Review of Seabourn
Seabourn is a luxury cruise line, founded in 1986, with headquarters in Seattle, Washington. Seabourn Cruise Line operates all around the globe, from short 7-day Caribbean cruises to exotic 100+ day world voyages. It is owned by Carnival Corporation and is part of the "World's Leading Cruise Lines" group, which also includes AIDA Cruises, Carnival Cruises, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and P&O Cruises.
Seabourn Cruise Line was founded in 1986 under the name "Signet Cruise Lines" by a union of Norwegian investors headed by Atle Brynestad. The name Seabourn Cruise Line was adopted shortly afterward following objections over trademark ownership by Signet Oil.
- Seabourn Pride, the first ship of the line, entered service in 1988.
- Pride was followed by Seabourn Spirit, an identical sister, in 1989.
- A third ship, originally planned for 1990, had to be delayed due to financial constraints and was eventually purchased by Royal Viking Line as Royal Viking Queen in 1992.
- In 1994, the ship was transferred to Royal Cruise Line as Queen Odyssey.
- In 1991, Carnival Corp. purchased a 25% stake in Seabourn.
- In 1996 the Corporation upped its stake to 50%, providing the company with the needed capital to buy Queen Odyssey. The ship was renamed Seabourn Legend.
- In 1998, Carnival Corporation purchased the remaining 50% stake in the line, acquired the time-honored Cunard Line from Kvaerner ASA, and finally merged the two brands into the Cunard Line entity.
- In 1999, three ships of Cunard, Royal Viking Sun, Sea Goddess I and Sea Goddess II, were transferred into the fleet of Seabourn as Seabourn Sun, Seabourn Goddess I and Seabourn Goddess II.
- In 2001, Carnival Corporation bought out the Norwegian shareholders. The parent company of Seabourn became Carnival's wholly owned subsidiary.
- Seabourn Goddess I and Seabourn Goddess II were purchased for SeaDream Yacht Club by the original founder of Seabourn, Atle Brynestad.
- In 2002, Seabourn Sun was transferred to Holland America (a Carnival-owned line), reducing the fleet of Seabourn to its three original ships. The company was demerged from Cunard and reorganized as an independent brand of Carnival Corp. & plc.
- On March 31, 2011 Seabourn Cruise Line ceased operations from Miami FL and transferred operations to the quarters of Holland America Line in Seattle WA.
- In 2014 Seabourn Pride left the Seabourn fleet and was transferred as Star Pride to Windstar Cruises.
- In 2015 Seabourn Legend and Seabourn Spirit also left and were transferred to Windstar Cruises as Star Legend and Star Breeze.
Seabourn Cruise Experience
Seabourn Cruise Line was founded on the principle that personal service in stylish surroundings would appeal to independent-minded, sophisticated passengers with lifestyles that demand the best.
The original Seabourn megayachts and their new fleetmates have been lovingly maintained and proved to be a great success over the years. Recognized as a leading small-ship luxury line, Seabourn delivers all extras, expected by its clientele - a stocked minibar in all suites, elegant amenities, complimentary wines and spirits.
Seabourn Cruise Line's guests may also expect the unexpected - from exclusive luggage tags and travel-document portfolios to the pleasure of a complimentary massage while lounging at the pool. Seabourn will even arrange your luggage to be picked up at home and delivered to your suite.
The line presents an intimate and exceptional cruising experience. The smaller size of its vessels allows calling at smaller ports and up-close-and-personal encounter with the destination.
The atmosphere onboard is elegant but unpretentious. All rooms are suites, equipped with designer soaps, and the latest amenities, such as flat-screen televisions and Bose Wave sound systems. A bottle of champagne greets all guests in cabin. Beds are dressed with Egyptian cotton linens and fluffy duvet covers with feather pillows. A well-stocked in-suite bar and Pure Pampering therapeutic bathing menu are provided in each suite. In addition, guests benefit from the services of a Personal Suite Stewardess, ready to cater to every need.
The abundance of public space make passengers feel as if they have the vessel to themselves - no annoying lines or crowds here. Bar drinks are complimentary. Seabourn’s guests may choose to dine when and where they want on any of the luxurious ships of the line. Each dining venue offers a different atmosphere and different dishes, but all use innovative cooking techniques and perfect ingredients like Black River Ossetra Caviar.
Daily team trivia contest, lectures, wine tastings, and other quiet pursuits are usually scheduled, but most passengers are satisfied to just do what pleases them. Focused on personalized service, the line has designed unique programs like Caviar in the Surf and Shopping With the Chef, to further enhance onboard experience.
Seabourn's cruise ships attract a broad mix of ages (40-something and above), and offer a variety of itineraries from more mainstream calls to the offbeat, in order to continue to draw new passengers.
