Marella Explorer current position
Current itinerary of Marella Explorer
Marella Explorer current cruise is 7 days, round-trip Idyllic Italia. Prices start from USD 989 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 13 May, 2022 and ends on 20 May, 2022.
Specifications of Marella Explorer
|Year built||1996 / Age: 26|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 320 million|
|Engines (power)||MAN B&W (29.3 MW / 39292 hp)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||264 m / 866 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||76998 gt|
|Passengers||1924 - 2681|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Sister-ships||Marella Explorer 2, Mein Schiff Herz (TUI)|
|Former names||TUI Explorer, TUI Mein Schiff 1, Celebrity Galaxy, MV Galaxy|
|Christened by||Ina Muller (TUI)|
|Owner||TUI AG and RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd)|
|Operator||Marella Cruises (UK)|
Marella Explorer Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2022 Apr 25||11 days, one-way from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria to Corfu Island||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1313|
|2022 Apr 26||10 days, one-way from Santa Cruz de Tenerife to Corfu Island||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1213|
|2022 May 06||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1040|
|2022 May 13||7 days, round-trip Idyllic Italia||Corfu Island||$989|
|2022 May 20||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1052|
|2022 May 27||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$1375|
|2022 Jun 03||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1152|
|2022 Jun 10||7 days, round-trip Iconic Islands||Corfu Island||$1429|
|2022 Jun 17||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1178|
|2022 Jun 24||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$1366|
|2022 Jul 01||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1316|
|2022 Jul 08||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$1604|
|2022 Jul 15||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1316|
|2022 Jul 22||7 days, round-trip Iconic Islands||Corfu Island||$1563|
|2022 Jul 29||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1487|
|2022 Aug 05||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$1802|
|2022 Aug 12||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1627|
|2022 Aug 19||7 days, round-trip Iconic Islands||Corfu Island||$1802|
|2022 Aug 26||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1538|
|2022 Sep 02||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$1919|
|2022 Sep 09||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1793|
|2022 Sep 16||7 days, round-trip Iconic Islands||Corfu Island||$2031|
|2022 Sep 23||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1542|
|2022 Sep 30||7 days, round-trip Idyllic Italia||Corfu Island||$1391|
|2022 Oct 07||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1604|
|2022 Oct 14||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$1542|
|2022 Oct 21||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$1475|
|2022 Oct 28||11 days, one-way from Corfu Island to Santa Cruz de Tenerife||Corfu Island||$1562|
|2022 Oct 28||10 days, one-way from Corfu Island to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||Corfu Island||$1381|
|2022 Nov 07||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1248|
|2022 Nov 08||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1225|
|2022 Nov 14||7 days, round-trip Island Explorer||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1236|
|2022 Nov 15||7 days, round-trip Island Explorer||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1091|
|2022 Nov 21||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1116|
|2022 Nov 22||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1116|
|2022 Nov 28||7 days, round-trip Island Explorer||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1116|
|2022 Nov 29||7 days, round-trip Island Explorer||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1116|
|2022 Dec 05||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1014|
|2022 Dec 06||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1014|
|2022 Dec 12||7 days, round-trip Island Explorer||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1001|
|2022 Dec 13||7 days, round-trip Island Explorer||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$975|
|2022 Dec 19||7 days, round-trip A Canarian Christmas||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1745|
|2022 Dec 20||7 days, round-trip A Canarian Christmas||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1745|
|2022 Dec 26||7 days, round-trip A New Years Dream||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$2221|
|2022 Dec 27||7 days, round-trip A New Years Dream||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$2130|
|2023 Jan 02||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1171|
|2023 Jan 03||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1142|
|2023 Jan 09||7 days, round-trip Colourful Coasts||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1116|
|2023 Jan 10||7 days, round-trip Colourful Coasts||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1116|
|2023 Jan 16||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1142|
|2023 Jan 17||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1142|
|2023 Jan 23||7 days, round-trip Colourful Coasts||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1116|
