Genting Dream Review and Specifications
Specifications of Genting Dream
|Year built||2016 / Age : 1|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 960 million|
|Owner||(GHK) Genting Hong Kong Ltd|
|Operator||Dream Cruises (Asia)|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||335 m / 1099 ft|
|Beam (width)||39.7 m / 130 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||151300 gt|
|Passengers||3352 - 3400|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Christened by||Puan Sri Cecilia Lim|
Review of Genting Dream
Genting Dream cruise ship is the first vessel in the fleet of the Asian premium cruise line brand Dream Cruises (owned by Genting Hong Kong). The second vessel (sister-ship) World Dream was launched in 2017.
History - construction & ownership
GHK is a global entertainment, hospitality and leisure company based in Hong Kong. It ordered two cruise vessels to be custom-built to serve Asian market, specifically China. With the new Dream Cruises brand, the company concluded its mission to offer a separate brand for each of its cruise market segments, with the other two being Crystal Cruises (luxury segment) and Star Cruises (contemporary segment).
The 151,300-ton, 3,352-passenger cruise ship Genting Dream debuted in November 2016. Sister ship World Dream is scheduled to launch in November 2017. On August 20, 2016 Genting Dream floated out of the covered building dock 2 at Meyer Werft's shipyard in Papenburg Germany.
Dream Cruises claimed place in history on November 14, 2016 when the official Godmother of Genting Dream, Puan Sri Cecilia Lim, wife of Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer of Genting Hong Kong, christened the maiden luxury cruise ship, exclusive Genting Dream, before the assembly of prominent officials from Chinese government as well as top executives from industry and trade.
Cruise itinerary program
Genting Dream will feature triple homeports in Hong Kong, Sanya and Guangzhou (Nansha Port), and target residents of Pearl Delta and Hainan, as well as passengers who fly into the airports of Guangzhou, Macau, Hong Kong, Sanya, Shenzhen and Zhuhai.
Genting Dream itinerary program is based on year-round 2-night weekend sailings from Guangzhou (Nansha Port) each Friday visiting Hong Kong, and 5-night voyages each Sunday visiting Danang (Vietnam), Sanya and Halong Bay (Vietnam). Genting Dream also offers 7-night cruises out of Hong Kong to Guangzhou, Danang, Sanya, Halong Bay and Shenzhen/Zhuhai. Sanya itineraries include 7-night sailings to Guangzhou, Shenzhen/Zhuhai, Halong Bay, Danang and Hong Kong.
The 19-deck Genting Dream has the capacity to accommodate 3,400 cruise passengers and 2,000 crew members, featuring a crew-to-guest ratio of 1:1.7, which is the highest in any Asia Pacific ship. The German-built vessel is designed with spacious interiors. The Dream ship is claimed to become one of the largest and spacious cruise ships in the world. With 1,680 cabins, including outside staterooms and passenger cabins spread over 2 exclusive floors of Dream Suites, the vessel offers a variety of accommodation options for her guests.
The suites measure between 32m²-183m², with around 70% of the staterooms boasting a private balcony and over 100 connecting rooms that provide convenient family vacation. Services to suites include special privileges and European butler service.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Genting Dream features 35 bars and restaurants, offering a wide choice of dining experiences for her guests. The restaurants offer regional cuisines, with emphasis on Chinese and Asian dishes, as well as international flavours like South East Asian, Japanese, Italian and more. A 610 m wrap-around promenade is a special place for dining and offers seaside dining and lounging from early morning to late evening in various themed venues.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Plenty of recreation venues are available aboard Genting Dream, including multiple pool types, 6 water slides, rope climbing course, play rooms, card rooms, mahjong, bowling alley, and duty-free shopping. health and wellness facilities include state-of-the-art Western and Asian spas, health club, beauty salon, barbershop, and enhance guest experience.
Other activities include inspirational speeches and wine tasting to enrich passengers' time at sea.
Each Dream Cruises ship offers unique underwater excursions via 2 mini-submarines (underwater craft). They are able to carry cruise passengers deep under the sea while the ship operates in select Asian destinations. Each minisub carries 1 pilot and up to 4 passengers at a time.
Genting Dream wiki
In January 2017, Dream Cruises announces the inaugural cruise itineraries of the line's first newbuild vessel Genting Dream. The ship will be homeported year-round in Singapore (starting December 3, 2017), making it the first large-sized (151,300 GT tons) cruise ship based there for year-round operations. Genting Dream is a latest generation vessel (built in Germany) and will be calling at more than 10 ports in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam during 2018.
