Grand Classica Review and Specifications
Specifications of Grand Classica
|Year built||1991 / Age : 28|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Ferry route / homeports||West Palm Beach (Florida USA)|
|Building cost||USD 335 million|
|Owner||Paradise Cruise Line Operator Ltd|
|Operator||Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||220 m / 722 ft|
|Beam (width)||30 m / 98 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||52926 gt|
|Passengers||1308 - 1570|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Former names||Costa neoClassica, Costa Classica|
|Christened by||Emilia Costa|
Current position of Grand Classica
Review of Grand Classica
Grand Classica cruise ship was launched in 1991 as “Costa Classica”. Between 2014-2018, the liner was operated under the name "Costa neoClassica". In April 2018, neoClassica was renamed to "Grand Classica" and joined the fleet of the Florida-based company "Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line" - a company run by NCL's former President Kevin Sheehan. The company's fleet currently consists of two ships - Classica and MS Grand Celebration.
History - construction and ownership
In 2018, Grand Classica joined MS Grand Celebration as a 2nd ship in the fleet of the Florida-based company Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line. The company is run by NCL's former President Kevin Sheehan. In 2017, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line signed with The Bahamas a 3-year deal (until 2020) to bring both vessels (Celebration and Classica) to Grand Bahama Island with 2-night itineraries. With both ships, the company now has an annual passenger shipping capacity of over 0,5 million.
On August 2, 2017, Costa Cruises announced that neoClassica leaves the fleet in March 2018. The ship's last Costa cruise itinerary was scheduled for March 4, 2018 (7-day "India and Maldives" from Mumbai India to Male Maldives). Last refurbished in 2014, neoClassica was Costa's oldest vessel. The decision was made following the 4 new ships order, with the liners scheduled for deliveries between 2019-2022. Each of the new Costa ships is 183,000 tons, with over 2600 cabins and passenger capacity 6600.
The 52,926-ton, 1680-passenger cruise ship Grand Classica was inaugurated in 1991. In 1999 was proposed a project to stretch the ship, but it was abandoned in favor of later refit in 2000 (budgeted USD 20 million). The ship features an impressive onboard art collection of sculptures and original paintings, murals and crafts.
Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line announced the vessel's purchase from Carnival Corporation (parent company of Costa Cruises) on December 13, 2017. The ship's last drydock refurbishment was in October 2017. It also included improvements required by the new shipowner Paradise Cruise Line Operator Ltd.
Fun fact is that, besides the ship's staff and crew, Costa cruise passengers are also served by Peper robots - the latest cyborg technology implemented fleetwide in 2016. These humanoid robots greet and guide passengers upon embarkation. They also assist them throughout the cruise by providing information and tips on onboard dining, entertainment, enrichment program (workshops, pre-scheduled events), casino and shopping promotions, shore excursions and tours. Pepper robots are mobile and communicate in 3 languages (English, German, Italian). They can also interpret human emotions by analyzing voice tones and facial expressions.
Cruise itinerary program
Grand Classica itinerary program offers exclusively Bahamas cruises leaving from Florida. At the end of August 2017, Port Palm Beach District Commission signed a 10-year agreement for the former Costa neoClassica to service the Florida-Bahamas route West Palm Beach-Freeport. The ship has a regularly scheduled itinerary program of 3-day / 2-night Bahamas cruises to Freeport and back to Palm Beach FL.
departing August 17, 2019, from Port Palm Beach, the cruise ship offered Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line's first-ever Panama Canal transition cruise. The 9-night itinerary included as call ports Key West FL, Grand Cayman Island and Panama Canal (transit), ending in Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas, Costa Rica). Liner's South American charter season was scheduled to end in October. Repositioning cruise's prices started from USD 500 per person (double occupancy inside cabin). Early-booking discount deals (bookings made before May 31, 2019) offered 3rd and 4th passengers in the stateroom pricing of USD 300 pp.
Grand Classica has 10 passenger decks and 658 staterooms. All public spaces are located on Decks 8-14. Each deck is named after an island of Bahamas. Accommodations include 430 ocean-view cabins, 216 inside cabins, 10 suites, and 2 junior suites. Only the suites boast balconies.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Grand Classica offers has all 8 dining venues (restaurants and food bars):
- Yellow Elder is the complimentary main dining room with 2 fixed seating times plus "My Time Dining" option).
- Ocean View Buffet offers complimentary breakfast, lunch, dinner, late-night snacks.
- Admiral’s Steak & Seafood is a dinner restaurant offering 5-course gourmet meals.
- Rock Grill offers gourmet burgers and meats cooked on lava rock grill.
- Crow’s Nest Bar & Grill is the ship's Sports Bar / Pub serving pub fare, beers, cocktails.
- A Slice Above is an Italian pizzeria offering traditional and build-your-own gourmet pizzas by the slice.
- Grand Cafe is a cafeteria/patisserie for specialty coffee drinks, gourmet ice-cream (gelato) and desserts.
