Celebrity Cruises fleet
Review of Celebrity Cruises
Celebrity Cruises is the second largest (by fleet) member of the huge Royal Caribbean family of companies since 1997.
The Celebrity cruise company was founded in 1988 by the Greek Chandris Group. The history of the Celebrity brand starts with cheap sailings on second-hand ships, to become one of the most prominent premium luxury and most affordable cruise lines in the world.
The voyage to the world of deluxe cruising started with premium Bermuda sailings, buying more and better ships ever since. As a feature brand name of Royal Caribbean Ltd, Celebrity has 5 sister companies – Royal Caribbean International, Azamara, CDF, Pullmantur, and TUI Cruises. The line’s headquarters address: “Celebrity Cruises, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL, 33132-2096 USA”.
"Celebrity Cruises" as brand name represents one of the best cruise shipping lines for adults, a signature line for Panama Canal transition itineraries and also one of the top 3 best cruise lines for Alaska USA.
Celebrity is a medium priced cruise brand, associated with sophistication, style and elegance. Celebrity cruise ships offer impeccable service and exquisite cuisine, appealing to a moderately affluent, well-educated clientele of mostly adults in their 40s. Celebrity offers Family Cruises during holidays (particularly on Caribbean cruises, and on cruises to Bermuda), and Seniors Cruises to Europe and on the exotic itineraries to South America. The letter “X” on the funnel of all Celebrity ships stands for the name “Chandris” (in Greek it is “Xandris”).
The following YouTube video (official Celebrity Cruises release) reviews the company's newest vessel Celebrity Edge and all its unique features.
In February 2014, Celebrity Cruises announced it would add "The Suite Class" to its cruise ships. Suite Class guests have their own private restaurant and VIP lounge. Key features on Solstice Class ships include the Lawn Club, which is a freshly manicured lawn on ship's highest deck. Passengers enjoy casual outdoor activities, country-club atmosphere and grass between their toes. They can watch a glass-blowing demonstration on Equinox, Eclipse and Solstice, or a meal in the Lawn Club Grill. The Celebrity ships also feature Cellar Masters, inspired by the Napa Valley vineyards, which brings to life a global wine tour experience, while guests learn about and taste a variety of wines from around the world.
In March 2016 Celebrity Cruises acquired two-ship cruise line Ocean Adventures. The purchase of 16-guest catamaran Athala II and 48-guest ship Eclipse meant Celebrity Cruises increased capacity in Galapagos Islands by 65%. The two vessels joined the Celebrity Cruises fleet in spring 2016. Until a January 2017 stint in drydock the ships offer Ocean Adventures cruise experiences.
Celebrity attracts a diverse passenger base. The line targets baby boomers and their families, honeymooners and seniors. In addition to U.S. cruisers, Celebrity Cruises also draws vacationers from Europe, Canada and South America. Longer sailings in more distant locales tend to draw an older crowd. Week-long trips to places like Alaska and the Caribbean attract families. In an effort to appeal to more multi-generational groups, line's family programs have expanded and now include teen centers, more enrichment and educational programs for kids.
Following are Celebrity Cruises' best features:
- Accommodations: some of the largest cruise ship suites (all served by butlers). Luxurious “ConciergeClass” staterooms, attentive highly personalized impeccable service; and enjoying seating preference, priority check-in. 2:1 guest-to-staff ratio
- Dining: award-winning cuisine, excellent alternate dining venues. The Celebrity’s “Gourmet Bites” every afternoon, themed lunch buffets. Culinary demonstrations. The line has partnered with “Elizabeth Blau & Associates”, as to menu and wine selections, and all the standards of serving.
- Facilities: the largest cruise ship spa and gym facilities at sea (“AquaSpa by Elemis” – a world-class beauty salon, spa treatments and fitness programs). “Celebrity Theatre” for Broadway-style productions, huge European-style casinos, bingo, themed bars and lounges, including an European style disco, large pools, poolside recreation programs (massages, yoga), on-board boutique shopping.