|2023 Jan 24||7 days, round-trip Colourful Coasts||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1116|
|2023 Jan 30||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1142|
|2023 Jan 31||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1142|
|2023 Feb 06||7 days, round-trip Colourful Coasts||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1142|
|2023 Feb 07||7 days, round-trip Colourful Coasts||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1142|
|2023 Feb 13||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1193|
|2023 Feb 14||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1193|
|2023 Feb 20||7 days, round-trip Colourful Coasts||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1219|
|2023 Feb 21||7 days, round-trip Colourful Coasts||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1219|
|2023 Feb 27||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1219|
|2023 Feb 28||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1219|
|2023 Mar 06||7 days, round-trip Atlantic Islands||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1219|
|2023 Mar 07||7 days, round-trip Atlantic Islands||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1219|
|2023 Mar 13||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1219|
|2023 Mar 14||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1219|
|2023 Mar 20||7 days, round-trip Atlantic Islands||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1219|
|2023 Mar 21||7 days, round-trip Atlantic Islands||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1219|
|2023 Mar 27||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1219|
|2023 Mar 28||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1219|
|2023 Apr 03||7 days, round-trip Atlantic Islands||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1437|
|2023 Apr 04||7 days, round-trip Atlantic Islands||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1437|
|2023 Apr 10||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1437|
|2023 Apr 11||7 days, round-trip Canarian Flavours||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1437|
|2023 Apr 17||7 days, round-trip Atlantic Islands||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1295|
|2023 Apr 18||7 days, round-trip Atlantic Islands||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1295|
|2023 Apr 24||11 days, one-way from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria to Corfu Island||Las Palmas de Gran Canaria||$1733|
|2023 Apr 25||10 days, one-way from Santa Cruz de Tenerife to Corfu Island||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$1668|
|2023 May 12||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$1655|
|2023 May 26||7 days, round-trip Iconic Islands||Corfu Island||$1925|
|2023 Jun 09||7 days, round-trip Ionian Gems||Corfu Island||$1912|
|2023 Jun 16||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$2002|
|2023 Jun 23||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$2053|
|2023 Jun 30||7 days, round-trip Adriatic Explorer||Corfu Island||$2014|
|2023 Jul 07||7 days, round-trip Iconic Islands||Corfu Island||$1874|
|2023 Jul 21||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$2143|
|2023 Aug 04||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$2027|
|2023 Aug 18||7 days, round-trip Iconic Islands||Corfu Island||$2065|
|2023 Sep 01||7 days, round-trip Ionian Gems||Corfu Island||$2014|
|2023 Sep 15||7 days, round-trip Iconic Islands||Corfu Island||$2118|
|2023 Sep 29||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$1809|
|2023 Oct 13||7 days, round-trip Aegean Shores||Corfu Island||$1796|
Marella Explorer Review
Review of Marella Explorer
The 1996-built (as "Celebrity Galaxy") cruise ship Marella Explorer 1 was previously operated as "Mein Schiff 1" by TUI Cruises. Schiff 1 was TUI fleet's oldest liner, with sisterships the old Mein Schiff 2 (former Celebrity Mercury, since 2018 Mein Schiff Herz) and the fleetmate Marella Explorer 2 (fka Celebrity Century). The vessel entered Thomson's (Marella) fleet in 2017 under the name "TUI Explorer", but in October was renamed to "Marella Explorer". In 2018, the newbuild TUI Mein Schiff 1 took the name "Schiff 1".
History - construction and ownership
Marella Cruises (formerly Thomson Cruises UK) is a British passenger shipping company and trademarked travel brand owned by TUI Group. The company entered the cruise market in 1973 via Thomson Holidays (now TUI UK), but due to rising fuel costs, this service was terminated in 1976. Thomson Cruises restarted passenger shipping operations in 1995. The Thomson brand was renamed to "Marella Cruises" in 2018. Marella's parent company (TUI Group) owns hotels, the sister-companies TUI Cruises, Marella Cruises, Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, the travel brands International Expeditions and Zegrahm Expeditions, also aircraft and the airlines Corsair International (France), TUI Airways (UK), TUI fly Nordic (Sweden), TUI fly Belgium, TUI fly Deutschland, TUI fly the Netherlands.
The 1900-passenger ship was built for the Royal Caribbean’s Celebrity Cruises company, renamed to "Celebrity Galaxy" in 2008 and joined TUI fleet in 2009 after an extensive drydock refit. The vessel entered Marella's fleet in 2017. Mein Schiff 1 was one of TUI's two oldest Century-class vessels - followed by Mein Schiff 2 (former "Celebrity Mercury", in 2018 renamed Mein Schiff Herz) and Celebrity Century (now Marella Explorer 2).
