowed on all passenger decks and in the owners' cabin (but must wear harness or jacket).
- On STENA ferries serving Scandinavian routes (to Sweden, Norway, Latvia) must have valid EU pet passport with standard information about the animal's identity, vaccinations (other treatments). Pets also must have approved microchip (or tattoo) and rabies vaccination by an authorized veterinarian. Pets travelling to Norway must be treated for tapeworm. Passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 1 hour prior departure.
- On STENA ferries to England and Ireland, passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior departure. For all other routes this time is 1 - 1,5 hours. All animals are subject to the UK Pet Travel scheme rules and must be at least 15 weeks old. EU pet passport and microchips are required. Car passengers can ferry up to 5 animals (per vehicle). These cars receive a colored hanger (placed on the windscreen rear-view mirror until customs are cleared in each port). Pets in vehicles must remain inside at all times. Foot passengers are allowed up to 5 pets, but pre-booking onboard kennel is required. Children travelling with an animal must be 16 years old. When traveling with 6 or more animals, they must be at least 6 months old.
- All STENA ships have onboard kennels, of which 7 big (100x97x94 cm), 2x medium-sized (100x64x108 cm) and 16 small (100x65x50 cm). All cabins provide TV monitoring of the kennels. Visits of the pet during the voyage are recommended.
Car decks can be loaded on 2 levels with vehicle access from both bow and stern. Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number / stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger loungesis forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Stena Line (founded in 1962, headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden) is one of the world's largest ferry companies, providing freight and travel services on the Northern Europe's routes that connect UK, Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Poland. Stena Line current fleet includes the ships Mecklenburg Vorpommern, Scottish Viking, Stena Adventurer, Stena Baltica, Stena Britannica, Stena Europe, Stena Flavia, Stena Germanica, Stena Hollandica, Stena Horizon, Stena Jutlandica, Stena Lagan, Stena Mersey, Stena Nautica, Stena Saga, Stena Scandinavica, Stena Skane, Stena Spirit, Stena Superfast VII, Stena Superfast VIII, Stena Superfast X, Stena Vision.
Stena Baltica ferry wiki
The vessel was ordered on August 2, 2005 (for BRITTANY FERRIES), launched on April 13, 2007 (as "MS Cotentin") and christened on November 26, 2007. In the period 2007-2013 (when was chartered by STENA LINE) the ship was named Cotentin - after the same-named Peninsula of France, on which the largest port is Cherbourg.
Ferry's inaugural crossing was on November 26, 2007, on the France-England UK route Cherbourg–Poole (operated until 2013). Sisterships (of the same Peter Pan-class) are GNV Atlas, GNV Cristal, Princess Seaways, King Seaways.
The ship is powered by two KRUPP MAK marine diesel engines (total power output 24 MW) and as propulsion has two shafts with controllable pitch propellers.