SS Sao Gabriel Review and Specifications
Specifications of SS Sao Gabriel
|Year built||2020 new ship|
|Builder||Shipyard De Hoop BV (Lobith, Holland)|
|Class||Douro river cruiser|
|Owner||The Travel Corporation (TTC)|
|Operator||Uniworld River Cruises Portugal|
|Passengers||50 - 100|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of SS Sao Gabriel
Uniworld Sao Gabriel ship cruises on Douro River in Portugal, departing from homeports Lisbon and Oporto. The shipowner Uniworld (officially "Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection") is a major river cruise company and subsidiary of The Travel Corporation (TTC).
Sao Gabriel boat's inaugural cruise (maiden voyage) is scheduled for March 26, 2020. The newbuild is one of the most luxurious ships cruising on Douro River. Food and wine will be major themes on the cruiser. As for itinerary highlights, passengers can expect the best of Portugal's traditional cuisine and premium wines from the scenic vineyards in Douro Valley (country's wine-growing region).
UNIWORLD Portugal cruise itineraries
The inaugural cruise is scheduled for March 26, 2020. The ship operates a 13-day cruise tour itinerary inclusive of 7-day cruising (Oporto to Vega de Terron), with ports of call (sequence on the eastbound route) Entre-os-Rios (Amarante), Regua (Lamego), Pinhao, Pocinho (Barca d’Alva / Castelo Rodrigo) and Vega de Terron (debarkation). This UNIWORLD river cruise tour is inclusive of Lisbon hotel (pre-cruise package), bus transfers (Lisbon-Oporto, Vega de Terron-Salamanca, Salamanca-Madrid) and Madrid hotel (post-cruise package).
Next is listed riverboat's day-2-day schedule as officially announced by UNIWORLD:
- DAY 1: Arrival at Lisbon Portela Airport, optional group transfer or private transfer, Uniworld representative meet-and-greet, transfer to the hotel.
- DAY 2: Lisbon city tour (also visiting Jeronimos Monastery)
- DAY 3: Lisbon, morning bus transfer (via Obidos) to Oporto (cruise ship embarkation)
- DAY 4: Oporto - choice of a city tour or “Do as the Locals Do” walking tour (with food and wine tastings and vintage tram ride)
- DAY 5: Oporto (shopping tour) or excursion to Guimaraes
- DAY 6: Entre-os-Rios (optional excursion to Quinta da Aveleda (estate with gardens and museum)
- DAY 7: Regua (Lamego city tour with wine tasting at Quinta da Pacheca estate)
- DAY 8: Pinhao - optional excursion to Sandeman's Quinta do Seixo Wine Centre (guided tour with wine tasting) or Vineyard hiking tour (with wine tasting), afternoon cruising towards Pocinho
- DAY 9: Barca d’Alva - optional excursion to Castelo Rodrigo (town) or Coa Valley Archaeological Park, shipboard Gala Dinner
- DAY 10: Vega de Terron (cruise ship debarkation), bus travel to Salamanca (walking tour), bus transfer to Madrid, Madrid hotel check-in, a guided walking tour (“Madrid at Your Doorstep”)
- DAY 11: Madrid - optional excursions Corral de la Moreria (with Flamenco dancing and restaurant dinner), bus city tour or a walking tour (both visiting Prado)
- DAY 12: Madrid - bus tour to Toledo (walking tour)
- DAY 13: Madrid (departure) - hotel check-out, optional airport transfer (group or private), home flight
SS Sao Gabriel is staffed by all Portuguese crew. Sao Gabriel and her 50 staterooms (of which 4 Classic, 10 Deluxe, 20 French Balcony, 12 Suite, and 4 Grand Suite in 5 grades) are relatively small in comparison with those on other Uniworld ships. Her dimensions have been dictated by the relatively narrow and short locks which pepper the Douro River. Boat's amenities are slightly different from those available on all Uniworld company-owned vessels. The cabins' beds, for example, are smaller. The lower deck cabins have large windows. All staterooms on the upper two decks feature beautifully appointed balconies. There is also adequate storage space and good bathrooms with L'Occitane en Provence products.
MS Sao Gabriel has a Restaurant (Main dining room) and Main Lounge (featuring a full-service Bar). Other amenities include a heated outdoor swimming pool (forward-midship on Sun Deck), Spa, Gym (fitness centre), boutique shop, office, reception, an elevator (connecting all decks). All guests are pampered with complimentary coffee bar and free Wi-Fi and Internet access. Butler service is added onboard, giving passengers the option to dine at any time they wish while enjoying the ship.
Sao Gabriel river cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative Uniworld Portugal cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Uniworld Douro River cruise only or cruise tour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers, and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates. Uniworld offers air-inclusive cruise deals and pre/post cruise hotel packages as extensions (at additional cost).
SS Sao Gabriel - user reviews and comments
Photos of SS Sao GabrielAdd Photo
SS Sao Gabriel ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Next year, Uniworld River Cruises is due to welcome 3 new boats to its European fleet (to operate from homeports Bordeaux France, Venice Italy and...June 27, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Some of the most famous rivers in the world, including the Mekong in Vietnam and the Nile in Egypt, will become the playground for new river...February 9, 2019
- show more news
Other Uniworld cruise ships
SS Sao Gabriel Wiki
Sao Gabriel is one of Uniworld's three newbuild riverboats scheduled for launches in 2020 - together with the fleet mates RV Mekong Jewel (on Mekong River in Cambodia-Vietnam / Southeast Asia) and SS Sphinx (on Nile River in Egypt / North Africa).
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
SS Sao Gabriel User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review