The Explorer joined Marella Cruises fleet as the 3rd vessel transferred from other RCCL-owned fleets. It was preceded by Marella Discovery (2015, former Splendour of the Seas) and Marella Discovery 2 (2017, former Legend of the Seas) and followed by TUI Explorer 2 (2018, the old Mein Schiff 2).
Marella Explorer features a new-for-the-fleet kids pool, an innovative entertainment program, 10 dining venues. Another first for Marella Cruises is the tasting menu-type restaurant in one of the brand new yet-unnamed venues, described as "an intimate space, suited for couples or friends".
The Indigo flagship bar is the ship's focal point. A new high-end London-style drinking venue named Aperitif links Kora La and Surf & Turf restaurants. Other features include The Scoops ice-cream parlor with bicycle-themed quirky seating; The Lounge - another new venue with a color-changing bar and brightly-colored piano; Umi Sushi counter; The Mediterranean dining venue with a glass roof inspired by local tavernas, housing two inclusive restaurants (pizzeria and tapas) and for-fee Hot Stone Grill.
Decks and Cabins
Of all Marella Explorer staterooms (962 total), ~40% have private steop-out balconies. All cabins are with individual air-conditioning, wardrobes, smart HDTV, hairdryer, tea-coffee-making facilities, en-suite bathrooms. Accommodation types include:
- Indoor (16 m2, fleet's largest), Outdoor (17 m2), Single Indoor / Outdoor cabins (Decks 4, 5, 8, 9)
- Balcony cabins (17 m2), 14x Family Balcony (20 m2; decks 9, 10, 12, each with 2 twin beds)
- Suites - Balcony Junior Suite (22 m2) and Executive Suite (49 m2)
The boat has 13 decks, of which 10 are passenger-accessible and 6 are with cabins.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Marella Explorer has a total of 10 dining venues, including Surf & Turf, Kora La, Snack Shack, Umi Sushi and open-air Mediterranean Restaurant with Pizza and Tapas areas. The Kora La features Oriental-style lanterns and paintings paired with a pan-Asian menu of noodle dishes and curries. This is a fine dining addition and there is a small premium to eat here.
Ship's dining venues are located on decks 5, 6, 7 and 11. Follows the complete list of Marella Explorer restaurants and food bars.
- Latitude 53 (situated aft on decks 5 and 6) is the main waiter service restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows and gold-and-grey color scheme.
- Vista Restaurant (Deck 5, situated in Latitude 53) in the evening transforms into an Italian restaurant for regional favorites prepared with authentic ingredients.
- The Dining Club on Deck 5 is a fine dining restaurant that serves experimental cuisine. There is a charge to dine here.
- Umi Sushi on Deck 7 serves sushi, sashimi, nigiri rolls that are prepared in front of the guests of the eatery. Umi Sushi is open for dinner only, and costs extra.
- Kora La on Deck 7 has oriental-style lanterns and paintings paired with a pan-Asian menu. Passengers pay a cover charge to eat here.
- Surf & Turf Steakhouse on Deck 7 specializes in all things meat. Its menu includes mains like lobster, grilled chicken, and pork chops, but the highlight is the 28-day-aged steaks. There is a chopping board artwork as well as leather booth seating. Cover charge is applied for dining here.
- Snack Shack (Deck 11) is a laidback eatery featuring food stalls, oversized deckchairs, and beach huts. It offers grab‘n’go snacks and lunches along with a drinks station.
- The Market Place on Deck 11 is a buffet restaurant where guests can watch the chefs prepare dishes from around the world. It is made up of different food stalls.
- Tapas @ The Mediterranean on Deck 11 is specialized in tapas dishes for both lunch and dinner.
- Italian @ The Mediterranean pizzeria on Deck 11, with wood-fired oven and salad bar.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
A couple of the largest new features aboard the 13-deck Marella Explorer include the flagship bar, club and casino Indigo (situated at the top deck), and the first at sea Champneys Spa. Indigo is home to the longest bar onboard the ship and features the Broadway show lounge able to accommodate 1,000 guests. The Broadway street lounge is on Decks 6 and 7, which also houses other entertainment facilities. The venue hosts cocktail-making sessions and demos. Entertainment facilities include Indigo Club with a DJ booth and dance floor, and the Indigo Casino Lounge with card tables and slot machines.
