Aegean Myth current position
Aegean Myth current location is at East Mediterranean (coordinates 38.25846 N / 22.07717 E) cruising en route to AIGION. The AIS position was reported 2 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Aegean Myth
|Year built||1993 / Age: 28|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 180 million|
|Owner||Mediterranean Majesty Inc|
|Operator||Seajets Cruise Line (Seajets Ferries Greece)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||219 m / 719 ft|
|Beam (width)||30 m / 98 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||55575 gt|
|Passengers||1264 - 1510|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Sister-ships||MS Ryndam (Aegean Goddess), MS Statendam (CMV Vasco da Gama), MS Veendam (Aegean Majesty)|
|Former names||MS Maasdam (Holland America Line)|
|Christened by||June Allyson (for Holland America Line)|
Aegean Myth Review
Review of Aegean Myth
The 1993-built Aegean Myth cruise ship (fka "MS Maasdam") is the 2nd Statendam (S-class) ship of Holland America Line, together with MS Statendam (CMV Vasco da Gama), MS Ryndam (now Aegean Goddess, ex Pacific-Aria, CMV Ida Pfeiffer) and MS Veendam (now Aegean Majesty).
In July 2020, Carnival Corporation (via Holland America Line) sold 4 liners. MS Amsterdam and MS Rotterdam were sold to Fred Olsen Cruise Lines (to be renamed "MS Bolette" and "MS Borealis"). MS Maasdam and MS Veendam were sold to an undisclosed buyer. In late-August was revealed the new shipowner's name - Eaglepower Shipping Ltd (Seajets Ferries Greece). The Greek ferry company operates the fastest ferries in the Cyclades Islands and starts a cruise shipping division with all 3 liners - Aegean Myth (HAL Maasdam), Aegean Majesty (HAL Veendam) and Oceana (P&O UK). For the cruise vessels was contracted Optimum ShipManagement Services SA (Piraeus-based company) that also manages the Celestyal Cruises fleet.
All scheduled for the 4 ships cruises were canceled or assumed by other HAL ships.
- A total of 32x Holland America Maasdam ship cruises were canceled (October 7, 2020, through September 27, 2021), including 64-43-31-day Transpacific repositioning (San Diego to Sydney NSW), 33-day Australia Circumnavigation roundtrip from Sydney (2021 Nov 19 through Dec 22), 13-day Southern Australian Holiday (Dec 2021), 20-40-day repositioning (Sydney to Singapore), 20-day Indian Ocean Explorer roundtrip from Singapore (Malaysia-Thailand-Sri Lanka-Maldives / 2021 Jan 24-Feb 13), Transpacific repositioning crossings (19-day Singapore to Sydney, 43-day Singapore to San Diego, 24-36-day Sydney to San Diego), 10-12-day Mexico Sea Of Cortez roundtrips from San Diego, 4-day Alaska repositioning (San Diego to Vancouver), and Alaskan voyages roundtrip from Vancouver BC (14-day Great Alaskan Explorer and 7-day Alaskan Inside Passage, 2021 May 3 through Sept 27).
Following the vessel's acquisition, Seajets Aegean Myth was initially docked/moored at Port Aigio (Egio) Greece, located approx 40 km (24 mi) to the east from Patras.
For Holland America Line, the vessel was Holland-flagged (MMSI 244958000) and registered in Rotterdam. For Seajets Ferries, the ship is now Bermuda-flagged (MMSI 310805000) and registered in Hamilton.
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among the company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
SEAJETS Greece (1989-founded) is a Cyprus-based shipping company that specializes in passenger and cargo ferry services exclusively in the Eastern Mediterranean (Aegean Sea). Seajets' fleet includes mainly fast-ferries (14x high-speed catamarans, max capacity 2100 passengers + 600 cars) plus 3x conventional Ro-Pax vessels (max capacity 1300 passengers + 400 cars). Seajets operates from homeports Piraeus-Athens, Lavrion and Crete (Heraklion and Rethymno) inter-connecting 26 Cyclades Islands (Crete including) with 260 connections.
