Costa Atlantica current position
Costa Atlantica current location is at South East Asia (coordinates 2.14258 N / 104.70075 E) cruising en route to TNJNG.BRKT ANCHRGG. The AIS position was reported 17 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Costa Atlantica
|Year built||2000 / Age: 21|
|Builder||Kvaerner Masa-Yards (Helsinki, STX Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 335 million|
|Operator||CSSC Carnival China Cruise Shipping Ltd|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||292 m / 958 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||85619 gt|
|Passengers||2210 - 2652|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Sister-ships||Costa Mediterranea, Carnival Legend, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Pride, Carnival Spirit|
|Christened by||Claudia Cardinale (for Costa Cruises)|
Costa Atlantica Review
Review of Costa Atlantica
Launched in 2000, Costa Atlantica is the first of the two Spirit-class Costa ships - together with Costa Mediterranea. In 2020-Q1, Costa Atlantica left Costa Cruises fleet to start operations for the new Chinese company CSSC Carnival China Cruise Shipping - officially since January 13, 2020.
In 2020-Q3, Atlantica was joined by Mediterranea. In 2023, CSSC's fleet will be joined by a 133,500-ton (Vista-class) newbuild.
History - construction and ownership
Costa Cruises is a Genoa-headquartered subsidiary company owned by Carnival Corporation. Costa was founded in 1854 as a cargo shipping company and started passenger shipping services in 1947, with regularly scheduled Transatlantic crossings between Europe (Italy) and South America. In 2000, Costa was acquired by Carnival Corporation.
CSSC-Carnival Cruise Shipping was founded in October 2015 and started operations in 2020. The company is a joint venture between Carnival Corporation and China Merchants Group Ltd (Hong Kong-headquartered Chinese state-owned corporation, 1972-founded). Most of CSSC (Carnival China) is owned by the Chinese shareholders (60%) and the remainder by Carnival (40%). The Chinese shareholders include CIC (China Investment Corporation) and CSSC (China State Shipbuilding Corporation).
The 2210-passenger ship Costa Atlantica has a huge impact on her passengers the minute they walk into ship's soaring 10-deck atrium, with its eye-popping colors and glass lifts fringed with flashing lights rocketing up and down. This high-level energy ambiance is softened with the classics: Carrara marble and Byzantine mosaics - pieces of Italy's classical Roman, Baroque, and Renaissance eras - with Murano glass counterpoints, all tied along with the signature of a master whose work is symbolic of post-World War II Italy, filmmaker Federico Fellini. Every deck of Costa Atlantica cruise liner is named for one of his films: Deck 2 is La Dolce Vita; Deck 3 is named La Strada, and so on.
Besides the ship's staff and crew, Costa cruise passengers are also served by Peper robots - the latest cyborg technology implemented fleetwide in 2016. These humanoid robots greet and guide passengers upon embarkation. They also assist them throughout the cruise by providing information and tips on onboard dining, entertainment, enrichment program (workshops, pre-scheduled events), casino and shopping promotions, shore excursions and tours. Pepper robots are mobile and communicate in 3 languages (English, German, Italian). They can also interpret human emotions by analyzing voice tones and facial expressions.
Costa's last drydock refurbishment of the Atlantica ship was in 2015.
Cruise itinerary program
For Costa Cruises, Costa Atlantica itinerary program was based on seasonal roundtrip cruises from Dubai UAE (8-day, round-trip). The ship was also deployed in East Asia with homeporting in Shanghai China and Singapore.
