Celebrity Beyond Review and Specifications
Specifications of Celebrity Beyond
|Year built||2020 new ship|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 1 billion (EUR 830 million)|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL)|
|Length (LOA)||306 m / 1004 ft|
|Beam (width)||39 m / 128 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||129500 gt|
|Passengers||2918 - 3373|
Review of Celebrity Beyond
Launched in 2020, Celebrity Beyond is the second of the four Edge-class Celebrity Cruises ships, together with Celebrity Edge (2018) and 2 more (still unnamed) vessels, scheduled for fall 2021 and fall 2022.
History - construction & ownership
Celebrity cruise line was founded in 1988 by the Greece-based Chandris Line (cruise shipping operations between 1974-1996). In 1997, Royal Caribbean International (RCI) merged with Celebrity Cruises Ltd to become "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd" (RCCL), which operates RCI, Celebrity, Azamara and Pullmantur. The signature "Χ" on the funnel of all Celebrity vessels is the Greek letter chi, standing for "Chandris". The company is headquartered in Miami, Florida. Common features of Celebrity-operated ships include aft glass-walled dining rooms, signature alternate dining venues, bars and lounges, formal Atrium lobby areas, numerous balcony and suite staterooms, large sundecks with swimming pools, premium spas and relaxation areas.
You can watch the following YouTube video (official Celebrity Cruises release) about all the Celebrity Edge cruise ship's unique features.
The 117,000-ton, 2,900-passenger cruise ship Celebrity Beyond is the second of four cruise ships scheduled to debut for Celebrity Cruises under its Project Edge. Celebrity Beyond debuts in spring 2020. The new ships are bigger than Millennium-class vessels, but smaller than the Solstice-class. The company advertized "small-ship itineraries with large-ship amenities", destination-rich experiences and iconic maritime architecture.
Cruise itinerary program
Celebrity Beyond itinerary program is to be announced soon.
Most Celebrity Beyond staterooms are Balcony rooms. There are also a number of wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Celebrity Beyond are the Suites. Of all the 1467 staterooms, 918 are Edge Staterooms (with Infinite Verandas) and 176 are suites.
All staterooms are fitted with keyless cabin entry technology that uses digital keys (on smart phones), as well as standard keycards and RFID bands.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Celebrity Beyond ship has 4 main dining rooms and 6 new-to-Celebrity Cruises specialty restaurants. In total, the cruise ship has 15 restaurants and cafes, 12 bars and lounges.
- Passengers in AquaClass staterooms or Suites eat at Blu Restaurant, offering lighter "spa-inspired" cuisine. The Luminae Restaurant is named "Luminae at The Retreat" and (along with Blu) is part of the private, Suite Class passsengers exclusive complex "The Retreat". Suite passengers have also the option to eat in the Main Dining Rooms / MDRs (Normandie Restaurant, Tuscan Restaurant, Cosmopolitan Restaurant, Cyprus Restaurant). These 4 complimentary restaurants serve menus inspired by the itinerary / destinations visited. Each restaurant offers regional wines and themed cocktails, dishes made from locally-sourced ingredients, also a rotating menu of Signature dishes for dinner (changing every evening) and Classic dinner menu. The ship's main restaurants are served by dedicated to each table wait staff (sommelier, assistant waiter, head waiter). Passengers are assigned to one of the 4 MDRs, but still have the option (upon request) to dine in the other 3.
- Celebrity Beyond offers the company's traditional "Celebrity Select Dining" (your-time dining for dinners) option, which is renamed to "Celebrity Select Dining Plus". Passengers can make reservations in any of the 4 MDRs if they know they want to eat at specific restaurant and dinner time, or they can simply show up and enjoy dinner on their own time.
- In addition to the 4 MDR restaurants, there are plenty of complimentary dining venues, such as Oceanview Cafe (live cooking stations, bakery), Mast Grill (poolside), Spa Cafe & Juice Bar (healthy food and beverages), Eden Cafe (wide variety of breakfast and lunch items). The ship also has two outdoor al fresco seating venues.
- Celebrity Beyond has a total of 11 bars and lounges, including: Eden, Cafe al Bacio, The Club, Sunset Bar, Theatre Bar, Casino Bar, Martini Bar, Pool Bar, Il Secondo Bacio, The Retreat Pool Bar, The Retreat Lounge.
