Silver Moon Review and Specifications
Specifications of Silver Moon
|Year built||2020 new ship|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Sestri Ponente, Italy)|
|Building cost||EUR 105 million (USD 125 million)|
|Owner||Lefebvre Family (Rome, Italy)|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||213 m / 699 ft|
|Beam (width)||26 m / 85 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||49700 gt|
|Passengers||596 - 691|
|Decks with cabins||8|
Review of Silver Moon
MS Silver Moon cruise ship is of the same design as the sister-ship Silver Muse (launched 2017). When the shipbuilding order for Silver Moon was placed, Silversea Cruises had a fleet of 9 vessels, with planned expansion up to 12 ships. The last 2 newbuilds (sister-ships to Muse and Moon, still unnamed) are with scheduled deliveries in 2021 and 2023.
History - construction & ownership
Silversea Cruises is a Monaco-based privately owned luxury cruise line. It was established in 1994 by a joint venture of V-Ships, Monaco (known previously as Vlasov Group) and the Lefebvre family of Italy (Rome). Silversea's business model is to operate ultra-luxury cruise ships with all-suite design. The company's all-inclusive fares include all onboard beverages (including premium spirits and wines), gratuities, travel insurance, port charges and complimentary shore excursions on each itinerary.
The 40,700-ton, 596-passenger Silver Moon is an all-suite, top-luxury cruise ship. The shipbuilding contract with Fincantieri was signed on September 11, 2017. The new vessels will be constructed at the Sestri Ponente shipyard (Genoa Italy). Among the ship's certificates is the “Green Star 3 Design” assigned to vessels specifically designed and equipped with technologies that prevent pollution. Other IMO-issued certificates relate to the vessel's lower noise levels (comfort-noise) - "COMF NOISE A" (for passengers) and “COMF NOISE B" (for crew).
Cruise itinerary program
Silver Moon itinerary program will be announced sometime in 2019. Following the current luxury cruising trends, the Moon ship will probably be operating in Europe (Mediterranean Sea, deparites from Rome, Venice, Barcelona, Athens), Caribbean (departures from Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA) and probably in Asia and Australia. The ship will also offer Around The World voyages.
Silver Moon has a total of 298 staterooms (all categorized as "suites"), which as sizes are the fleet's largest. The ship also has the fleet's biggest number of connecting cabins. Suite sizes range between 390 ft2 - 1970 ft2 (36-183 m2). Silver Suites (increased to a total of 34) are located on the ship's 3 top decks. The new 2-Bedroom Silver Suite is sized 1120 ft2 (104 m2).
Each cabin has private step-out balcony, walk-in closet, electronic safe, chest of drawers, luxury robe, slippers. All cabins are completely wireless, with iPod docking stations, hairdryers, alarm clocks, binoculars, umbrellas. Additional amenities in categories Owner, Silver, and Grand suites include 2 hours worldwide complimentary satellite phone use, in-cabin dining (afternoon canapes), private dinner at officers’ table. Junior attendants and butlers are assigned to each suite.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Silver Moon offers 8 different dining options, including 3 al-fresco / outdoor. The menu selections are not just creative, but a gourmet food art. The Hot Rocks grill menu and La Terrazza dinner robust menu are steps in future gourmet cuisine at sea. As for the gratuities – all of those are included in fare, and nothing additional is expected.
Follows the complete list of Silver Moon restaurants and food bars.
- Atlantide (steakhouse, bar & grill restaurant, reservations-only; features designer seafood dishes and gourmet fish specialties)
- 7 Restaurant (open-seating dining room with top-quality gourmet cuisine; features mostly Mediterranean themed meals, and always available standard menu with daily specials; all three meals are waiter-served and a la carte)
- La Grande Dame (called Le Champagne on the other Silversea ships). La Dame is a new, 24-seat upscale French cuisine specialty restaurant that offers signature dishes by Relais Chateaux. This is the only shipboard restaurant where dining is at additional fee (all others are price-inclusive). La Dame is dinner-only and reservations are required.
- Kabuki (Japanese cuisine specialty restaurant, reservations required) with teppanyaki iron griddles (used for the evening meals). Sushi and sashimi are offered during the day.
- Indochine (Asian cuisine specialty restaurant)
- Silver Note (jazz club with live performances) also serves tapas-style dishes.
- La Terrazza (Terrace Cafe; complimentary buffet restaurant) offers both indoor seating and an alfresco terrace with interactive food stations (olive oil cellar, mozzarella bar, seafood bar, salumeria, Italian-style deli). Wine is complimentary, but premium wines (from Connoisseur’s Wine List) cost extra. There is an Afternoon Tea service. La Terrazza transforms each evening (between 7-9:30 pm) into an Italian specialty restaurant (reservations-only) with a la carte priced menu. During the day, La Terrazza is also open for buffet-style breakfast and lunch.
