Carnival Sunshine Review and Specifications
Specifications of Carnival Sunshine
|Builder||FINCANTIERI TRIESTE ITALY|
|Year of built||1996|
|Gross Tonnage||103881 gt|
|Passengers||3012 - 3765|
|Decks with cabins||11|
Review of Carnival Sunshine
Built in 1996 for US$409 million, Carnival Sunshine was initially named Carnival Destiny. After a major refurbishment in 2013 which cost US$155 million, the ship was renamed Sunshine. As passenger ship class, Carnival Sunshine was the first of three Carnival Destiny-class ships – together with Victory and Triumph. Today she belongs to the Sunshine-class. Carnival Sunshine was last refurbished in May 2016.
History - construction & ownership
The shipowner Carnival Cruise Lines is an American company headquartered in Doral, Florida. It was founded as an independent company by Ted Arison in 1972. Today, it is one of the 9 cruise ship brands owned and operated by Carnival Corp. & plc. The line has the largest fleet in the whole Carnival group of cruise companies, with 24 ships currently in operation, and accounting for 21.1% of the cruise industry's worldwide market.
The 103,881-ton, 2,642-passenger cruise ship Carnival Sunshine is not a Dream-class ship, but contains almost all of the elements found on Breeze and Magic: high-energy, low-commitment offerings, including 20-minute standup comedies, 30-minute production shows; sushi, burgers and burritos. For the first time, the Fun Ship 2.0 blueprint was laid down on Carnival Magic in 2011, followed by Carnival Breeze in June 2012.
Cruise itinerary program
Carnival Sunshine itinerary program is based on Western and Eastern Caribbean roundtrip cruises from Port Canaveral, Florida. Feature port destinations include Bahamas (with Nassau and line’s private island Half Moon Cay), Puerto Rico, Saint Thomas, Grand Turk, Roatan, Belize, Mexico (Costa Maya and Cozumel). Starting in 2016, the ship will offer new Bermuda schedule with 7-day cruises from New York and 5-day sailings from Norfolk.
Most Carnival Sunshine staterooms are 185-sq.foot insides (586), oceanview (342) and suite (55). Sunshine also has 89 Cloud 9 Spa cabins and 32 wheelchair accessible cabins. The number of ship's cabin categories is 34. Sunshine's Captain’s Suites are the largest cabins onboard (500 sq.feet) and can accommodate up to five passengers. They feature master bedroom, dressing area, large bathroom, separate living room, separate bathroom, fridge and mini-bar. Suite guests benefit from VIP check-in.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Carnival Sunshine offers many of the Fun Ship 2.0 additions in terms of dining - Guy's Burger Joint, Cucina del Capitano, BlueIguana Cantina. The line made a few adjustments to the existing venues and also added the outstanding specialty restaurant, Ji Ji. There are two Main Dining Rooms onboard the Sunshine: Sunset, at the midship, and double-deck Sunrise located aft. The complimentary Punchliner Comedy Brunch, which is a sea day exclusive, features 5-minute teasers every hour on the hour from 9a.m. to 1:30p.m.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Sunshine restaurants and food bars.
- Sunset Restaurant (forward Main Dining Room, with two fixed dinner seatings, or “Your Time Dining”)
- Sunrise Restaurant (aft Main Dining Room, with two fixed dinner seatings; offers themed breakfasts - “Seuss At Sea”, for $5 cover charge; hosts Punchliner Comedy Brunch).
- Farenheit 555 Steakhouse (alternative, reservations only restaurant, serving prime steaks and seafood at surcharge; also hosts “Chef’s Table” VIP dining, $75 PP surcharge)
- Fat Jimmy’s C-Side BBQ (offers pork sandwiches, complimentary lunch barbecue)
- Guy’s Burger Joint (fast food bar)
- BlueIguana Cantina (Mexican complimentary restaurant; offers house-made tortillas, burritos, tacos)
- Lido Marketplace buffet restaurant (complimentary self-service restaurant with various food stations; operates as bistro in the evenings).
