Disney Magic Review and Specifications
Specifications of Disney Magic
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 400 million|
|Owner||The Walt Disney Company|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||294 m / 965 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||83969 gt|
|Passengers||1754 - 2456|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Christened by||Patricia Disney|
Review of Disney Magic
Launched in 1998, Disney Magic is the flagship, and also the oldest of all four Disney Cruise Line ships, sister to Disney Wonder. The ship cost US $350 million to build and was last refurbished in September 2015.
History - construction & ownership
Disney Cruise Line is a cruise operator, subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. Incorporated in 1996 as Magical Cruise Company Ltd., the company is domiciled in London, UK with operational headquarters in Celebration, Florida. Currently, Disney Cruise Line operates four ships: Disney Dream, Disney Fantasy, Disney Magic and Disney Wonder. Disney Cruise Line also owns the private island in the Bahamas, Castaway Cay, designed as an exclusive port of call for its ships. In 2012, it was estimated Disney Cruise Lines owns nearly 3% share of worldwide cruise market. Actually, Disney Cruise Line was created after in 1995 the Walt Disney Company commissioned Disney Wonder and Disney Magic from Fincantieri (Italy), ending the arrangement with Premier Cruise Line for its vacation packages' maritime segment. Disney had previously contracted Premier Cruise Line to provide cruises in the 1980s, also sailing out of Port Canaveral. The vessels were similarly marketed as family cruise vacations and featured costumed Disney Characters. The building of two new ships in Meyer Werft shipyard (Papenburg, Germany) was announced in 2007. Disney Dream set sail in January 2011; Disney Fantasy in 2012.
The 83,969-ton, 1,750-passenger cruise ship Disney Magic, just like all Disney ships, is devoted to provide some of the best sea vacation experiences, mostly to American and Canadian families with smaller kids who enjoy loving Mickey and the princesses very very much. And just like all Disney businesses, the Disney Magic ship’s primary market are families with children (mostly kids younger than 8) – the major revenue provider for the Walt Disney company. However, on Disney Magic you’ll find lots of people traveling without kids.
The ever first Disney cruise ship Magic was launched in 1998 to serve the special preferences of a new generation Disney package vacation fun fans. The Disney Magic ship design resembles the 1920’s luxurious ocean liners, but what really makes this vessel worthy of its Disney name are all the Disney characters, special facilities and unique fun activities on-board, along with the greatest kids programs at sea, the most Magic-al deck parties and excellent service.
The CLIENTELE consists almost entirely of USA and Canada Disney cruise fun fans. The new Disney approach to children by age-related activities and specially dedicated on-board venues makes all ships mostly appealing for multi-generational travellers.
Disney Magic DRESS CODE – day casual and evening resort casual, meaning for men – jackets (no ties) and pants, and for women – summer dresses (no swimwear-shorts-jeans in the main restaurants at dinner). All Disney Magic 7-day sailings include one formal and one semi-formal night.
Disney Magic TIPS (totaling US $12 PP per day, automatically charged to guests’s shipboard accounts), given to: $8 waiters (dining room server $4, assistant server $3, head server $1) and $4 to cabin attendants. Additionally, a 15% gratuity is included on all bar drinks and on-board service areas.
Cruise itinerary program
Disney Magic itinerary program is based on Eastern Caribbean and Bahamas roundtrip cruises departing from Miami, Florida. Feature port destination include the Disney Cruise Line’s private island in the Bahamas, Castaway Cay. In 2015 the ship operates on Baltic cruises leaving from Dover, UK and in the Mediterranean sailing out of Barcelona.
Most Disney Magic staterooms are 225-260-sq.foot Balcony rooms (332). There are a total of 877 staterooms in 21 categories. The largest aboard Disney Magic are the Royal Suites (845 ft2, plus 185 ft2 balcony).