- The cruise company also provides Room Service (at extra charge).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Grand Classica has a lounge, a casino, live entertainment in the theater and ship's regal room, spa, fitness & salon and 2 pools. Other amenities include a conference center seating 80, kids' club for ages 3-17, retail shops, a card room, and internet lounge.
Follows the complete list of Grand Classica lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Legends Grand Theater( 2-level theater offering comedy, song & dance shows)
- Para-A-Dice Casino (offers a range of table games and slot machines - 101 of the most famous slot games, along with 10 table games, such as blackjack, craps, roulette, three card poker, ultimate Texas hold ‘em poker are offered)
- Encore Lounge (features live music and a drink, along with a central stairway leading to The Grand Cafe and A Slice Above)
- Regal Room (a lounge with a large bar and stage for live entertainment)
- Main Pool (a large pool which is surrounded by lounge chairs and the adjacent Plunge Bar for beverages and specialty cocktails)
- The Oasis (adults-only area featuring an aft pool, 2 whirlpools, and its own bar)
- Jogging Track (one deck above the ship's main pool)
- Indulgence Spa, Fitness Center & Salon (massages, facials, and skin treatments are offered in the spa & salon, while the ocean-view fitness room has a wide range of free weights and fitness equipment)
- Kruzers Kid's Club (offers free activities for kids aged 3-17)
- Internet Lounge & Card Room
- 80-person conference room
- Retail Outlets
- Photo Gallery.
Grand Classica - user reviews and comments
Photos of Grand ClassicaAdd Photo
Grand Classica ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The mass-market cruise company Costa Cruises by May 2021 will sell 5 of fleet's oldest ships, including two Europe-based vessels and 2 Costa Asia...October 7, 2019
- Cruise Industry
An Oceania Cruises liner docked in North Vancouver BC Canada is undergoing a massive refurbishment that is due to over 2 weeks. The 680-passenger...September 12, 2019
- Cruise Industry
A cruise ship that was sailing towards Havana on Friday, February 15, was denied entry to Cuba. Currently, travelers are upset while travel...February 17, 2019
A 29-year-old man has died after falling aboard a Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line’s ship sailing from Florida to Bahamas. According to U.S...October 23, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line introduced 4 and 6-night Cruise & Stay packages. As cruise industry's first, the line offers the opportunity for...September 21, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line revealed new partnership with Fit Bodies, Inc. providing passengers 16 and older with free exercise classes from...September 8, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line (BPCL) will be hosting PalmCon, the original Comic-Con of Palm Beach County, aboard Grand Classica, between October 12...August 5, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line (BPCL) offers a variety of special promotions and events this summer geared to cruisers of all ages. Via the...June 20, 2018
- Cruise Industry
On April 13, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line officially welcomed a 2nd cruise ship to operation at Port of Palm Beach, Riviera Beach. The addition of...April 15, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The 1,680-passenger cruise ship Grand Classica will join her sister ship Grand Celebration at Port of Palm Beach on April 13, 2018 when she...February 21, 2018
- show more news
Other Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line cruise ships
Grand Classica Wiki
MS Grand Classica has 10 passenger-accessible decks (out of 13). All main public areas are on decks 8 through 14. Following the ship's acquisition, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line renamed all decks after Bahamian islands. Before that, all decks were named after famous Italian Riviera cities.
Grand Classica joined Bahamas Paradise fleet on April 13 (Friday) 2018, when the liner docked at Port Palm Beach. The vessel's refurbishment in 2017 resulted in improved systems and onboard infrastructure.
During cruise October 12-14 (2018), the liner hosted PalmCon - Palm Beach's 8th annual Comic-Con convention. The annual event is themed after superheroes, anime and sci-fi movies, games (video, role-playing, fantasy cards). The themed cruise was the first Comic-Con at sea and had numerous pre-planned onboard activities (celebrity guests, workshops, original art, comics, toys, contests, live entertainment).
On January 21, 2019, Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line announced a partnership with Viva Travel resulting in a cruise to Cuba roundtrip from Palm Beach Florida. The 4-night Cuban itinerary on Grand Classica was scheduled to depart on February 14, with booked berthing in Havana (Feb 15, 10-hour port stay), sea day (Feb 16), back to Havana (Feb 17, 8-hour port stay) and back to Palm Beach (Feb 18). The special voyage featured Cuban cuisine and entertainment, and open-deck concerts (on Feb 16) with live performances by Los Cuatro, Laritza Bacallao and La Pantoja.
Costa neoClassica ship
- Total number of cabins: 654 (of which 10 Suite, no Balcony, 210 Inside rooms) in 5 grades
- Dining Rooms: Tivoli
- Restaurants and food bars: La Trattoria (buffet), La Tavernetta (pizzeria).
- Lounges & Bars: Colosseo (theater), Galileo (nightclub), Colosseo (lobby), Piazza Navona, Dolce Amore (patisserie), Puccini (ballroom), Squok Club (kids), poolside (Positano, Tiveri pizza).
- Amenities: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service & Babysitting, Supervised Children Program, Internet, Laundry, Onboard Weddings.
- San Remo (casino), Promenade (Deck 8), Caracalla Spa, 4 jacuzzis, 2 pools (Fountain, Capri), Jogging Track, Mondo Virtuale (arcade).
