SS Legacy Review and Specifications
Specifications of SS Legacy
|Year built||1983 / Age : 35|
|Builder||Bender Shipbuilding & Repair (Mobile, Alabama USA)|
|Owner||InnerSea Discoveries Alaska Inc|
|Speed||11 kn / 20 kph / 13 mph|
|Length (LOA)||58 m / 190 ft|
|Beam (width)||12 m / 39 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||1472 gt|
|Passengers||88 - 92|
|Decks with cabins||4|
|Former names||Spirit of '98|
Review of SS Legacy
The paddlewheel steamship SS Legacy cruises on Columbia and Snake rivers, departing roundtrip from Portland Oregon. The riverboat was formerly named "The Spirit of 98" and operated by Cruise West. The ship's itinerary program is perfectly synchronized with the region's history and all ports along the navigated waterways. In 2013 the SS Legacy cruise ship was fully refurbished and its passenger capacity was reduced.
Un-Cruise Adventures (formerly American Safari Cruises) is an USA-based, wholly-owned cruise company, a subsidiary of InnerSea Discoveries Alaska. In 2013, the American Safari Cruises line was renamed to "Un-Cruise Adventures".. Currently the cruise company has 2 headquarters - main headquarters in Seattle WA and second in Juneau AK.
In 2013, the UnCruise company transformed this small vessel into an expedition ship (initially renamed to "Safari Legacy") which looks more like a turn-of-the-century coastal steamer. During the makeover, some of the original details (like the layout of the Klondike dining room and the Western decor of Pesky Barnacle Saloon) were preserved. Crewmembers repeatedly dress in historic clothing like Gold Rush-era costumes and encourage passengers to do so, too.
The Legacy cruise ship was reinvented as traditional US river steamship with wooden cabinetry and a Grand Salon with a dance floor and full bar. There are several unique social areas onboard and three public decks, all accessible via an elevator. The ship features an intimate library and wine bar. The Pesky Barnacle Saloon has a wrap-around viewing balcony and attracts guests with tasty cocktails and period accents in the design. The Klondike Dining Room is spacious, with large view windows and cosmopolitan atmosphere of a turn-of-the-century hotel. An intimate bar on the Lounge Deck is stocked with fine wines and premium spirits. The large open bow welcomes passengers to view wildlife. A covered area with chairs and tables, fitness equipment and two large hot tubs are available up on the Sun Deck.
Our SS Legacy river cruise prices are in USD, Per Person, and based on double occupancy. These are the ship's cheapest cruise fares. Know that Un-Cruise Adventures rates here are only suggestive and updated monthly. So they could be different at the time of your riverboat cruise booking.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
SS Legacy wiki
- Cabin grades number: 6
- Total number of cabins: 44 (of which all are Oceanview).
- Restaurants and food bars: Klondike Dining Room.
- Lounges & Bars: Lounge, Pesky Barnacle Saloon, Wine Bar, Bar.
- Spa area (with 2 jacuzzis, sauna, massage, fitness equipment, yoga classes), viewing areas, library, elevator.
- Un-Cruise Adventures bought the 88-passenger SS Legacy (former "Spirit of 98") from the now-defunct Cruise West company and transformed it into an expedition cruise ship. With its new name the riverboat debuted in August 2013 after an extensive refit.
- SS Legacy cruises primarily on Snake and Columbia rivers in the USA's Pacific Northwest region. The boat is leaving out of Portland OR on roundtrip itineraries.
- Together with some of its fleetmates, this ship was formerly owned and operated as "Spirit of ’98" by the Cruise West line (1973-2010, now defunct). Based in Seattle WA (USA), at its peak Cruise West had a fleet of 9 small ships (capacity between 78 and 138 passengers). They operated on cruise itineraries in Alaska, British Columbia and also in the Pacific Ocean (Sea of Cortes, Panama, South Pacific islands, East Asia and Russia). The line ceased operations in September 2010.
- From the former Cruise West fleet are also the ships Spirit of Columbia (Baranof Dream), Spirit of Alaska (Admiralty Dream), Spirit of Glacier Bay (Chichagof Dream), Spirit of Endeavour (Safari Endeavour), Spirit of Discovery (Wilderness Explorer), Spirit of Yorktown (Americana).
SS Legacy - user reviews and comments
SS Legacy ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
UnCruise Adventures will add a 7th ship to its Alaska fleet in 2018. The 88-passenger SS Legacy, newly outfitted with skiffs and...April 8, 2017
- show more news
Other UnCruise Adventures cruise ships
SS Legacy Itineraries
The below listed SS Legacy cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest UnCruise Adventures fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 May 20||14 days, round-trip Ultimate Expedition||Juneau||$11532|
|2018 May 27||7 days, one-way from Sitka to Juneau||Sitka||$6398|
|2018 Jun 03||14 days, round-trip Ultimate Expedition||Juneau||$12975|
|2018 Jun 03||7 days, one-way from Juneau to Sitka||Juneau||$6398|
|2018 Jun 10||7 days, one-way from Sitka to Juneau||Sitka||$7206|
|2018 Jun 17||14 days, round-trip Ultimate Expedition||Juneau||$13725|
|2018 Jun 17||7 days, one-way from Juneau to Sitka||Juneau||$7206|
|2018 Jun 24||7 days, one-way from Sitka to Juneau||Sitka||$7206|
|2018 Jul 01||14 days, round-trip Ultimate Expedition||Juneau||$13725|
|2018 Jul 01||7 days, one-way from Juneau to Sitka||Juneau||$7206|
|2018 Jul 08||7 days, one-way from Sitka to Juneau||Sitka||$7206|
|2018 Jul 15||14 days, round-trip Ultimate Expedition||Juneau||$13725|
|2018 Jul 15||7 days, one-way from Juneau to Sitka||Juneau||$7206|
|2018 Jul 22||7 days, one-way from Sitka to Juneau||Sitka||$7206|
|2018 Jul 29||7 days, round-trip Glacier Bay Small Ship||Juneau||$7206|
|2018 Aug 05||14 days, one-way from Juneau to Seattle||Juneau||$8994|