The 1264-passenger ship MS Maasdam featured the New York Times-branded Explorations Coffee and a combination of Library-Digital Fun Room (touch-screen interactive computer maps, over-sized crossword puzzles). Maasdam ship's refit in April 2011 was part of HAL's USD 560 million "Signature of Excellence" fleetwide renovation program focused on modernizing all oldest vessels. Together with new carpets, upholstery and soft goods, Maasdam gained 3 signature amenities - dinner-only Italian restaurant, 2 new kinds of staterooms and the Mix Lounge (3-in-1 bar lounge).
Cruise itinerary program
MS Maasdam itinerary program was based on Carribean cruises (leaving roundtrip from homeport Fort Lauderdale Florida), Canada and New England voyages (out of Quebec City and Boston MA) as well as European voyages (in the Mediterranean during summer) with Transatlantic repositioning crossings in Spring-Fall.
MS Maasdam/Aegean Myth staterooms (631 total) include 149 Balcony Suites (24%), no Balcony, 352 Oceanviews (including 29 Lanai cabins), 128 Inside and 32 Spa rooms (16 Balcony Suites, 12 Oceanview, 4 Inside) in all 32 cabin grades. Most cabins are 175-255-ft2 sized oceanviews (352). Almost 25% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. There are a total of 631 staterooms in 32 categories. Wheelchair-accessible cabins are 18, connecting rooms number is 102. The largest passenger cabins are Pinnacle Suites (935 ft2).
Implemented fleetwide in 2019, "Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is part of the Main Dining Room (designed as separate VIP dining section).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Maasdam's restaurants include the Rotterdam Dining Room, the Lido buffet, and the intimate Pinnacle Grill. There is also a casual poolside option for hot dogs and burgers, a coffee bar, and complimentary room service round-the-clock (from hot breakfast choices to dinner selections). The Lido buffet is efficient and has great sea views through its floor-to-ceiling windows. The buffet serves continental breakfast from 6:30 a.m., full breakfast (7-11 a.m.); lunch (11 a.m.-2 p.m.); and dinner (6-7:30 p.m.) Hours are adjusted during embarkation/debarkation and on port days. There are extended hours for ice cream, sandwiches or late-night offerings. Tea and coffee are available at the Lido at all times. The lines are manageable, even at peak times, with lots of available tables.
Follows the complete list of ms Maasdam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (64-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via a partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Rotterdam Restaurant (792-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (375-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annexe; operates as an Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
By day there are trivia games, Bridge, Bingo, Sudoku, movies, cooking demos and mixology classes. Poolside bands play various music on sail-aways and sea days. The New York Times-sponsored Explorations Cafe is ship's active hub throughout the day and evening. It holds more than 2,000 books plus a host of periodicals and DVD library. There are write-on/wipe-off crossword puzzle tables, touch-screen interactive maps and a cubby of puzzles and games. An adjacent card room and computer/Internet stations are also available. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of ms Maasdam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Promenade Deck, Walking Track (jogging is not permitted)
- The Showroom at Sea (600-seat theatre/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via a partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Room (42-seat meeting room, hosts digital workshops via Microsoft partnership, computer classes, social networks, blogging, photo editing)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Wine Tasting Bar, Gourmet Shops (bottles available for purchasing, wine sampling)
- Wajang Theatre & Culinary Arts Centre (210-seat cinema; offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Atrium Terrace with boutiques; Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Ocean Bar (121-seat Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar and Sports Bar)
- Hudson Room (60-seat meeting room; used as Cards Room)
- Half Moon Room (90-seat meeting room)
- MIX Lounge (has 3 parts, with live music and trivia games)
- Explorations Cafe (85-seat speciality coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (61-seat lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (24-seat club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 2 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar
- Crow’s Nest (291-seat observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Tennis Court; Basketball Court; Shuffleboard
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- The Oasis (40-seat teen-only outdoor area).
