World Explorer Review and Specifications
Specifications of World Explorer
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||WestSEA shipyard (Viana do Castelo, Portugal)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition ship|
|Building cost||EUR 70 million (USD 80 million)|
|Owner||Mystic Invest via Mystic Cruises (Portugal)|
|Operator||Quark Expeditions, Nicko Cruises|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||126 m / 413 ft|
|Beam (width)||19 m / 62 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||9300 gt|
|Passengers||86 - 176|
|Decks with cabins||2|
|Sister-ships||World Voyager, World Navigator|
Review of World Explorer
MS World Explorer cruise ship is a newbuild specifically designed for operations in the polar regions (Arctic and Antarctica). The vessel is owned by Mystic Invest (via the subsidiary Mystic Cruises) and operated under charter by Nicko Cruises (subsidiary) and Quark Expeditions (Travelopia-owned polar cruise company founded in 1991). The shipbuilder is WestSEA (naval shipyard in Viana do Castelo, Portugal).
The ship World Explorer (2019) is the first in the planned 10-ship fleet of Mystic Cruises, with sisterships World Voyager (2020) and World Navigator (2021).
Ship history and ownership
The vessel is owned by the Portugal-based company Mystic Cruises and seasonally chartered by Quark Expeditions (for polar cruises) and also by the European river cruise operator Nicko Cruises (for the rest of the season). The polar travel company Quark Expeditions (established in 1991) specializes in polar expedition cruises to Antarctica using vessels with ice-strengthened hulls. Quark Expeditions became part of the UK-based TUI Travel on May 1, 2007.
Mystic Cruises is a new brand owned by the Portuguese entrepreneur Mario Ferreira - president of Mystic Invest SGPS (group of companies) and best known as CEO of the Portuguese river cruise company Douro Azul, operating on Douro River roundtrips from Porto. Mario Ferreira is also famous for being Portugal's first space tourist (traveling on Virgin Galactic's Spaceship One / owned by Richard Branson).
The shipowner Mystic Invest is a Portuguese family-owned financial holding that fully owns several brands specializing in travel and tourism business (cruises, tours, hotels) and real estate. The list of brands (subsidiaries) owned by the parent company Mystic Invest includes DouroAzul (Portugal), Mystic Cruises (Portugal), Nicko Cruises (Germany), Priority Dolphin (shipbuilding), Mystic Tua (Portugal), Mystic Adventure (tour agency in Barca d'Alva), World of Discoveries (theme park in Porto Portugal), Helitours (Porto and Douro Valley), BlueBus (Porto), hotels and resorts (Hotel do Cais, Monumental Palace Hotel, Douro Marina Hotel, Wine Lodge Hotel), Caminho das Estrelas (suborbital and Zero-G flights), Mystic Real Estate.
The cruise ship World Explorer is an all-suite, all-balcony cruise vessel with scheduled all 10 cruises during its first Antarctic season 2018-2019. The vessel's draft is only 15 ft (4,7 m) allowing access to remote islands and unique coastal destinations. The ship is powered by two Rolls Royce diesel-electric marine engines (total power output 9000 kW). The hul is ice class 1B. The ship has all 2 lifeboats, which are fully enclosed. Ship-to-shore communications are via Inmarsat Capsat Fleet 77 (satellite phone and Internet).
Every cabin features either a private walk-out or Juliet balcony. MS World Explorer also boasts plenty of public areas for guestd to unwind after a busy day outdoors, such as the glass-domed Observation Lounge for full skyline views and quiet contemplation, the Explorer Lounge for a chat and a drink, and the library for intimate relaxing and reading. Discussions and presentations are facilitated in the lecture theatre.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Wellness and health facilities feature an outdoor running track, small gym, sauna and spa with change rooms, showers and lockers. Add-ons include camping, kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding.
When chartered by Nicko Cruises, the ship operates on cruises in Europe (Mediterranean Sea, Atlantic Coastal, Baltic Sea, Norwegian Fjords), also to Iceland and Greenland.
- The inaugural Nicko cruise was a 7-day itinerary (May 2-9, 2019) from Oporto Portugal to Palma (Majorca Island, Spain). prior to May 2019, the ship offered 2 repositioning voyages between Europe and South America, but they were available for booking also by other operators and travel agencies.
- In the Western Mediterranean (southern Europe), for Nicko the ship had scheduled all 4 itineraries, then was relocated to Northern Europe for 2 Norwegian Fjords cruises (13-day itineraries).