The ever first Disney ship Disney Magic boasts elegant Art Deco decorations of public spaces and a most affordable “jazzy” luxury in all its staterooms, of which even the standard cabins are designed as mini-suites (separate bedroom and living areas).
All Disney Magic cabins are designed with families in mind – some of the most spacious and most elegant at sea, and of course – with “Mickeys” everywhere. Cabins are quiet and offer comfortable privacy, appealing to both families and people traveling without youngsters. Even the standard Disney Magic cabins boast a separate bedroom and a living area (common to mini-suite accommodations of other brands), 2 beds convertible to a queen, the living room including a convertible sofa (an option for 3rd single bed); many cabins also have bunk beds (for a 4th person).
Disney Magic family cruise cabins for families of 5 have a Murphy bed. Plenty of drawers, a closet with sliding doors, a desk-dressing table, a flat TV, a safe, 2 portable “Wave Phones” (with texting capabilities and coverage throughout the ship and on Castaway island).
An unique feature of all Disney cruise cabins are the split-badrooms (“bath and a half” configurations) – one with a toilet and a sink, the other with tub-shower-sink (the cheapest insides with a single bath 1 sink). Decent bathroom amenities (soap-shampoo-conditioner-lotion), a hair dryer.
All Disney Magic suites are located on Deck 8 and feature a concierge service, deluxe design elements, huge Jacuzzis, better quality mattresses and large verandas (among the additional amenities are robes, slippers and a vanity pack).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Disney Magic dining options include 3 main restaurants with a most fun rotational dining scheme (whatever the restaurant, your table number is the same, as well as companions and servers), a traditional 2-seating (at 5:45 and 8:15 pm, the earlier cater to the youngest kids). The traditional “Lumiere’s” restaurant is decorated Art Deco (French menu), the “Animator’s Palate” boast special light effects and video LED screens, and the “Carioca’s” is a Caribbean-themed dining room with the most fun waiters and decorated in beautiful bright colors (this restaurant is also available for breakfast-lunch buffets).
The Disney Magic ship food experience features ample portions (everything is on-board made), with several choices of salads and fresh vegetables, a great variety of seafood, meats, pasta, and naturally, a separate kids menu is available.
Casual dining on-board is called “Cabanas” (a buffet restaurant, located high up and aft (overlooking the stern, a great outdoor dining option). Deck 9 offers 3 fast-food stations – the “Pete’s Boiler Bites", the “Pinocchio’s Pizzeria” and the “Daisy’s De-Lites”.
Specialty dining options are offered at “Palo” (an adults-only fine restaurant (costs extra, located on Deck 10; reservations are required, it’s relatively small venue, so early booking is advisable). Italian (Med) cuisine, including superb fish and seafood dishes, the brunch here offers Champagne and cold buffet with seafood and meats, great salads and desserts, and hot made-to-order selections (eggs-meat-fish).
The room-service menu is simple (cold sandwiches, salads, hot dogs, burgers, lasagna, pizza, cookies), the service is fast, and suite guests enjoy hot breakfast and dining room meals options. Free drinks (Coca-Cola products) are also available at meals and at the 24-hour drink pavilion (Deck 9 aft).
Follows the complete list of Disney Magic restaurants and food bars.
- Lumiere’s Restaurant (471-seat forward Dining Room; with two open Dinner servings - 5:30 p.m.-6 p.m. and 8 p.m.-8:30 p.m.; on 7+ day cruises features Gala Dessert Buffet)
- Carioca’s Restaurant (471-seat aft Dining Room with South American and Brazilian specialties for dinner)
- Animator’s Palate Restaurant (471- seat aft Dining Room, animator’s studio design, features favorite Disney-character dinner shows; serves complimentary drinks; Rotational Dining with two fixed Dinner seatings – at 5:45 p.m. and 8:15 p.m.)