While most of the cruisers are likely to be American, Seabourn appeals to well-off and well-traveled vacationers from a variety of countries, particularly English speaking Great Britain, South Africa and Australia, among others.
For 2016, Seabourn had a total of 22 international cruise travel awards (CruiseMapper news).
Itinerary of Seabourn
In 2016 summer, the finest ultra-luxury cruise line in the world, Seabourn, announced the launching of brand new pre-cruise experiences taking passengers to the South Pole on select Antarctica and Patagonia itineraries during 2016-2017 season.
Cruisers aboard Seabourn Quest, bound for the Great White Continent, can extend their adventure travel with a pair of new packages that also include UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Polar Quest & Patagonia; Polar Quest, Tierra del Fuego & Iguazu Falls.
Both pre-cruise packages include stays in one of the few private seasonally occupied camps in Antarctica, Union Glacier Camp, located in southern Ellsworth Mountains. The full-service camp is operated by renowned land-based operator Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions (ALE), and offers double-occupancy sleeping tents, gourmet cuisine and spectacular setting for activities from technical climbs to scenic excursions. Package rates start at US$50,999 per person, double occupancy.
South America (Antarctica) cruise excursions
In July 2016, Seabourn added new South Pole cruise excursions to the line's South American itinerary program. The new experience is available on select Patagonia and Antarctica cruise itineraries during season 2016-2017 on the Seabourn Quest ship. There are two new (optional) shore excursion packages available for booking, that are price-inclusive of Transantarctic flight to South America plus landing in the South Pole and visiting UNESCO World Heritages Sites.
- 14-night tour itinerary (Polar Quest and Patagonia") visits the "Torres del Paine National Park" (Chile). Departure is on December 4, 2016 and includes the Seabourn Quest ship's cruise on December 19. Package pricing starts at USD 51,000 PP (double occupancy based rates).
- 16-night tour itinerary ("Polar Quest, Tierra del Fuego and Iguazu Falls") starts from Santiago (Chile) to Buenos Aires (Argentina) and visits the Iguazu Falls National Park (touring is by foot, Zodiac boat or helicopter). Departure is on December 26, 2016, before the Seabourn Quest ship's cruise on January 12, 2017. Package pricing starts at USD 54,000 PP (double occupancy based rates).
"Extraordinary Opportunity Event" cruise deals 2017-2018
Seabourn Cruises offers value-added enticements and savings on select itineraries. These discounted deals are available on all bookings through June 13, 2017, on Seabourn itineraries between June 2017 and May 2018. "Extraordinary Opportunity Event" deals offer significant benefits, including:
- Complimentary "Three Veranda Suite" cabin upgrade
- Complimentary "Veranda for Oceanview" cabin upgrade
- "Premium Suite" cabin onboard credit of USD 1000 per stateroom (USD 500 pp / per person)
- Onboard credit of USD 400 per stateroom (USD 200 pp)
- Air credit pp on round-trip flights booked through Seabourn's "Flight Ease" fly-cruise program.
- "Extraordinary Opportunity Event" deals are offered on select itineraries in the regions of Mediterranean, Northern Europe, South America (Antarctica and Patagonia), repositioning cruises (Panama Canal and Transatlantic crossings), Asia, Canada - New England, Caribbean.
Seabourn related cruise news
A woman managed to film a dramatic moment when luxury Seabourn Encore collided with another ship, Milburn Carrier II, in port of Timaru...February 20, 2017
For the first time 4 cruise ships were at the same time in Auckland harbour. That means that 3,500 travellers were yesterday in Auckland...February 19, 2017
The "sexiest ship at sea'' collided with another vessel in Timaru, NZ yesterday. The luxury cruise liner Seabourn Encore arrived in Port of Timaru on...February 13, 2017
Hailed as the "sexiest at sea" the new luxury cruise ship Seabourn Encore is making her first voyage to New Zealand. A 2-week stay costs up...February 4, 2017
Seabourn opened for sale Seabourn Ovation's inaugural season itineraries. Seabourn Ovation is the newest addition to the fleet. Scheduled to launch...January 20, 2017
The finest ultra-luxury cruise line in the world, Seabourn, formally introduced Seabourn Encore to the outside world at a festive evening...January 8, 2017
As 2016 travel awards season came to a close, the world's finest ultra-luxury cruise line, Seabourn, wrapped up the year with 22 industry awards...January 6, 2017
First photos of the soon-to-be-christened, 600-passenger Seabourn Encore have been revealed. Billed as one of the most upscale cruise ships of the...December 9, 2016
The next cruise ship to be added to the fleet of Seabourn, Seabourn Ovation, had her keel laying ceremony yesterday, December 2, at...December 3, 2016
The finest ultra-luxury cruise line in the world, Seabourn, took delivery of its brand new all-suite ship, Seabourn Encore, on Wednesday...December 1, 2016
- show more news