Thomson Spirit Review and Specifications
Specifications of Thomson Spirit
|Year built||1983 / Age : 34|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 150 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Thomson Cruises (UK)|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||215 m / 705 ft|
|Beam (width)||27 m / 89 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||33930 gt|
|Passengers||1254 - 1350|
|Decks with cabins||10|
|Former names||MS Nieuw Amsterdam, MS Patriot, MS Spirit|
Review of Thomson Spirit
Launched in 1983, Thomson Spirit is one of the Thomson Cruises ships, together with her sister Thomson Celebration. Thomson Holidays Celebration ship’s owner is HAL (Holland America Line, Carnival Corporation's subsidiary company). The vessel was built as ms Nieuw Amsterdam, and since 2003 operated under long-therm charter to the biggest tour operator in UK, Thomson Holidays line “Thomson Cruises”.
History - construction & ownership
Thomson Cruises is a Thomson-operated British cruise line, that offers low-price voyages around Europe with ships from Holland America Line and Louis Cruise Lines. Initially, the company entered cruise market in 1973. Due to the rising fuel costs, in 1976 it was terminated. Thomson Cruises restarted the cruise line in 1995 and nowadays holds 1% market share of worldwide cruise industry. Thomson Cruises has its own unique place in the British cruise market as cruise division of the largest tour operator and travel agency in Britain. After its foundation in 1965, the company soon established dominant position in the British tour market with own airlines and travel agencies.
The 33,930-ton, 1,350-passenger Thomson Spirit is stylish, spacious and sociable, with every little detail, from exquisite cuisine to relaxing entertainment. This vessel is a gateway to the world of choice.
Cruise itinerary program
Thomson Spirit itinerary program is based on cruises from Marmaris (Turkey) and Limassol (Cyprus). Interesting fact about the ship is that in 2014 during the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia, it served as a floating hotel.
Most Thomson Spirit staterooms are 145-175-sq.foot Oceanview (424). There are a total of 627 staterooms in 10 categories. Only 4 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Thomson Spirit are the Suites (430 ft2). Thomson Spirit cruise ship offers a wider range of staterooms compared to some of the other vessels in the fleet. Standard inside and outside rooms are spacious for an older vessel and have good storage space (lots of the outside staterooms have portholes rather than windows). Higher-grade outside staterooms are larger and have a good value.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Unlike other Thomson cruise liners, the Compass Rose Dining Room on Thomson Spirit offers open-seating dining for all 3 meals. The other major restaurant is the 24-hour casual Lido Restaurant. There's also the poolside Terrace Grill and Sirocco's, a reservations-required dining venue with a cover charge.
Follows the complete list of Thomson Spirit restaurants and food bars.
- Compass Rose Restaurant (serves breakfast, lunch and 6-course dinner; meals are open seating)
- Sirocco’s (an intimate à la carte restaurant which offers real dining experience; cover charge is applied, on-board reservation is required)
- Lido restaurant (with al-fresco dining area and self-service buffet, open 24 hours a day; twice a week international theme nights are held)
- Terrace Grill (the place for lunchtime BBQs, salads and pizzas served on the open deck; another possibility is the 24 hours a day room service, extra charge applied).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The five bars on Thomson Spirit provide stylish atmosphere. Among them is the Horizons - a sophisticated bar with live classical music and spotlight cabarets. The Raffles Bar features a central piano bar and is ideal for pre-dinner drinks. The Lido Bar is next to the pool, outdoors. The lounges on board Thomson Spirit are Explorers’ Lounge, playing relaxing live music, and Broadway Show Lounge, with top comedies and West End-style shows. High Spirits also provides live music plus game shows and a late-night disco.
