Stockholm is a major Baltic Sea cruise port and Sweden's capital city. The city covers a total area of approx 188 km2 (73 ml2) and has population around 935,000 (metro around 2,3 million).
- Stockholm is located on the meeting point of Salt Bay and Lake Malaren (country's 3rd-largest freshwater lake - after Vanern and Vattern). The city (established in 1252) is spread across 14 islands and on mainland Sweden, at the mouth of Lake Malaren.
- Stockholm is Sweden's political, economic and cultural centre. The region alone accounts for over 1/3 of the country's GDP, and is one of Europe's top 10 regions by GDP per capita. In Stockholm are some of the top ranked European universities, such as Stockholm School of Economics, Karolinska Institute, Royal Institute of Technology. The city is also famous for hosting the annual Nobel Prize award ceremonies.
- One of the city's most prized museums - Vasa Museum (on Djurgarden Island) is Scandinavia's most visited museum. Stockholm metro (inaugurated in 1950) is famous for its stations decorations and has been named "world's longest art gallery". The national football arena of Sweden is in the town of Solna (north of the city). The national indoor arena (Ericsson Globe) is in the city's southern part.
- Stockholm is the seat of the Swedish government, most of its agencies and the parliament. Here are also the official residencies of the country's Prime Minister and the Swedish monarch. Stockholm Palace is the official residence of the Swedish monarch. The Drottningholm Palace (UNESCO World Heritage Site) is on the city's outskirts and serves as the private residence of the Royal Family.
- The city's best known tourist attractions are in Galma Stan (Old Town).
Ports of Stockholm authority also manages Port Kapellskar, Port Vartahamnen and the new Port Norvik (scheduled for completion in May 2020). The new cargo port has capacity to handle the largest vessels (RoRo and boxships).
- Port's cruising season is in the summer (late April through early October).
- Stockholm is a major cruise port included in most Baltic Sea (Scandinavia and Russia) itineraries.
- Stockholm is serbed by regularly scheduled ferries to Turku and Helsinki in Finland (commonly called "Finlandsfarjan"), also to Tallinn (Estonia), Riga (Latvia ) and to St Petersburg (Russia). The Stockholm islands are served by the ferry ships of Waxholms Ångfartygs AB (aka Waxholmsbolaget) - a ferry a shipping company owned by Stockholm County Council. The company owns all 25 boats. It is mostly tax-funded. and its services cover the entire maritime region from Arholma island (northeast) to Oja Island (south). Ferry services are year-round and used by approx 11 million passengers annually.
- In 2016, the cruise port had 230 ship visits and handled over 490 000 passengers . The number of turnarounds / roundtrips reached 57. Many passengers spend an overnight (extra day and night) in the city, which benefits the local tourism industry even further. Statistics showed that cruise tourists spend around USD 58 million on city tours, hotels, restaurants and shopping.
- In 2017, Port Stockholm handled a total of 263 cruise ship calls and a record number of visiting cruise tourists - 600,000, or an increase of 22% over 2016. The season started on April 30. During the 2017 season, in Stockholm were homeported 73 cruise vessels (for roundtrip departures / turnaround operations). On these liners, passengers often spend an extra day / night in the city which further benefits its tourist industry. Cruise passenger spending in Stockholm is estimated at around EUR 62 million. Maiden port calls were done by Norwegian Getaway (port's largest ship so far), MSC Fantasia and Saga Sapphire.
- 2017 was also reported as record year for the port's freight shipping volumes (both RoRo ships and container ships) - total 9,6 million tons of cargo, or 7% increase over 2016 (9,01 million tons). The flow of containers between Sweden and different continents, primarily Asia, is also increasing. The number of TEUs / containers handled by Port Stockholm increased 11% over 2016 - up to 60,000 TEUs.
Highlights: Venice of the North, Royal Palace, Old Town, City Hall
Stockholm cruise terminal
Stockholm cruise port has 5 quays. They are close to Galma Stan or the Old Town.
Skeppsbron and Förtöjning Pa Strommen are the closest to Galma Stan. Stadsgarden is located south of Galma Stan and Frihamnen and Värtahamnen – are located north of the landmark, in the commercial area of the port.
- Skeppsbron quay is close to the Royal Palace and serves small cruise ships.
- Förtöjning På Strömmen serves Holland America Line and Cunard Line.
- Stadsgården serves bigger cruise ships. It has a smal terminal building and it is near Fotografika.
- Frihamnen quay is the most popular Stockholm cruise port terminal. The building is new, designed in bright colors. Stockholm cruise port terminal at Frihamnen offers cafe, WI-FI, eateries and tourist information. In front there are taxis available and bus stop. If you want to use a bus from Stockholm cruise port terminal, take #76 to visit popular city sights.
- Värtahamnen serves Azamara Club Cruises and it is five miles north from Galma Stan.
- Parking at the cruise port is not available.
In 2016, Port Stockholm improved Port Nynashamn's cruise terminal, where a new Seawalk was built and the pier was extended (length 260 m / 853 ft) to serve smalle-sized cruise ships instead only smaller shuttle and tour boats.
Stockholm tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Gamla Stan: Stockholm was founded here in 1252. Galma Stan and Riddarholmen island, located in adjacent, are a living museum with cafes, restaurants, bars, attractions, shops and amazing sights. The streets are narrow and coblestoned. The buildings are in different gold shades. If you go there in the winter you will get a “story book” feeling. You can visit attractions like the Nobel Museum, the Stockholm Cathedral and the Royal Palace with its Royal Armory.
- Royal Palace: His Majesty the king of Sweden official residence.
- Royal national city park: take a walk in the forest surrounding the city. You can meet hares, deer, moose and foxes. There are rare bird species, insects and beautiful butterflies. Don’t miss the Ekoparken.
- Stromma boat sightseeing: take voyage under the Stockholm’s bridges. It will take you from an hour to two hours and a half to take a different look of the city. You can combine boat tour with an open bus tour.
- National Museum of Sweden: on display are collections of arts, paintings, sculpures, graphics, drawings and handicrafts. You will find works of Rubens, Rembrandt, Renoir, Degas, Goya and local artist like Bruno Liljefors, Hanna Pauli, Carl Larsson and Anders Zorn.
- Stockholm city hall: the designer of the romanticism style building is Ragnar Östberg. It was inaugurated in 1923 on Midsummer Eve.
- Fotografiska: contemporary photography place, one of the world’s largest. Annually there are about 4 large and 20 small exhibitions.
Port Stockholm cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Stockholm, Sweden. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|28 April, 2018|
|AIDAdiva||08:00||17:00||Visby, Gotland Island, Sweden|
|29 April, 2018|
|RCGS Resolute||12:00||18:00||Visby, Gotland Island, Sweden|
|30 April, 2018|
|Viking Sea||Helsinki, Finland|
The Stockholm cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Stockholm, Sweden.
If you lose the Stockholm location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port of Stockholm 2017 cruise season set a new record, with passenger numbers reaching a total of 600 000 cruisers, an increase of 22% on 2016. ...October 16, 2017
- show more news