Empress Of The Seas Review and Specifications
Specifications of Empress Of The Seas
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 170 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||210 m / 689 ft|
|Beam (width)||30 m / 98 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||48563 gt|
|Passengers||1590 - 1877|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Former names||Future Seas, Nordic Empress, Pullmantur Empress|
|Christened by||Gloria Estefan|
Review of Empress Of The Seas
Launched in 1990 as Nordic Empress, Empress Of The Seas was previously sailing as one of the Pullmantur Cruises ships, Pullmantur Empress (2008-2016). The ship cost US $170 million to build and was last refurbished in 2016.
History - construction & ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. RCI is a cruise line brand established in Norway and currently based in Miami, Florida. As of September 2015, the line controls a 17% share of the world cruise market, with 23 cruise ships in service and other three on order. All vessels under the Royal Caribbean brand have had their names ending with "of the Seas" since 1991. Sister brands owned by Royal Caribbean Ltd. are Azamara Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, CDF Croisières de France and Pullmantur Cruises.
The 48,563-ton, 1,910-passenger cruise ship Empress Of The Seas is classic and luxury, attractive to cruisers who prefer to relax between visiting exotic destinations. In 2008, Royal Caribbean International thought the ms Empress had to retire, but Pullmantur Cruises proved them wrong.
Cruise itinerary program
Empress Of The Seas, which left the Royal Caribbean fleet in 2008, sails on short cruises out of Miami after spending 8 years with the subsidiary company Pullmantur. The cruise ship offers 3-, 4- and 5-night itineraries (starting March 2016), including some 5-nights with Cozumel, Mexico overnight stays.
Empress Of The Seas offers a total of 796 staterooms in 15 categories, of which 329 Inside, 69 Balcony and 6 Suites. The largest aboard Empress are the Royal Suites (54.50 m2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Pullmantur Empress 392-seat Buffet restaurant was the spot to choose between various dishes to satisfy consumer preferences and tastes. The 56-seat Wu Fusion Restaurant had an exclusive design and featured a wide range of cocktails and exotic Far East flavours. The 476-seat à la carte Miramar Restaurant offered quality dishes and the attention of all waiters.
Empress Of The Seas 1004-seat Main Dining Room is an aft-located complimentary venue open for Breakfast (7:00 – 9.30 a.m.), Brasserie 30 Lunch (12:00 – 2:00 p.m. /seadays only) and Dinner ( 2 fixed seatings 6:30 or 9:00 p.m.). Chops Grille is the signature steakhouse-seafood restaurant of Royal Caribbean open between 5:30 – 9:30 p.m. ($39 surcharge per person is applied). Its open kitchen allows guests to watch the preparation of their food. Reservations are recommended.
Follows the complete list of Empress Of The Seas restaurants and food bars.
- Main Dining Room (1004-seat, aft-located complimentary restaurant)
- Windjammer Cafe buffet restaurant (580-seat, offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Chops Grille (steakhouse/seafood).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Leisure facilities on Pullmantur Empress included a fitness centre, sauna, Jacuzzis, rock climbing wall and two pools. Production and comedy shows were presented in the Broadway Show Lounge with music, dancing and cabaret. Other amusements were the two-level aft nightclub and Casino.
The Royal Caribbean ship Empress Of The Seas has new pools and whirlpools, a rock-climbing wall, adults-only Solarium, and the signature steakhouse Chops Grille. The Empress also boasts the Voom, line's super-fast Wi-Fi.
Follows the complete list of Empress Of The Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Royal Theater (740-seat, features 3D Movies, aerial acrobatic performances and Broadway-style productions)
- Centrum (7-decks high Atrium area)
- Schooner Bar (138-seat piano bar for live music, trivia games and classy cocktails)
- Viking Crown Lounge (268-seat, with panoramic windows; becomes a disco club nightly)
- Boleros Lounge (317-seat Latin-themed bar & nightclub)
- Royal Shops & Boutiques (duty-free shops)
- Focus Photo Gallery & Shop; Picture This portrait studio; Card Room; Library
- RC Online (24-hour Internet computers center)
- Casino Royale
- Vitality at Sea Spa & ShipShape Fitness Center
- Challenger’s Video Games Arcade; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area
- Pool area (2 pools, 3 whirlpools, poolside bar, sunbathing area)
- Rock-climbing Wall.
