Review of Windstar
One of the industry's small cruise lines, Windstar Cruises is a passenger shipping company operating a fleet of small-sized luxury vessels. Largest Windstar yachts carry up to 310 passengers. The company offers exotic itineraries visiting around 150 ports of call throughout the Caribbean, Central America, Asia, South Pacific (Australia) and Europe.
In May 2014, Windstar Cruises added to its fleet of sailing yachts the Star Pride power yacht, which was followed by Star Breeze and Star Legend (May 2015). The additional capacity resulted in new itineraries such as cruises to Panama Canal, Costa Rica and Iceland, and allowed Windstar to sail Tahiti year round. The line is named World’s Best Small Ship Cruise Line by 2014 Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards.
Windstar was established in 1984 as Windstar Sail Cruises, and its first ship, Wind Star was launched in 1986, followed by Wind Song in 1987 and Wind Spirit in 1988. Two additional cruise ships were ordered from "Sociéte Nouvelle de Ateliers et Chantiers du Havre" shipyard in France: Wind Saga and Wind Surf. These two were to be bigger than the original ones, holding more than twice the amount of cruise passengers and reaching a 660-feet length compared to the smaller, 440-feet vessels.
In 1987, Holland America Line (HAL) purchased 50% of Windstar Sail Cruises and the rest of the company a year later. In 1989 Holland America became a subsidiary of Carnival Corp. & plc. The option to continue building Wind Saga and Wind Surf was passed up by HAL. The French Government assisted in building these two larger ships for Club Med as Club Med I and Club Med II. HAL (Carnival) retained rights of first refusal for purchase. In 1998, Windstar acquired only the sail cruiser Club Med I as the line was unable to purchase both vessels. The ship was rechristened to her original name Wind Surf.
Windstar was sold to Ambassadors International in March 2007, for $100 million. On April 1, 2011 Ambassadors filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. Windstar Cruises was planned to be sold to Whippoorwill Associates, Inc. (White Plains, New York). However, through a Bankruptcy court in Delaware, a 2-day bid was held and Windstar was won by Anschutz Corporation with the best bid of $39 Million. Now, the parent company is Subsidiary Xanterra Parks & Resorts.
On February 19, 2013 it was announced that Windstar had completed the purchase of Seabourn's Star Breeze, Star Pride and Star Legend. Star Pride entered service on May 5, 2014 with an inaugural voyage from Barcelona to Rome. Windstar Cruises increased its fleet in May 2015, from four to six yachts, with Star Legend and Star Breeze. Both yachts underwent a 3-week $17 million dry dock in Genoa, before a christening ceremony in May. The 212-passenger Legend and Breeze received stem-to-stern upgrades to all suites, dining venues and public areas.
For 2018-Q1, the company reported 40% on bookings, with wave pricing up 30% (over 2017).
- In 2018 were introduced nearly 150 new cruise ports, as well as new itineraries and destinations. Most boats started to offer more overnightright stays, which drived bookings from repeat customers.
- Tours and shipboard enrichment programs for the new regions, as well as onboard dining (local cuisine) were enhanced.
- 2018's B2B bookings (for back-to-back cruises) featured a new 14-day dining menu - fully integrated the "James Beard Foundation" signature menu items.
In July 2018, Windstar announced partnership with Luggage Forward (US-based luggage shipping company). The new service allows passengers to ship their luggage doorstep-to-stateroom (and back home again), thus truly travelling light. Luggage Forward provides premier door-to-door shipping services to 200 countries worldwide. Company's own team of customs specialists handles the country-specific paperwork to ensure on-time deliveries. Travellers can track the shipment in real-time. Luggage Forward service can be booked online or via phone. Rates are fixed, without additional charges or fees applied. Luggage's arrival on time and safety is guaranteed. Luggage Forward offers money-back plus USD 500 on-time guarantee.
In 2016, Windstar Cruises scheduled Star Pride yacht's drydock refurbishment at the cost of USD 4,5 million. In the period 2014-2016, the company invested over USD 21,5 million in drydock refits and refurbishments of the newest yachts Pride, Breeze and Legend.
