ms Nieuw Statendam Review and Specifications
Specifications of ms Nieuw Statendam
|Year built||2018 / Age : -1|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 520 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||285 m / 935 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||99500 gt|
|Passengers||2650 - 3194|
|Decks with cabins||8|
Review of ms Nieuw Statendam
MS Nieuw Statendam cruise ship is the second vessel (newest and largest) in the Holland America fleet. It belongs to the new Pinnacle class series and has as sister-ship ms Koningsdam (launched in 2016).
History - construction & ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based American owned cruise line, which has been owned by Carnival Corp. & plc since 1989. From 1873 to 1989, HAL was a Dutch shipping line, a cargo line, a passenger line, and a cruise line operating mainly between the Netherlands and North America. Holland America Line was instrumental in the transport of hundreds of thousands of immigrants to North America. Founded in 1873 as the Dutch-American Steamship Company (Nederlandsche-Amerikaansche Stoomvaart Maatschappij), it was headquartered in Rotterdam, Netherlands, and provided service to North, South and Latin America. The first ship of the company was the original Rotterdam. On October 15, 1872 the vessel sailed its 15-day maiden voyage to New York City from the Netherlands. Other services were started to new world ports of call. In 1989 Holland America ceased operating as a Dutch line, as it was bought by Carnival Corporation for EUR 530 million.
The 99,500-ton, 3,194-passenger cruise ship ms Nieuw Statendam preserves classic Holland America touches, such as a traditional teak promenade and line's prosperous Culinary Arts Center. Holland America Line's newest cruise ship is sister to Koningsdam - a new class vessel launched in May 2016). Nieuw Statendam is due to be delivered in November 2018. The "Nieuw Statendam" ship name (translated from Dutch as "New Statendam") was announced on May 23, 2016. It honors MS Statendam (now Pacific Eden) - the 5th Statendam-named vessel since the company's establishment in the distant 1898. The line's other "new" named ship is Nieuw Amsterdam (2010).
Cruise itinerary program
There are some speculations about the Holland America Line's newest cruise ship ms Nieuw Statendam to be deployed for round-trip itineraries in the world's booming cruise travel destinations - Australia and Asia. If true, considering the vessel's size and capacity, its home-ports will be most probably Sydney Australia (during winter) and either Hong Kong, Tianjin-Beijing or Shanghai (during summer). In such a case, the spring-fall reposition route will be via Indonesia and Singapore.
The Nieuw Statendam's designers are two world-renown designer companies. The cruise ship design is by Y&S ("Yran & Storbraaten” /based in Norway) and "Tihany Design” (based in New York USA). Passenger cabins sizes vary from 16 m2 (Interior) to 35 m2 (Neptune Suite /aka premium balcony) and 90 m2 (Penthouse /fka Pinnacle Suite). The ship offers 27 handicap cabins. The total number of cabins is 1331 (of which 164 Suites, 748 Balcony, 142 Oceanview, 277 Inside rooms) in 35 cabin grades.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Ship's 2-level main restaurant venue serves open-seating breakfast and lunch, as well as a blend of flexible and set-seating restaurant-style meals at dinner. Breakfast hours in the MDR vary but start as early as 7:00 a.m. on port days and 8:00 a.m. on sea days, wrapping up by 9:30 a.m. Breakfast fare includes breads, cereals, French toast, blueberry pancakes, corned beef hash, egg dishes and yogurt parfaits. Portions are on the smaller side, so better opt for a second pastry. Lunch in the MDR is typically limited to an hour per day (from noon to 1:00 p.m. on sea days; closed when the ship is in port for an entire day). If you see a line of guests waiting to be seated, do not be deterred as the line moves fast and the tables are plenty. Lunch fare includes sandwiches, soups, light salads, fish and heartier entrees.
Holland America is famous for its exceptional dining experiences on every voyage, but the line’s newest ships ms Koningsdam and ms Nieuw Statendam boast even more culinary options. Take a look at the latest “Countdown to Koningsdam” video: The Dining Room
The Dining Room is where passengers will dine in a more formal setting. The two-story restaurant features an airy and sophisticated ambience, with several new characteristics for a HAL ship. On the menu will be HAL's classic selections, signature dishes, regionally inspired cuisine, Culinary Council recipes from the world-renowned chefs who compose the group, including Master Chef & Council Chairman Rudi Sodamin and international chefs David Burke, Elizabeth Falkner, Jacques Torres, Jonnie Boer and Mark Best.
In addition to The Dining Room, Nieuw Statendam guests will enjoy fine dining in alternative restaurants including a redesigned Lido Market with themed stations; a new French seafood brasserie Sel de Mer; a new farm-to-table concept dinner experience in Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine magazine; and favorites such as Canaletto Italian restaurant, pan-Asian Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill.
