Ponant Icebreaker Review and Specifications
Specifications of Ponant Icebreaker
|Year built||2021 new ship|
|Builder||VARD shipyards (Tulcea Romania and Soviknes Norway)|
|Class||ice-strengthened cruise ship|
|Building cost||USD 324 million (EUR 274 million)|
|Owner||Groupe Artemis (Financiere Pinault)|
|Operator||Compagnie du Ponant Cruises|
|Length (LOA)||150 m / 492 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||30000 gt|
Review of Ponant Icebreaker
The cruise ship Ponant Icebreaker was built at the shipyards in Tulcea Romania (hull and superstructure) and Soviknes Norway (outfitting), with scheduled delivery in April 2021. Ship's building cost is USD 324 million (EUR 274 million). In December 2017, Ponant Cruises contracted the VARD company (Norwegian subsidiary of Fincantieri Italy) to built world's first ice-breaking cruises ship.
History - construction and ownership
Compagnie du Ponant (CDP) is a French cruise shipping company founded in April 1988 by former French Merchant Navy officers. All Ponant ships are France-flagged. The company specializes in premium adventure cruise travel targeting the French-speaking source market with all-inclusive deals. Most of CDP's fleet is based in Antarctica (December through March). All these mega-yachts offer modern amenities, premium service by highly-traned staff and crew, 5-star hotel amenities onboard. Exotic, offbeat itineraries visit popular travel destinations worldwide, including Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean, Southeast Asia, South America, Australia.
The new expedition ship has GT tonnage 30,000 tons, length 150 m (490 ft), crew 180, max capacity 270 passengers, with a total of 135 cabins (of which 68 with private patio balconies), 2 restaurants, 1 grill restaurant, spa and fitness, wraparound Promenade (outdoor deck), aft-located Sun Deck with swimming pool, 16 Zodiacs (large inflatable boats), fore-located helipad (2 onboard helicopters).
The hull is ice-classed PC2. The propulsion is diesel-electric (hybrid). The onboard LNG Fuel storage is by GTT. The Azipod propulsion units are by ABB.
The ships is LNG powered (Wartsila Dual Fuel engines, with alternative battery power) and operated on polar cruise itineraries (Arctic and Antarctica). Ponant will be able to explore new polar destinations, including true geographic North Pole (90 degrees North Latitude) and remote spots like Peter Island, Ross Sea and Weddell Sea.
Ponant Icebreaker wiki
- The world’s first-ever electric hybrid icebreaker's propulsion sistem consists of two ABB Azipod VI units (azymuth thrusters). This marked ABB's 100th cruise ship Azipod order since 1995 when this patented technology was first implemented (on the Carnival Cruise Line ships Elation and Paradise). Next order was in 1997 (from Royal Caribbean) - 3 units for the then the world's biggest cruise liner Voyager of the Seas.
- ABB's Azipod VI series features 6-m / 10-ft propellers and combined power output of 34 MW, resulting in greater maneuverability, fuel savings and efficiency gain (10-15% in comparison to the conventional shaftline systems). By using Azipod propulsion, the Ponant icebreaker ship saves around 700,000 tons of fuel per year.
- ABB Azipods as power output vary between 1,5 and 22 MW per unit. ABB land-based experts monitor all units' operational parameters, remotely coordinate equipment analysis, run diagnostics, and predict maintenances.
- Due to technology's lowered noise and vibrations, the Azipod propulsion also improves passengers' comfort.
- On July 3, 2018, was signed a contract between VARD and GTT (French company specializing in marine LNG shipping) for constructing the ship's LNG tanks. The tanks are equipped with GTT’s "Mark III" membrane system (cryogenic liner directly supported by vessel's inner hull). The patented technology optimizes the payload in very restrained hull spaces. GTT was also responsible for selecting and coordinating subcontractors and installing the equipment. Ponant Icebreaker's fuel tanks have total LNG capacity 4500 m3, which makes it capable to run the entire cruise route using LNG.
Ponant Icebreaker ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
French small-ship operator Ponant ordered the first in cruise industry luxury electric-hybrid icebreaking vessel with combined diesel and LNG...December 19, 2017
- show more news