All Windstar ships serve itineraries that mix exotic and marquee ports, top-notch cuisine and a variety of dining venues, superb service and intimate small ship cruising. All ships of the line feature the luxury-minded 1.5-to-1 guest-to-crew ratio. Windstar cabins include flatscreen televisions, Bose SoundDocks, L'Occitane amenities, fresh fruit, flowers and indulgent bedding.
Each of the ships has a sports marina. In sports in which Windstar vessels are anchored, travelers can engage in water sports like swimming, kayaking, snorkeling, windsailing, water skiing and paddle-boating.
One of the greatest changes for Windstar Cruises, across its fleet is the dining upgrade. Cuisine highlights the local fare of regions visited, including the Caribbean, Costa Rica, Tahiti, Asia and Mediterranean. The food is always the highest quality, with extra attention paid to passengers with special dietary needs. Ships' main restaurant, open-seating AmphorA, serves Continental-focused cuisine. Candles Grill provides a steakhouse-style menu. Stella Bistro, which is available only on board Wind Surf, is a French inspired, reservation-only venue. For breakfast and lunch, intimate Veranda buffet venue, combines food stations with made-to-order grilled items. It features both indoor and outdoor seating.
The most significant difference between Windstar's trio of sailing ships and the series of yachts is their stateroom size. On Windstar's Wind Spirit, Wind Surf and Wind Star, standard cabins measure just 188 sq.feet and have no verandas. Views are provided from porthole-style windows. Wind Surf offers 360-sq.foot suites which essentially are two standard cabins put together.
Star Pride and her siblings feature more spacious cabins, each measuring 277 sq.feet, with nice marble bathrooms including bathtubs. 36 of the staterooms have French balconies (large picture windows that open).
Windstar's "small ship" vacations create an intimate cruising experience, but the company's a la carte pricing strategy (unlike most luxury cruise lines) means passengers have to pay extra for airfare, shore excursions, beverages, fitness classes. The designated dress code is "Casual elegance", and that idea overtakes the onboard vibe. Cruisers leave formalwear at home in favor of day and night country club casual sportswear. Few are the organized activities and none of the typical Vegas-style revues.
Windstar Cruises passengers tend to be well-educated, well-traveled and active adults of all ages, hailing from the U.K., North America, Australia and New Zealand. They enjoy the laid-back atmosphere of a smaller cruise ship, the unique itineraries provided by Windstar, and the chance to travel under sail.
For season 2018, James Beard Foundation (NYC-based US national non-profit culinary arts organization) launched "Culinary Collection" series on all eight Windstar cruise itineraries. Fleetwide, Windstar launched the James Beard culinary program with exclusive recipes and menus created by guest chefs (including Hugh Acheson, Renee Erickson, Andy Ricker, Mario Pagan, Keith Rhodes). As special guests, they were booked on 2018 themed voyages, also presenting (on rotating basis) their original food recipes on the ships' menus throughout 2018. Along with guest chefs, Windstar's 2018 line-up also featured renowned sommeliers and mixologists on board.
- The first "James Beard cruise" was themed "Icons of Southeast Asia" (January 20, 2018 / 14-day Hong Kong to Bangkok on Star Legend). Chef Andy Ricker presented Thai cuisine specialties. Each night, he served a signature dish in the ship's AmphorA dining room restaurant. He also hosted private cooking demonstration.
- The James Beard cruise ship menus are ticket price inclusive (at no additional charge). Each dinner menu onboard has signature recipes and beverages (including starter, entree, dessert) prepared by James Beard Foundation-recognized ship chef.
- James Beard Chef dishes are notated on the menu and are free of charge (no additional fee is charged for their ordering).
- On February 21, 2018, was officially announced that the cruise company's exclusive partnership with James Beard Foundation expands through 2021.
Onboard cruise booking
In 2018, Windstar Cruises upgraded the company's shipboard cruise booking program. The new program now provides assistance by a dedicated Onboard Cruise Consultant. It was designed to help cruise passengers planning their future cruises on Windstar ships.