- In July 2019 followed two 12-day "Baltic Capitals" roundtrips from Kiel Germany, followed by one 8-day Iceland cruise from Kiel and two 14-day Kiel roundtrips to Iceland and Greenland. For September were scheduled two roundtrips from Hamburg Germany (7-day, and 5-day), followed by a 13-day relocation itinerary Hamburg-Oporto and the Europe-South Amerca Transatlantic repositioning crossing (October 4) from Lisbon Portugal to Rio de Janeiro Brazil.
When chartered by Quark Expeditions, the ship operates on polar cruises (itineraries to ports and destinations in the Arctic and Antarctica).
Quark cruise deals
Quark Expeditions cruise deals are inclusive of:
- 1-night pre-cruise hotel stay, group transfers (airport-hotel on the day prior departure, and hotel-ship on embarkation day)
- onboard accommodation (daily housekeeping service)
- all onboard meals (breakfasts, lunches, dinners) - know that the ship's galley / kitchen can't prepare kosher meals
- all Zodiac landings (daily, weather permitting) and Zodiac transfers and cruising (daily)
- media presentations by Expedition Team members and special guest lecturers
- waterproof expedition boots (on shore landings)
- complimentary Quark Expeditions logoed parka
- lifejackets and immersion suits
- complimentary coffee, tea and cocoa (24 / 7)
- hairdryer and bathrobe (in all cabins)
- pre-departure materials (including maps)
- all service taxes and port fees
- all onboard luggage handling
- emergency evacuation (medevac) insurance to a max benefit USD 100,000 pp
- Fly-cruise deals are inclusive of complimentary house wines (by the glass), beers and spirits on the ship, also of all gratuities (staff and crew) and all domestic flights (prior to embarkation).
- Shipboard laundry and Ironing services are available at additional cost.
- Ship-to-shore communications are via Inmarsat Capsat Fleet 77 (satellite phone and Internet) and cost extra.
World Explorer wiki
Ship's design is based on a Rolls-Royce expedition vessel platform and developed by Giuseppe Tringali (Italian naval architect). It features an ice-strengthened hull (ice class 1B), top-notch propulsion system (Rolls-Royce electrical pods / azimuthing thrusters), dynamic positioning system (using GPS data to accurately maintain ship's position without anchoring), advanced water treatment system, hybrid powerplant (diesel-electric) with efficient marine engines (two Rolls-Royce engines running on ULSD / ultra-low-sulfur diesel), two fully-enclosed lifeboats.
All Mystic Invest newbuilds as investments were backed by ICBC Leasing - part of ICBC Ltd (Chinese multinational bank, ranked world's largest by assets, deposits, loans, customers and employees). The shipbuilding financing was supported by Portuguese banks (during construction) and ICBCL Leasing funding (following delivery) through sale and charter-back of the vessel, with an obligation to repurchase it on maturity. Mystic Invest intends to build a 10-ship fleet of the same design.
In August 2017 were completed design's tank tests. The testing water tank and ship model were conducted by the Wageningen-based MARIN (Maritime Research Institute Netherlands). On September 8, 2017, was vessel's steel-cutting ceremony held at WestSEA shipyard (Viana do Castelo, Portugal). The ship (hull number C010) is first in a series of polar expedition cruise vessels constructed for Mystic Cruises, with planned seasonal charter operations by Quark Expeditions.
In 2018 (February 20 through March 1), Nicko Tours scheduled a total of 10 road shows in Germany to promote company's new "ocean cruising" business. Each of the shows started with a casual get-together and buffet with finger food, followed by presentation of the vessel and its Nicko cruise itineraries. Then travel agents enjoyed full meals and gourmet desserts.
Vessel's launch (drydock float-out ceremony) was on October 28, 2018.
For summer 2019, the ship was chartered by the German river cruisetour company Nicko Cruises (subsidiary of Mystic Cruises), offering two 14-day voyages to Antarctica.
World Explorer - user reviews and comments
Photos of World ExplorerAdd Photo
World Explorer ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The delivery was confirmed of the new cruise ship, World Explorer. Expected from WestSea Viana Shipyard in Portugal later this month, the 176...November 14, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Quark Expeditions announced its 2018-2019 Antarctica program expected to introduce a new luxury expedition cruise ship, World Explorer. The...September 12, 2017
- show more news