Honfleur ferry Review and Specifications
Specifications of Honfleur ferry
|Year built||2019 / Age : 1|
|Builder||Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft (Flensburg, Germany)|
|Class||Stena E-Flexer cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Portsmouth-Caen|
|Building cost||EUR 195 million (USD 240 million)|
|Owner||BAI Bretagne Angleterre Irlande SA|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||187 m / 614 ft|
|Beam (width)||31 m / 102 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||42400 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
Review of Honfleur ferry
MS Honfleur ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned by the French company BRITTANY FERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 1680 passengers, 550 cars and 64 lorries (or 130 freight trailers) The vessel was launched in 2019 and currently operates on the UK (England)-France ferry route Portsmouth-Caen (crossing time 6 hours).
As cruise ferry, Honfleur has a total of 257 cabins (plus 36 truck-driver cabins), all of which are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. The ship additionally has reclining seats. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers).
The ship's staterooms as categories are 4-berth Outside "Club Plus", 4-berth Outside "Club", 4-berth Inside, 2-berth Inside, wheelchair-accessible. Also available are reserved Club Class seats (in a reserved area providing privacy), reserved lounge seats and cots (suitable for infants up to 24 months of age). Reserved seats (cabins) aren't compulsory on day sailings.
The ferry offers pet-friendly cabins, but these are not available for online booking. Pet cabins are a limited number, so reservation in advance is required. If these are fully booked, the ship also has a small number of kennels (booths for dogs). Pets are not allowed in cabins (other than Pet-friendly 4-berth/large 2-berth inside/outside cabins), as well as in all indoor areas, bars, restaurants, lounges. Dogs can be walked on open decks but must be leashed and muzzled.
Honfleur stateroom categories include:
- 4-berth Deluxe Outside (with twin beds / double bed and 2 bunk beds)
- 4-berth (large 2-berth) Inside / Outside (with 2 lower beds + 2 upper bunk beds)
- 2-berth Inside (with 2 lower beds)
- 4-berth (large 2-berth) "Pet-friendly" Inside / Outside (13 in number, with 2 lower beds + 2 upper bunk beds). Pets (including in pet carriers) are not permitted in passenger cabins.
- 2-berth "Disabled Cabin" / Twin Outside (with 2 lower beds; bathroom with a wider door, a wheelchair-accessible shower, grab bars, alarms)
- All passengers must vacate their suites 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Honfleur ship offers:
- A La Carte Restaurant (120-seat, offers locally-sourced meals prepared by French chefs)
- La Restaurant (self-service/buffet restaurant, hot and cold meals)
- Le Cafe / Tea Room (sandwiches, cakes, pastries, hot/cold drinks, flat TVs)
- 2 cinemas - tickets can be purchased from Information Desk
- kids playroom (part of Le Restaurant, children entertainment program is available during peak season)
- Games Planet (teen lounge - video games, air hockey table)
- Baby changing rooms, complimentary Baggage Room
- Chance Planet (casino/gambling lounge with slot machines)
- Reading Lounge
- 2 Reserved Seating Lounges (with reclining / Pullman seats)
- Le Bar (fine French wines, cocktails, cold/hot drinks, flat TVs - DJ, cabaret and pianist is available during peak season)
- Les Boutiques shops - gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, perfumes, cosmetics, leather goods, toys, confectionery, clothing, cameras, sunglasses, jewelry), shopping promotions
- free Wi-Fi (available in all passenger spaces), ATM / cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception which provides large screens with information about the services and recommended attractions available on board, as well as train connections)
- disabled toilets
- elevators (passenger lifts) accessing all decks.
- Sun Deck is an outdoor area that doubles as Helideck (helipad) - helicopter landing platform used in cases of emergency.
Pet Cages (upon booking, the pet cage type must be indicated). Passengers can also bring their own pet carriers. Valid health cards for pets are required. The dog's chip is scanned and the Pet Passport checked. The company places a sticker on the traveler's car windscreen to ensure it is parked appropriately.
Under no circumstances, pets are allowed out of their cages/carriers during the crossing. During embarkation and disembarkation, dogs must be leashed and muzzled, as well as whilst in the pet exercise area. Passengers with pets always disembark last. They may also choose to leave their pet in their vehicle for the length of the sailing, with visits subject to weather (open your vehicle window in order to provide ventilation and leave some water for your pet). Access to the garage decks during the sailing is forbidden, except when with a crew member. To visit a pet during the crossing, guests need a ticket that can be obtained at the information desk upon presentation of a passport or driving license (the ID will be securely held during the visit). No pet visits to the garage decks are allowed on overnight sailings. For security reasons, visits are limited to 1 person per vehicle for a maximum period of 15 minutes.
The ship features an art collection of around 1000 works, including paintings, sculptures, ceramics, photography. Many artworks were made by local artists.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
BRITTANY FERRIES cruise deals
The company offers regularly scheduled ferry services between England and France (travel time on cruise ferries 3-4 hours) and between France and Spain (travel time 20-36 hours). The high-speed UK-France service allows the ships to successfully target the UK's "mini cruise" and holiday travel markets.
As on cruise vessels, all BRITTANY FERRIES ships offer passenger cabins with modern amenities, individually controlled air-conditioning and en-suite facilities. Cruise accommodations range from 2-bed "Inside Cabin" to "Commodore Suite" (with in-cabin dining / Afternoon Tea and Breakfast service). Some suites are with private balconies.
