Celebrity Cruises fleet
Review of Celebrity Cruises
Celebrity Cruises is the second largest (by fleet) brand in the Royal Caribbean family of companies. Established in 1997, the Celebrity cruise line brand represents one of the best "luxury ship travel" companies for adults, as well as a signature operator of regularly scheduled Panama Canal transition itineraries and one of the top 3 Alaskan cruise lines.
Celebrity is a medium priced luxury cruise company, which vacation package product is associated with sophistication, style and elegance. Celebrity liners offer impeccable service and exquisite cuisine, appealing to moderately affluent, well-educated travelers (mostly adults in their 40s). Celebrity offers Family Cruises during holidays (particularly on voyages from USA to Caribbean and Bermuda) and Seniors Cruises (on European and South American itineraries). The letter “X” on ships' funnels stands for the name “Chandris” (in Greek “Xandris”).
The cruise company was founded in 1988 by the Greek Chandris Group. The history of the Celebrity brand starts with cheap sailings on second-hand ships, to become one of the most prominent premium luxury and most affordable cruise lines in the world.
The voyage to the world of deluxe cruising started with premium Bermuda sailings, buying more and better ships ever since. As a feature brand name of Royal Caribbean Ltd, Celebrity has 5 sister companies – Royal Caribbean International, Azamara, CDF, Pullmantur, and TUI Cruises. The line’s headquarters address: “Celebrity Cruises, 1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL, 33132-2096 USA”.
The following YouTube video (official Celebrity Cruises release) reviews the company's newest vessel Celebrity Edge and all its unique features. From the EDGE series are to be built 3 more liners - Celebrity Apex (2020) and 2 more (unnamed) with scheduled deliveries in 2021 and 2022.
In February 2014, Celebrity Cruises announced it would add "The Suite Class" to its cruise ships. Suite Class guests have their own private restaurant and VIP lounge. Key features on Solstice Class ships include the Lawn Club, which is a freshly manicured lawn on ship's highest deck. Passengers enjoy casual outdoor activities, country-club atmosphere and grass between their toes. They can watch a glass-blowing demonstration on Equinox, Eclipse and Solstice, or a meal in the Lawn Club Grill. The Celebrity ships also feature Cellar Masters, inspired by the Napa Valley vineyards, which brings to life a global wine tour experience, while guests learn about and taste a variety of wines from around the world.
In March 2016 Celebrity Cruises acquired two-ship cruise line Ocean Adventures. The purchase of 16-guest catamaran Athala II and 48-guest ship Eclipse meant Celebrity Cruises increased capacity in Galapagos Islands by 65%. The two vessels joined Celebrity's fleet in spring 2016, but started regular operations following their respective drydocks in January 2017.
Since March 2018, RCCL offers one login for RCI and Celebrity Cruises websites and mobile apps. The new policy allows one account to be used for loyalty program benefits, bookings and reservations with both brands. The account security was also simplified and strengthened to ensure customers' personal data..
Celebrity attracts a diverse passenger base. The line targets baby boomers and their families, honeymooners and seniors. In addition to U.S. cruisers, Celebrity Cruises also draws vacationers from Europe, Canada and South America. Longer sailings in more distant locales tend to draw an older crowd. Week-long trips to places like Alaska and the Caribbean attract families. In an effort to appeal to more multi-generational groups, line's family programs have expanded and now include teen centers, more enrichment and educational programs for kids.
Follows the review Celebrity Cruises line's best features:
- Accommodations: some of the largest cruise ship suites (all served by butlers). Luxurious “ConciergeClass” staterooms, attentive highly personalized impeccable service; and enjoying seating preference, priority check-in. 2:1 guest-to-staff ratio
- Dining: award-winning cuisine, excellent alternate dining venues. The Celebrity’s “Gourmet Bites” every afternoon, themed lunch buffets. Culinary demonstrations. The line has partnered with “Elizabeth Blau and Associates”, as to menu and wine selections, and all the standards of serving.
- Facilities: the largest cruise ship spa and gym facilities at sea (“AquaSpa by Elemis” – a world-class beauty salon, spa treatments and fitness programs). “Celebrity Theatre” for Broadway-style productions, huge European-style casinos, bingo, themed bars and lounges, including an European style disco, large pools, poolside recreation programs (massages, yoga), on-board boutique shopping.
- Enrichment: “Celebrity Lecture Series”. Rich contemporary art collections. Art auctions, enhanced golf program.
- “Celebrity Escape” concept (reserved exclusively for adults ages 21 and older) offers complimentary classes, workshops, themed events, fashion shows, deck parties, etc.
- By the “Family Cruising Program”, on all voyages are offered complimentary games, parties, educational activities, history and sea life explorations, dedicated/exclusive pools and discos for teens.
- Via partnership with Cantor Gaming, Celebrity Cruises introduced industry's first casino gaming mobile app. Passengers download the free app (Cantor Mobile Casino) via ship's WiFi network to Android or Apple phones/tablets. The app allows them to play slots, video poker and table games anywhere on the ship. At the ship's casino lounge passengers can play (for real) games like roulette, poker (plus Texas Hold 'Em) and blackjack. Some ships have Let It Ride and baccarat available upon request. All ships have at least 1 poker table in the casino and host tournaments during the voyage.
- Since 2013, the company has been partnered with “Top Chef” (US reality competition TV series). In late 2014, both companies started the exclusive “Top Chef at Sea” cruising experience. By this onboard culinary program, fans and foodies have the opportunity to travel with a lineup of celebrity chefs on food-themed "Top Chef Signature Sailing" each year. Celebrity also offers an interactive "Quickfire Challenges" and “Top Chef”-inspired menu evenings fleetwide on cruises 5-nights or longer (excluding Galapagos Islands).
