Viking Fjorgyn last position
Specifications of Viking Fjorgyn
|Year built||2020 new ship|
|Builder||Neptun Werft GmbH (Rostock, Germany)|
|Class||Seine River Viking Longship|
|Ferry route / homeports||Paris France|
|Operator||Viking River Cruises|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||135 m / 443 ft|
|Beam (width)||12 m / 39 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||5000 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Sister-ships||Viking Kari, Viking Radgrid, Viking Skaga|
Viking Fjorgyn Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 Nov 14||7 days, round-trip Paris the Heart of Normandy||Paris||$1995|
|2021 Nov 21||7 days, round-trip Paris the Heart of Normandy||Paris||$2695|
|2021 Nov 28||7 days, round-trip Paris the Heart of Normandy||Paris||$2195|
|2021 Dec 05||7 days, round-trip Paris the Heart of Normandy||Paris||$2195|
|2021 Dec 12||7 days, round-trip Paris the Heart of Normandy||Paris||$1995|
|2021 Dec 19||7 days, round-trip Paris the Heart of Normandy||Paris||$1995|
Viking Fjorgyn Review
Review of Viking Fjorgyn
Longship Viking Fjorgyn boat cruises on Seine River, in France's Normandy region exclusively. The riverboat is year-round homeported in Paris City, departing weekly on 7-night/d-day roundtrip voyages. This Viking longship is named after Fjorgyn (the goddess of Earth). According to Norse mythology, Fjorgyn is the mother of Thor (thunder god, son of Odin).
The Longship Fjorgyn is one of the four Viking riverboats specifically designed to navigate on Seine River and dock right into downtown Paris. The 2020-built sisterships Fjorgyn, Kari, Radgrid and Skaga are all smaller (passenger capacity 168 / not 190) and with customized hulls and different engines in comparison to the standard Viking River Cruises' Longship-Class vessels.
Viking Fjorgyn has a total of 84 staterooms (of which 9x Suite, 35x Balcony, 18x French Balconies, 25x Porthole /with a non-opening window) in 8 cabin grades. The Longship Fjorgyn has two aft-located Explorer Suites with wraparound balconies providing spectacular 270-degrees scenery views. The seven Veranda Suites are each with two separate/full rooms and feature a step-out balcony (accessed from the living room) and a French Balcony (in the bedroom). There are also 35 Veranda Staterooms, each with a private, step-out balcony. Viking Fjorgyn carries 168 passengers who are provided complimentary with modern hotel amenities and superior travel and leisure services.
Cabins Types/Categories (number, location), high to low
- Suites - ES (x2, deck3), AA (x7, deck 3)
- Balcony Staterooms - A (x18, deck3), B (x17, deck2)
- French Balcony Staterooms (with floor-ceiling, sliding door windows) - C (x3, deck3 aft), D (x15, deck2)
- RiverView Staterooms - E (x8, deck1 forward), F (x14, deck1 midship).
All Viking Cruises Longships are fitted with solar panels (mounted aft on Sun Deck) and hybrid (diesel-electric) powerplants based on energy-efficient marine engines. The Observation Bar Lounge has floor-ceiling glass doors opening onto the Aquavit Terrace. This is bow-located indoor-outdoor venue designed for relaxation and alfresco dining. The topship-located Sun Deck has a large shaded sitting area (covered by a retractable awning) and provides 360-degree riverside views.
Onboard dining options include Fjorgyn Restaurant (dining room) and Aquavit Terrace (al fresco). Other facilities include Atrium (lobby with 24-hour Reception Desk), Library (Internet Lounge), Shop (gifts, souvenirs), Sky Bar, walking track. The Fjorgyn Longship doesn't have fitness/gym room, swimming pool, Jacuzzi (outdoor whirlpool), Spa/Beauty Salon, self-service laundry facilities (laundromats). One elevator (passenger lift) connects only decks 2 and 3. All decks are interconnected via stairs - forward (Grand Staircase in the Atrium), midship and aft.
Unlike standard Viking Longships, Fjorgyn also lacks the aft-sundeck's putting green (mini-golf course), Herb Garden (organic herbal garden) and the deckgames area (with shuffleboard).
Viking Seine River Cruise Itinerary
The Longship Fjorgyn operates Viking River Cruises' signature itinerary "Paris and the Heart of Normandy". The 8-day Seine River cruise is themed on the French traditions, food, history and art.
Follows the review of Viking Fjorgyn river cruise itinerary as ports and ashore activities/tours.
- (Day 1) Le Pecq (docking and embarkation) - this riverfront town is located in Paris City's western suburbs. After boarding the riverboat and check-in, passengers are free to explore the city or join the organized walking tour.