Empress Of The Seas wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 15
- Total number of cabins: 796 (of which 6 Suites, 63 Balcony, 302 Inside)
- Dining Rooms: Restaurant (2-tiered, a la carte, 476-seat).
- Restaurants and food bars: Windjammer Cafe (Buffet Restaurant / inside and exterior, 392-seat), Chops Grille Restaurant (56-seat).
- Lounges & Bars: Royal Theater (2-tiered), Marina Bar (outdoor), Schooner Bar (Piano Bar, 130-seat), Boleros Lounge (317-seat), Card Room, Conference Center, Video Arcade, Viking Crown Lounge (and Disco Club), Adventure Ocean (kids & teens club lounges).
- Vitality Spa, Beauty Salon, Solarium, ShipShape Fitness Center, Rock Climbing Wall, 2 Swimming Pools (salt water, adapted for children), 3 Jacuzzis, Library, RC Online (Internet Center), Royal Shops, Focus Photo Gallery, Casino Royale (2-deck), Medical Center.
- The former Pullmantur Empress ship was launched as "Nordic Empress" in 1990. It was previously operated as "Empress of the Seas" by the Royal Caribbean company (RCI) in the period 2004-2008. The Nordic Empress ship was the last RCI vessel which name didn't have the "of the Seas" suffix.
- Empress joined the RCI fleet in March 2016 following an extensive refit in Bahamas. Being built as the first mass market cruise ship - designed specifically for short cruises from Florida - Empress started round-trips out of Miami to Bahamas, Mexico and Grand Cayman. Some of the 5-night Western Caribbean cruise itineraries included only Cozumel Mexico (overnight stay).
Itineraries 2016 changes
Empress Of The Seas was home-ported in Miami Florida. Miami port departures are at 4 pm (on Eastern/Western Caribbean cruises) and at 5 pm (on Bahamas cruises). Miami port arrivals are at 8 am (on Eastern/Western Caribbean itineraries) and at 7 am (on Bahamas itineraries). Ports of call times are as follow - Nassau Bahamas (8 am – 5 pm), Coco Cay Bahamas (8 am – 5 pm), Cozumel Mexico (8 am – 8 pm), Cozumel (overnight stays are from 8 am to 6 pm on the next day), Costa Maya Mexico (7 am - 3 pm), Key West Florida (8 am – 8 pm), George Town Grand Cayman (7 am – 3 pm)
- Due to prolonged dry-dock stay (before entering the RCI fleet), the following round-trip cruises from Miami were officially cancelled by Royal Caribbean: March 30, 2016 (5-day Eastern Caribbean "maiden voyage" to Key West, Grand Cayman), April 4, 2016 (3-day Bahamas - Nassau, Coco Cay), April 7, 2016 (4-day Bahamas - Key West, Coco Cay), April 11, 2016 (5-day Mexico - Cozumel, Costa Maya), April 16, 2016 (5-day Eastern Caribbean - Key West, Grand Cayman), April 21, 2016 (4-day Bahamas - Coco Cay, Nassau), April 25, 2016 (5-day Western Caribbean - Costa Maya, Cozumel), April 30, 2016 (5-day Eastern Caribbean - Key West, Grand Cayman).
- Booked passengers were given the options to either rebook on Majesty of the Seas (same cabin type) through April 30, rebook on the Empress ship (plus USD 100 onboard credit) or cancel with full refund being provided. All Royal Caribbean Empress booked "flight and cruise" passengers (both through RCI or independent) were rebooked (no extra charge, flight change fees covered). The ship officially entered into service on May 9, 2016, with a 5-day Miami to Cozumel Mexico ("Inaugural Cruise") itinerary.
- NEWS: In July 2016, RCI released new itineraries for the Empress ship thus extending the bookings through (first) September and (later) through October 2016. The new cruises are from Miami to Bahamas and Caribbean: 5-night Key West Florida and Cozumel Mexico (departure dates are Sept 12, 26, Oct 1, 10, 15, 24, 29), and 4-night Key West Florida and Nassau Bahamas (departure dates are Sept 3, 17, October 6, 20).
