Dunkerque Seaways ferry current position
Dunkerque Seaways ferry current location is at North Sea (coordinates 51.02006 N / 2.18911 E) cruising en route to DOV-DUNK-DOV. The AIS position was reported 5 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Dunkerque Seaways ferry
|Year built||2005 / Age: 15|
|Flag state||United Kingdom|
|Builder||Samsung Heavy Industries (Geoje, South Korea)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Dover-Dunkerque (Dunkirk)|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||186 m / 610 ft|
|Beam (width)||28 m / 92 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||35923 gt|
|Sister-ships||Delft Seaways, Dover Seaways|
|Former names||Maersk Dunkerque (Norfolkline)|
Dunkerque Seaways ferry Review
Review of Dunkerque Seaways ferry
MS Dunkerque Seaways ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Denmark-based company DFDS SEAWAYS. The ship has a max capacity of 1000 passengers and 250 cars (or 120 trucks/trailers). The vessel was launched in 2005 and currently operates on the England-France ferry route Dover-Dunkerque (Dunkirk) (English Channel crossing time 2 hours).
Shipboard facilities, dining, and entertainment
Onboard Dunkerque Seaways, passengers will find a family-friendly restaurant which offers healthy food at affordable prices. Guests can alternatively go to ship's liquor-licensed bistro and dine in a comfortable seating area with premium, freshly cooked dishes. Fast food is offered at Food Express. Ship's salon is an elegant bar lounge for relaxation and watching the latest news and sporting competitions on the large TVs. The salon serves hot and cold drinks, wines and spirits by the glass, light snacks. The coffee house Costa Coffee is also in that area.
Dunkerque Seaways is not a "cruise ferry" as it has no passenger staterooms (only crew cabins), which means it can't provide overnight passenger stays on board. The ship has 7 elevators (passenger lifts) connecting garage decks (lower freight and car decks) up to the passenger decks. All staff and crew cabins are on a separate crew-only deck, that also houses offices, storage rooms, dayroom (dining), mess hall (crew bar lounge), laundry.
As facilities, the Dunkerque Seaways ship offers:
- A La Carte Restaurant 7 Seas offers a la carte-priced menu with a wide selection of starters, main courses, gourmet desserts, premium wines. Kids menu ("Happy Pirate") is also available.
- Horizon Restaurant / Food Express / Snack Bar / Self-Service Restaurant (Deck 6) offers hot dishes, cold appetizers, desserts, soft drinks.
- Lighthouse Cafe (Deck 7) serves beverages, cocktails, coffee, light snacks, sweets, fresh fruits, premium ice-cream. It is fitted with large HDTVs (satellite reception) for watching live sporting and musical programs.
- Road Kings area (Deck 7) consists of showers, restaurant and bar lounge exclusively dedicated to truck drivers.
- Premium Lounge (fka Sea View Lounge, Deck 7) is a reserved seating lounge providing complimentary coffees, teas, cold drinks, snacks, newspapers. The 24-hour open Premium Lounge is available for all ages. Seat prices start from GBP 12 pp (one way) and include complimentary beverages (wine by the glass), gourmet snacks and pastries. Premium Lounge's menu is a la carte and offers hot and cold beverages and hot food.
- La Veranda Restaurant (Deck 7) is an aft-located dining venue with panoramic windows and outdoor seating.
- Costa Coffee house is also available.
- Little Nippers / Children's Play Room (Deck 6) is an indoor playground for kids. The lounge is specially designed and fitted with ball pool, large TV (for watching cartoons), kids art tables (for drawing).
- Tax-Free Sea Shop (Deck 6) is a duty-free priced boutique / convenience store selling special occasion gifts and souvenirs, alcohol (brand spirits, wines), tobaccos, luxury-brand perfumes and cosmetics, jewellery, watches, sunglasses, leather goods, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, toys, electronics and gadgets, gourmet sweets, handmade teas and spices. Special offers (shopping promotions) are offered on each ferry crossing. Payments can be made in cash or via bank cards (VISA, MasterCard, EuroCard). Among the premium brands represented onboard are Versace, Elizabeth Arden, Tommy Hilfiger, Moschino, Paco Rabanne, Carolina Herrera, Hugo Boss, Gucci, L'Oreal, DKNY, Givenchy, Dolce-Gabbana, Face Inc.
- Wi-Fi service, Bureau de Change (purser, ATM) next to Information Desk / Reception (Deck 6).
- Reserved Seating Lounge (First Class Lounge) is fitted with comfortable Pullman seats (fully-reclining leather armchairs) and large TVs. Children under 8 are not allowed.
