Norwegian Breakaway Review and Specifications
Specifications of Norwegian Breakaway
|Builder||MEYER WERFT PAPENBURG GERMANY|
|Year of built||2013|
|Gross Tonnage||145655 gt|
|Passengers||3957 - 4819|
|Decks with cabins||10|
Review of Norwegian Breakaway
Launched in 2013, Norwegian Breakaway is the first of two Breakaway-class NCL ships, together with NCL Getaway, which debuted a year later. NCL Breakaway is the largest passenger ship ever to be homeported in New York City. The next (biggest class) Norwegian vessels are the new Breakaway-Plus ships Norwegian Escape (2015) and Norwegian Bliss (2017). The NCL Breakaway ship cost US $840 million to build.
History - construction & ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line Corporation Ltd. (Norwegian) is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCL (Norwegian Cruise Line) Holdings Ltd. This American cruise company is headquartered in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, Florida. In 1966 Norwegian began operations under the name "Norwegian Caribbean Line". The NCL company is best known for the Freestyle Cruising concept, meaning that there are no set times and seating arrangements for meals, formal attire is not required. Norwegian is a publicly traded company with 44% publicly listed on NASDAQ, with major shareholders (as of 30 June 2014): Genting Group (28%), Apollo Global Management (20%), and TPG Capital (7.9%). NCL controls nearly 8% of the total worldwide share of cruise market.
The 145,655-ton, 4,000-passenger cruise ship Norwegian Breakaway includes the best of what the current ships from the line give customers, like the exclusive Haven (Suite- and Villa-passengers only complex), calm spa and a plethora of dining options. People who decide to board this cruise ship will enjoy all that Freestyle Cruising has to offer while being on the vessel to the picturesque island of Bermuda. Remarkable cuisine, family fun and daily entertainment, as well as a wonderful staff and crew, that's what you could get.
Cruise itinerary program
Norwegian Breakaway itinerary program is based on year-round cruises from New York City to Bermuda and Bahamas.
Most Norwegian Breakaway staterooms are 170-sq.foot Balcony rooms (998). There are a total of 2014 staterooms in 42 categories. 42 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Norwegian Breakaway are the Haven Deluxe Owner’s Suites (740 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
When it comes to dining on Norwegian Breakaway, Freestyle is the norm. It means guests can eat virtually when they want, where they want. This applies to the extra-fee dining, as well as included or free dining. Traditionalists enjoy the three "main dining rooms": The Manhattan and more-intimate Taste and Savor. Thanks to Norwegian's drive to improve all dining options in 2014, quality is generally good. Guests had complained about declining quality, and NCL invested in improving on standards and new menu options. Healthy and vegetarian options are always available. One of Norwegian's greatest strengths is the vast range of dining venues. Passengers can try a French bistro, Italian trattoria, Asian Teppanyaki, Brazilian churrascaria, steakhouse, seafood restaurant, a raw bar and a noodle bar. All specialty dining carries an 18% auto-gratuity.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Breakaway restaurants and food bars.
- Savor Restaurant (282-seat forward Dining Room, complimentary)
- Taste Restaurant (282-seat forward Dining Room, complimentary, with Your Time dining)
- Le Bistro (114-seat French specialty dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- Teppanyaki (96-seat Japanese Hibachi specialty, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- Manhattan Restaurant (632-seat aft Dining Room; NYC private club design; complimentary; Freestyle dining, Dinner only)
- O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar & Grill (285-seat sports bar, with 24-hour American cuisine - burgers, steaks, desserts; complimentary)
- Shanghai’s Noodle Bar (53-seat Asian cuisine complimentary restaurant inside O’Sheehan’s Pub area)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (specialty dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialties; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu).
