Cote des Dunes ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Cote des Dunes ferry
|Year built||2001 / Age : 18|
|Builder||Rauma Shipyard (Rauma, Finland)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Dover-Calais|
|Owner||EUROTUNNEL (The Channel Tunnel Group Ltd)|
|Speed||25 kn / 46 kph / 29 mph|
|Length (LOA)||186 m / 610 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||33796 gt|
|Sister-ships||Cote des Flandres|
|Former names||Seafrance Rodin, MS Rodin (MyFerryLink)|
Review of Cote des Dunes ferry
MS Cote des Dunes ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Denmark-based company DFDS SEAWAYS. The ship has a max capacity of 1500 passengers and 400 cars (or 120 trucks/trailers). The vessel was launched in 2001 and currently operates on the England-France ferry route Dover-Calais (English Channel crossing time 1,5 hours).
Shipboard facilities, dining, and entertainment
The vessel is not a "cruise ferry" as it has no passenger cabins, which means it can't provide overnight stays on board. As facilities, the Cote des Dunes ship offers:
- Restaurant 7 Seas offers a la carte-priced menu with a wide selection of starters, main courses, gourmet desserts, premium wines. Kids menu ("Happy Pirate") is also available.
- Horizon Snack Bar / Self-Service Restaurant offers hot dishes, cold appetizers, desserts, soft drinks.
- Lighthouse Cafe serves beverages, cocktails, coffee drinks, light snacks, gourmet sweets, fresh fruits and juices, premium ice-cream. It is fitted with large TVs (satellite reception) for watching live sporting and musical programs.
- Road Kings area (with showers, restaurant, quiet lounge) is exclusively dedicated for truck drivers.
- Premium Lounge is the spot for travelers looking for extra privacy where they can enjoy complimentary coffees, teas, cold drinks, snacks, newspapers.
- Pirates Island / Children's Play Room is an indoor playground for kids. The club lounge is specially designed and fitted with ball pool, large TV (for watching cartoons), kids art tables (for drawing).
- Tax Free Sea Shop is a duty-free priced boutique / convenience store selling special occasion gifts and souvenirs, alcohol (brand spirits, wines), tobaccos, luxury-brand perfumes and cosmetics, jewelry, watches, sunglasses, leather goods, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, toys, electronics and gadgets, gourmet sweets, handmade teas and spices. Special offers (shopping promotions) are offered on each ferry crossing. Payments can be made in cash or via bank cards (VISA, MasterCard, EuroCard). Among the premium brands represented onboard are Versace, Elizabeth Arden, Tommy Hilfiger, Moschino, Paco Rabanne, Carolina Herrera, Hugo Boss, Gucci, L'Oreal, DKNY, Givenchy, Dolce-Gabbana, Face Inc.
- Wi-Fi service, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception).
- Reserved Seating Lounge is fitted with comfortable Pullman seats (fully-reclining leather armchairs) and large TVs.
- Passengers with reduced mobility are served by 1 elevator (sized 1,3 m X 1,6 m, lift access to parking areas), wider entrance doors (width 0,9 m), 1 wheelchair-accessible public toilet).
- Ship's top-deck is a Heli Deck with a helipad (helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency).
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator DFDS Seaways (headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark) is a Danish shipping company that operates passenger and freight ferry services in Northern Europe. DFDS Seaways current fleet includes the ships Athena Seaways, Calais Seaways, Cote D'Albatre, Cote des Dunes, Cote des Flandres, Crown Seaways, Delft Seaways, Dover Seaways, Dunkerque Seaways, King Seaways, Liverpool Seaways, Optima Seaways, Patria Seaways, Pearl Seaways, Princess Seaways, Regina Seaways, Seven Sisters, Victoria Seaways.
Cote des Dunes ferry wiki
The vessel was launched on May 19, 2001, as "SeaFrance Rodin", with a maiden voyage on November 13. In the period 2001-2012, it was operated by SeaFrance (SNCF-owned / French state-owned company, operational between 1996-2012 January, now defunct).
On November 16, 2011, the ferry was laid up in Port Calais following SeaFrance company's liquidation. On August 20, 2012, it resumed service with MyFerryLink (English Channel shipping company operating the Dover-Calais route between August 2012 and July 2015, now defunct).
On June 8, 2015, DFDS Seaways announced they had chartered the ferry (along with the sistership) for a 2-year period, with an option to purchase. In July 2015, both ferries were commandeered by the striking MYFerryLink staff and vandalized. Their whole interiors were completely destroyed. Cote des Dunes entered service for DFDS in January 2016.
Both Cote des Dunes and Cote des Flandres entered 2-month long drydocks (at Damen Shipyard Dunkerque) for extensive refurbishment. Works included repainting, adding DFDS new livery, machinery repairs, and upgrades (thrusters, rudders), hull and engines steelworks, total rebuild of the interiors.
Ship's powerplant includes two main diesel engines (model Wartsila 2V46B, forward-located, total power output 23,4 MW) plus two smaller engines (model Wartsila 8L46B, aft-located, total power output 15,6 MW). The engines are combined with two gearboxes (Schelde, driven from the aft side), which drive two controllable pitch propellers (5-m in diameter). Stability is provided by two fin stabilizers (digitally-controlled, by ACH Engineering).
Two flap rudders (by Becker) are controlled by Porsgrunn steering gear. During harbor navigation, the rudders can be independently moved. Ship's propulsion system consists of one Lips thruster (aft-located, power output 1,8 MW) plus three 1,800 kW bow thrusters (combined power output 5,4 MW) and four Wartsila 8L20 engines driving ABB generators (electricity supply).