Costa Atlantica staterooms (1109 total) include 52x Suites, 620x Balcony, 179x Oceanview and 228x Inside cabins, in all 14 cabin grades. Most staterooms are 185-f2 (17 m2) Balcony - and 64% of all staterooms are with step-out balconies. Wheelchair-accessible cabins are 8. The largest accommodations on the ship are the Grand Suites - sized 365 ft2 (34 m2) plus the terrace (280 ft2 / 27 m2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The glittering 2-deck Tiziano Restaurant is the main dining venue aboard Costa Atlantica, serving all 3 meals at traditionally fixed sittings. The MDR is longer than wide due to the placement of the ship's galley along the side walls. Choices for seating range from a handful of 2- and 4-tops to a number of bigger tables, including more for 8, or more than it's typical on American cruise ships. With the hard surfaces of the room, the noise level can be prodigious, as tables are placed very close. Though guests may choose a table at breakfast and lunch and don't need to dine at their regular sitting time, Atlantica still maintains formal seating times. The doors are being closed a half-hour after the beginning of the first seating and reopened at the regular time for the second seating. Such a schedule is also maintained on port days when the volume is minimal. Costa Atlantica also offers complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service.
Follows the complete list of Costa Atlantica restaurants and food bars.
- Wellness Restaurant (serves healthy and low-calorie food; with complimentary dining room for guests in Wellness cabins, and a specialty restaurant for other passengers at a surcharge/reservations are required)
- Ristorante Tiziano (1320-seat aft Dining Room, complimentary; serves open seating breakfast and lunch, 2 fixed dinner seatings - at 6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.)
- Ristorante Buffet Botticelli (self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary; offers breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea at 4-5:00 p.m., and dinner; in the evening is transformed into Pizzeria Napoli, complimentary, with waiter service)
- Club Atlantica (123-seat, 2-tiered dinner restaurant; reservations-only)
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
There are three notable venues on Costa Atlantica: the Coral Lounge, Caffe Florian and Dante's Disco. Florian is a clone of its Baroque-era namesake in Venice's St.Mark's Square, down to the wall and ceiling artwork and table placement. It's a nice spot to meet with friends for a glass of cappuccino and one of the most intimate lounges onboard. Atlantica's Coral Lounge is placed on the very bottom deck, and is an evocative alternate performance nightclub, carrying the sense of being at the bottom of the ocean. Dante's is a wonderful atmospheric disco. The bar and the cocktail tables are on the entrance level on Deck 2. One deck down, special effects machines fill the area of dancing with dense, smoky fog.
Follows the complete list of Costa Atlantica lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Salone delle Feste Corallo (355-seat "Coral Parties" bar lounge with live music and entertainment)
- Discoteca Dante (154-seat 2-tiered Disco Nightclub and bar lounge with DJ program nightly)
- Teatro Caruso (950-seat, 3-tiered theatre, and main show lounge; hosts grand scale show productions, musicals, classical concerts, ballet performances, circus shows)
- Piazza Madama Butterfly (lounge with a dance floor, served by Madama Butterfly bar)
- Sala Carte (cards room)
- Casino Fortuna (served by the Fortuna bar)
- Atrio La Dolce Vita (10-deck high Atrium with 3 panoramic glass elevators, live music; served by Dolce Vita Bar)
- Lounge Via Veneto (stage, dance floor, and bar)
- Sala via Veneto (jazz bar lounge)
- Terrazza Giardino (Garden Terrace, glass-roofed)
- Biblioteca and Internet Point (Library/computers room)
- Caffe Florian (specialty champagne, wine and coffee bar; a copy of the Venetian Caffe Florian)
- Piazza San Marco (lounge area served by Florian bar; with grand piano and dance floor)
- Negozi Via Della Spiga (duty and tax-free shops for brand watches, jewelry, perfumes, fashion clothes, Costa-logo merchandise, sportswear, gifts, tobacco, and liquor)
- Galleria Foto (Photo Gallery and Shop); Art Gallery
- Sala Paparazzi; Paparazzi Lounge and Bar
- Mondo Virtuale (Video Games Arcade)
- Cappella (Wedding Chapel, also used for religious services)
- Squok Club (kids lounge with Mini Club (3-6 yo) and Maxi Club (7-11 yo) playing rooms; with complimentary kids programme and supervised activities; complimentary babysitting)
- Teen Zone (teenagers' lounge with Teen Junior (12-14 yo) and Teen Club (15-17 yo) rooms; complimentary supervised activities, themed parties, sports contests)
- Terme Ischia (2-level Spa and Wellness complex, with Palestra Olympia gym, Sala Olympia aerobics room; Venus Beauty Salon; Treatment Rooms; UVA Solarium; Relaxation Room; Aroma Steam Rooms; Saunas; Turkish Bath and Hydrotherapy pool; Wellness cabins receive free access to all Spa facilities)
- Solarium (the largest open-air area onboard; served by Solarium Bar)
- Lido Ginger and Fred Pools area (with 2 swimming pools, 2 Whirlpools, tennis tables, and foosball; served by Ginger and Fred Bar)
- Lido Aurora Pool area (with 1 Whirlpool; served by Aurora Bar); Lido Pinocchio (mini pool for kids)
- Toboga Waterslide
- Campo da Gioco (combined court for tennis and basketball); Pista da Jogging (Power Walking/Jogging Track); Deck Games area (table tennis, shuffleboard).