A pool is situated on deck 11, which also homes the Oceans gym and spa. The spa offers a Finnish sauna with floor-to-ceiling windows, full-service thermal suite and treatment suites with showers and mini saunas, spa cabanas on ship's adults-only Veranda Deck.
Follows the complete list of Marella Explorer lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- The Lounge (Deck 6) has a color-changing feature bar, ring-shaped seats, and hot-pink piano.
- Bar 53 (Deck 5) is an indoor bar lounge (adjacent to Latitude 53), perfectly placed for pre-dinner drinks.
- The Shack on Deck 12 offers cool-down drinks between sunbathing. It is above Snack Shack and overlooks the pool.
- Bar@The Mediterranean on Deck 11 wraps around The Mediterranean and runs from the inside to the outside. It serves Mediterranean specialties, the usual drinks, and frozen cocktails.
- Indigo Bar on Deck 12 boasts the longest bar in the fleet. Cocktail-making sessions and flare demonstrations take place here.
- Broadway Show Lounge is situated on two Decks, 6 and 7, and has a capacity of 1,000 people. It offers waiter service and brand-new shows.
- Indigo Casino on Deck 12 is the spot to try out the card tables and slot machines. Indigo Club is in the middle of Indigo.
- Aperitif on Deck 7 is a stylish bar with Champagne and Prosecco on the menu. It is a great spot to head for a drink before or after meals at one of the specialty restaurants.
- Squid & Anchor on Deck 7 is the first pub of Marella Cruises at sea. There are 2 bars to pick from, one of which deals in premium whiskies and gins, that are chargeable. The spot is home to quiz nights and a live band.
- Scoops is a vintage-looking parlor that serves up gelato. The seating is quirky and includes a collection of bike seats sit that face out to sea. A charge is applied here.
- The Coffee Port serves Lavazza and sweet treats. It overlooks the atrium and features live piano music. A charge is applied here.
- The Cinema features family-friendly films. Extra screenings are offered during high season.
- M Club is the onboard Kids’ Club, with games from M Crew - characters exclusive to the ship.
- Hideout is a spot designed with older children and teens in mind and offers comfy seating and games consoles. There is also an alfresco terrace with colorful hammocks.
- Gamer Zone is for everyone onboard, fully stocked with machines.
- Broad Street Shops are the onboard boutiques stocked with everyday essentials, duty-free products, perfumes, jewelry, and souvenirs.
- Photo Studio & Kiosks on Deck 6 provides professional photoshoot. There are also kiosks, where passengers can view and buy the photos captured by the onboard photography team.
- Outdoor swimming pool on Deck 11 is split in two by a stage, where the entertainment team run daily activities. The Pool bar sits next to the pool and is great for frozen cocktails. A trio of whirlpools sits next to the main pool.
- The Attic (Library/reading corner)
- The Veranda is adults-only and has Balinese beds and cocoon chairs.
- Sports Court provides basketball and mini-football.
- Minigolf and Table tennis is at the top of the ship, on the Sports & Family Deck.
Champneys: Marella Cruises partnered with Champneys to bring such a state-of-the-art spa. Guests can book in for treatments (facials, body wraps, massages), plus there is a beauty salon. The spa is the largest in the fleet and also includes a relaxation room, treatment cabins with hot tubs, made-for-two suites. The adults-only sauna has floor-to-ceiling windows and a steam room. Alternatively, passengers can work out at the gym.
Marella Explorer 1 itinerary program was initially based on Western Mediterranean 7-night roundtrips from Palma de Mallorca (Balearic Spain). Among the call ports were popular French Riviera ports. The itineraries were themed as:
- "Cosmopolitan Classics" (Palermo Sicily, Livorno-Florence, Villefranche-Nice, Palamos Spain)
- "Highlights Of The Mediterranean" (Ajaccio Corsica, Civitavecchia-Rome, Marina di Carrara Italy, Saint Raphael France, Barcelona)
- "Magic Of Spain" (Cadiz, Lisbon, Gibraltar, Malaga, Cartagena)
- "Mediterranean Secrets" (Porto Torres Sardinia, La Spezia, Calvi Corsica, Sete France, Tarragona Spain)
Following the Coronavirus crisis, in 2021 Marella Explorer 1 restarted operations on June 25, with UK itineraries and homeporting in Southampton England. Winter 2021-2022 program was scheduled for the Canaries with roundtrips from Santa Cruz de Tenerife and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
Summer 2022 program was for Adriatic and Greece itineraries leaving roundtrip from Corfu Greece.
