Oriana Review and Specifications
Specifications of Oriana
|Year built||1995 / Age : 24|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 320 million|
|Owner||China Travel Services International (CTS)|
|Operator||Well Star Travel Cruise Line (China)|
|Speed||26 kn / 48 kph / 30 mph|
|Length (LOA)||260 m / 853 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||69840 gt|
|Passengers||1882 - 1882|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Christened by||HM Queen Elizabeth II (P&O UK)|
Current itinerary of Oriana
Oriana current cruise is 16 days, round-trip Canary Islands and Madeira. The itinerary starts on 22 Mar, 2019 and ends on 07 Apr, 2019.
|Date / Time||Port|
|22 Mar||Departing from Southampton, England|
|24 Mar||La Coruna, Spain|
|27 Mar - 28 Mar||Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal|
|29 Mar||Santa Cruz de la Palma, Canary Islands|
|30 Mar||Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands|
|31 Mar||La Gomera, Canary Islands|
|01 Apr||Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands|
|03 Apr||Cadiz, Spain|
|07 Apr||Arriving in Southampton, England|
Review of Oriana
NEWS: MS Oriana leaves P&O fleet in August 2019. The ship was sold to the Chinese company Well Star Travel Cruise (joint venture of CTS-China Travel Services International and COSCO Shipping Group). The Chinese cruise line plans short-breaks from homeports in China to ports in Japan and Southeast Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Philippines, Indonesia). The liner will be renamed "Piano Land" and homeported in Xiamen.
History - construction and ownership
P&O Cruises is a subsidiary company and two brands owned by Carnival Corporation - P&O UK and P&O Australia. In 2000, P&O Cruises became subsidiary of P&O Princess Cruises, which in 2003 merged with Carnival Corporation. PandO is the world's oldest cruise company, starting passenger shipping operations in 1822 on the routes connecting England with Iberia.
The 69,840-ton, 1,882-passenger cruise ship Oriana is the oldest but the fastest cruise ship in the P&O fleet. At the time of her debut, PO Oriana was among the biggest cruise vessels in the world and the biggest ever built in Germany. MV Oriana was christened by HM The Queen of the UK and Commonwealth on April 6, 1995. The ship underwent a couple of major dry docks. The first one, in December 2006, was for GBP 12 million. P&O Oriana was re-registered from Britain to Bermuda to allow onboard weddings. The second drydock was in late 2011 when the vessel received 27 new staterooms and two new venues for dining. P&O Cruises' Oriana cruise ship will undergo a 3-week refurbishment at Blohm and Voss shipyard (Hamburg) at the end of November 2016. The line revealed details of ship’s refit, including a makeover of restaurants, bars, cabins, public spaces and entertainment areas to create a new "elegant and sophisticated look".
Cruise itinerary program
MS Oriana itinerary program was based on cruises from Southampton, including Caribbean Islands voyages, annual “World Cruise” (roundtrip from UK), roudtrips from Southampton to Canary Islands, British Isles, Norway Fjords, Iceland, Baltic, Mediterranean, also Transatlantic repositioning crossings. Next is listed ship's last PandO cruise, before the transfer to the new Chinese owner.
18-day "Norway and North Cape"
|Date / Time||Port|
|22 Jul||Departing from Southampton, England|
|25 Jul||Torshavn, Streymoy, Faroe Islands|
|27 Jul||Leknes-Gravdal, Vestvagoy Island, Lofoten Norway|
|29 Jul||Honningsvag, Mageroya Island, Norway|
|31 Jul||Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, Arctic Norway|
|03 Aug||Tromso, Norway|
|05 Aug||Alesund, Norway|
|07 Aug||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|09 Aug||Arriving in Southampton, England|
The Chinese cruise liner Piano Land is homeported in Xiamen (China), starting operations in mid-October 2019.