- Relax Lounge (added during drydock 2020) is fitted with luxury recliners (airplane-type chairs). Relax Lounge seat pricing depends on availability (starts from GBP 6 pp / one way) and is inclusive of RITUALS Karma (cosmetics gift set). Relax Lounge is kids-free as children under 16 yo are not permitted.
- Passengers with reduced mobility are served by 3 elevators (sized 1 m X 1,4 m, lift access to parking areas), wider entrance doors (width 0,9 m), 2 wheelchair-accessible public toilets (decks 6 and 7).
- Ship's top-deck is Heli Deck with a helipad (helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency).
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
The ship has 3 garage decks - lower (Deck 3, for wheeled freight), middle (Deck 4, for mixed vehicles) and upper (Deck 5, for passenger cars only). D-Class DFDS ships are designed with separate garage decks (for wheeled freight and cars), which greatly reduces roll-on and roll-off times.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner DFDS Seaways (headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark) is a Danish shipping company that operates passenger and freight ferry services in Northern Europe. DFDS Seaways current fleet includes the ships Athena Seaways, Calais Seaways, Cote D'Albatre, Cote des Dunes, Cote des Flandres, Cote D'Opale (EFlexer), Crown Seaways, Delft Seaways, Dover Seaways, Dunkerque Seaways, King Seaways, Liverpool Seaways, Optima Seaways, Patria Seaways, Pearl Seaways, Princess Seaways, Regina Seaways, Seven Sisters, Victoria Seaways.
Dunkerque Seaways ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Dunkerque Seaways ferryAdd Photo
Dunkerque Seaways ferry ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Cargo shipping services between the UK and mainland Europe received COVID-19/Coronavirus subsidy on Monday, May 18, with a UK government GBP 35...May 19, 2020
A group of migrants was rescued from a dinghy after the men were spotted by a cross-Channel ferry. The vessel, which was carrying 15 Iranians, was...October 28, 2019
- show more news
Other DFDS SEAWAYS cruise ships
Dunkerque Seaways ferry Wiki
In 2003, Norfolkline (a subsidiary of Maersk Shipping Denmark) placed a shipbuilding order with Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI, South Korean corporation) for 3 Ro-Pax ferries to replace older vessels on the cross-channel route Dunkerque-Dover. The first vessel (Maersk Dunkerque) was launched at SHI's Geoje Shipyard on December 29, 2004, and delivered to the shipowner (Norfolkline) on September 27, 2005. The maiden voyage was on November 9, 2005.
In July 2010, after the acquisition of Norfolkline by DFDS Seaways, the vessel was renamed "Dunkerque Seaways". The vessel is UK-flagged (MMSI 235028825).
Ship's powerplant includes four MAN marine diesel engines (model 8L48/60B) with combined power output 38,4 MW. Ship's propulsion consists of two controllable-pitch propellers, three bow thrusters (combined power 5,4 MW), one stern thruster (output 1,8 MW) and two rudders (Becker).
In February 2016, all the three D-Class DFDS ships (Dunkerque Seaways, Delft Seaways, Dover Seaways) entered drydock at Damen Shiprepair Dunkerque for a 3-week refit and general maintenance. Refurbishment works included repainting (hull and superstructure, also adding company's new livery), overhauled propulsion (thrusters, rudders), diesel engines, bow doors (upgraded hardware and software).
Dunkerque Seaways ship's 2020 drydock (February) was part of company's GBP 3 million (EUR 3,3 M / USD 3,6 M) refurbishment project involving 3 DFDS ships (Dunkerque, Dover, Delft). The refurb resulted in adding the Relax Lounge fitted with luxury reclining (airplane-type) chairs. Relax Lounge seats come at an extra price (pricing depends on availability) starting from GBP 6 pp (one way). Relax Lounge seat prices are inclusive of RITUALS Karma (cosmetics gift set). Relax Lounge is kids-free as children under 16 yo are not permitted. During drydock 2020 refurbishment was fully renovated Premium Lounge (new lounge furniture, modern decor). The 24-hour open Premium Lounge is available for all ages. Seat prices start from GBP 12 pp (one way) and include complimentary beverages (wine by the glass), gourmet snacks and pastries. Premium Lounge's menu is a la carte and offers hot and cold beverages and hot food. Horizon Restaurant was also renovated. All the ship's public restrooms were renovated. Lighthouse Cafe received new HDTVs.
Dunkerque Seaways ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review