- Enrichment: “Celebrity Lecture Series”. Rich contemporary art collections. Art auctions, enhanced golf program.
- “Celebrity Escape” concept: reserved exclusively for adults ages 21 and older, with classes, themed events, fashion shows, parties, etc.
- “Family Cruising Program”: on all sailings. Games and parties, educational activities, history and sea life explorations. Separate pools and discos for teens. Online booking.
- Since 2013, the company has been partnered with “Top Chef” (US reality competition TV series). In late 2014, both companies started the exclusive “Top Chef at Sea” cruising experience. By this onboard culinary program, fans and foodies have the opportunity to travel with a lineup of celebrity chefs on food-themed "Top Chef Signature Sailing" each year. Celebrity also offers an interactive "Quickfire Challenges" and “Top Chef”-inspired menu evenings fleetwide on cruises 5-nights or longer (excluding Galapagos Islands).
- In 2017, Celebrity Cruises partnered with Bravo Media for a new cooking video series - "Isaac Takes On". This digital show follows Top Chef's Isaac Toups as he cruises around the Caribbean on the ship Celebrity Reflection, competing against passengers in a variety of culinary challenges. The ship has its own Michelin-star chef - Cornelius Gallagher, who also makes appearances throughout the series.
Itinerary of Celebrity Cruises
Celebrity Cruise destinations include Alaska, Hawaii, Bermuda, Canada, Bahamas, Caribbean (all, but mostly Southern), Mexico, Panama Canal, South America, Australia New Zealand, Northern Europe from UK, Eastern and Western Mediterranean.
The Celebrity line owns one of the youngest and most innovative fleets, with 13 luxury ships currently in operation. They all are Malta flagged (with the exception of the Xpedition ship - flag Ecuador), with gross tonnage above the 91,000 GT marker. The Celebrity Xpedition ship is the smallest member of the Celebrity family, with 100 passengers capacity. She sails the Galapagos Islands, and Antarctica on adventure voyages.
Celebrity Cruises confirmed itinerary changes for their ships Constellation, Equinox and Reflection. They will cancel the overnight stays in Istanbul Turkey scheduled for 2016 because of berth availability and Salipazari Port (aka Galataport) construction. The construction project in Istanbul is set to make the city one of the world's largest hubs for cruise tourism. The development is slated to start in 2016 and due to be completed in the last quarter of 2018. As yet, it is unclear as to whether Celebrity Cruises sailings in 2017 and 2018 will be affected.
In the beginning of December, 2015 Celebrity Cruises announced deployment into 2018, featuring 282 destinations in 76 countries, 236 overnights in 55 ports and new ports of call. Deployment news includes Bermuda, Canada/New England, Alaska, Asia-Pacific and Europe.
- In 2017 Celebrity Cruises will have three cruise ships in Alaska: Celebrity Solstice, Millennium and Infinity
- In 2017 Celebrity Summit will be in Bermuda, with sailings from Bayonne New Jersey and a new 9-night sailing to Canada/New England. In 2018 the ship will be leaving from Fort Lauderdale on short-break itineraries - including 4-day trips to Key West and Nassau, and 5-day trips to Key West and Cozumel, with several days at sea.
- Beginning in 2016, Celebrity will introduce chef-led shore excursions called “Chef’s Market Discoveries” with regional experts, local entertainment and authentic flavors.
- Celebrity Constellation and Celebrity Millennium will offer Asia cruises in 2017 and 2018. Celebrity Cruises ups India sailings to 8, which is the most in the history of the brand. The season in the region features a 15-night “Best of India & Sri Lanka” sailing along the ancient Spice Route. This once-in-a-lifetime tour to Taj Majal traces the origins of tea in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Another option is to relax on the beaches of Goa, India. The line will also continue to sail from Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Celebrity Edge (scheduled launch 2018 December) will operate 7-day (and 14-day back-to-back) Caribbean cruises leaving roundtrip from home-port Fort Lauderdale FLorida (USA).