- Beginning December 3rd to the end of March 2017, Dream Cruises offers a range of 2-Nights week-end cruises and alternating 5-Nights Sunday cruises from Singapore to destinations in the Straits of Malacca and in Java Sea. The 5-night "Straits of Malacca Cruise" features the popular Kuala Lumpur-Penang-Phuket itinerary to the launch of a brand new and highly anticipated 5-Night itinerary in Java Sea to Surabaya and North Bali, capable only with the high speed design of the Genting Dream, which can sail at over 23 kn. Passengers can combine both itineraries (Straits of Malacca and Java Sea) into a back-to-back cruise (12-night combined itinerary) with the option of spending the weekend in between either on the cruise ship or in a Singapore hotel.
- From April to October 2018, new itineraries offer new destinations in South China Sea and Java Sea.
- Onboard entertainment features comprehensive Dreamscape educational and enrichment program, Crystal Life (health and wellness facilities), over 1100 m2 duty free shopping arcade, 6-slide waterpark, ropes course, zip-line, the world’s first Johnnie Walker House at sea, the world’s first Penfolds flagship Wine Vault at sea, private board rooms, real-time language translation capability (up to 4 languages) in the Zodiac theatre for 400 guests.
- The vessel's construction started on December 4, 2015, with the keel-laying ceremony held at the Meyer Werft's Papenburg shipyard. During the ceremony, a massive keel block (number 2 / one of the ship's all 92 building blocks) was lifted into the dock to officially start the vessel's assembly. GHK's Chairman and CEO Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay laid the traditional "lucky coin" (a good fortune symbol) under the block to bless the new vessel.
- The new cruise vessel was floated out of the shipyard's drydock on August 20, 2016.
- The vessel's conveyance (northbound route to North Seas along Ems River) started on September 18, leaving the Papenburg shipyard at around 2 pm. It entered the North Sea waters on Sept 19, at around 6 pm. After the scheduled sea trials, the ship docked in Bremerhaven (at Columbus Cruise Center).
- The christening ceremony was held on November 14, 2016, at Guangzhou (Nansha) port. The godmother - Mrs Puan Sri Cecilia Lim, is the wife of Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay. He is Chairman and CEO of GHK (Genting Hong Kong) and second son of Genting Group's founder Tan Sri Lim Goh Tong. Among the guests were prominent Chinese government officials and top executives from the cruise industry and shipping trade.
Cruise Itineraries 2017-2018
Genting Dream will be departing from Singapore between December 3 (2017) and March 25 (2018), operating on the following itinerary routes:
- 2 Nights Weekend Cruise (Every Friday)
- 5 Nights Singapore-Kuala Lumpur-Penang-Phuket Cruise (Every Sunday on Odd Week)
- 5 Nights Singapore-Surabaya-North Bali Cruise (Every Sunday on Even Week)
- 12 Night Cruise combining the above 3 cruises with the alternative of a land hotel instead of the weekend cruise.
Genting Dream related cruise news
Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) Australasia announced that its Masters Conference 2017 will take place aboard Dream Cruises' luxury...April 1, 2017
Dream Cruises announces that the fleet's first ship Genting Dream will be homeported for year-round operations in Singapore ...January 21, 2017
Dream Cruises claimed place in history on Monday, November 14, when the official Godmother of Genting Dream, Puan Sri Cecilia Lim, wife of Tan Sri...November 15, 2016
The first-ever Asian luxury cruise line, Dream Cruises, announced partnership with Australian winemaker Penfolds to bring the first in the world...November 5, 2016
Tomorrow, October 30 (Sunday), the season for cruise ships in India will start, in style. More than 2,000 passengers will sail on a luxury...October 29, 2016
Today in Bremerhaven, Meyer Werft delivered the 151,300 GT new cruise ship Genting Dream to the Asian cruise operator Dream Cruises. Together...October 12, 2016
Wartsila Funa is supplying unique external lighting system for the new cruise ship Genting Dream, currently under construction at Meyer...October 2, 2016
Favorable weather conditions let Meyer Werft shipyard (Papenburg Germany) to float out the new Genting Dream on Friday, August 19, a day earlier than...August 21, 2016
- show more news