Akademik Ioffe icebreaker Review and Specifications
Specifications of Akademik Ioffe icebreaker
|Year built||1989 / Age : 29|
|Builder||Rauma-Repola Oy Shipyard (Savonlinna, Finland)|
|Class||Russian diesel icebreaker (cruise ship)|
|Operator||RAS (Russian Academy of Sciences)|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||117 m / 384 ft|
|Beam (width)||18 m / 59 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||6450 gt|
|Former names||One Ocean Navigator|
Review of Akademik Ioffe icebreaker
MS Akademik Ioffe ("ледокол Академик Иоффе") is an icebreaking vessel owned by Russia's Academy of Sciences. It is also operated as cruise ship under charter by One Ocean Expeditions (branded as "One Ocean Navigator"). The ship was last refurbished in 2011.
One of the Russian icebreaker cruise ships, Akademik Ioffe (One Ocean Navigator) is a Russian icebreaker designed as a polar research vessel. It was built in Finland for the Russian Academy of Science to partner each other in hydro-acoustic ocean research expeditions.
The ship features an ice-strengthened hull. Public spaces on board are ideally suited for every need. A separate lounge and bar, as well as a library are ideal places to relax while enjoying the Arctic scenery. A selection of documentaries and movies can be watched in the lounge. The dining room can host all passengers in a single seating. Other facilities include presentation room, fitness and massage rooms, sauna, plunge pool, gift shop. Detailed information (review of each facility) is available by deck plan.
The ship carries all the equipment needed for exploration cruising, including Zodiac boats, kayaks, camping gear. The open-bridge policy allows passengers to the navigation room any time of the day.
Akademik Ioffe itinerary program offers Arctic expedition cruises to Spitsbergen and Svalbard. The vessel also cruises in Antarctica leaving from Ushuaia (Argentina) and visiting Drake Passage, Antarctic Peninsula, Elephant Island, South Georgia Island, the Falkland Islands.
Akademik Ioffe icebreaker vessel details
Designed as a modern research marine vessel, the One Ocean Navigator ship (Akademik Ioffe) is comfortable and stabilized. Refits and refurbishments over the last years were done for enhancing the expedition cruising experience. There is little if any noise from machinery or engines.
Most public spaces are located on a separate deck from most cabins, so there is little issue with guest-generated noises. Ship stabilization is gained through internal stabilizers and a built-in ballast trimming system.
The vessel's sister by design (and also a fleetmate) is the icebreaker Akademik Sergey Vavilov.
- The vessel has 1 dining room, Sauna, 1 swimming pool, no elevators, 1 helipad.
- Draught: 6 m
- Deadweight: 1738
- Note: In case of poor AIS coverage, tracking the vessel's current location will be impossible. You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all icebreakers and ice-breaking research ships in the "itinerary" section of our Icebreakers hub. All states and their fleets are listed there.
Akademik Ioffe icebreaker wiki
- This icebreaking vessel is fitted with internal stabilizers. Its built-in ballast trimming system allows rapid transfer of ballast water between special trimming tanks, which additionally reduces the motion. This Russian-flagged vessel has all certifications required by Russia's and international maritime law and all required safety and emergency equipment - regularly inspected and tested. A passenger muster drill (lifeboat briefing) is conducted on embarkation day of each cruise to provide information on onboard emergency equipment and procedures. The equipment includes 2 fully-enclosed lifeboats (total capacity 132 seats) and 4 liferafts (total capacity 200 seats).
- Ship's powerplant includes 2 diesel engines. The propulsion system consists of twin propellers (contra-rotating), 1 bow-thruster and 1 stern-thruster. The ship additionally has a built-in back up propulsion units.
- The Australia-based company "Eclipse Travel" announced a "solar eclipse cruise" to Antarctica in 2021 on MS Akademik Ioffe. The eclipse will occur on December 4 (Saturday). The 20-day itinerary was scheduled to depart from Ushuaia Argentina on November 23, 2021. Before the 2021 solar eclipse, the cruise visits Falkland Islands, South Georgia Island, South Orkney Islands (on the eclipse day), continuing south to Antarctica with planned shore excursions led by marine biologists, ornithologists, naturalists resident photography professional. Cruise prices started from USD 16,800 pp (triple occupancy cabin rate), plus USD 1000 in onboard credit with Eclipse Travel bookings. Twin cabin prices started from USD 19,200 pp, suites - from USD 25,100 pp. Sea kayaking tours cost USD 800 pp.
Akademik Ioffe icebreaker - user reviews and comments
Akademik Ioffe icebreaker ship related cruise news
A passenger ship which ran aground Friday morning, August 24, in the Far North was refloated. Andrea Beaubien, spokeswoman for One Ocean Expeditions...August 25, 2018
- Cruise Industry
With the launch of line's 2019-2020 season, One Ocean Expeditions continues to bring innovation to its Antarctic expedition cruises. One...August 17, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Eclipse Travel (AU-based tour operator) announced an unique solar eclipse themed cruises scheduled for 2021. The Antarctica voyage will be on the...May 18, 2018
- show more news