Carnival Spirit Review and Specifications
Specifications of Carnival Spirit
|Builder||Kvaerner Masa (Rauma, STX Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 380 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||292 m / 958 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||85920 gt|
|Passengers||2124 - 2549|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Christened by||Elizabeth Dole|
Review of Carnival Spirit
Launched in 2001, Carnival Spirit is the first of four Spirit-class Carnival ships, together with Carnival Miracle, Pride and Legend. Spirit cost US$375 million to build and was last refurbished in 2015.
History - construction & ownership
The shipowner Carnival Cruise Lines is an American company headquartered in Doral, Florida. It was founded as an independent company by Ted Arison in 1972. Today, it is one of the 9 cruise ship brands owned and operated by Carnival Corp. & plc. The line has the largest fleet in the whole Carnival group of cruise companies, with 24 ships currently in operation, and accounting for 21.1% of the cruise industry's worldwide market.
The 85,920-ton, 2,124-passenger Spirit Class cruise ship Carnival Spirit introduced some significant firsts for the company, including onboard wedding chapels and alternative restaurants. Spirit-class ships also boast an impressive 80% ratio of outside cabins, and lots of nice little touches such as 'designer' martinis and museum-quality artwork. The cruise vessel, that introduced a whole new class for Carnival, shares its basic design with Costa Atlantica and offers all the best of earlier Carnival ships - a waterslide, lots of bars and extensive kids' facilities.
In early 2012, Carnival Spirit underwent a US$7 million refurb to make her ready for a new home in Australia. Carnival added a totally new aqua park and waterslide, Green Thunder; a 180-foot-long twister which starts with a near-vertical drop; the Serenity deck space, Carnival's signature adults-only retreat; and a new top-deck barbecue place. Following the last refit in 2015, Aussies also benefit from enhanced coffee, more draught beers and more cabins with interconnecting doors.
Cruise itinerary program
Carnival Spirit itinerary program is based on departures from Sydney, Australia to South Pacific Islands (Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Fiji). The ship also calls at Tasmania and operates on Sydney cruises to nowhere.
Most Carnival Spirit staterooms are 185-sq.foot insides (213), oceanview (167) and balcony (632, with verandas of 40-85 sq.feet). There are also 50 Suites and 16 wheelchair accessible cabins, but no Spa accommodations. Suites include separate sitting areas, refrigerators, spa bathtubs (whirlpools), double sinks and large balconies with two tables, sun loungers and sitting chairs. Extra services for suite guests include priority embarkation and disembarkation.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
The 1,300-seat, 2-deck Empire Restaurant features Napoleonic splendour, with ceiling domes decorated with murals and crystal chandeliers. Even the portholes are trimmed in gold. The grand circular staircase boasts a sculpture of Napoleon at his coronation. Open seating breakfast is served between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. only on Deck 2 and a Sea Day Brunch is introduced for days at sea between 8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. to replace breakfast and lunch in the main dining room. La Playa Grill Lido Restaurant situated on Deck 9 is a buffet eatery referred to by both names - Lido and La Playa Grill. It occupies a large area on Lido deck between adults-only Serenity Retreat and the main Dome pool. There are ten food stations serving various food for lunch and dinner, such as Asian, deli sandwiches and wraps, carvery meats, salads and desserts. The ice-cream and pizza bars, found in the eatery, are open 24 hours. The Taste Bar on Deck 2 is a little kiosk that hands out small morsels of the items on offer in the dining room. It's open in the early evening. Two chefs prepare and serve the little bites.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Spirit restaurants and food bars.
- Empire Restaurant (1250-seat aft Dining Room, with two fixed dinner seatings, or “Your Time Dining”; offers “Seuss At Sea” themed breakfasts for $5; with the Napoleon Room restaurant annex).
- Nouveau Steakhouse (156-seat reservations only restaurant, serving seafood and prime beef steaks; with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- La Playa Grille Lido Buffet Restaurant (1458-seat self-service restaurant with complimentary food stations; operates as dinner bistro in the evenings)
- Sushi Bar (complimentary).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Carnival Spirit provides cruise experience like taking a journey all over the world. Legendary designer Joe Farcus got inspired to memorialize the "creative spirit" on the liner. The show room is figured with Egyptian hieroglyphics and murals, the piano bar is a homage to Shanghai and "Chinoise" style, the Artist's Lobby accents famed European artists, the library of Chippendale is accurate of an English country manor. The hodgepodge of styles might strike you.
Carnival Spirit has much day-time fun with a big emphasis on trivia - there will be 3 to 4 games with different themes on any given day. There are also staff-led activities, such as golf chipping competitions, table tennis competitions, family scavenger hunts, along with towel-folding lessons and dance classes. A couple of lectures take place each day, given by the cruise director or by a visiting expert. Sushi-making demonstrations take place in the Bonsai Sushi and ticketed wine-and-cheese tasting in adults-only Serenity (held at least once per cruise).