- (Day 2) Paris City - after the shipboard breakfast starts a bus tour around the city and visiting the Eiffel Tower, Ecole Militaire (military training complex), Musee d'Orsay (housed in a late-19th-century railway station and showcasing paintings, sculptures, photography, furniture), Latin Quarter (around the Sorbonne), Notre Dame Cathedral, Louvre, Opera House, Champs-Elysees Avenue. In the evening, passengers return to the ship for dinner and also to start their Seine River cruising vacation.
- (Day 3, docking in La Roche-Guyon) Giverny and Vernon - Vernon is a picturesque town with cobblestone streets and half-timbered houses with wooden carvings. The arrival in Vernon is before breakfast. Follows a guided city tour visiting Maison du Temps Jadis (town’s oldest house) and the Notre Dame Church (11th-century). After lunch is organized a bus tour to Giverny to visit Claude Monet's residence house and water gardens (where the painter lived and worked in the period 1883-1926). In the evening, dinner is served on the ship.
- (Day 4) Arrival in Rouen, in the afternoon is organized an Old Town walking tour visiting Notre Dame Cathedral and Gros Horloge (16th-century astronomical clock).
- (Day 5) Normandy Beaches (D-Day landings themed excursion) visits Normandy's waterfront areas where in June 1944 landed the US, UK and Canadian airborne troops. After the shipboard breakfast follows a full-day bus tour to the Normandy landing beaches (Gold Beach, Courseulles sur Mer, Juno Beach, Omaha Beach, American Military Cemetery, Arromanches D-Day Museum). Alternatively is offered a bus tour to Bayeaux, free time at Juno Beach (visiting the D-Day Museum) and visiting Pegasus Memorial Museum. Return to the ship is in the evening (for dinner).
- (Day 6) Les Andelys - after the shipboard lunch follows the bus tour to Chateau Gaillard (12th-century castle built by Richard I of England /the Lionheart).
- Set along the Seine, this small town is best known for the imposing Château Gaillard overlooking the village.
- (Day 7) Mantes-la-Jolie (fka Mantes-sur-Seine) is a picturesque location on the winding river. After breakfast follows a bus tour to Chateau de Malmaison (18th-century manor house). An optional bus tour Chateau de Versailles (palace, French Empire's royal residence between 1682-1789).
- (Day 8) Paris City (docking and disembaktaion) - check-out and debarkation are after breakfast. Follows the bus transfer from the ship to Paris Airport (Charles de Gaulle) for the return flight. Ground transfers are not cruise-inclusive and offered only with the Viking Air package. Optionally is offered a 3-night cruise extension package in Paris City.
Viking Fjorgyn cruise deals are inclusive of Internet (Wi-Fi), all tours/excursions, ground/bus transfers, live evening entertainment, daily lecturers/media presentations, food and wine tastings, 24-hour coffee/tea, replenished daily bottled water. Viking Fjorgyn Seine River cruise prices are per person and based on double occupancy. These are only indicative of Viking cruise rates. They might be different when you book your Viking River Cruises Europe cruise tour deals, influenced by travel agency promotions, special offers and discounts, group travel booking or last-minute deals rates.
To/from Viking Fjorgyn ship transfers and airport meet-and-greet services are included in the fares only when airfares are purchased through Viking Cruises (company's Viking Air package).
Viking Fjorgyn - user reviews and comments
Viking Fjorgyn ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Viking River Cruises announced new details about its 2020 season, which is expected to see the addition of 4 new ships custom built to navigate River...December 14, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Viking Cruises announced that from 2020, the company will expand its France riverboat fleet with the launch of 4 new Viking-Longship class boats...August 17, 2019
- show more news
Other Viking Cruises cruise ships
Viking Fjorgyn Wiki
Viking Fjorgyn is one of the new generation longships of Viking Cruises. This is a patented river cruise ship design allowing bigger passenger accommodations without shrinking public areas' size and compromising vessel's general comfort. Longship Fjorgyn represents Viking Cruise' latest design that features energy-efficient hybrid engine technology, solar panels and interior design developed by "Yran & Storbraaten" (Norway). The patented "longship" design ("Rottet Studios", USA) allows much larger accommodations with full-size (step-out) balconies. The additional cabin space is created by 1 m (3,3 ft) off-center shifting of the deck's corridor.
Vessel's powerplant consists of two main Caterpillar marine diesel engines (model CAT32-ACERT / total power output 2 MW). These are V12 (V engine with 12 cylinders and 12 pistons driving a crankshaft). The propulsion system is based on two Caterpillar marine propulsion engines (model CAT18-ACERT) with combined output 1 MW.
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All companies and their fleets are listed there.
Viking Fjorgyn User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review