MS Bremen Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Bremen
|Year built||1990 / Age : 27|
|Builder||Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (Kobe, Japan)|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||111 m / 364 ft|
|Beam (width)||17 m / 56 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||6752 gt|
|Passengers||155 - 160|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Former names||Frontier Spirit|
Review of MS Bremen
MS Bremen cruise ship was built in 1990 as "Frontier Spirit" at Mitsubishi Shipyard in Kobe, Japan and has been operated by Hapag Lloyd company since 1993. In 2003 the Bremen ship discovered a previously uncharted Antarctic island, later named Bremen Island. MS Bremen was successfully featured in the Killer Waves TV show. In 2006 she ran the Northwest Passage by the help of satellite images informing where sea ice was.
History - construction & ownership
The 6,752-ton, 164-passenger cruise ms Bremen was damaged during a storm in the Southern Atlantic in March 2001. The cruise ship was unable to continue with its own power for 2 hours. 137 German tourists were aboard the vessel at the moment of the incident. There was a great danger MS Bremen to sink without its own power. Crew members knew that even with the lifeboats, the passengers would not had survived in the harsh freezing conditions. The crew managed to restart the engines and the cruise ship escaped the sea trap.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Bremen itinerary program is based on South America cruises to Amazon River and Antarctica, Europe (Iceland and Norway) and Caribbean, with Transatlantic repositioning crossings.
Staterooms onboard feature luxurious amenities like dvd player, flat screen television, individual air conditioning, minibar, in-room safe and plush bathrobe. All staterooms are outside. Handicapped accessible cabins are also available. The suites feature balconies and private sitting areas.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
MS Bremen dining options include the Restaurant, featuring open seating breakfast and lunch and the more casual Lido Grill.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Enjoy exciting expert-guided shore excursions during the day. Nordic walking sticks, bicycles, kayaks and snorkeling gear are at hand for excursions. Lectures are hosted daily on board ms Bremen in the Panorama Lounge. A mini boutique carries gifts, and an Internet centre boasts microscopes and PC workstations. The fitness centre has cardio equipment and offers great ocean views. The swimming pool and sauna are perfect for relax after a day of exploring.
MS Bremen wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 7
- Total number of cabins: 80 (all of which Oceanview, 16 Balcony, 2 Suites)
- Dining Rooms: the Restaurant (Open seating breakfast and lunch).
- Restaurants and food bars: Lido Grill
- Lounges & Bars: Panorama Lounge, 2 Bars, Bremen Club.
- Fitness room, sauna, pool, Beauty parlour, library, Mini Boutique, Internet Centre, Sun deck, helicopter deck.
- Bremen is the smallest cruise ship in Hapag Lloyd's cruise fleet, but also the toughest vessel of them all. It has the highest ice-class (E4 ice rating) awarded to a passenger ship and is well-equipped to glide among the Arctic's and Antarctica's glaciers. The other Hapag-Lloyd expedition cruise ship is ms Hanseatic.
- MS Bremen provides a contingent of 12 zodiacs, so passengers can easily become part of the surrounding nature. These small boats are launched at all hours, day and night, during voyages close to the poles.
- Fun fact is, that in 2003, a previously uncharted island was discovered in the Antarctica by ms Bremen. It was named "Bremen Island" the next year. Another one is, that this Hapag Lloyd cruise ship was featured in the "Killer Waves" TV show.
- In 2006, helped by satellite images of sea ice, the cruise ship sailed on the Northwest Passage (Canadian Arctic) route connecting the Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific Ocean.
- Bremen was the world's first ever cruise ship with a Northwest Passage Cruise itinerary. In 2011, the vessel crossed the Passage from Kangerlussuaq Greenland to Nome Alaska. In 2012, MS Hanseatic made a full transit with a 25-days itinerary leaving from Nome AK (on August 14) and ending in Reykjavik Iceland (on September 7).