American Queen Steamboat Company
American Duchess Review and Specifications
Specifications of American Duchess
|Year built||2017 / Age : 1|
|Length (LOA)||104 m / 341 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||3560 gt|
|Passengers||166 - 166|
|Christened by||Marissa Applegate|
Review of American Duchess
American Duchess cruise ship is a paddlewheel steamboat. The vessel started operations for the shipowner American Queen Steamboat Company in 2017 (August 14), following the christening ceremony in New Orleans. The all-suite, 166-passenger riverboat became USA's first new, purpose-built paddle-wheeler on Mississippi River.
In September 2016, the company announced a fleet expansion with a new ship (American Duchess), scheduled for launch in July 2017. However, due to Mississippi's unseasonable high water leves, the launch was pushed back 6 weeks to August 13. The inaugural cruise was on August 14, with prices starting fom USD 1500 pp (double-occupancy Interior Suite rates).
For the new all-suite ship was used the hull of a former casino ship ("Isle of Capri") homeported in Bettendorf (Iowa). The casino boat was retrofitted for premium cruises on Mississippi River and its tributaries. Ship conversion included adding a new (3rd) deck and a new stern paddlewheel. The vessel has capacity 166 passengers and features the largest US river cruise industry's suites (sized up to 550 ft2 / 51 m2). The ship also features the river travel industry's ever first Loft Suites (2-level staterooms).
American Duchess cruise itinerary program offers several overnight port stays and shorter roundtrip itineraries from Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Nashville and New Orleans, and also (for the first time) from Chicago (Ottawa, Illinois).
In addition to Mississippi, the riverboat cruises on Ohio, Tennessee and Illinois rivers. Cruise fares start from around USD 3000 pp.
Staterooms (all in suite categories) as sizes range between 180 ft2 / 17 m2 (Interior Suite) and 550 ft2 / 51 m2 (Owners Suite and Loft Suite). All cabins offer as standard amenities individually controlled air-conditioning, flat TV (satellite reception), darkwood wardrobe, dressers (ample drawer space), mini-bar (fridge), personal safe, direct-dial phone, alarm clock, Keurig brewer (tea/coffee machine), binocular, luxury bath amenities (toiletries by Clarins, terry robes, hairdryer), plenty of outlets and lighting.
American Queen Steamboat Company cruise deals
Operated with all-inclusive cruise packages, American Duchess deals are inclusive of:
- all shore excursions (“Steamcoach Tours” by luxury motorcoaches)
- 1-night pre-cruise hotel package
- soft drinks and bottled water (offered throughout the voyage)
- wines and beers (offered at dinner only)
- 24-hour room service (menu has standard for breakfasts fare, plus sandwiches, burgers, macaroni & cheese, fresh salmon, desserts)
- Wi-Fi Internet
- Pilot House tour (of the ship's Navigation Bridge).
- Smoking inside the cabin and on the balcony is forbidden. The only smoking-allowed area on the ship is the sun deck.
"Commodore Services" are the company's set of exclusive services reserved for American Duchess cruise passengers booking categories LFS-Loft and OS-Owner suites. The list of bonus perks (price-inclusive / complimentary privileges) includes:
- gifts (upon arrival) - fruit basket and a bottle of wine
- suite tour (upon arrival)
- priority boarding and dining arrangements
- reserved balcony seating in "The Auditorium" (boat's theater / show lounge), with personal escort to the reserved seats
- private reception party with the ship's Captain and Senior Officers
- personal River Butler
- unpacking, hanging the clothes in the closet, packing, laundry, pressing service, shoeshine (conditioning)
- in-cabin dining - Afternoon Tea service, Breakfast and Dinner service (on the suite's balcony, upon request), pre-dinner canapes, post-dinner sweets).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
American Duchess wiki
- American Duchess riverboat's launch was delayed by 6 weeks, resulting in changes in the ship's 2017 cruise schedule. The completely renovated riverboat was launched on August 13 (2017) instead of the pre-scheduled July 1. Several of its summer 2017 Inaugural itineraries were affected.
- Marissa Applegate served as the ship's godmother. She is the daughter of the cruise company's Chairman John Waggoner. The christening ceremony was on August 14, 2017, held in New Orleans. Highlights of the naming ceremony included a bottle of Maker’s Mark bourbon (instead of the traditional Champagne) and live performances by local musicians. The special event was led by godmother Marissa Applegate (daughter of John Waggoner - the Steamboat Company's Chairman).
- The Inaugural Cruise on Mississippi River (23-days itinerary, August 13 - September 4) was from New Orleans (Louisiana) to Red Wing (Minnesota). Prices started from USD 7300 pp (double occupancy Interior Suite rates), inclusive of 1-night Boutique Hotel in New Orleans. The maiden voyage's ports of call were New Orleans LA (overnight hotel stay), Nottoway LA, Francisville LA, Natchez MS, Vicksburg MS, Greenville MS, Memphis TN, Ashport Landing TN, New Madrid MO, Paducah KY, Cape Girardeau MO, Chester IL, ST Louis MO, Clinton IA, Dubuque IA, La Crosse WI, and Red Wing MN (overnight onboard stay).
American Duchess ship related cruise news
The company operating American Queen on Monday, August 14, officially welcomed a 2nd ship to the river, American Duchess, via a christening...August 16, 2017
- show more news