- Costa neoClassica was Costa's first Classica-class liner, with sistership Costa neoRomantica. The boat was also in one group with Costa neoRiviera (now AIDAmira) as one of company's three "neoCollection" ships.
- In 2000, Costa Crociere made an extensive renovation of the Classica liner. During the drydock, the sound problems in the dining room were also solved, new leather chairs and wood paneling were added. Lobby's interior was changed by removing the old nude figures.
- After a major refurbishment in 2014, the liner was renamed from "Costa Classica" to "Costa neoClassica". Among its most popular amenities are 2 swimming pools and 4 big hot-tubs, 9 bars, 2 large restaurants.
Most Costa neoClassica staterooms were 175 f2 Oceanview rooms (428). There were a total of 654 staterooms in 5 main categories, The ship had 6 wheelchair-accessible cabins. The largest staterooms were the Balcony Suites (505 ft2).
The Tivoli Dining Room offered basic continental cuisine. The Trattoria was ship's self-service buffet. Casual dining was offered at the Alfresco Cafe. International cuisine and Italian specialties were often presented at all onboard restaurants. Follows the complete list of Costa neoClassica restaurants and food bars.
- Ristorante Tivoli (aft Dining Room, complimentary; serves open seating breakfast and lunch, 2 fixed dinner seatings - at 6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.)
- La Tavernetta Pizzeria (Italian pizzeria restaurant & bar)
- Ristorante Buffet La Trattoria (self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary; offers breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea at 4-5:00 p.m., and dinner)
- Piazza Tiveri (complimentary pizza by the slice, poolside).
The 2-deck high Colosseo Show Lounge (ship's amphitheater) provided cabaret shows, dancers and specialty acts. The ship had a large range of bars and lounges, including the 360-degree Galileo Disco and Puccini Ballroom. After the 2014 refit, Costa neoClassica offered the Stargazer experience, which is an original activity on all Costa neoCollection ships. It gives cruisers the use of high-quality telescopes on board, being assisted by experts. On Deck 11 there are 2 swimming pools and 2 large jacuzzis (by the aft pool), plus 2 more jacuzzis at the Spa & Fitness Center. The Fitness is fitted with top-line Technogym equipment. The Spa complex has an authentic Roman bath and offered a full range of Steiner-managed spa treatments.
Follows the complete list of Costa neoClassica lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Teatro Colosseo (2-level theatre and main show lounge; hosts grand scale show productions, musicals, classical concerts, ballet performances, circus shows)
- Bar Colosseo (foyer bar with a seating area; serves Ferrari sparkling wines)
- Piazza Navona Grand Bar (lounge & bar area with stage and dance floor; offers various entertainment programs, dancing lessons, daily trivia games)
- Il Dolce Amore Pasticeria (coffee bar & patisserie selling specialty coffee and tea, pastries, shakes; doubles as Pizzeria in the evenings)
- Sala Carte (cards room)
- Casino San Remo (served by the San Remo bar)
- Sala da Ballo Puccini (grand lounge & bar “Ballroom Puccini”; with dance floor, stage, ample seating)
- Biblioteca & Internet Point (Library & Internet computers room)
- Ponte Vecchio; Negozi Shops; Boutique Shops (duty & tax-free shops for brand watches, jewelry, perfumes, fashion clothes, Costa-logo merchandise, sportswear, gifts, tobacco, and liquor)
- Galleria Foto (Photo Gallery & Shop)
- Mondo Virtuale (Video Games Arcade)
- Cappella (Wedding Chapel, also used for religious services)
- Alfresco Cafe (outdoor canopied seating area with live trees)
- Squok Club (kids lounge with Mini Club (3-6 yo) and Maxi Club (7-11 yo) playing rooms; with complimentary kids programme and supervised activities; complimentary babysitting)
- Caracalla Spa & Fitness (neoClassica Wellness Centre with Beauty Salon, Gymnasium, Aerobics Room, Turkish Bath, Massages-Treatment Rooms, Spa products shop, Caracalla Cafe /juice bar)
- Fountain Pool area (pool with cascading water)
- Capri Pool area (with two Whirlpools)
- Bar Positano (serves the pool areas)
- Galileo Disco (Nightclub & Observatory located at the top of Costa neoClassica)
- Pista da Jogging (Power Walking/Jogging Track).
Costa neoClassica India cruises 2016-2017
Costa Cruises deployed the neoClassica ship in India, offering regular departures from Mumbai.
- Costa's new India cruise itinerary program (winter 2016-2017 season) offered 7-day (one-way Mumbai to Male, and the reverse Male to Mumbai) and 14-day (roundtrip Mumbai) itineraries to ports in the Maldives (Male), Sri Lanka (Colombo) and India (Cochin, Mangalore, Mormugao-Goa).
- Itineraries were bookable through the company's Italian website (costacrociere.it).
- The neoClassica ship had previously scheduled 7-day roundtrip itineraries leaving from Dubai UAE.
Grand Classica User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review