- NEWS: In August 2016, RCI added more itineraries extending the ship's Caribbean cruise program through the 2016's end (December). Added were also new for the ship ports of call - Falmouth Jamaica, Belize City, Costa Maya Mexico and Roatan Island Honduras. The latest added itineraries as departure dates (round-trip Miami) and lenght are as follows - Nov 3 (4-night to Cozumel), Nov 7 (4-night to Nassau and Key West), Nov 11 (6-night to Costa Maya, Cozumel, Nassau), Nov 17 (4-night to Key West and Nassau), Nov 21 (7-night to Nassau, Falmouth Jamaica, Grand Cayman), Nov 28 and Dec 5 (3-night to Nassau and Coco Cay), Dec 1 and 15 (4-night to Key West and Nassau), Dec 8 (7-night to Costa Maya, Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel), Xmas Dec 19 (8-night to Key West, Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya, Cozumel) and NYE Dec 27 (7-night to Key West, Belize City, Costa Maya, Cozumel).
- NEWS: Empress will be the RCI ship sailing to Cuba. Itineraries start in 2017 (on April 19, a 5-night cruise out of Miami to Costa Maya and Havana). Two more 2017 itineraries to Cuba were posted for booking in December 2016 - April 30 (7-night Tampa to Cozumel, Belize City, Havana) and May 20 (7-night Tampa to Key West FL, Havana, Cozumel).
Pullmantur Empress ship
Follows information regarding the previously named “MS Empress” Pullmantur vessel.
- Total number of cabins: 795 (of which 6 Suites, 69 Balcony, 329 Inside)
- Dining Rooms: Miramar Restaurant (2-tiered, a la carte, 476-seat).
- Restaurants and food bars: Panorama Buffet Restarurant (inside and exterior, 392-seat), Wu Fusion Restaurant (56-seat).
- Lounges & Bars: Broadway Show Lounge (2-tiered), Marina Bar (outdoor), Rendez-Vous Salon (Cafe, 341-seat), The Pier Salon and Piano Bar (Pub/Cafe, 130-seat), Reading Room, Recreation Room, Cards Room, Tibu Club, Starlight Disco, Teen´s Club, Guppy Club, Tours Office, Reception.
- Sea Spa, Beauty Salon, Solarium, Fitness Center, Climbing Wall, 2 Swimming Pools (salt water, adapted for children), 3 Jacuzzis, Library, Internet Center, Shops, Camera and Video Store, Casino del Mar (2-deck), Medical Center.
- Pullmantur Empress ship was formerly operated as "Nordic Empress" and "Empress of the Seas" by the Royal Caribbean company (RCCL). Nordic Empress was the RCI's last vessel which name didn't have the suffix "of the Seas". Following an extensive refit in 2004, the vessel's name was changed in order to match the rest of the RCI cruise fleet. Nordic Empress was the first mainstream (mass market) ship designed to be operated with short (3- and 4-day) cruise deals.
- In November 2012, Pullmantur Empress was the first ship in the fleet to receive a new logo and hull color scheme. The ship's interior was highlighted by a 9-deck atrium with waterfall.
Empress Of The Seas related cruise news
Royal Caribbean confirmed that Empress of the Seas will be the ship used to make first sailings to Cuba in 2017 spring. The first 5-night...December 10, 2016
Five US brands, collectively operated by Royal Caribbean Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings received the green light to start cruising to...December 8, 2016
Two of the biggest cruise ports in the world, Port Canaveral and Port Miami, shut down as a result of the upcoming threat of Hurricane Matthew...October 5, 2016
As the height of hurricane season is close by, Hurricane Gaston prompted changes to at least one itinerary. Royal Caribbean's current 4-night Empress...August 29, 2016
Royal Caribbean pushed back line's planned entry into Cuba again, after not receiving permission to cruise there. As originally announced by Royal...August 2, 2016
Only a month after returning to the fleet of Royal Caribbean after several years with sister cruise line Pullmantur and US$50 million refurbishment...June 28, 2016
Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas will receive an aqua park, multiple water slides and popular Izumi Asian restaurant during the 2016 November...June 1, 2016
Empress of the Seas, the cruise ship Royal Caribbean officials said they hoped would be able to serve Cuba, arrived to her new homeport, Miami, after...May 27, 2016
During a press conference on Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Seas inaugural cruise on May 21, Saturday, President and CEO Michael Bayley indicated...May 22, 2016
In 2016, Royal Caribbean will revitalize 6 ships in its fleet: Adventure of the Seas, Empress of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Liberty of the...May 10, 2016
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Empress Of The Seas Itineraries 2017
The below listed Empress Of The Seas cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.