Follows the complete list of Carnival Spirit lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Versailles Lounge (484-seat, hosts Punchliner Comedy Club/brunch)
- Dancin’ Dance Club Disco & Nightclub (118-seat, 2-level Dance Club)
- Pharaoh’s Palace Theatre (1167-seat, 3-level main show lounge, also used for movies, bingo games, gameshows)
- Monarch’s Card Room (20-seat)
- Fountain Cafe (112-seat specialty coffee bar and patisserie)
- The Champions Bar (67-seat sports bar); Artists’ Lobby Lounge (85-seat wine bar); Shanghai Bar (106-seat piano bar); Snack Bar, Towel Bar; Deco Foyer Lounge & Bar (66-seat)
- Club Cool Jazz Club (135-seat jazz lounge)
- Louis XIV Casino (278-seat, served by Louis XIV Bar)
- Spirit Atrium Spirit Lobby (9-deck high midship open area with dance floor and stage, served by 147-seat Spirit Lobby Bar)
- The Jungle Interior Promenade (52-seat)
- Chippendale Library & Internet Cafe (23-seat, 24-hour Internet computers)
- Wedding Chapel (30-seat)
- Deco Walk Upper Promenade (52-seat)
- The Fun Shops (offers “Bon Voyage” items, duty-free liquor, jewelry, fashion boutiques, souvenirs, logo items); Formalities Shop (tuxedo rentals, special occasion gifts); Studio Photo Gallery & Shop
- Techno Video Games Arcade (24-hour)
- Circle C (kids' lounge complimentary area with video games, parties, movies, planned activities)
- Camp Carnival (aft located kids' lounge area with complimentary kids programmes and supervised activities)
- Spa Carnival complex (with Steam Rooms, Saunas, Whirlpool, 10 Treatment Rooms, Classique Beauty Salon and Fitness Center)
- Serenity (adult-only relaxation area with Whirlpool, Pool, Bar and sunbathing area with lounges)
- Sun Pool (with 1 Whirlpool) and Dome Pool (main, with 1 Whirlpool; covered with sliding roof), both served by Canopy Bar)
- Club O2 (teens club lounge with video games, movies, karaoke and themed parties)
- Carnival Waterworks Aqua Park (with Twister Waterslide, PowerDrencher, two mini racing slides, Green Thunder Waterslide, play areas with jets and fountains)
- Volleyball-Basketball Court; 9-hole Mini Golf Course; Jogging Track, Shuffleboard.
Carnival Spirit wiki
- Fun Ship 2.0 upgrade in 2015
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Passenger decks: 12
- Cabin grades number: 33
- Total number of cabins: 1062 (of which 50 Suites)
- Dining Rooms: Empire
- Restaurants and food bars: La Playa (buffet), Nouveau (steakhouse), Sushi, BlueIguana Cantina, Guy’s Burger Joint.
- Bars: Spirit, Canopy, Shanghai, Fountain, Champions, Serenity,
- Lounges & Bars: Pharaoh's palace, Dancin’ (nightclub), Alchemy Bar, BlueIguana Tequila Bar, RedFrog Rum Bar, Club Cool, Deco Foyer, Versailles, Artists (lobby), poolside bars
- Serenity retreat area, Spa Carnival, 4 jacuzzis, 4 pools, Spirit Water Park "WaterWorks" with the slides "Twister" and "Green Thunder", and the PowerDrencher bucket, wedding chapel, Outdoor Theater.
- The Carnival cruise ship Spirit is the line's first Spirit-class vessel. Her sisters are the Carnival ships Legend, Miracle, Pride, and the Costa Cruises ships Atlantica and Mediterranea.
- Spirit was the first Carnival cruise ship to Alaska and Hawaii. This boat features the world's most steep water-slide at sea (called "Green Thunder"). The ship's last refurbishment was done in San Francisco (in 2012, for $7 million), where the WaterWorks aqua park was installed, along with a "Serenity" deck (adult passengers only retreat area).
- During winter 2017-2018 season, Carnival Spirit will be repositioned to China to offer Asia cruises round-trip from Shanghai (home-port). The seasonal redeployment is due to a scheduled drydock refurbishment in Singapore. Spirit has been homeported in Sydney Australia since 2012 performing strongly on the local market. The decision makes Spirit the first ever Carnival cruise ship departing from China. The ship will return to Australia in spring 2018 to continue the previous year-round itinerary program from Sydney. The other Carnival Asia ship is Carnival Splendor (to be repositioned in spring 2018). Carnival Asia cruise operations are partnership between Carnival Cruise Lines and the Carnival Corporation's subsidiary on the Chinese market - Costa Asia.
