Viking Spirit Review and Specifications
Specifications of Viking Spirit
|Builder||Fincantieri (Ancona, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 300 million|
|Owner||Viking Ocean Cruises|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||227 m / 745 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||47800 gt|
|Passengers||928 - 928|
|Decks with cabins||6|
Review of Viking Spirit
Viking Spirit, launched in 2018 (currently under construction), is the 5th in a series of five identical cruise vessels to be commissioned for Viking Ocean Cruises. The ship is preceeded by Viking Star (2015), Viking Sea (2016), Viking Sky (February 2017) and Viking Sun (2017). Viking chairman Torstein Hagen announced plans to create at least 9 nearly identical ships. The new ships will be built according to the latest navigation regulations and equipped with the most modern safety systems, including the “Safe return to port”. They will be designed by Fincantieri and the interior fittings will be assigned to Rottet Studio of Los Angeles and SMC Design of London, as with the previous ships.
History - construction & ownership
The 47,800-ton, 930-passenger cruise ship Viking Spirit offers destination-oriented cruising experience, with few at-sea days, long in-ports days and more exciting overnights in key spots. Ship’s features include complimentary Wi-Fi, free shore excursions, wine and beer with no charge at dinner and lunch.
Viking Spirit has all-veranda staterooms and was designed by seasoned naval engineers and architects. The look of the vessel is modern Scandinavian. Viking Spirit features two pools, including an infinity one in the stern, and a spa with sauna and snow grotto.
The keel-laying for Viking Spirit, the 5th of the 6 cruise ships that Viking Ocean Cruises ordered from Fincantieri, Italy took place on February 15, 2017 at Ancona yard.
Cruise itinerary program
Viking Spirit itinerary program is to be announced soon. Each of the new 930-passenger ships includes many freebies, such as shore excursions, transfers, wi-fi, wine and beer at lunch and dinner, access to Nordic spa's steam room, thalassotherapy pool, hot tub, snow room, sauna and cold plunge pool. The infinity pool at the stern is another standout feature of the quartet.
All cabins are balconied and at 270 sq.feet, are 20 % larger than the average standard staterooms. Five stateroom categories are offered. The new all-veranda ship is engineered for easy embarkation and debarkation.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Viking Spirit offers the following dining venues: Restaurant (dining room), buffets (Viking Deli, World Cafe), Aquavit Terrace (al fresco), specialty (Italian Grill, Chef’s Table), Private Dining (2 rooms). Viking Spirit deals are inclusive of shore excursions, complimentary alcohol (wine and beer at lunch and dinner) and Wi-Fi.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
On board, Viking Cruises Viking Spirit ship offers two pools – the main and Infinity Pool, spa and fitness center. The Sea also features a piano lounge, wintergarden and aquavit terrace. Not to forget the sports deck, star theatre and bar, lobby bar, various shops. The walk-around promenade deck fully encircles the ship. The two-deck airy Explorer’s Lounge offers observation area which is a feature that lots of today’s cruise ships lack. Many of the new features reflect a boutique hotel feel – the fire pit and Nordic-influenced spa offering sauna and snow room are an example.
Viking Spirit wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 18
- Total number of cabins: 465 (of which 47 Suite, 32 Penthouse, 386 Balcony rooms).
- Restaurants: Restaurant (main dining), buffet (World Cafe, Viking Deli), al fresco (Aquavit Terrace), specialty (Chef’s Table, Italian Grill).
- Lounges & Bars: Spirit (theater), Explorers (observation), Atrium (Lobby and Lounge), Shops, Bar, Piano Bar, Wintergarden (poolside area), Walking Track, walkaround Promenade (deck 2), covered pool area (with jacuzzi, bar & grill), infinity pool (jacuzzi), Spa & Fitness, Beauty Salon.
- All Viking Ocean ships are built at the Marghera shipyard (near Venice Italy). Just like her sisters in the Viking Ocean's fleet (Sea, Sky, Star and Sun), Viking Spirit cruise ship offers destination-rich itineraries featured with the line's new "small ship cruise" tour and onboard experience. Compared to similar class ships operated by other lines, Viking Ocean itineraries feature fewer sea days and longer port days, with many overnight port stays.
- All passenger cabins are with a private veranda, and about 1/5th larger than average standard staterooms on the ocean cruising market. Interesting feature of the ship is the dining room. This venue could be transformed into an outdoor casual dining place thanks to its floor-to-ceiling sliding windows.
- Viking Cruises deals (on all river and ocean ships) are inclusive of shore excursions (land tours), onboard entertainment and dining (including at specialty restaurants), drinks and alcohol (beer, wine /at lunch and dinner), 24-hour room service, Wi-Fi.
Viking Spirit related cruise news
The keel-laying for Viking Spirit, the 5th of the 6 cruise ships that Viking Ocean Cruises ordered from Fincantieri, Italy took place on...February 17, 2017
Viking Ocean Cruises' first ocean-going ship, Viking Star, has arrived to the United States and is about to start her inaugural Caribbean...October 15, 2016
TPG Capital and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board intend to make a joint US$ 500 M investment in parent company Viking Cruises for...September 14, 2016