- The ship has a number of for-fee restaurants (at surcharge per person), including Qsine (USD 45 pp), Tuscan Grill (Italian steakhouse, USD 45 pp), Murano (French, USD 45 pp), Lawn Club Grill (DIY steaks, USD 40 pp), Bistro on 5 (creperie, USD 10 pp), The Porch (USD 5 pp, panini restaurant open for breakfast and lunch). At Qsine, passengers can order on iPads, then waiters bring the food in the order of choosing.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Ship's Lawn Deck is equipped with real grass and the vessel has more deck chairs than others, offering calm atmosphere under the sun. The Celebrity iLounge gives guests computer tutorial classes and is also a representative of Apple, providing access to the most affordable Mac products available at duty-free prices. Another feature of Celebrity Beyond is the AquaSpa café, ideal for a quick lunch after the spa. The Sky Observation Lounge offers live music at sunset, or you can test your luck at Fortune’s Casino – there’s something to do onboard at anytime.
The following official YouTube video reviews the ship's glass-walled Eden Observation Lounge combining dining and nightlife.
- Eden is a 3-deck high (decks 4, 5, 6) lounge-bar-restaurant venue with live music and show programming changing throughout the day.
- Eden Lounge measures 10439 m3 (368640 ft3) and covers a total area of 1175 m2 (12650 ft2). The lounge has outward-facing design and combines a signature gastronomic experience (light lunch, 5-course dinner, wine tastings) with live performances, daily lectures, promo events. The lounge has alfresco dining areas on both its sides. In the evening, the lounge transforms into "Eve at Eden", with more provocative entertainment (fusion of performance art, dining and nightlife.
- The Eden Restaurant is part of th lounge.
- The Eden Bar is a food and drinks bar, also serving hand-crafted cocktails.
- The lounge's 90-m / 295 ft long ramp envelops the entire space and provides panoramic views.
- The lounge's unconventional furniture and interiors are designed by Patricia Urquiola (Spain). She also designed the lounge's "Library of Plants" (living garden) and the hanging plant pillars.
- the lounge's designer is Scott Butler (Wilson Butler Architects, Boston MA).
- The evening show programming is by Variety Worldwide (NYC New York).
"The Meeting Place" is named the ship's Conference Center (sized 183 m2 / 1970 ft2). This large meeting room is designed by Wilson Butler Architects (Boston MA) and provides advanced audio-visual equipment, varied seating arrangements, private office (event planning space), as well as mobile bars (for food and beverages) and a fully equipped pantry.
Magic Carpet ("outdoor elevator lounge")
An unique feature of the Celebrity Beyond ship is its Magic Carpet - a glass structure (glass-roofed, cantilevered platform) the size of a tennis court, able to traverse 14 stories, like a large elevator. Mounted on the ship's starboard side, the open-air Magic Carpet offers stunning ocean views, comfortable seating, full bar, stage for live music performances, This "traveling venue" changes its theme, function and location by extending from Deck 2 up to Deck 16.
Passengers can't simply ride on the Magic Carpet (using it as elevator). In each location, the "moving lounge" is safely locked, then guests are allowed to step onboard. While repositioning, the venue is without any passengers. Some of its furniture is fixed.
The structure repositions and transforms into a new venue depending on which deck is locked.
- When positioned on Deck 16 (above pool deck), it becomes a specialty restaurant offering the unique “Dinner on the Edge" al-fresco dining under the stars.
- When positioned on Resort Deck 14 (in front the cabanas), it becomes an extension of the pool deck area, also offering live music performances.
- When positioned on Dining Deck 5, it becomes a specialty restaurant - alfresco dining appendix to the ship's main dining room restaurant.
- When positioned on Tendering Deck 2, it becomes extension of the Destination Gateway (embarkation station serving ship's tender operations). Destination Gateway boarding area is dedicated to the so called "Edge Launches" - luxurious passenger tendering ashore, providing seamless embarkation and disembarkation in all ports of call along the cruise itinerary. This spacious area is fitted with large LCD screens (displaying destination, itinerary and ports highlights), comfortable seating (capacity 130 seats), air-conditioning.
"Destination Getaway" is a dedicated embarkation point when the platform is positioned at its lowest level (Tendering Deck 2).
Magic Carpet's repositioning schedule is published daily.
Celebrity Beyond wiki
- The Edge Class Celebrity cruise ships were designed via exclusive partnership with Nate Berkus (US interior designer). At the age of 24, he established an interior design firm.
Celebrity Beyond ship related cruise news
The French cruise ship builder STX France (St Nazaire) and 2 of its customers signed firm building contracts covering 8 ships that have been...December 23, 2016
The world's largest cruise ship is getting another sister. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. revealed plans to build a 5th Oasis-class ship, less than a...May 26, 2016
- show more news