- The program was inaugurated onboard Star Legend during the 14-day repositioning cruise from from Laem Chabang (Thailand) to Hong Kong (China). In 2018, Onboard Cruise Consultants also received the fleetmates Star Breeze, Star Pride and Wind Surf.
- Onboard booking gives Windstar passengers various discounts, extra value and bonus perks, including reduced deposits, savings, Yacht Club Membership (loyalty program) benefits, special offers and promotions.
- When the initial booking is made by a travel agent, he / she remains “Agent of Record” for the new onboard booking, which means the agent receives full credit (full commission) for the onboard booking. Windstar then emails to the travel agency to confirm the booking with invoice and itinerary information.
Itinerary of Windstar
Windstar Cruises did a lot of changes to its fleet deployment. The company announced 8 new itineraries in Northern Europe plus 12 new Mediterranean itineraries, to the total of 40 voyages in 2018. A total of 26 new European ports were included, increasing the fleet's global number of maiden ports for 2018 to 93.
The sailings, which run from April through October, include “small ship-only” experiences, such as cruising the narrow Trollfjord in Lofoten Islands, docking downtown London (close to Tower of London / Tower Bridge) or tucking into San Remo (Italy’s Monte Carlo). Windstar's all-suite yachts are perfectly suited to sailing into small harbors and fjords, and larger distances at higher speed.
In 2018 there were also new cruises in Alaska, Canada New England.
In 2018, Windstar Cruises offered bokking of a 51-day "Grand Mediterranean" back-to-back cruise (itinerary July 7 to August 27, 2019) from Lisbon to Barcelona. This Wind Surf yacht cruise itinerary combined 6 smaller itineraries (7- to 10-days each) and visited a total of 40 Mediterranean ports (in Portugal, Spain, Gibraltar, Malta, Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, Greece, Turkey, Monaco and France). The cruise was listed as one of the company's "Star Collectors Voyages" combining shorter itineraries. These deals are inclusive of complimentary laundry package (per stateroom) throughout the voyage.
Windstar Alaska cruises 2018
- 11- and 12-day one-ways from Vancouver to Seward Alaska
- 14-day from Seward AK to Vancouver BC
- 12-day round-trip cruises from Vancouver
- Each Alaskan cruise on Star Legend includes scenic cruising in Tracy Arm Fjord and Misty Fjords, the latter of which are rarely visited by cruise ships. As these itineraries are longer than the region's typical 1-week long ones, the ship offers more time lingering nearer the Alaskan and Canadian coastlines. Most itineraries also include Inside Passage.
- Star Legend carries a fleet of sea kayaks and Zodiacs, used for sightseeing excursions and landings from the ship directly.
Windstar also plans to offer Alaskan cruisetour deals with pre- and post voyage land extensions.
The company's "Signature Expedition" Alaskan program was also introduced in 2018. The program offers themed activities led by onboard experts (including naturalists, geologists, historians) who during the entire voyge provide passengers with information on Alaska's wildlife, glaciers, flora and fauna. The list of available for booking "Signature Expedition" cruisetours includes seakayaking (from USD 170 pp), zodiac boat tours (from USD 40 pp) and guided hiking tours (from USD 150 pp).
Windstar Asia & Europe cruises 2018-2019
The cruise line's itinerary program expansion brings a ship to Asia - Star Legend - deployed there for the winter season. The luxury yacht sails from Thailand, Malaysia Singapore, China, all the way up to South Korea and Japan. The new itineraries are the result of passenger feedback. Asia was among the most requested destinations in surveys of Windstar's loyalty program members.
Star Legend makes use of its small size to get into smaller waterways and ports and employ its water sports platform for swimming, snorkeling, standup paddleboarding and other activities. Destination-focused options include food market tours (with the ship's chefs), local onboard entertainment and lecturers, signature private beach days in exotic places.
Itineraries are mostly 14 days in length, with embarkation and debarkation in big port cities - like Singapore, Hong Kong, Yokohama (Tokyo). Travelers can also book B2Bs / back-to-back cruises without repeating ports. Sea days are limited but spaced out to give passengers a break from land tours and port visits. Windstar also offers pre- and post-cruise packages to places like Cambodia's Angkor Wat and Burma's Bagan and Yangon.