- Cucina del Capitano (Italian reservations-only restaurant; offers a la carte dinner at surcharge and complimentary lunch)
- SeaDogs (complimentary beef hotdogs stand)
- Ji Ji Asian Kitchen (serves Chinese food, Mongolian Wok)
- Bonsai Sushi Bar (complimentary).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Carnival made a heavy investment in lights and sound for its shows on Carnival Breeze and has taken a step further on Sunshine. An ultra-HD graphics package is beamed onto a vast screen and the performers use it as a backdrop of their show. A number of themed shows take place in ship's Liquid Lounge, which doubles as the 800-seat main Theater. Because the room was initially designed as a theater with two stories, it's impossible to feature an intimate atmosphere. However, Carnival Sunshine offers a complete list of activities and entertainment for each age group and taste - from ballroom scene dancing, classical music concerts, tea time and art auctions to hairy chest and knobby knees contests, bingo and karaoke.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Sunshine lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Sunshine Atrium (9-deck high midship open area served by Lobby Bar)
- FunHub (24-hour Internet computers room)
- Liquid Lounge & Theater (800-seat, 2-level main show lounge)
- Ocean Plaza (entertainment area; features live music and trivia)
- The Library Bar; Piano 88 Bar; EA Sports Bar; ShakeSpot; Java Blue Cafe; The Taste Bar; Alchemy Bar; Havana Bar
- RedFrog Pub (English pub with live music; offers international beers selection and the private label Thirstyfrog/RedFrog beer)
- RedFrog Rum Bar (serves Caribbean rums selection and ThirstyFrog Red drought beer)
- BlueIguana Tequila Bar (offers Mexican beer, margaritas, drink specialties)
- Limelight Lounge (hosts Punchliner Comedy Club/brunch)
- Pixels Photo Gallery & Shop; Dreams Photo Studio; Cherry On Top (candy shop, offers the Fun Shops catalog, “Bon Voyage” store menu, souvenirs, watches, jewelry, logo merchandise, duty-free liquor, fashion boutiques)
- Circle C (kids' complimentary club lounge with movies, video games, parties, planned activities)
- 24-hour Warehouse Video Games Arcade; Club O2 teens' lounge for movies, karaoke, parties
- Sunshine Casino (served by Sunshine Casino Bar)
- Seaside Theatre (LED screen outdoor cinema)
- Serenity (adults only relaxation area with Serenity Pool, Serenity Bar, Spa Whirlpool, cascading waterfall, loungers and hammocks)
- Beach Pool area (with two Whirlpools); Carnival WaterWorks Aqua Park (with 5 slides; 1 Whirlpool, SplashZone for kids)
- Camp Carnival (kids' club lounge with complimentary programmeand play area)
- Cloud 9 Spa & Fitness complex (with Gym, Fitness Studio, Sauna, Steam Room, Thermal Suites, Beauty Salon, 15 Treatment Rooms; offers ZSpa teenagers program)
- SportSquare (Basketball/Volleyball Court, Jogging Track, Tennis Tables, 9-hole Mini Golf Course, Shuffleboard).
Carnival Sunshine wiki
Year built 1996 (as MS Destiny)
Fun Ship 2.0 upgrade in 2013
Passenger capacity / crew capacity 3006 (3758 max) / 1150
Dimensions (Gross tonnage weight / LOA length) 102,853 tons / 893 ft (272 m)
Flag State (registered in) Bahamas
Ship builder Fincantieri (Monfalcone, Italy)
Building cost USD 410 mill (USD 155 mill refit in 2013)
Ship owner Carnival Corporation
Operator Carnival Cruise Lines
Christened by Lin Arison
Official website link Carnival.com
Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
Carnival Sunshine related cruise news
Other Carnival Cruise Line cruise ships
Carnival Sunshine Itineraries 2016
The below listed Carnival Sunshine cruise prices on 2016 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Carnival Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
Carnival Sunshine Itineraries 2017
The below listed Carnival Sunshine cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Carnival Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|15 May||Departing from Charleston, South Carolina|
|18 May 11:00 - 19:00||Saint Thomas, USVI|
|19 May 08:00 - 18:00||St Johns, Antigua|
|20 May 08:00 - 18:00||Fort-de-France, Martinique|
|21 May 08:00 - 17:00||Basseterre, St Kitts Island|
|22 May 08:00 - 16:00||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|25 May||Arriving in Charleston, South Carolina|
Carnival Sunshine Itineraries 2018
The below listed Carnival Sunshine cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Carnival Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.