Carnival Spirit related cruise news
Carnival Cruise Line's guests will be able to use Carnival Hub in order to maximise fun throughout the voyage, with the app featuring line’s...February 6, 2017
Carnival Cruise Line revealed new kids activities, games, theme parties and entertainment are coming to Carnival Legend and Carnival Spirit over the...November 21, 2016
Princess Cruises’ vp Australia & New Zealand Stuart Allison announced line’s longest world cruise out of Sydney in 2018 at 2016...October 31, 2016
Carnival Cruise Line's Carnival Spirit marked her arrival in Sydney Harbour yesterday morning with a spectacular display of wakeboarding...October 31, 2016
One of the most popular cruise ships in Australia, Carnival Spirit, will stay year-round in Sydney instead of moving to China for 2018 winter...October 29, 2016
Two female travelers were rescued by a passing cruise liner following a distress signal sent from a superyacht in waters off NSW mid-north coast...October 4, 2016
Carnival Cruise Line is planning a cruise from Sydney to Singapore, that will include company's first calls to Ho Chi Minh City and Ko Samui, as...August 23, 2016
Carnival Cruise Line has carried 500,000 passengers since entering Australian market in 2012 when the 88,500 GT Carnival Spirit was permanently...June 8, 2016
Carnival is introducing faster and cheaper internet and social media packages on its ships based in Australia - Carnival Legend and Carnival Spirit...May 13, 2016
Carnival Spirit will be deployed to China for Australian winter season in 2018 after a scheduled dry dock in Singapore. The ship has been based in...May 4, 2016
- show more news
Other Carnival Cruise Line cruise ships
Carnival Spirit Itineraries 2017
The below listed Carnival Spirit cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Carnival Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|06 Aug||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|09 Aug 09:00 - 18:00||Isle of Pines, New Caledonia|
|10 Aug 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|11 Aug 08:00 - 18:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|12 Aug 08:00 - 17:00||Champagne Bay, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu|
|14 Aug 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|17 Aug||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|21 Aug||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|24 Aug 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|25 Aug 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|27 Aug 08:00 - 17:00||Suva, Viti Levu Island, Fiji|
|28 Aug 07:00 - 18:00||Port Denarau, Nadi, Fiji|
|30 Aug 08:00 - 17:00||Isle of Pines, New Caledonia|
|02 Sep||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|17 Oct||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|21 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Champagne Bay, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu|
|22 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|23 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|24 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Isle of Pines, New Caledonia|
|25 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|28 Oct||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|11 Nov||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|14 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|16 Nov 07:00 - 18:00||Port Denarau, Nadi, Fiji|
|17 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Suva, Viti Levu Island, Fiji|
|19 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|20 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Isle of Pines, New Caledonia|
|23 Nov||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
Carnival Spirit Itineraries 2018
The below listed Carnival Spirit cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Carnival Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|16 Jan||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|19 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|20 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|22 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Suva, Viti Levu Island, Fiji|
|23 Jan 07:00 - 18:00||Port Denarau, Nadi, Fiji|
|25 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Isle of Pines, New Caledonia|
|28 Jan||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|17 Feb||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|20 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|21 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|23 Feb 07:00 - 18:00||Port Denarau, Nadi, Fiji|
|24 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Suva, Viti Levu Island, Fiji|
|26 Feb 07:00 - 15:00||Mare Island, Tadine, New Caledonia|
|01 Mar||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|06 Mar||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|10 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Champagne Bay, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu|
|11 Mar 08:00 - 18:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|12 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|13 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|14 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Isle of Pines, New Caledonia|
|17 Mar||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|25 Mar||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|27 Mar 09:00 - 17:00||Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|29 Mar 07:00 - 16:00||Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia|
|30 Mar 09:00 - 18:00||Yorkeys Knob, Queensland, Australia|
|31 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia|
|01 Apr 09:00 - 10:00||Willis Island, Coral Sea, Australia|
|04 Apr||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|03 May||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|06 May 08:00 - 17:00||Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia|
|10 May 08:00 - 17:00||Darwin, NT Australia|
|13 May 08:00 - 17:00||Benoa, Bali, Indonesia|
|17 May 09:00 - 17:00||Phu My, Ho Chi Minh City / Saigon, Vietnam|
|20 May 08:00 - 17:00||Koh Samui Island, Thailand|
|22 May||Arriving in Singapore|
|06 Jun||Departing from Singapore|
|08 Jun 08:00 - 18:00||Phuket, Phuket Island, Thailand|
|12 Jun 08:00 - 17:00||Benoa, Bali, Indonesia|
|13 Jun 10:00 - 21:00||Pulau Komodo Island, Indonesia|
|16 Jun 08:00 - 17:00||Darwin, NT Australia|
|20 Jun 08:00 - 17:00||Airlie Beach, Queensland, Australia|
|22 Jun 08:00 - 17:00||Gladstone, Queensland, Australia|
|25 Jun||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|10 Sep||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|13 Sep 09:00 - 18:00||Isle of Pines, New Caledonia|
|14 Sep 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|15 Sep 08:00 - 17:00||Mare Island, Tadine, New Caledonia|
|16 Sep 08:00 - 17:00||Mystery Island, Vanuatu|
|17 Sep 08:00 - 18:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|21 Sep||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|19 Nov||Departing from Sydney, NSW, Australia|
|22 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Noumea, New Caledonia|
|23 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Lifou Island, New Caledonia|
|24 Nov 08:00 - 18:00||Port Vila, Efate Island, Vanuatu|
|25 Nov 09:00 - 18:00||Mare Island, Tadine, New Caledonia|
|26 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Isle of Pines, New Caledonia|
|29 Nov||Arriving in Sydney, NSW, Australia|