Holland America Line (HAL) is partnering with microgreen specialist Koppert Cress. The aim of the project is to grow fresh ingredients onboard the newbuilds of the line, ms Koningsdam and ms Nieuw Statendam. The Koppert Cress partnership will give guests the chance to indulge in fresh microgreens grown onboard in ship's Culinary Arts Center and enjoy a farm-to-table-style dinner menu. The ingredients will be on display in a glass-enclosed growing area in the Culinary Arts Center, which also will serve as a dinner venue.
The wine-blending purpose-built room BLEND by Chateau Ste. Michelle seats up to 10 guests, who can learn about, taste wine and mix up to five wines thus creating their unique wine blends.
Follows the complete list of ms Nieuw Statendam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Sel de Mer (Specialty Restaurant serving French seafood; dinner-only)
- The Dining Room (aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
- Lido Market (386-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annex; operates as Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required)
- Tamarind (Asian specialty restaurant; reservations-only)
- Dive-In (complimentary fastfood bar)
- New York Deli (fastfood bar)
- Gelato (ice-cream parlor).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The World Stage is ship's main theater, featuring 270-degree LED screens for multiple stage configurations. The Lido Pool, which is one of two pools onboard, has an outdoor screen, three whirlpools and two levels of cushioned lounge chairs. Onboard entertainment is taken to a new level with the Music Walk area featuring all music genres. Lincoln Center Stage is a collaboration with "Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts" featuring classical music with a quintet combining piano and strings. Additionally, the 2-tier Queen's Lounge features musical performances including the famous B.B. King's Blues experience and the biggest dance floor on Nieuw Statendam.
Follows the complete list of ms Nieuw Statendam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Stuyvesant Room (multi-purpose, used for cards playing, group meetings, presentations, “Club HAL” kids program)
- World Stage (theater/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Lounge (2-tiered grand ballroom; also hosts HAL’s BB King’s Blues Club)
- Digital Worksho
ms Nieuw Statendam wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Passenger decks: 12
- Cabin grades number: 35
- Total number of cabins: 1331 (of which 164 Suites, 748 Balcony, 142 Oceanview, 277 Inside rooms)
- Dining Rooms: 1 (MDR)
- Restaurants and food bars: Canaletto (Italian), Tamarind (Asian), Pinnacle Grill (steakhouse, seafood, transforming into “Le Cirque”), Gelato (ice-cream parlor).
- Lounges & Bars: World Stage (2-level theater), Stuyvesant Room, Atrium (3-decks high), Shore Excursions Desk, 4 Meeting Rooms, Digital Workshop (powered by MS Windows), Queen’s Lounge, Photo Gallery & Shop, Merabella Luxury Shop, Signature Shops, Dive-in (scuba and diving equipment), Lido Market, Culinary Arts Center, Art Gallery, Crow’s Nest (observation lounge & nightclub), Explorer’s, Queen’s, Neptune, Club HAL (kids), Loft (teens), Grand Dutch Cafe, Piano bar, Ocean bar, Panorama bar.
- Amenities: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats.
- Casino, Greenhouse Spa & Salon, Sea View (adults only), Fitness, 5 jacuzzis, 2 pools, Promenade (Deck 3).
- Holland America Line's newest cruise ship is sister to Koningsdam - a new class vessel launched in May 2016).
- The "Nieuw Statendam" ship name (translated from Dutch as "New Statendam") was announced on May 23, 2016. It honors MS Statendam (now Pacific Eden) - the 5th Statendam-named vessel since the company's establishment in the distant 1898. The line's other "new" named ship is Nieuw Amsterdam (2010).
- Like Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam ship design is by the companies "Tihany Design” (New York, USA) and "Yran & Storbraaten Architects AS” (Oslo, Norway). The vessel features a 2-level theater (named "World Stage"), 3-decks high Atrium, "Digital Workshop" (powered by Microsoft), numerous dining options (including some new for HAL), signature lounges and bars, expanded kids and teen facilities "Greenhouse Spa" (fleet's largest), the adults only retreat "Sea View".
- Passenger cabins sizes vary from 16 m2 (Interior) to 35 m2 (Neptune Suite /aka premium balcony) and 90 m2 (Penthouse /fka Pinnacle Suite). The ship offers 27 handicap cabins.
- On May 23, 2016, HAL officially announced the name for its second Pinnacle-class vessel scheduled for delivery in November 2018. It is HAL's 6th vessel to carry the name "Statendam".
- On July 12, 2016, was held the steel-cutting ceremony at Fincantieri's Palermo shipyard, where the first block was built before moving it to Marghera where the ship was actually constructed.
- On March 20, 2017, at Fincantieri’s shipyard in Marghera (Venice Italy) was held the vessel's keel laying ceremony. Its first building block (length 11,3 m, width 34,8 m, weight 260 tons, part of the ship's central section) was placed.
Inaugural cruise itineraries 2018
There are some speculations about the HAL's newest ship to be deployed for round-trip itineraries in the world's booming cruise travel destinations - Australia and Asia. If true, considering the vessel's size and capacity, its home-ports will be most probably Sydney (during winter) and either Hong Kong, Tianjin-Beijing or Shanghai (during summer). In such a case, the spring-fall reposition route will be via Indonesia and Singapore.