New to the Signature Event Sailings of the brand is the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival in Taipei, Taiwan. It is available over the Chinese New Year on a cruise onboard Celebrity Millennium.
In July 2016 Celebrity Cruises revealed that their Celebrity Equinox ship will offer year-round Eastern and Western Caribbean sailings out of Miami Florida in 2017. Beginning in April, the 2,850-passenger vessel, typically repositioning to the Mediterranean for summer months, will offer a total of 24 voyages from her new homeport, including 7-night itineraries from June through August, and 10- and 11-night throughout the rest of 2017. To kick off her first summer season in the Caribbean, Celebrity Equinox will host an 11-night cruise with 2 overnight stays in New Orleans, during city's famous Jazz & Heritage Festival, starting April 24. The line will wrap up its summer season 2017 with a "President's Cruise", August 27. On the 8-night Eastern Caribbean voyage, Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, line's president, will treat cruisers to excursions and special events.
- Celebrity Solstice will also offer western and southern Australia cruises in 2017-2018, visiting ports of call like Adelaide and Perth, as well as an added opportunity to sail from Sydney to the Great Barrier Reef. The Solstice will also continue to cross the Pacific Ocean on cruises to Hawaii and the South Pacific.
- Irish travel agents will benefit from a dedicated cruise ship to sell when Celebrity Cruises becomes the first ever major cruise line to base a vessel in Dublin. One of line’s 2,800-plus passenger Solstice-class ships will run 5 sailings from the port of the Irish capital between April and June 2018. Itineraries will run throughout northern Europe.
Celebrity Cruises Galapagos ships
On March 14, 2016, Celebrity announced its planned acquisition of the leading Galapagos cruise tour operator company "Ocean Adventures". The acquisition includes the two small vessels MV Eclipse (48-passenger) and the catamaran MC Athala II (16-passenger luxury catamaran). When added to the 98-passenger MS Xpedition ship, both vessels expand the line's passenger capacity in the Galápagos Islands destination by 65%. The newly acquired ships join the Celebrity fleet in 2016 spring, but until their dry-dock refurbishments in January 2017, they will continue to be operated with their current Ocean Adventures amenities and programming. The existing Ocean Adventures’ cruise bookings and reservations remain unchanged (until and after the 2017's dry-docks).
- Celebrity Xpedition - 90-passenger expedition ship
- Celebrity Xperience (formerly MV Eclipse) - 48-passenger expedition ship
- Celebrity Xploration (formerly MC Athala II) - 16-passenger catamaran
Celebrity Cruises related cruise news
Cruise enthusiasts will get a 3-D look at one of industry’s newest ships next week. Celebrity Cruises will roll into Southern California with a...April 6, 2017
Virgin Islands Port Authority announced yesterday that Celebrity Summit had cancelled its April 9 visit to Ann E. Abramson Marine Facility at...March 28, 2017
Celebrity Cruises and Bravo Media announced a brand new element of their partnership with the launch of new video series, named Isaac Takes...March 22, 2017
Royal Caribbean unveiled a new cruise ship in its Celebrity series, completely designed in 3D. Celebrity Edge will not be operational for some time...March 14, 2017
A woman alleges she was injured due to a slippery surface on a Celebrity Cruises ship. Lisa A. Hunt filed a complaint on March 6 in the U.S...March 11, 2017
Bill Todhunter and his wife often see cruise ships pass by their waterfront home in Fort Lauderdale, and even get a kick out of it, but on...March 8, 2017
One of the most premium and the longest cruise ship ever to dock in New Orleans will sail into Port’s Julia Street Cruise Terminal on Sunday...February 25, 2017
A woman is in critical condition and 3 others remain hospitalised after a bus carrying cruise passengers collided with a car and crashed...February 24, 2017
To kick off the new 2017 in style, Celebrity Cruises announced an exclusive partnership with designer Nate Berkus, naming him Design Ambassador...January 26, 2017
Celebrity Cruises launched cheaper flights to join voyages on the continent for £99 this summer. The luxury cruise line announced its new...January 17, 2017
- show more news