- Cabanas (self service complimentary restaurant with American cuisine, pasta, sushi)
- Pinocchio’s Pizzeria (outdoor complimentary restaurant, poolside)
- Pete’s Boiler Bites (fast food outdoor eatery; Lunch and Dinner)
- Daisy’s De-Lites (outdoor fast food eatery, poolside)
- Palo (116-seat Italian specialty restaurant; adults-only, reservation-only; aft location; bookings via internet or on board).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The Disney Magic ship public rooms are nothing short to amazing. The “Walt Disney” Theater have a capacity of 977 seats and offers live performances and huge Disney productions (like Broadway-style musicals and classy review shows) on a 2-deck-high rotational stage. The “Buena Vista” Theater is smaller (showing Disney movies). Most of the ship’s public spaces are on Decks 3-4-5. The most famous are: the Promenade Lounge (family-friendly, great music), Studio Sea (game shows, exhibitions, karaoke), the Atrium (a great place to meet Disney characters for an autograph, the place for the Captain’s cocktail party and for Disney pin trading), 3 shops (on Deck 4 are “Mickey’s Mates” (Disney memorabilia and postcards) and “Treasure Ketch” (logos, jewelry, watches), and the duty-free “Up Beat” is on Deck 3 (perfumes, liquor). The pool deck’s adult section has a coffee house – the Cove Cafe (specialty coffees, bar drinks).
Like all Disney ships, the Magic has no casino (there’s bingo with good jackpots). One of the features that make the Magic ship a special place to be are the deck parties, the highlight being “The Pirates in the Caribbean” Party – a great, most attended by all age groups themed Disney ship cruise fun. Naturally, most of the on-board entertainment is Disney themed (like the goldies “Twice Charmed: An Original Twist on the Cinderella Story”, “Villains Tonight!” and the “Disney Dreams”) with all the feature Disney characters). And there are Disney movies, including first-runs (shown in the ship’s two theaters “Buena Vista” and “Walt Disney”) and Disney 3D movies. In lounges and clubs there are numerous family activities during the day – dance parties, bingo, pirate quests, shuffleboard and video games tournaments, all kinds of contests, pool games, family karaoke, dance lessons, talent shows. Between dinner times, there is a short family friendly cabaret show, with its adult version after hours. Most of the adult-themed activities are at night for guests ages 18-25, like “Match Your Mate”, “Singles’ Mingle” and “College Club Social”. The Magic ship’s adult-only daytime programs are 3: the “Navigating the Seas” series (lectures and video info about the ship), the “Disney Behind the Scenes” series (about the “know-how” of Disney specials – from food to entertainment) and the “Art of Entertaining” series, all of which are at no additional charge (for wine tastings there’s a $12 charge, $15 for martini and margarita tastings).
The Disney Magic kids cruise programs are the main reason for the Disney Magic line’s high loyalty guests ratio. Designed with families in mind, there are several huge areas on-board, designated for kids with activities for every age level. All kids ages 3-10 have access to 2 interconnected club areas – the Oceaneer’s “Club” (7-10 yo) and “Lab” (8-12 yo). The kids clubs occupy an enormous space resembling a pirate ship, with PCs and TV monitors cloaked in treasure chests, and fun activities like cooking classes, games and contests, food-fests and pool parties. “Edge” is the tweens’ club (11-13 yo) with PC and PS games, arts and crafts, and a bridge simulator for navigating a ship. The teen-only area (14-17 yo) is called “Vibe” (located in a funnel midship) – a special lounge with huge couches, flat TVs and video games, other hit activities are the dance parties and the karaoke. All kids programs (age 3+) are complimentary. The “It’s A Small World” onboard nursery (babies 3 months to 3 years of age) is at additional cost of $6 per-hour ($5 for the 2nd child). An on-line service allows guests to order from over 1,000 “Babies Travel Lite” products in advance of their sailing (delivered to their cabin). All services are also available on Castaway Cay. All Disney children counselors are college educated, well experienced and attentive.
Follows the complete list of Disney Magic lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Walt Disney Magic Theatre (977-seat, 3-dechs high; offers live shows, aerial acrobatics performances, grand-style productions, 3D movies; with two evening shows – at 6:15 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.)