Marella Explorer - user reviews and comments
Photos of Marella ExplorerAdd Photo
Marella Explorer ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Successfully was completed the extensive 4-week drydock refurbishment of Marella UK's ship Marella Explorer, at Navantia's Puerto Real shipyard...January 6, 2022
- Cruise Industry
TUI-owned Marella Cruises UK is expected to add a 5th ship to its fleet in 2023. The new Marella Voyager will be converted from the existing Century...October 14, 2021
- Cruise Industry
The Port of Southampton England UK had its busiest month of the year to date for cruises, with a pair of consecutive 5 cruise ship weekends during...August 21, 2021
Protesters held a demonstration alongside liners anchored in Torbay UK (England) amid claims they are damaging the environment. South Devon and...April 19, 2021
- Cruise Industry
TUI Marella Cruises started selling summer voyages around the British Isles on Friday, April 16. The cruise company plans to join the armada of...April 17, 2021
A crew from one of the anchored at Torbay England UK cruise liners has been brought ashore for medical treatment after being taken ill onboard...March 4, 2021
- Cruise Industry
TUI's UK-based brand Marella Cruises' winter 2021 itinerary program has gone on sale from September 10. The company revealed details of new...September 16, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Marella Cruises UK announced its plans to welcome passengers back onboard its liners when the UK Government travel advice changes. Customers can book...August 13, 2020
- Cruise Industry
TUI UK's brand Marella Cruises announced that due to the ongoing travel restrictions because of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, the company is...July 24, 2020
- Cruise Industry
An incredible video has captured 10 cruise liners anchored in Weymouth Bay (off Isle of Portland, Dorset England) and at Portland Harbour on Saturday...July 23, 2020
- show more news
Other Marella Cruises cruise ships
Marella Explorer Wiki
During its pre-Marella service (May 15, 2009, through April 11, 2018), the liner served its previous operators for 8 years and 11 months, or a total of 3254 days.
TUI Mein Schiff 1 was built in Papenburg Germany for Celebrity Cruises (another RCCL brand) as MV Galaxy (later "Celebrity Galaxy"). In May 2009 the vessel was transferred to the fleet of the Royal Caribbean's TUI subsidiary line. The vessel was renamed in Hamburg, Germany, to "Mein Schiff" (meaning "my ship") on 15 May 2009. Godmother of the newly refurbished for the staggering EUR 50-million vessel became Ina Muller - a renowned German artist and TV personality. Of the same class is also the former Celebrity Mercury cruise ship (Mein Schiff 2 / now Mein Schiff Herz).
Fun fact is, that when operated as "Galaxy", the ship hosted the BBC TV's docu-soap titled "The Cruise".
Marella Explorer refurbishment 2021 review
The boat's 4-week drydock refurbishment in December 2021 (at Navantia's Puerto Real shipyard in Cadiz Spain) was conducted by Trimline Ltd. The project involved 80 specialists, including upholsterers, floor layers, decorators, tilers, polishers, joiners, welders, electricians.
Works included renovations of the two dining rooms (Latitude and Vista restaurants), Indigo Bar & Casino (interactive LED dancefloor), The Mediterranean Bar (all seats and sofas), The Attic (Library), The Hideout (teens venue), Broadway Show Lounge, Cinema, Squid & Anchor (pub), Umi Sushi (food bar), The Lounge, Bar 53, Coffee Port (bar), Snack Shack (fast-food bar), Cruise Holiday Store, Destination Services (lobby area).
The Pool Deck was also renovated.
A total of 60 staterooms were recarpeted.
The ship's entire lighting system was updated/replaced with a new, ultra-high efficiency one that is ~15% more efficient than the LED standard.
Marella Explorer refurbishment 2019 review
In 2019 (October 11 through November 6) the ship was drydocked at DAMEN Shiprepair Brest France).