- Moderno Churrascaria (124-seat Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- La Cucina (168-seat Italian specialty restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Ocean Blue (seafood specialty restaurant; reservations-only, US$39 per person cover charge. “Ocean Blue on the Waterfront” is the outdoor seating area)
- Raw Bar (10-seat seafood restaurant)
- Wasabi Sushi Bar (a la carte)
- Garden Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant with various cuisine stations)
- Open-Air Garden Cafe (the outdoor extension of Garden Cafe restaurant; complimentary)
- Uptown Bar & Grill (complimentary casual restaurant by the Aqua Park).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The Breakaway Theater hosts ship's most elaborate extravaganzas. It's where guests will find the Broadway "Rock of Ages" musical and the popular "Burn the Floor" dance revue show. The ship's 3-deck Atrium is Breakaway's activity center throughout the day with morning trivia, Nintendo U Dance 4 competition, cooking demonstrations, towel animal folding, dance classes, games. Elsewhere, other activities include seminars for detoxing, art auctions,wine tastings, bingo, international crew talent show and solo travelers' meet and greets.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Breakaway lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Breakaway Theatre (800-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand-shows per night)
- Spiegel Tent (217-seat theatrical entertainment dining venue “Cirque Dreams & Dinner Jungle Fantasy”, with grand-style aerial acrobatics; surcharge $30-40 PP)
- Atrium (3-deck midship hub area - “678 Ocean Place”, with a big-size LED screen, dance area and live entertainment)
- Atrium Cafe & Bar (112-seat specialty tea & coffee bar)
- Headliners Comedy Club & Lounge (features “The Second City” comedy show and “Howl At The Moon” piano show)
- The Library; Card Room; Internet Cafe (24-hour)
- Mixx Bar (live piano music; pre-dinner cocktails); Bar 21; Maltings Beer & Whisky Bar; Prime Meridian Bar; Shaker’s Cocktail Bar; Humidor Cigar Bar & Lounge (smoking venue)
- Carlo’s Bake Shop (cakes, pastries, bakeries; cupcake classes)
- The Collection Art Gallery
- Breakaway Casino
- Bliss Ultra Lounge & Nightclub
- Dolce Gelato (Italian ice cream); Cakestand (cakes, pastries)
- Fat Cats Lounge & Club (160-seat Jazz & Blues live performances)
- SVEDKA Ice Bar (25-seat; with sculptures, glasses and seats made of ice; room temperature is -8 degrees C/ 17 F)
- Boutiques (tax-duty free shops); Tradewinds (watches, jewelry, perfumes, handbags, alcohol, tobacco); Tides (gifts); Click (Photo Gallery & Shop)
- Waterfront Promenade (1320 ft/402 m long; open air dining and entertainment venues)
- Studio Lounge (cruising solo guests-only venue)
- Splash Academy Club area (kids' programme for 6 months to 12 yo kids)
- Mandara Spa & Pulse Fitness complex (with 22 treatment rooms, pool, aerobics studio and relaxation lounge)
- The Market Place (shopping alley)
- Aqua Park (3-deck, with two pools and 5 multi-level waterslides); Kid’s Aqua Park
- Spa & Fitness (Thermal Suite, Salt Room, Medi Spa, Beauty Salon, Barber Shop, fitness classes)
- Spice H2O (adults only; served by Breezeway Bar & Grill)
- Entourage Teen Centre (jukeboxes, table football, video arcades, teen disco)
- “The Haven” (Suite- and Villa-passengers only complex; consists of The Haven Courtyard, The Haven Restaurant, The Haven Lounge)
- Rock Climbing Wall; Jogging Track; Sports Complex (Spider Web - enclosed 24ft/7m tall kids climbing wall with spiral slide, Bungee Trampoline, 9-hole Mini Golf course, the largest at sea Ropes course, Zip Line, The Plank - 8ft/2,5m extending platform)
- Vibe Beach Club (adults only).
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Breakaway Itineraries 2016
The below listed Norwegian Breakaway cruise prices on 2016 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Norwegian Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|27 Nov||Departing from New York, USA|
|30 Nov 15:00 - 22:00||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|01 Dec 08:00 - 18:00||Saint Thomas, St Thomas, USV|
|02 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Tortola, Tortola, BVI|
|04 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Fort-de-France, France, Martinique|
|05 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|06 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Saint Lucia/Castries, Castries, St Lucia|
|07 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Basseterre, Basseterre, St Kitts|
|11 Dec||Arriving in New York, USA|
Norwegian Breakaway Itineraries 2017
The below listed Norwegian Breakaway cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Norwegian Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|02 Jan||Departing from New York, USA|
|05 Jan 15:00 - 22:00||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|06 Jan 08:00 - 18:00||Saint Thomas, St Thomas, USV|
|07 Jan 08:00 - 18:00||Tortola, Tortola, BVI|
|09 Jan 07:00 - 15:00||St Johns, St Johns, Antigua|
|10 Jan 08:00 - 16:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|11 Jan 10:00 - 19:00||Basseterre, Basseterre, St Kitts|
|15 Jan||Arriving in New York, USA|
|15 Jan||Departing from New York, USA|
|18 Jan 15:00 - 22:00||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|19 Jan 08:00 - 18:00||Saint Thomas, St Thomas, USV|
|20 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Tortola, Tortola, BVI|
|22 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Roseau, Dominica|
|23 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|24 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Saint Lucia/Castries, Castries, St Lucia|
|25 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Basseterre, Basseterre, St Kitts|
|29 Jan||Arriving in New York, USA|
|29 Jan||Departing from New York, USA|
|01 Feb 15:00 - 22:00||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|02 Feb 08:00 - 18:00||Saint Thomas, St Thomas, USV|
|03 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Tortola, Tortola, BVI|
|05 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Roseau, Dominica|
|06 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|07 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Fort-de-France, France, Martinique|
|08 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Basseterre, Basseterre, St Kitts|
|12 Feb||Arriving in New York, USA|