- Magic’s Atrium (3-deck high central ship area, featuring custommade carpet, new furnishings, art deco chandelier, grand piano and large portholes, with “Helmsman Mickey” bronze statue)
- After Hours/Beat Street (3 clubs' entertainment district, adults only after 9 p.m.; Fathom, Keys and O’Gill’s Pub)
- Fathom Lounge Disco & Nightclub
- Keys (adults-only piano bar, features handcrafted cocktails)
- O’Gill’s Pub (sports bar, with large TVs and live music)
- Mickey’s Mates; Mickey’s Mainsail (Disney brand logo shops for postcards, souvenirs, DVDs, toys, clothes, games)
- Sea Treasures (duty-free crystal, brand jewelry, watches, precious stones, Disney merchandise, underwear, sport and swimming apparel); Quacks (Disney logo swimwear, T-shirts, towels)
- Up Beat (duty free brand jewelry, perfumes, liquor and tobaccos); Treasure Ketch (duty free shop); Whitecaps (Disney logo goods)
- Promenade Lounge (104-seat family venue with full bar service, specialty coffees and drinks; with the Internet Cafe)
- Buena Vista Theatre (268-seat 4D cinema, features 3D movies, Dolby Surround 7.1 and Dolby 3D movie technology)
- Preludes Bar (quick wait-service snacks & beverages bar)
- Shutters Photo Shop (photo packages, accessories, photographic services); Vista Gallery
- D Lounge Bar & Nightclub
- Vibe Disco & Club Lounge (teens only)
- It’s A Small World Nursery (for 3 months to 3 yo infants and toddlers; reservations required)
- Magic’s Oceaneer Club (kids 3-12 yo; with four play areas with themes from Disney films); Magic’s Oceaneer Lab (play area for kids 3-12 yo)
- Senses Spa & Fitness Complex (with Treatment Salon, Roman Bath, Sauna, Relaxation Room; Fitness Centre /health and wellbeing seminars; Beauty Salon)
- Senses Spa Villas (private suites with own hot tub, private verandah, Roman bed with canopy, open air shower)
- Quiet Cove Pool (adults only pool, served by Cove Bar; with 2 Whirlpools)
- Cove Cafe (adult-only, with big TV screen; Wi-Fi spot)
- Signals Bar (adults-only bar for snacks and beverages, poolside)
- Eye Scream Treats Bar (complimentary ice cream, poolside)
- Frozone Treats (iced fruit smoothies bar, poolside)
- Goofy’s Family Pool; Mickey’s Pool; Nephews’ Splash Zone; AquaDunk Water Slide; AquaLab (kids interactive waterplay area)
- Quarter Masters (video games arcade)
- Edge Lounge (11-14 yo teens-only club area, with a giant video wall, interactive games, Internet)
- Wide World of Sports Court (basketball, volleyball, soccer)
- Radio Studio (live radio programs for Disney Magic itinerary related news and onboard events)
- Outlook Bar (retreat area with piano and full bar; hosts weddings receptions).
Disney Magic wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 9
- Total number of cabins: 877 (of which 22 Suites, 362 Balcony rooms, 256 inside)
- Dining Rooms: Animator's Palate, Lumiere's, Parrot Cay.
- Restaurants and food bars: Tupsider/buffet, Palo/Italian, specialty, Carioca's, Cabanas, Pinocchio’s Pizzeria
- Lounges & Bars: Preludes, Cove, Signals, the new Fathoms, O’Gills, Keys, Promenade, Outlook, Studio Sea , Internet cafe, It’s a Small World Nursery, Disney's Oceaneer Lab and Club, Edge, Vibe, Quarter Masters, D Lounge, Eye Scream Treats.