Onboard food is predominantly French cuisine and prepared by French chefs. All ships have a la carte priced restaurants, self-service cafeteria, selection of bars, live entertainment (singers, magicians, pantomimes for kids), at least one cinema, casino, arcade room, Bureau de Change, baby changing rooms, disabled toilets, Sun Deck areas, free of charge Wi-Fi.
Cruise ferries on France-Spain routes have swimming pools (open during summer months only), as well as kids' play areas with supervised activities (during holidays only). Spa treatment rooms on Spain-France cruise ferries offer facials (from ProCare), massages (by certified masseuses), modern massage chairs, pedicure and manicure services (OPI nail varnishes), treatments using skincare products by the French brand "Filorga Professional".
Ships' boutique shops sell at discount prices tobacco and alcohol (budget and premium wines and spirits), as well as luxury brand perfumes and cosmetics, designer jewelry, watches, sunglasses, souvenirs, toys.
Fun fact is that BRITTANY FERRIES serve annually around 22 tons of langoustines (Norway lobster), 15 tons of smoked salmon, 260 tons of meat, 240,000 English breakfasts, 333,000 liters of beer. By onboard sold perfumes, the company is ranked France's 3rd largest perfume retailer.
- Ferry fares are based on departure dates, routes and time (season).
- GBP 35 deposit is required to secure bookings during the peak summer season.
- Summer prices are usually higher. Same goes for the weekends and overnight crossings.
- Departures in the mornings, afternoons and overnights are offered throughout the whole year.
- Overnight France-Spain crossings are 7 in a week.
- Mix and match route deals are also available.
Follows the list of all BRITTANY FERRIES routes with crossing times and frequencies.
- Portsmouth-Caen (6 hours) - 3 daily
- Portsmouth-St Malo (11 hours / overnight) - daily
- Portsmouth-Cherbourg (3 hours) - 10 return (in the period late April - early September)
- Portsmouth-Santander Spain (24 hours / overnight) - 3 crossings weekly
- Portsmouth-Bilbao Spain (24-36 hours) - 2 crossings weekly
- Portsmouth-Le Havre (5 hours 30 min) - daily return crossings
- Poole-Cherbourg (4 hours 15 min) - daily return
- Plymouth-Roscoff (6 hours) 2 return
- Plymouth-Santander Spain (20 hours) - direct weekly crossings
- Cork Ireland-Roscoff (14 hours) - weekly, return crossings in the period April-November)
- Cork-Santander (26,5 hours) - 2 weekly return crossings
Follows a list of car decks related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk, open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
- In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The ship operator Brittany Ferries (founded in 1972, headquartered in Roscoff France) is a French ferry company operating on the shipping routes France-UK and France-Spain. Brittany Ferries current fleet includes the ships Armorique, Baie de Seine, Barfleur, Bretagne, Cap Finistere, Connemara, Etretat, Honfleur, Mont St Michel, Normandie, Pont Aven, E-Flexer (Galicia, Salamanca, Santona).
Honfleur ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Honfleur ferryAdd Photo
Honfleur ferry ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Plans to launch 9 new passenger ferries on the UK and Ireland routes show the cruise industry is continuing to flourish. Brittany Ferries...January 7, 2019
- Cruise Industry
A new cruiseferry powered by LNG (liquified natural gas) took to the water for the first time at an official ship-launching ceremony in Germany...December 14, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft (FSG) has begun to assemble the hull of Honfleur, Brittany Ferries’ first LNG-powered vessel, at its...August 17, 2018
- show more news
Other BRITTANY FERRIES cruise ships
Honfleur ferry Wiki
MS Honfleur is BRITTANY FERRIES' first LNG-powered vessel (liquefied natural gas), the largest regularly-scheduled cruiseferry in the English Channel and one of company's largest newbuilds - together with the sisterships and fleetmates Galicia, Salamanca and Santona. The ship has four engines running on LNG (fuel without any sulfur emissions) which generates less CO2 emissions and no soot particles - in comparison to diesel-powered ships. The propulsion system is diesel-electric, consisting of modern Azipod units (below waterline azimuthing thrusters). This type of propulsion is used extensively on large-sized cruise liners as it generates less noise and vibrations and also optimizes fuel consumption at lower speeds. Honfleur ship's combined power output is 30 MW.
On December 11, 2017, BRITTANY FERRIES signed the shipbuilding financing, part of EUR 750 million "Green Shipping Guarantee" program. The program was put in place in 2016, supported by "European Investment Bank" and "Societe Generale". Both banks signed a EUR 150 million guarantee agreement to support the vessel's construction. Societe Generale was the main arranger of EUR 142,6 million ship financing, which also includes a EUR 49,5 million tranche fully guaranteed by European Investment Bank.
In January 2018, the UK-based law firm "Watson Farley & Williams" (office Paris France) advised BRITTANY FERRIES on the EUR 178 million Honfleur ship financing. The deal (loan and lease purchase) was backed by a banking consortium that included Societe Generale (main arranger) and European Investment Bank.
Vessel's construction started in March 2018 with the steel-cutting ceremony at FSG-Flensburger Shipyard (Flensburg Germany). Keel-laying and coin ceremony was held on August 17, 2018, which started vessel's drydock assembly. The boat (FSG hull number 774) was scheduled for launch in June 2019 and inauguration in December. On December 14, 2018, the vessel was launched (floated out from drydock) at FSG (Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft).
The ship is named after the Normandy port town Honfleur, located near Seine River's estuary and across Le Havre (seaport to Paris City). The UK-France route Portsmouth-Caen, MS Honfleur operates together with the fleet mate Mont St Michel. This service runs three times daily.
Honfleur ferry User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review