- Hot Rocks (alfresco poolside restaurant) is an outdoor Steakhouse and Seafood restaurant for gourmet al-fresco dining under the stars; This open-air grill venue implements Silversea's new interactive dining concept “Black Rock Grill Experience”. In the evenings, it allows passsengers to cook their food (fresh seafood and prime steaks) on heated volcanic-rock plates at their own table. During the day, Hot Rocks serves as a rotisserie and gourmet salad and burger bar.
- Regina Margherita (outdoor / poolside pizzeria) is also complimentary and open from morning to late evening. The restaurant offers pizzas baked in a custom-made, wood-fired oven.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Traditional shipboard entertainment includes bingo, team trivia, golf competitions, occasional movies, evening Broadway-style show productions and live jazz performances in The Theater lounge.
Onboard amenities include movies on demand and interactive TV service. Passengers can check messages, review accounts, or choose from a large number of newly released movies. The TV sets are last word of technology – real “flat-screens”. Programming line-up includes CNN International, Fox News, ESPN and BBC World. Eight are the complimentary laundry rooms. Also available are laundry, dry cleaning, pressing – all through the complimentary butler service for each of the cabins.
Follows the complete list of Silver Moon lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Boutique shops (offer duty-free shopping: luxury jewelry and watches, brand perfumes, fashion, designer handbags, photo/video accessories, Silversea logo merchandise, special occasion gifts, convenience goods)
- The Main Bar (lounge with ample comfortable seating; offers live music performances, large dance floor, complimentary cocktails)
- The Theatre (Main Show Lounge for live music and show productions; the daily enrichment program offers trivia games, dance classes, language lessons, lectures, media presentations)
- Conference Room (hosts group meetings and conferences; it is adjacent to the Card Room and the Internet Cafe)
- The Swimming Pool (with saltwater; heated during cool-weather cruises; the sunbathing area has teak chaise loungers, 3 whirlpools and tennis tables)
- Connoisseur’s Corner (formerly known as Humidor - ship’s smoking lounge furnished with leather armchairs and selling brand cognacs, vintage wines, fine cigars)
- Panorama Lounge (served by its own bar; offers live music and dancing, Continental Breakfast and Afternoon Tea)
- Observation Lounge (with 270-degree panoramic views and a radar screen; serves early breakfast with coffee)
- Children’s Room (kids-play facility with supervised, age-appropriate activities; has an Outdoor Area)
- The Library (with audio listening stations and on-demand movies)
- Zagara Beauty Spa (features treatment rooms, and spa therapies including body wraps, massages and facials; sauna and steam rooms; thermal suite)
- Beauty Salon (provides a full range of services: hairstyling, manicures, pedicures)
- Fitness Centre (offers a treadmill, stationary bike, weight machine, elliptical trainer)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track, Golf Cage, paddle tennis, golf putting green.
Silver Moon wiki
- Cabin grades number: 7
- Total number of cabins: 256 (all of which Suites, 75% with private balconies; 4 wheelchair-accessible)
- Dining Rooms: "7 Restaurant" MDR
- Restaurants and food bars: Atlantide (steakhouse), La Grande Dame (French), Kabuki (Japanese), La Terrazza (Italian), Hot Rocks (alfresco steakhouse), Restaurant 8, Regina Margherita (pizzeria), Pool Bar & Grill.
- Lounges & Bars: Main Bar lounge, Observation Lounge & Bar, Connoisseur's Corner (cigar bar), The Theater (show lounge), Panorama (observation lounge), Card Room (conference center).
- The Spa at Silversea, Beauty Salon, 2 saunas, 2 steam rooms, Thermal Suite, Beauty Salon, Fitness center (Gym with Aerobics studio), Jogging Track, swimming pool, Jacuzzis (3), Children’s Room, Launderettes, Boutique, Library, complimentary 24-hour Room Service, complimentary WiFi Internet.
- When the Silversea-Fincantieri order for building Silver Moon was signed (September 2017), the Italian shipbuilder had a total of 78 cruise vessels built in the period 1990-2017 (of which 55 launched between 2002-2017) plus other 31 being designed or under construction.
- Silversea's "flight and cruise" package deals (by the line's "Silver Sky" flycruise program) are inclusive of the cruise fare, discount round-trip airfare (Economy Class) and airport-pier-airport transfers.
- Silversea's "hotel and cruise" package "Silver Shore Simply Hotel" offers overnight 5-star luxury hotel stays with the option of adding transfers or upgrades. The upgraded cruise and hotel package ("Silver Shore Grande Hotel") offers 1-3-nights landmark hotel stays (or at a boutique property), and is inclusive of private transfers (airport-hotel and hotel-pier).
Godspeed to the new ship!