- Amenities: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Children Program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
- Spa, Theatre ("Walt Disney", 977 seats), "Buena Vista" (firstrun Disney movies), Disco ("Evolution"), 24x14ft Outdoor LED moviescreen, Basketball/Volleyball court, Shuffleboard/Ping-Pong, Jogging/walking track (shiparound Promenade on deck 4), Swimming Pools (3 - Goofy's, Quiet Cove, Mickey's, including the AquaDuck water-park), Jacuzzis (4), nursery, Video Arcade, kids/teen rooms ("Oceaneer Club", "Oceaneer Lab", "Edge", "Vibe").
- Walt Disney cruise ship Magic is the first one - ever. Her sister is Disney Wonder. Each one of them is 40% smaller in size compared to the 2 new Disney ships (Dream and Fantasy).
- The ship's first cruise (Maiden Voyage) was on July 30, 1998. Godmother is Patricia Disney (yep, she's from the Walt Disney family too).
- Fun fact is that the Disney Magic cruise ship held the record for paying the highest ever regular Panama Canal passing toll (exactl;ly $331,200). However, the record was beaten later by the Princess Cruises Coral Princess ship ($400,000).
- The 2013 Disney Magic deck plan changes after the major refurbishment and refit feature: cabins and lounges overhaul, adding the Disney's AquaDuck waterpark (waterslide), the AquaLab and the Marvels Avengers Academy (kids play area).
- Outside, Magic looks like an ocean liner from the early years of the 20th century. She stands elegant in her signature outfit - the most famous of them all - Mickey Mouse. The Magic's inside decoration is influenced by both Art Nouveau and Art Deco styles. On this Disney cruise ship debuted many Marvel super heroes - a really thrilling experience for the youngest of guests.
Follows the ship's concise service history (former itineraries):
- 1998-2005] 7-day Caribbean from Port Canaveral (Orlando) Florida
- [2005-2012] relocated to San Diego CA
- [2012-2013] relocated to NYC New York and sailing from there to Bahamas, Canada/New England
- [2013 June] relocated to Europe (Barcelona) for the summer season, also receiveng a 6-week extensive refurbishment. After the 2013 Transatlantic crossin started departures out of Miami FL, later was repositioned back to Orlando.
- In 2016, The Walt Disney cruise company deployed the Magic ship in Europe. For the first time ever, Disney offered UK cruise departures (from port Dover England) to ports in Baltic Sea (incl Norwegian Fjords), Iceland, UK (British Isles). Throughout 2016 summer, the ship operated in the Western Mediterranean (leaving from Barcelona). After that followed a 12-day Transatlantic repositioning to NYC for round-trip cruises to Canada (5-6-day to New England - Saint John NB and Halifax NS) and 8-9-day to Florida-Bahamas (visiting Port Canaveral, Nassau and the private island Castaway Cay).
Disney Magic related cruise news
Countries that start with the letter I headline Disney's plans for summer 2018 cruise offerings. When Disney Magic makes her annual foray...February 22, 2017
Disney Magic is returning to Liverpool in 2017. The popular ship is one of over 25 cruise vessels due at Liverpool Cruise Liner Terminal...January 10, 2017
Disney Cruise Line expands its Royal Court Royal Tea to all cruise ships in the fleet. The popular event, which boasts visits from Disney Princesses...October 30, 2016
"Frozen" musical stage show on the popular animated movie "Frozen" is coming to Disney Wonder in fall. "Frozen, A Musical Spectacular...August 6, 2016
In the fall of 2017, Disney Cruise Line will return to New York with cruises to the Bahamas and Canada, including a new week-long...May 25, 2016
In 2017, Disney Cruise Line will offer new itineraries and to new ports of call, including first-time visits to destinations in Alaska and Europe...April 15, 2016
Disney Cruise Line removed Greece and Turkey from Magic's Mediterranean 12-night itinerary in summer 2016. According to a statement by the line...December 22, 2015
Liverpool is preparing for a record number of cruise ships in 2016. City's Cruise Terminal will play host to 64 port calls – 10 more...November 3, 2015
Disney Magic will receive several enhancements during her dry dock in fall 2015, including the addition of Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and enhancement...July 16, 2015