Oriana has a total of 941 cabins (of which 24 Suite, 106 Balcony, 331 Inside rooms) in 20 grades. Most Oriana staterooms are 150-sq.foot Oceanview rooms (480). The largest aboard Oriana are the Suites (415 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Oriana emerged from a month-long dry dock in late 2011, during which a pair of new dining venues were added. The first new restaurant, Marco Pierre White's Ocean Grill, provides cuisine described as new British; menu options include choices like Thai fishcakes, cheese souffle, grilled lobster and wild boar burgers. The 2nd, Sorrento, is an Italian restaurant which is offering pizza, pasta and seafood. Versions of both dining venues are found on Adonia (now Azamara Pursuit) and Arcadia (kids-free vessel). Cover charges fluctuate by the length of the cruise. For the Ocean Grill, it's 12.95 pounds per person on an route of 8 or more days, 17.95 pounds for 3 to 7 days and 22.95 pounds for 1 to 2 days. Supplements do apply for some items, but in actually, pretty well everything on the menu is engaged. Sorrento costs 5 pounds (route of 8 or more days), 7.50 pounds (route of 3 to 7 days) or 10 pounds (routes of 1 to 2 days) and also has supplements for some items.
Follows the complete list of Oriana restaurants and food bars.
- Peninsular Restaurant (498-seat forward Dining Room; club dining venue with large windows; offers Breakfast 8:00 - 9:30 a.m., Lunch 12:00 - 1:30 p.m., Afternoon Tea 4:00 - 4:45 p.m., two fixed seatings for Dinner at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m.)
- Oriental Restaurant (500-seat aft Dining Room; club dining venue, with large windows, dinners only, with two fixed seatings at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. The menu is the same as at the Peninsular’s)
- Ocean Grill Restaurant and Bar (specialty dining by celebrity chef Marco Pierre-White; dinner only 6:00 - 10:00 p.m., reservation-only; also serving Suite guests Breakfast)
- Tiffany Court (complimentary restaurant; serves lite Breakfast and Lunch)
- Tiffany’s Lounge and Bar (patisserie with specialty coffee bar by “Costa Coffee”; serves light snacks for breakfast and lunch)
- Sorrento Restaurant and Bar (Italian; specialty dining; Sorrento Bar)
- The Conservatory Restaurant and Bar (buffet-style; provides indoor/outdoor seating; open for Breakfast 6:30 - 7:00 a.m., Lunch 12:00 - 3 p.m., Afternoon Tea and snacks 3:00 - 5:00 p.m., and Dinner 6:30 - 9 p.m.; features themed buffets and self service, complimentary Pizzeria; Conservatory Bar)
- Al Fresco Pizzeria (complimentary indoor/outdoor restaurant).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Evening entertainment starts at 6 p.m. with options like pianists tickling the ivories in the Crow's Nest and Tiffany Lounge and more lively music in Lord's Tavern sports pub. The Crow's Nest is the perfect spot to watch passing scenery at sunset over a reasonably priced cocktail of the day (around £3.75). The nightly shows in ship's Theatre Royal, at 8.30 p.m. and 10.30 p.m., are excellent and well supported. The resident Headliners Theatre Company stages a variety of well-choreographed performances. Oriana's Pacific Lounge is more intimate, and generally hosts solo singers. The Harlequins venue alternates between ballroom dancing and disco music. The casino with gaming tables and slot machines opens at 7 p.m. Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Internet/WiFi access, laundry/self-serve laundromats.