The second Asian season of Windstar Cruises for its 212-passenger Star Legend kicks off in the fall of 2018 after ship's inaugural Alaska season during summer 2018. The return to Asia for the cruise line in 2018-2019 brings 4 new voyages, as well as the recurrence of 4 of the company’s most popular trips from its 2017-2018 season sailing in the region for 27 sailings for passengers to choose from. Windstar increased departures for popular Japan voyages timed with its popular cherry blossom season and fall foliage.
New Asia itineraries include an exploration of greater China; Asian “pop culture” trip from Tokyo to Beijing and South Korea; Thailand & Malaysia cruise big on cities and beaches; and a new itinerary to discover Indonesia, including magical Bali. Windstar Cruises also offers different pre- and post-cruise packages in Asia, such as a foray to Angkor Wat out of Bangkok and a visit to the Great Wall in Beijing. In addition, the cruise line offers over 200 shore excursions in Asia in 2018-2019, including experiences like exploring Komodo National Park on foot, visiting a traditional Malay home, and participating in a night tour of Shanghai plus dinner on The Bund (the most famous street in Asia).
In July 2018, Windstar announced its cruise ships will sail 7 new itineraries in Europe in 2019. The season will see 6 new Mediterranean voyages from the company and a new northern Europe itinerary.
- Windstar's Wind Surf travels 3 of the new Mediterranean itineraries. Line's Mediterranean Island Hopping Adventures package takes passengers from Barcelona to Athens (Piraeus) on a 10-day cruise. The 8-day Antiquities of Adriatic & Greece sails from Athens to Venice.
- The 3rd new voyage combines these 2 and more for a 51-day experience. Star Collector: Grand Mediterranean sails from Barcelona, around Italy, across Adriatic, through the Greek Isles and reaches the western coast of Turkey prior to turning back.
- Star Pride sails 2 of the other new itineraries. The 10-day Corinth Canal & Western Epicenters of the Ancient World, sailing to Athens and Rome, takes passengers to the ancient ruins. The Secrets of Croatia & Greece via Corinth Canal is an 8-day journey from Venice to Athens, sailing through Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro. Both cruise packages sail the Corinth Canal.
- The last of Windstar's new Mediterranean cruises, Artists & Idols of Iberia, is aboard Star Breeze. The 10-day sailing explores Portugal, Morocco, Gibraltar, Spain, and features an overnight in Seville.
- The new northern Europe package sails along the western European coast. Tapestries, Towers & Tarte Normande: Europe’s Atlantic Edge, an 8-day cruise aboard line's Star Breeze, takes vacationers from Lisbon to Amsterdam or from Portsmouth to Lisbon.
Windstar related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Windstar Cruises announced that now it offers passengers a new service via partnership with Luggage Forward (US-based luggage shipping company...July 21, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Windstar announced its cruise ships will sail 7 new itineraries in Europe in 2019. The next year's season will see 6 new Mediterranean voyages from...July 12, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Windstar Cruises' 212-passenger Star Pride will sail from New York later this year, which is a first for the cruise line. Star Pride will...July 9, 2018
- Cruise Industry
History was made on Wednesday, June 27, at Seattle's Ballard Locks as the Star Legend cruise ship passed through the locks. At 440 ft long and 63 ft...June 29, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Windstar Cruises added more late-night port calls and overnights to its itineraries. Currently, more than 45% of Windstar’s voyages offer a...June 9, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Windstar Cruises is currently sailing through Alaska for the first time in twenty years. The 212-guest, all-suite Star Legend started with a kickoff...May 24, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Windstar Cruises doubled the number of Concierge Collection shore trips in 2018. Passengers now benefit from a total of 90 shore excursions to choose...May 18, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Small ship cruise line Windstar hired a team of sommeliers to serve passengers on sailings to 270 ports around the globe. The new wine experts...May 8, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The second Asian season of Windstar Cruises for its 212-passenger Star Legend kicks off in the fall of this year after ship's inaugural Alaska season...March 15, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Windstar Cruises extended its partnership with culinary organization James Beard Foundation with additional 3 years. The partnership places...February 24, 2018
- show more news