Follows the complete list of Thomson Spirit lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Broadway Show Lounge (600-seat, features grand production shows with dance, acrobatics, comedy and games); Mezzanine Lounge & Bar (on top level of Broadway Lounge)
- Broad Street Shops (duty-free shopping arcade with boutiques selling watches, fine jewelry, Thomson Cruises logo merchandise, luxury perfumes, fashion clothes, liquor, tobaccos, convenience goods); Boutique (luxury Spa cosmetics, beauty products)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Card Room; Browsers’ Corner (Library); Cinema
- Explorers’ Lounge (features live piano music and daily Afternoon Tea; home to The Coffee Port bar for specialty coffees and teas served with complimentary desserts; wi-fi hotspot)
- Casino (served by its own Bar)
- Raffles Bar (piano bar for pre-dinner drinks, with panoramic sea views)
- Lido Bar (open 11:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.; serves the pool deck area)
- High Spirits (disco nightclub, with its own bar, stage for live performances, dance floor; offers live music, film screenings, game shows and dancing classes during the day)
- Main Pool area (paddle pool for kids, swimming pool, sunbathing area; served by an alfresco Lido Bar)
- Thomson Kids’ Club (play area, complimentary; offers supervised age-appropriate activities for kids 3-11 yo); Video Games Arcade; Graffiti’s Teen Area
- Oceans Spa & Gym (Wellness Centre: Massage Rooms, Saunas, Beauty Salon, Relaxation Area; The Gym has a separate Aerobic Studio)
- Adults-only pool deck area (swimming pool, whirlpool, sunbathing area)
- Horizons Lounge & Bar (observation lounge with panoramic sea views; has a dance floor and offers live classic music and jazz performances, as well as cabaret performancesin the evening)
- Sports deck (tenis tables, combined sport courts for basketball, football, tennis).
Thomson Spirit wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 10
- Total number of cabins: 627 (of which 21 Suites, 424 Oceanview, 203 Inside, 21 Single, 4 Wheelchair accessible).
- Dining Rooms: The Compass Rose (722-seat, waiter service, open seating).
- Restaurants and food bars: Sirocco's (a la carte, cover charge applied, reservations required), Lido (buffet), Terrace Grill (barbecue eatery and Italian pizzeria in the evenings).
- Lounges & Bars: Broadway Show Lounge, High Spirits (hosting game shows, live music, late-night disco), Explorers' Lounge, Horizons (live music), Raffles (piano bar), Lido Bar, Mezzanine Bar & Lounge, Card room.
- Oceans Beauty Salon, Spa and Gym, swimming pools (2 - Adults' and Kids'), jaccuzi, Sports deck, 24-hour Room service (extra charge), casino, cinema, Thomson Kids' Club, Graffiti's Teen Area, Video Arcade, library with Internet access, gift shops, Photo Gallery, self-service laundrettes.
- MS Thomson Spirit cruise ship is the longest-serving vessel in Thomson UK's fleet. The ship was built as ms Nieuw Amsterdam (link to the Holland America ship). In 2000, the vessel was taken over by United State Lines (now defunct) and renamed "ms Patriot", before chartered by Celestyal Cruises. In 2002, it was sub-chartered by Thomson and in May 2003, following a drydock refit, started operations as "Thomson Spirit".
- Most of the cruise passengers are from the UK, but much younger than those on other lines popular with British cruising market. Longer itineraries attract mid-40s and upwards couples,. During school holidays, there are many families too.
- Fun fact is, that during the 2014 Winter Olympics (Russia), the ship was used as floating hotel - together with Celestyal Olympia and Grand Holiday (now MS Magellan for CMV).
- The ship will leave the Thomson's fleet in the end of 2017 to join Celestyal Cruises.
The following table shows the ship's last cruise for Thomson UK. The 7 nights / 8 days itinerary (themed
"Ancient Affair") was roundtrip from Cyprus. Prices started from USD 770 pp (double occupancy).
|15 Nov||Departing from Limassol, Cyprus|
|16 Nov 10:00 - 18:00||Alanya, Turkey|
|17 Nov 09:00 - 17:00||Marmaris, Turkey|
|18 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Heraklion, Crete, Greece|
|20 Nov - 21 Nov||Ashdod, Jerusalem, Israel|
|22 Nov||Arriving in Limassol, Cyprus|
Thomson Spirit related cruise news
Other Thomson Cruises cruise ships
Thomson Spirit Itineraries 2017
The below listed Thomson Spirit cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Thomson Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
01 June 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Venetian Vistas
08 June 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Classical Greece
15 June 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Adriatic Affair
22 June 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Taste of the Adriatic
29 June 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Venetian Vistas
06 July 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Classical Greece
13 July 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Adriatic Affair
20 July 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Taste of the Adriatic
27 July 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Venetian Vistas
03 August 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Classical Greece
10 August 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Adriatic Affair
17 August 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Taste of the Adriatic
24 August 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Venetian Vistas
31 August 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Classical Greece
07 September 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Adriatic Affair
14 September 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Taste of the Adriatic
21 September 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Venetian Vistas
28 September 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Classical Greece
05 October 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Adriatic Affair
12 October 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Taste of the Adriatic
19 October 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Venetian Vistas
26 October 2017 6 nights / 7 days, one-way from Dubrovnik to Limassol
01 November 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Aegean Titans
08 November 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Ancient Affair
15 November 2017 7 nights / 8 days, round-trip Ancient Affair