Calais Seaways ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Calais Seaways ferry
|Year built||1992 / Age : 27|
|Flag state||United Kingdom|
|Builder||Boelwerf Themse (Belgium)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Dover-Calais|
|Building cost||EUR 80 million|
|Owner||Louis Dreyfus Ferreys|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||163 m / 535 ft|
|Beam (width)||27 m / 89 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||28838 gt|
|Decks with cabins||2|
|Former names||Norman Spirit, Ostend Spirit, Norman Spirit, Pride of Aquitaine, PO Aquitaine, POSL Aquitaine, Stena Royal, Prins Filip|
Current position of Calais Seaways ferry
Review of Calais Seaways ferry
MS Calais Seaways ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel operated by the Denmark-based company DFDS SEAWAYS. The ship has a max capacity of 2000 passengers and 600 cars (or 105 trucks/trailers). The vessel was launched in 1992 and currently operates on the England-France ferry route Dover-Calais (English Channel crossing time 1,5 hours).
The vessel is not a "cruise ferry" as it has no passenger cabins, which means it can't provide overnight stays on board. Originally, the ship had a total of 59 passenger cabins (8x single, 42x double, 9x quad) all located on Deck 8. On Deck 7 were later installed 20x couchettes (sleeper cabins with shared toilets and bathrooms) plus 1x disabled (double) cabin.
Shipboard facilities, dining, and entertainment
As facilities, the Calais Seaways ship offers:
- (deck 7) Self Service Restaurant 7 Seas offers a la carte-priced menu with a wide selection of starters, main courses, gourmet desserts, premium wines. Kids menu ("Happy Pirate") is also available.
- Horizon Snack Bar / Self-Service Restaurant offers hot dishes, cold appetizers, desserts, soft drinks.
- (deck 7) Lighthouse Cafe serves beverages, cocktails, coffee drinks, light snacks, gourmet sweets, fresh fruits and juices, premium ice-cream. It is fitted with large TVs (satellite reception) for watching live sporting and musical programs.
- (deck 7) Horizon Lounge has a full-service bar and also sells light snacks.
- (deck 7) Road Kings area (with showers, Pitstop Restaurant, quiet lounge) is exclusively dedicated for truck drivers.
- (deck 9) Premium Lounge is a bar lounge offering extra privacy and complimentary coffees, teas, cold drinks, snacks, newspapers.
- (deck 7) Pirates Island / Children's Play Room is an indoor playground for kids. The club lounge is specially designed and fitted with ball pool, large TV (for watching cartoons), kids art tables (for drawing).
- (deck 7) Tax Free Sea Shop is a duty-free priced boutique / convenience store selling special occasion gifts and souvenirs, alcohol (brand spirits, wines), tobaccos, luxury-brand perfumes and cosmetics, jewelry, watches, sunglasses, leather goods, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, toys, electronics and gadgets, gourmet sweets, handmade teas and spices. Special offers (shopping promotions) are offered on each ferry crossing. Payments can be made in cash or via bank cards (VISA, MasterCard, EuroCard). Among the premium brands represented onboard are Versace, Elizabeth Arden, Tommy Hilfiger, Moschino, Paco Rabanne, Carolina Herrera, Hugo Boss, Gucci, L'Oreal, DKNY, Givenchy, Dolce-Gabbana, Face Inc.
- Wi-Fi service, ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception on deck 7).
- (deck 8) Reserved Seating Lounge is fitted with comfortable Pullman seats (fully-reclining leather armchairs) and large TVs.
- Passengers with reduced mobility are served by 1 elevator (sized 1,9 m X 2,2 m, lift access to parking areas), wider entrance doors (width 1,2 m), 1 wheelchair-accessible public toilet, bathroom with shower, washbasin, handrails, WC.
- Ship's top-deck is a Heli Deck with a helipad (helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency).
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator DFDS Seaways (headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark) is a Danish shipping company that operates passenger and freight ferry services in Northern Europe. DFDS Seaways current fleet includes the ships Athena Seaways, Calais Seaways, Cote D'Albatre, Cote des Dunes, Cote des Flandres, Crown Seaways, Delft Seaways, Dover Seaways, Dunkerque Seaways, King Seaways, Liverpool Seaways, Optima Seaways, Patria Seaways, Pearl Seaways, Princess Seaways, Regina Seaways, Seven Sisters, Victoria Seaways.
Calais Seaways ferry wiki
The vessel was launched in 1991 as "Prins Filip" for the Belgian ferry company Regie voor Maritiem Transport (1846-1997 defunct). In 1992-1997, it was deployed on the UK-Belgium route Ostend-Dover.
Ship's powerplant consists of four SULZER marine diesel engines (model 8ZAS40) with total power output 21,1 MW. The ship was previously operated under the names Prins Filip (1991-1998), Stena Royal (1998-1999), POSL Aquitaine (1999-2003), Pride of Aquitaine (2003-2005), Norman Spirit (2005-2010), Ostend Spirit (2010-2011), Norman Spirit (2011-2013) and Calais Seaways (since 2013). Shipowners were Stena RoRo (1998-2005), LD Lines (2006-2013) and DFDS Seaways (since 2013).
In October 2005 Norman Spirit was deployed on the Portsmouth-Le Havre route. In November 2009 started the Dover-Boulogne-sur-Mer service. In March 2010, Ostende Spirit was chartered by TransEuropa Ferries for the Ostend-Ramsgate service. In November 2011 was announced that DFDS Seaways charters the ship for the Dover-Dunkirk service.
On February 17, 2012, the LD Lines-chartered Norman Spirit was christened by Kelly Brook (UK model, actress, TV presenter). The ferry was deployed on the Dover-Calais route with regularly scheduled 5 daily crossings.
After the merger of LD Lines with DFDS in February 2013, and following a 15-day drydock in Gdansk Poland, Norman Spirit returned to homeport Calais on March 17, 2013. The ship was renamed "Calais Seaways" and repainted with company's new colors.
Currently, the ship cruises the Dover-Calais route (Europe's busiest sea route) with up to 10 daily crossings.
In 2017, DFDS drydock refurbished (extensive interior refurbishments) and also retrofitted Calais Seaways with integrated ABB automation systems and marine software, thus optimizing vessel's fuel efficiency and safety.
- ABB Ability System allows real-time monitoring of the vessel’s power and propulsion systems and displays the information on a single screen.
- ABB’s power management (combined power and control) system ensures the availability of electrical power to the power plant's all essential loads. It automatically implements power sharing for all diesel generators, thus preventing power loss accidents.
- ABB Marine Advisory System OCTOPUS allows the shipowner to collate electricity usage to meet IMO regulations on CO2 emissions. The system measures fuel consumption and torque. The system also allows the shipowner to maintain records of the vessel's fuel consumption and report CO2 emissions.
Calais Seaways ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Calais Seaways ferryAdd Photo
Calais Seaways ferry ship related cruise news
Dozens of migrants who were hoping to reach Britain have scrambled aboard a cross-Channel cruiseferry in northern France, sparking a 12-hour manhunt...March 3, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Passenger and freight ferry operator DFDS Seaways chartered a new ferry boat for the English Channel, that will be built by the Chinese Avic Weihai...April 27, 2018
- show more news
Other DFDS SEAWAYS cruise ships
Calais Seaways ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review