Aegean Myth - user reviews and comments
Photos of Aegean MythAdd Photo
Aegean Myth ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The Greek fast ferry company Seajets is the new shipowner of the recently sold HAL-Holland America Line ships ms Maasdam and ms Veendam. Seajets is...August 30, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The Carnival Corporation-owned company HAL-Holland America Line announced that its cruise liners Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Maasdam and Veendam are sold...July 16, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The CEO of the world’s largest cruise company, Carnival Corporation, on Friday (July 10) revealed that its 9 cruise brands would remove 13...July 11, 2020
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line extended its cruise suspension, issuing a list of cancelled Hawaii, Panama Canal, US Pacific Coastal and South American...June 12, 2020
Carnival Corporation-owned companies Princess, Holland America and Seabourn extended fleetwide passenger shipping operations through and...April 16, 2020
Holland America Line's liner ms Maasdam arrived at Port San Diego on Thursday, March 26, with 800+ passengers. San Diego Port Authority...March 27, 2020
Two cruise liners are due to dock at Honolulu Harbor Hawaii at the end of the week but their passengers will not be allowed to disembark. Both...March 19, 2020
The Hawke's Bay Rescue Helicopter service was brought into an emergency involving a cruise ship off the east coast of the North Island. A long-haul...February 5, 2020
- Cruise Industry
In a first for the region, Port Nelson NZ will see the arrival of 2 simultaneous cruise ships on Sunday, January 26. The two liners, RSSC-Regent's...January 24, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Holland America Line announced new itineraries for the 2019-2020 cruising season aboard ms Maasdam. Ranging from 7- to 30-days, MS Maasdam cruise...September 21, 2019
- show more news
Other Seajets Cruise Line cruise ships
Aegean Myth Wiki
Maasdam is Holland America's S-class vessel and fleet's 3rd oldest ship (2nd in its class) with sisterships Veendam (now Aegean Majesty), Ryndam (Pacific Aria, now Aegean Goddess), Statendam (Vasco da Gama). Named after Maas River (Holland), ship's Inaugural Cruise/Maiden Voyage was on January 1, 1993. When launched, these liners were some of the most advanced passenger ships in the world.
Maasdam is HAL's 5th vessel with this name. Each cruise suite has a private balcony. In the Atrium is located the "Totem" sculpture (by Luciano Vistosi) consisting of 2000+ pieces of glass. Ship's expansive art collection includes 7x Japanese iron teapots and 1x charcoal brazier (all are from Japan's Edo period).
(Holland America) MS Maasdam refurbishment 2018 review
During drydock 2018 (August 31 - September 9, done at Freeport Bahamas) the Maasdam vessel received the following Suite cabin upgrades:
- furnishings (sofas, chairs, headboards), carpeting, wall coverings, privacy curtains, draperies, bed runners, bed skirts, (vanity), new make-up vanities (quartz stone tops, modern lighting), dressers, dressing tables, nightstands, LED reading lights, wardrobes (with lighted closet rod)
- cabin decors and amenities (espresso coffee machine, binoculars, free mimosas with in-cabin breakfasts)
- USB outlet (on the bed's headboard), power outlets, LED ceiling lights
- BOSE SoundDock (iPod stations)
- interactive HDTV system (Internet capabilities, free movies on demand)
- All Suite bathrooms were also renovated.
Maasdam ship's 2018 refurbishment was part of Holland America Line's USD 300 million fleet renovation program (scheduled for 2016-2018) that also included updating onboard entertainment, dining and suites fleetwide.
In 2016, Holland America updated MS Maasdam's shipboard programming (enrichment, entertainment and children) replacing the old "Dancing With the Stars" with "BBC Earth" content.
- The ship's theatre lounge started hosting daily expert lectures, presentations, a nature-themed game show with BBC Earth screenings and introductions by the crews that filmed these series. A signature concert in the evenings was based on the "Frozen Planet" program (polar regions-themed) - a spectacular multimedia show with live musicians.
- The ship's children (Club HAL) facilities featured an explorer trail, workshops (including on journalism and filming), fact shows (animals, dinosaurs).
Holland America themed cruises featured access to the BBC Earth series creators, sharing behind-the-scenes media and stories. Children had the opportunity to participate in filming workshops.
Aegean Myth User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review