The USD 25 million drydocking project was managed/supervised by CCS (COLUMBIA Cruise Services Ltd) and included mainly technical maintenance works, machinery upgrades and updates to interior spaces. Hideout (teen lounge on Deck 14) received AstroTurf (artificial grass surface and titled flooring outside) and new furniture (loungers, deckchairs, bar stools).
Marella Explorer refurbishment 2018 review
In 2018, the liner entered drydock in Cadiz Spain (April 20 through May 13) at Navantia shipyard. The 4-week drydocking project was managed by Trimline Ltd / Southampton-based cruise ship interior outfitting company).
During the refit, the vessel received new carpeting (45 km2 / 17 mi), new data cables (over 60 km / 37 mi), 650 wi-fi access points.
A total of 35 venues and public areas were reconstructed and refurbished. Among the new venues installed during the reconstruction were the Flagship Bar, Disco Club, Indigo (entertainment complex), Champneys Spa (first at sea). The new spa has a Finnish sauna with floor-ceiling windows, full-service thermal suite, treatment suites (with showers and their own saunas). Spa cabanas were added to the adults-only The Veranda (Deck 14).
Marella Explorer's christening ceremony was on May 18, 2018 (held in Palma de Mallorca), with two appointed godmothers - Sue Stewart (Marella Cruises' hotel operations manager) and Mandy Galloway (TUI Cruises' retail agent). The inaugural cruise from Palma departed on May 19.
The Apollo Group company was contracted for providing all Marella ships with the entire onboard hotel product and services. This includes administration, food staff (preparation and serving), housekeeping staff, also the vessel's provisioning and crewing. Other luxury cruise lines served by Apollo are Oceania (6 ships fleet) and RSSC-Regent (4 ships fleet).
Like the other fleetmates, Marella Explorer offers an all-inclusive product designed specifically for the UK source market. The ship has a total of 10 dining venues, among which company's signature Surf & Turf, Kora La, Snack Shack, Umi Sushi. The new top-deck bar (Indigo) has panoramic ocean views. In the evenings, Indigo Bar doubles as ship's Casino and disco-nightclub. Another new bar (Aperitif) offers pre- and post-dinner cocktails.
Maiden Voyage 2018
The ship's homeport is Palma de Mallorca (Majorca Island, Spain). The ship is also operated with "UK to Mediterranean" fly-cruise program.
Next table shows the "Inaugural Cruise" (maiden voyage) scheduled for May 19, 2018.
7 nights / 8 days (themed "Cosmopolitan Classics") - prices starting from USD 1000 pp (GBP 1130 pp) double occupancy Inside Cabin rates. The itinerary shows all ports of call in the ship's Mediterranean roundtrip program.
|Date / Time||Port|
|19 May||Departing from Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Spain|
|21 May 08:00 - 18:00||Palermo, Sicily, Italy|
|22 May 07:00 - 17:00||Naples, Italy|
|23 May 09:00 - 19:00||Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy|
|24 May 07:00 - 18:00||Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, France|
|25 May 09:00 - 18:00||Palamos, Spain|
|26 May||Arriving in Palma de Mallorca|
(OLD / alte) TUI Mein Schiff 1 cruise ship
The TUI ship's itinerary program was based on Eastern and Southern Caribbean cruises leaving from Barbados and Dominican Republic. Other operational regions included Europe (Mediterranean departures out of Palma de Mallorca, and Baltic Sea from Hamburg) and Asia (leaving roundtrip from Singapore).
The old Mein Schiff 1 had a total of 962 staterooms, including suites, junior suites, balconied family cabins, balcony rooms, oceanview and inside. In addition, there were barrier-free staterooms. All cabins as amenities offered safe, air-conditioning, bathroom (WC / shower), minibar, phone, flat TV. Family cabins with veranda were sized 20 m2 with capacity up to 5 passengers.
The ship's main dining room was the aft-located, 2-deck Atlantic Restaurant (capacity 950 seats). The other main dining option was the complimentary Anckelmannsplatz Buffet. Room service was available 24 hours.
Follows the complete list of Mein Schiff 1 restaurants and food bars.
