Thomson Spirit Review and Specifications
Specifications of Thomson Spirit
|Builder||CH. DE L''ATLANTIQUE|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||215 m / 705 ft|
|Beam (width)||27 m / 89 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||33930 gt|
|Passengers||1254 - 1350|
|Decks with cabins||10|
|Former names||Nieuw Amsterdam, Patriot, Spirit|
Review of Thomson Spirit
Launched in 1983, Thomson Spirit is one of the Thomson Cruises ships, together with her sister Thomson Celebration. Thomson Holidays Celebration ship’s owner is HAL (Holland America Line). The vessel was built as ms Nieuw Amsterdam, and since 2003 operated under long-therm charter to the biggest tour operator in UK, Thomson Holidays line “Thomson Cruises”. The ship cost US $150 million to build and was last refurbished in 2014.
History - construction & ownership
Thomson Cruises is a Thomson-operated British cruise line, that offers low-price voyages around Europe with ships from Holland America Line and Louis Cruise Lines. Initially, the company entered cruise market in 1973. Due to the rising fuel costs, in 1976 it was terminated. Thomson Cruises restarted the cruise line in 1995 and nowadays holds 1% market share of worldwide cruise industry. Thomson Cruises has its own unique place in the British cruise market as cruise division of the largest tour operator and travel agency in Britain. After its foundation in 1965, the company soon established dominant position in the British tour market with own airlines and travel agencies.
The 33,930-ton, 1,350-passenger Thomson Spirit is stylish, spacious and sociable, with every little detail, from exquisite cuisine to relaxing entertainment. This vessel is a gateway to the world of choice.
Cruise itinerary program
Thomson Spirit itinerary program is based on cruises from Marmaris (Turkey) and Limassol (Cyprus). Interesting fact about the ship is that in 2014 during the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia, it served as a floating hotel.
Most Thomson Spirit staterooms are 145-175-sq.foot Oceanview (424). There are a total of 627 staterooms in 10 categories. Only 4 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Thomson Spirit are the Suites (430 ft2). Thomson Spirit cruise ship offers a wider range of staterooms compared to some of the other vessels in the fleet. Standard inside and outside rooms are spacious for an older vessel and have good storage space (lots of the outside staterooms have portholes rather than windows). Higher-grade outside staterooms are larger and have a good value.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Unlike other Thomson cruise liners, the Compass Rose Dining Room on Thomson Spirit offers open-seating dining for all 3 meals. The other major restaurant is the 24-hour casual Lido Restaurant. There's also the poolside Terrace Grill and Sirocco's, a reservations-required dining venue with a cover charge.
Follows the complete list of Thomson Spirit restaurants and food bars.
- Compass Rose Restaurant (serves breakfast, lunch and 6-course dinner; meals are open seating)
- Sirocco’s (an intimate à la carte restaurant which offers real dining experience; cover charge is applied, on-board reservation is required)
- Lido restaurant (with al-fresco dining area and self-service buffet, open 24 hours a day; twice a week international theme nights are held)
- Terrace Grill (the place for lunchtime BBQs, salads and pizzas served on the open deck; another possibility is the 24 hours a day room service, extra charge applied).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The five bars on Thomson Spirit provide stylish atmosphere. Among them is the Horizons - a sophisticated bar with live classical music and spotlight cabarets. The Raffles Bar features a central piano bar and is ideal for pre-dinner drinks. The Lido Bar is next to the pool, outdoors. The lounges on board Thomson Spirit are Explorers’ Lounge, playing relaxing live music, and Broadway Show Lounge, with top comedies and West End-style shows. High Spirits also provides live music plus game shows and a late-night disco.
Follows the complete list of Thomson Spirit lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Broadway Show Lounge (600-seat, features grand production shows with dance, acrobatics, comedy and games); Mezzanine Lounge & Bar (on top level of Broadway Lounge)
- Broad Street Shops (duty-free shopping arcade with boutiques selling watches, fine jewelry, Thomson Cruises logo merchandise, luxury perfumes, fashion clothes, liquor, tobaccos, convenience goods); Boutique (luxury Spa cosmetics, beauty products)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Card Room; Browsers’ Corner (Library); Cinema
- Explorers’ Lounge (features live piano music and daily Afternoon Tea; home to The Coffee Port bar for specialty coffees and teas served with complimentary desserts; wi-fi hotspot)
- Casino (served by its own Bar)
- Raffles Bar (piano bar for pre-dinner drinks, with panoramic sea views)
- Lido Bar (open 11:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.; serves the pool deck area)
- High Spirits (disco nightclub, with its own bar, stage for live performances, dance floor; offers live music, film screenings, game shows and dancing classes during the day)
- Main Pool area (paddle pool for kids, swimming pool, sunbathing area; served by an alfresco Lido Bar)
- Thomson Kids’ Club (play area, complimentary; offers supervised age-appropriate activities for kids 3-11 yo); Video Games Arcade; Graffiti’s Teen Area
- Oceans Spa & Gym (Wellness Centre: Massage Rooms, Saunas, Beauty Salon, Relaxation Area; The Gym has a separate Aerobic Studio)
- Adults-only pool deck area (swimming pool, whirlpool, sunbathing area)
- Horizons Lounge & Bar (observation lounge with panoramic sea views; has a dance floor and offers live classic music and jazz performances, as well as cabaret performancesin the evening)
- Sports deck (tenis tables, combined sport courts for basketball, football, tennis).
Thomson Spirit wiki
Year built 1983 (as MS Nieuw Amsterdam)
Passenger capacity / crew capacity 1254 (1350 max) / 520
Dimensions (Gross tonnage weight / LOA length) 33,930 tons / 706 ft (215 m)
Ship builder Chantiers de l'Atlantique (STX France)
Building cost USD 160 mill
Ship owner Carnival Corporation (Holland America Line)
Operator Thomson Cruises
Christened by -
Official website link Thomson.co.uk
Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
Thomson Spirit related cruise news
Guatemala was introduced together with more calls in Cuba in an expanded Caribbean program by Thomson Cruises for winter 2017-2018. Three of the...November 15, 2016
Portuguese newspapers reported that Thomson Cruises' ship Thomson Spirit, with more than a thousand passengers, became grounded while trying to...October 22, 2016
Celestyal Cruises could see a couple of new-builds join its fleet by 2021, according to Kyriakos Anastassiadis, line's CEO. The "ultimate objective...September 7, 2016
A travel agent specialising in Christian-themed cruises defrauded clients who booked a ‘Bible Lands Cruise’. Bob Fleming, 62...March 25, 2016
Thomson Cruises revealed its new program for summer 2016, including the announcement of itineraries for Thomson's latest addition to fleet...April 20, 2015
Other Thomson Cruises cruise ships
Thomson Spirit Itineraries 2017
The below listed Thomson Spirit cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Thomson Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|26 Apr||Departing from Limassol, Cyprus|
|27 Apr 12:00 - 18:00||Antalya, Turkey|
|28 Apr 08:00 - 18:00||Rhodes Island, Greece|
|29 Apr 08:00 - 18:00||Bodrum, Turkey|
|30 Apr 08:00 - 17:00||Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece|
|01 May 08:00 - 17:00||Gythion, Greece|
|02 May 08:00 - 14:00||Zakynthos Island, Greece|
|03 May 10:00 - 18:00||Kotor, Montenegro|
|04 May||Arriving in Dubrovnik, Croatia|