Follows the complete list of Oriana lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Oriana Atrium (4-decks central open floor area and social hub)
- Knightsbridge (duty-free boutique shop);
- Emporium (general store for candies, chocolate, sweets, books, etc.);
- Florist Desk (special occasions flower shop);
- “Duty Free” shop (alcohol, cigarettes, tobaccos)
- Anderson’s Bar (named after the P&O’s founder); Lord’s Tavern (sports bar)
- Harlequins Disco and Nightclub; Pacific Lounge and Dance Club
- Theatre Royal (650-seat, featuring large scale shows by “Headliners Theatre Company”)
- Chaplin’s Cinema; Wedding Venue (vow renewals; weddings)
- Monte Carlo Casino; Art Gallery; Photo Gallery and Shop; The Library (with Internet computers); Cyb@Study Online Centre; Medina Room (chapel); Thackeray Room; Crichton’s Card Room
- Terrace Pool; Crystal Pool; Riviera Pool; 4 jacuzzis
- Oasis Spa complex (Treatment Rooms, Steam Rooms, Sauna, Beauty Salon)
- Gymnasium (complimentary equipment, Fitness classes; Yoga and Pilates at surcharge)
- The Crow’s Nest Lounge (dance floor, stage for live music; with floor-ceiling windows for panoramic views; hosts art classes, quiz games, cooking demos during the day)
- Jogging Track; Traditional deck games area (Deck Chess, Deck Quoits, Shufflleboard); Sports Court (football, basketball, volleyball, tennis, cricket); Table Tennis; four Golf Net cages.
- ms Oriana cruise ship was P&O's first new built vessel designed specifically for the UK cruising market. Currently, the ship is the P&O UK fleet's oldest. The vessel is named after "SS Oriana" (launched in 1959). SS Oriana was operated between 1960 and 1986 by the "P&O Cruises" predecessors - "P&O Orient Lines", and later by "P&O Line".
- One of the most special events in the ship's history was the christening ceremony on April 6, 1995 featuring HM The Queen of the UK as the vessel's godmother. The list of other P and O cruise ships named by British Royals includes Britannia (March 10, 2015, by HM The Queen), Aurora (April 27, 2000, by HRH The Princess Royal) and the ships Oceana and Adonia (now Azamara Pursuit) - both were named on May 21, 2003, by HRH The Princess Royal and her daughter Zara Phillips.
- P and O Oriana ship proudly holds the "Golden Cockerel" trophy (since 1997) for being PandO's fastest cruise ship. The trophy was previously held by SS Oriana then passed to SS Canberra (until 1997) when was handed over to Oriana. Both liners were anchored near Cannes France and each sent a tender boat out for the handover ceremony.
- In 2006, the ship's registry was changed - from UK (London) to Bermuda (Hamilton), as the Bermuda flagstate allows onboard weddings.
- Oriana cruise ship is one of the P&O's adults-only vessels, the list of which also includes Adonia (Azamara Pursuit) and Arcadia.
Oriana - user reviews and comments
Photos of OrianaAdd Photo
Oriana ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The oldest ship of P&O Cruises, mv Oriana, is to leave fleet in August 2019. The 1,880-guest vessel joined the UK cruise company in 1995 and has...June 30, 2018
P&O Cruises has cancelled a 50-night voyage due to “technical maintenance” required for line's Oriana ship. The 1,880-passenger...November 23, 2017
- show more news
Other P&O Cruises cruise ships
The below listed Oriana cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest P&O Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2019 Feb 22||28 days, round-trip Caribbean and Azores||Southampton|
|2019 Mar 22||16 days, round-trip Canary Islands and Madeira||Southampton|
|2019 Apr 07||18 days, round-trip Spain, Italy and Corsica||Southampton|
|2019 Apr 25||16 days, round-trip Canary Islands and Portugal||Southampton|
|2019 May 11||19 days, round-trip Italy and Croatia||Southampton|
|2019 May 30||16 days, round-trip Azores, Canary Islands and Portugal||Southampton|
|2019 Jun 15||13 days, round-trip Scotland, Ireland and Guernsey||Southampton|
|2019 Jun 28||7 days, round-trip France, Spain and Guernsey||Southampton|
|2019 Jul 05||14 days, round-trip Ireland, Iceland and Faroe Islands||Southampton|
|2019 Jul 19||3 days, round-trip Guernsey||Southampton|
|2019 Jul 22||18 days, round-trip Norway and North Cape||Southampton|