- "Atlantic Classic" (950-seat, complimentary main dining room (of all three) for buffet-style Breakfast and waiter-served Lunch and Dinner. Some menu inclusions are at extra charge
- "Richards Fine Dining (70-seat dinner restaurant, reservations required, at surcharge PP)
- Surf & Turf (specialty seafood and steakhouse restaurant)
- Blaue Welt Bar (45-seat sushi bar at surcharge, dinner-only 6:30 - 11:00 p.m.)
- Anckelmannsplatz buffet restaurant (412-seat, with a partially covered outdoor area for al-fresco dining; complimentary, self-service, with various food stations)
- GOSCH Sylt (80-seat complimentary seafood restaurant, a la carte menu; with outdoor seating area)
- Cliff 24 (24-hour, 40-seat complimentary Grill Bar, serving the pool deck area)
- La Vela (66-seat complementary bistro)
- Aussenalster Bar (91-seat complimentary al fresco dining and sports bar).
The primary shipboard entertainment was in the 927-seat Theater (ship's main show lounge) with 2 nightly shows. A 200-seat cinema doubled as a lecture room. Fortunes Casino's gambling options included roulette and blackjack tables and slot machines. The ship's duty-free shops had liquor, tobaccos, jewelry, perfumes, travel essentials, and convenience goods.
The ship had several bars, clubs, and discos, including the Nightclub, the Lounge, Rendezvous Lounge, the cigar bar. Among the onboard activities were computer classes, bingo, trivia games, dancing classes.
Of all 3 swimming pools, 2 were saltwater (with 5 large whirlpools / hot-tubs), and 1 was freshwater (located under the greenhouse-like roof). The Steiner AquaSpa (Japanese-styled) had its own rock garden and offered many personal services, massages, and thalassotherapy. The ship had an extensive art collection on display. Follows the complete list of Mein Schiff 1 lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for adults, kids, and teens.
- Theater (main show lounge for grand-style show productions; with a revolving stage and eight dynamic LED screens)
- Internet computers room
- Wii-Corner (kids/teens gaming arcade)
- Sturmfrei (Teens Lounge featuring video gaming consoles, dance floor, foosball table, activities like karaoke, cooking classes, teen parties, movies, etc.)
- Atelier (Workshop/art studio for painters); Walentowski Art Gallery; Fotogalerie (Photo Gallery); Library/Bibliothek
- Wein & Wahrheit Vinothek (15-seat fine wine shop)
- Aussicht Bar (25-seat night cocktail bar)
- The Neuer Wall shopping arcades
- Blaue Welt Bar & Lounge; Nasch Bar (40-seat); TUI Bar; Abtanz Bar (100-seat disco nightclub); Uberschau Bar (25-seat wellness bar with a "healthy drinks" menu)
- Casino (170-seat; open only during sea days)
- Himmel & Meer Lounge (Suite Guests only); X-Lounge (Suite-guests only lounge)
- SPA & Meer (SPA & Sea complex with a Finnish Sauna, Oriental steam bath, relaxation area, Spa Suites, La Vida Bar, SPA Shop, Beauty Salon)
- Sport & Gesunheit (Sport & Health Fitness Centre; Fitness classes/personal trainers provided at a surcharge)
- Aussenpool (outdoor pool area with a 25 m long swimming pool, extensive sunbathing area, Aussenalster Bar & Grill)
- Insel der Seerauber (Pirates' Island Kids Club complimentary lounge)
- Sun deck area (11,990 m2; the forward section features Entspannungsinseln/Relaxation Islands with mini-balconies, available for rent)
- Outdoor sports area (with a full-size sports court for basketball, volleyball, golf simulator)
- Grune Oase (Green Oasis - outdoor sports area for open-air classes - stretching, relaxation, Yoga, Pilates); Power Walking / Jogging Track
- Lounges & Bars: Ausenalster, Abtanz, Aussicht, Blaue Welt, Nasch, TUI, Unverzicht, Uberschau, La Vida Sana Bar, Himmel & Meer, Casino Lounge, Wein & Wahrheit, X-Lounge.
- Spa, Fitness Center (aerobic classes), jogging track, 3 jacuzzis, 2 outdoor swimming pools (1 with salt water, 1 freshwater /covered), duty-free shops, shop, 927-seat Theater, Casino, Kids Club.
Marella Explorer User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review