SuperStar Virgo Review and Specifications
Specifications of SuperStar Virgo
|Year built||1999 / Age : 18|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 350 million|
|Owner||(GHK) Genting Hong Kong Ltd|
|Operator||Star Cruises (Asia)|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||268 m / 879 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||75338 gt|
|Passengers||1974 - 2800|
|Decks with cabins||10|
Review of SuperStar Virgo
History - construction & ownership
Star Cruises, member of Genting Hong Kong, is the 3rd biggest cruise line in the world, following Carnival Corporation and Royal Caribbean Cruises. The company dominates the Asia-Pacific market. It is owned by Genting Hong Kong, and is listed on the Singapore Exchange and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. Star Cruises was established as an associate of Genting Group of Malaysia, incorporated on November 10, 1993 in Bermuda, with corporate headquarters in Hong Kong. The first ships of the company were two cruiseferries bought from the bankrupted estate of Swedish Rederi AB Slite. Star Cruises purchased several other used vessels in the following years. In 1998, the company took delivery of its first newbuild, SuperStar Leo. Sister ship SuperStar Virgo followed in 1999. The same year Star Cruises acquired Sun Cruises.
The 75,338-ton, 2,800-passenger cruise ship SuperStar Virgo was constructed to enter the Asian cruise market together with her sister ship SuperStar Leo (now Norwegian Spirit). The cruise ship was delivered to Star Cruises on 2 August 1999. The ship's 2014 drydock refurbishment cost USD 19,7 million.
Cruise itinerary program
In 2016, the shipowner Star Cruises company announced that the SuperStar Virgo ship will offer round-trip itineraries out of China's Nansha Port in 2016. In 2017, the ship was homeported in Kaohsiung (Taichung). The Hong Kong-based company confirmed the ship will provide two itineraries per week leaving from Nansha (Guangzhou), which is the largest city of the Guangdong province in Southern China and located close to Hong Kong. Passengers will be able to choose from a 3-day cruise to Hong Kong, or a longer 6-day sailing calling in Halong Bay, Danang and Sanya. In 2017, the ship was homeported in Kaohsiung (Taichung) to offer 6-day / 5-night itineraries in the “Golden Triangle”. Beside aaa, the ship's other turnaround ports are Hong Kong and Manila.
SuperStar Virgo provides a total of 935 staterooms in 18 categories. The largest aboard SuperStar Virgo are the Executive Suites (650.25 ft2). SuperStar Virgo staterooms offer an in-room safe, TV, and air conditioning. Passenger suites are designed with a separate sitting area, stunning views, and jacuzzi bathtubs.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
SuperStar Virgo is operated as a "freestyle" cruise ship, which means passengers have the choice to dine when, where and with whom they choose. All food presentation is a treat for the eye. All meals are included during the voyage at the main dining restaurants.
Follows the complete list of SuperStar Virgo restaurants and food bars.
- Bella Vista Restaurant (560-seat, International cuisine)
- Samurai Restaurant
- Mediterranean Restaurant (Buffet-style restaurant, offers International cuisine of high quality with fresh ingredients - a hallmark of Star Cruises)
- Tai Pan (a la carte Chinese restaurant for more upscale Chinese cuisine)
- Tatami Room (with sliding screens, floor-level seating and low tables; Japanese cuisine)
- The Noble House (multi-course Chinese banquet)
- The Pavilion Room (family-style Chinese restaurant)
- The Taj (Indian restaurant)
- Palazzo (Italian)
- Blue Lagoon (serves fast food and snacks).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
SuperStar Virgo offers unforgettable voyages through Asian destinations. The vessel features an art gallery, a video game arcade, Jacuzzis, and nightly live music. The Star Cruises' vessel is perfect for family holidays, romantic excursions and group adventures. The amenities on board the cruise ship are planned to suit every cruise style. During the evenings guests can take advantage of the main performance theatre, The Lido, producing and hosting cabaret shows, magicians, musicians, and other talented acts. There are also a couple of themed bars - Celebrity vodka bar, and Bellini champagne bar.
Music artists from Hong Kong and Taiwan including Richie Ren, Andy Hui, Michael Wong, Tiger Huang, Michael Tse, William So, Edwin Siu, Johnny Yip and Bo Luk performing in The Lido on a weekly basis, as Star has revamped its entertainment for the Chinese market. The Virgo cruise ship also features “BEATSHIP by ZOUK,” a nightclub party onboard. In addition, there is a new illusionist show aboard, as well as a Broadway opera, Memory Lane, featuring the best of Shanghai and Hollywood from the 1950s.
Follows the complete list of SuperStar Virgo lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Star Club; Grand Piazza
- The Promenade; Lobby Boulevard; Sunset Boulevard
- Oscar's Hair & Beauty Salon; Apollo Spa & Fitness Centre; Universal Gym
- VIP Room; Genting Club; Activity Centre
- Cafe Gelato; The Observatory
- Bellini (jazz bar)
- Galaxy of the Stars Lounge (with 360-degree views)
- The Den (you can see the Captains working; the layout of Superstar Virgo Cruise in mini display; the ‘Hall of Fame’)
- Samson's and Delilah's (steam, sauna and massage rooms for men/women)
- Star Boutique; Wine Shop; Internet Cafe; Photo Gallery; Card Room
- The Lido (Theater); Starlight Video Arcade
- Charlie's Childcare, Computer World, Starlight Cinema
- Neptune's Wet & Wild; Jumbo Chessboard; Table Tennis
- Pool Deck, Pool Bar, 3 pools, 5 Jacuzzis; Mega Waterslide; Sun Deck; Jogging Track.
SuperStar Virgo related cruise news
Manila is already a cruise home port after Star Cruises launches "Jewels of the South China Sea" cruise which marked the first-ever...March 20, 2017
Star Cruises announced the launch of new 3-month homeport deployment in Kaohsiung of its flagship SuperStar Virgo and a 5-night “Golden...January 5, 2017
Star Cruises announced the first homeport deployment to Manila of SuperStar Virgo, providing another option for the Philippines outbound tourism...December 25, 2016
- show more news