In 2016 fall, Disney Cruise Line returns to New York for a limited time with Bahamas cruises including a visit to Florida's Walt Disney...May 19, 2015
Other Disney Cruise Line cruise ships
Disney Magic Itineraries 2017
The below listed Disney Magic cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Disney Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|09 Apr||Departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|11 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|12 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Castries, St Lucia Island|
|13 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Fort-de-France, Martinique|
|14 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||St Johns, Antigua|
|15 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Basseterre, St Kitts Island|
|16 Apr||Arriving in San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|16 Apr||Departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|18 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|19 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Castries, St Lucia Island|
|20 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Fort-de-France, Martinique|
|21 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||St Johns, Antigua|
|22 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Basseterre, St Kitts Island|
|23 Apr||Arriving in San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|23 Apr||Departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|25 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|26 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Castries, St Lucia Island|
|27 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Fort-de-France, Martinique|
|28 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||St Johns, Antigua|
|29 Apr 07:00 - 16:00||Basseterre, St Kitts Island|
|30 Apr||Arriving in San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|30 Apr||Departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|02 May 07:00 - 16:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|03 May 07:00 - 16:00||Castries, St Lucia Island|
|04 May 07:00 - 16:00||Fort-de-France, Martinique|
|05 May 07:00 - 16:00||St Johns, Antigua|
|06 May 07:00 - 16:00||Basseterre, St Kitts Island|
|07 May||Arriving in San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|07 May||Departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|08 May 08:00 - 17:00||Basseterre, St Kitts Island|
|09 May 07:00 - 16:00||St Johns, Antigua|
|10 May 07:00 - 14:00||Tortola Island, Road Town, BVI|
|12 May 09:00 - 16:00||Castaway Cay, Disney private island, Bahamas|
|13 May||Arriving in Port Canaveral, Orlando, Florida|
|18 Jun||Departing from Copenhagen, Denmark|
|19 Jun 07:00 - 21:00||Warnemunde, Rostock, Germany|
|21 Jun 08:00 - 16:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|22 Jun 10:00 - 17:00||Helsinki, Finland|
|23 Jun 08:00 - 23:00||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
|24 Jun 12:00 - 17:00||Tallinn, Estonia|
|27 Jun 10:00 - 18:00||Amsterdam, Holland|
|28 Jun||Arriving in Dover, England|
|09 Jul||Departing from Dover, England|
|10 Jul 07:00 - 22:00||Le Havre, Paris, France|
|11 Jul 07:00 - 17:00||Isle of Portland, Dorset, England|
|13 Jul 07:00 - 23:00||Dublin, Ireland|
|14 Jul 08:00 - 18:00||Liverpool, England|
|15 Jul 08:00 - 19:00||Greenock, Glasgow, Scotland|
|16 Jul||Stornoway, Isle of Lewis and Harris, Scotland|
|17 Jul 08:00 - 17:00||Kirkwall, Orkney Island, Scotland|
|18 Jul 07:00 - 18:00||Invergordon, Scotland|
|19 Jul 09:00 - 18:00||Newcastle, England|
|21 Jul||Arriving in Dover, England|
|28 Jul||Departing from Barcelona, Spain|
|29 Jul 08:00 - 18:00||Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, France|
|30 Jul 07:00 - 18:00||Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy|
|31 Jul 08:00 - 17:00||Olbia, Sardinia, Italy|
|02 Aug 07:00 - 18:00||Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
|03 Aug 07:00 - 18:00||Naples, Italy|
|04 Aug 08:00 - 16:00||Palermo, Sicily, Italy|
|06 Aug 08:00 - 16:00||Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
|07 Aug||Arriving in Barcelona, Spain|
Disney Magic Itineraries 2018
The below listed Disney Magic cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Disney Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.