Costa Atlantica - user reviews and comments
Photos of Costa AtlanticaAdd Photo
Costa Atlantica ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
200 Indonesian crew members from Costa Cruises liners anchored off the coast of Manila (Luzon Island, Philippines) were repatriated Thursday evening...July 11, 2020
The CSSC Carnival China Cruise Shipping-owned liner Costa Atlantica left Port Nagasaki Japan on Sunday, May 31, after all its tested negative for...May 31, 2020
- Cruise Industry
A group of nearly 130 Filipino and other crew left a CSSC-Carnival China-owned cruise ship docked in Japan for their home countries on Tuesday, May 5...May 5, 2020
Japanese health officials confirmed on Monday, April 27, a total of 148 Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases on the CSSC Carnival China-owned...April 28, 2020
On April 22, Japan's Nagasaki Prefecture officials announced 33 confirmed Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases on the CSSC Carnival China-owned cruise...April 24, 2020
On April 22, Japan's Nagasaki Prefecture officials announced 33 confirmed Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases on the SSC Carnival China-owned cruise liner...April 22, 2020
Several cruise companies cancelled sailings due to the ongoing situation in China because of coronavirus. Costa Asia, MSC and Royal Caribbean...January 26, 2020
- Cruise Industry
CSSC Carnival Cruise Shipping, the joint venture between the largest Chinese shipbuilding company China State Shipbuilding Corp. and the US-based...January 14, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The mass-market cruise company Costa Cruises by May 2021 will sell 5 of fleet's oldest ships, including two Europe-based vessels and 2 Costa Asia...October 7, 2019
- Cruise Industry
The contracts sealing the agreements announced in February last year, concerning the building of 2 cruise ships for "CSSC Carnival Cruise Shipping...November 6, 2018
- show more news
Other CSSC Carnival China Cruise Shipping cruise ships
Costa Atlantica Wiki
Among ship's main features is the 10-deck Atrium with glass elevators. The interior combines Roman, Renaissance, and Baroque styles. All decks are named after Federico Fellini's movies; decorated with Carrara marble and Murano glass tiles, paintings by Milo Manara; a replica of the "Caffe Florian" (Venice).
The ship arrived in Singapore for the first time on May 3, 2013, joining in Asia Costa Victoria. In the period May-June 2013, Atlantica's itinerary program offered 3- and 4-day roundtrips from Singapore to ports in Thailand and Malaysia. In June, the liner was homeported in Keelung (Taiwan) for two 5-day roundtrips to Japan and South Korea. In the period July-December 2013, the ship was homeported in Shanghai (China) for 4- and 5-day roundtrips to Japan and South Korea, visiting Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Kobe, Cheju, Busan, Incheon. The list of Costa Asia ships in 2017 also included Fortuna, neoRomantica, Serena and Victoria.
On November 30, 2016, Costa Atlantica started a 46-day World Cruise itinerary to the South Pacific, leaving roundtrip from Tianjin China with 2000+ passengers. The liner visited ports on 2 continents, including 12 islands in 9 different countries. The itinerary's main destinations were Vanuatu, Tonga, French Polynesia, American Samoa, New Caledonia, PNG-Papua New Guinea.