- In 2017, Celebrity Cruises partnered with Bravo Media for a new cooking video series - "Isaac Takes On". This digital show follows Top Chef's Isaac Toups as he cruises around the Caribbean on the ship Celebrity Reflection, competing against passengers in a variety of culinary challenges. The ship has its own Michelin-star chef - Cornelius Gallagher, who also makes appearances throughout the series.
"Celebrity Revolution" fleetwide refurbishments
In July 2018, the company announced an USD 500 million fleet modernization (drydock refurbishment) program dubbed "Celebrity Revolution”. The project is scheduled for February 2019 through February 2023.
- Fleetwide renovations include all staterooms and public spaces on 9 liners to bring their onboard amenities and services up to the standards of Edge-class ships. For staterooms were contracted HBA (Hirsch Bedner Associates / US-based hospitality interior design company) and Kelly Hoppen (UK-based interior designer).
- All staterooms will be upgraded with eXhale bedding sets (premium cashmere mattresses) and high-tech amenities (RFID locks, Bluetooth, Xcelerate / Wi-Fi Internet).
- Renovated Celebrity cruise ships will have "The Retreat" (adults-only sundeck) with full-size swimming pool, Jacuzzi whirlpool, private cabanas, padded loungers, poolside bar service (food and drinks).
- Luminae Restaurant (Suites-only) will be redesigned and will be introduced new (custom-made) menus by chef Cornelius Gallagher.
- Qsine Restaurant will be added fleetwide and will offer "Le Petit Chef" (virtual dining-entertainment experience) created by Skullmapping artists and presented by TableMation Studios exclusively for Celebrity Cruises.
- Main Dining Rooms, Oceanview Cafe and Sunset Bar will be redesigned, as well as most public venues. In the SPA will be added expanded SEA Thermal Suite. Retail shops will be expanded with new shopping brands - including Hublot (luxury Swiss watches) and Shinola (luxury watches, jewelry, premium leather goods).
The 4-year fleet refurbishment program starts in February 2019. The current list of scheduled for drydocks Celebrity cruise ships (by the Celebrity Revolution project) is as follows:
- Celebrity Millennium: Feb 9, 2019
- Celebrity Summit: Mar 23, 2019
- Celebrity Equinox: May 25, 2019
- Celebrity Silhouette: Jan 24, 2020
- Celebrity Eclipse: Apr 1, 2020
- Celebrity Constellation: May 1, 2020
- Celebrity Infinity: Nov 14, 2020
- Celebrity Solstice: Oct 1, 2021
- Celebrity Reflection: Feb 2, 2023
Celebrity cruise gratuities (2017-2018 cruises)
Daily gratuities are per person (pp):
- USD 13,50 pp (interior, oceanview, balcony staterooms, both adults and kids)
- USD 14 (Aqua-Class and Concierge-Class staterooms)
- USD 17 pp (suites,)
- Daily gratuity is an automatic service charge added to the passenger's onboard account each day.
- Passengers can prepay gratuities.
- Daily gratuities are split between the ship's staff (dining, housekeeping, cabin stewards).
Celebrity cruise ship Room Service
Since 2015, Celebrity Cruises requires a fee of USD 3,95 for ordering items from the cruise ship's room service menu.
- Room Service is operated on each Celebrity cruise vessel and between 11pm - 6 am.
- Previously to September 2015, the basic room service items delivery to passengers' cabins was complimentary. The exception was for some premium items (like cheese platter, filet mignon, caprese salad).
- Passengers booked in cabins categories Suite, Concierge-class and Aqua-class don't pay room service fee.
New shipboard Wellness classes
In 2018, Celebrity and Canyon Ranch upgraded fleetwide the onboard fitness program by adding more (to a total of 20) fitness classes and wellness seminars for passengers. Of all classes, 6 are based on different exercise groups - Acupuncture (Pain Relief), Conditioning (Pilates), Longevity, Mindfulness (Spiritual Cycling), Nutrition (Detox 101), Sweat (Tabata).
Among the new wellness offerings are:
- "Acupuncture for Pain Relief" revives energy levels, treats pain and digestive discomfort, de-stresses, aids a healthy sleep.
- "Pilates to the Beat" is a mat class choreographed with upbeat songs.
- "Age-Defying Technology" reviews latest technologies, wellness products and services that help anti-aging.
- "Spiritual Cycling" Incorporates mind and energy awareness while cycling to musical beats.
- "Detox 101: Weight Loss and More" reviews the most effective detox foods and how they promote weight loss.
- "Tabata Impact" is a Japanese intense and fast full-body workout offering best cardio and training techniques.
Itinerary of Celebrity Cruises
Celebrity Cruise destinations include Alaska, Hawaii, Bermuda, Canada, Bahamas, Caribbean (all, but mostly Southern), Mexico, Panama Canal, South America, Australia New Zealand, Northern Europe from UK, Eastern and Western Mediterranean.
The Celebrity line owns one of the youngest and most innovative fleets. They all are Malta flagged, with the exception of Galapagos Islands fleet (flagged Ecuador).
Celebrity Cruises 2018 deployment features 282 destinations in 76 countries, 236 overnights in 55 ports and new ports of call. Deployment news includes Bermuda, Canada/New England, Alaska, Asia-Pacific and Europe.
- In 2018 Celebrity Summit is leaving from Fort Lauderdale on short-break itineraries - including 4-day trips to Key West and Nassau, and 5-day trips to Key West and Cozumel, with several days at sea.
- Beginning in 2016, Celebrity introduced chef-led shore excursions called “Chef’s Market Discoveries” with regional experts, local entertainment and authentic flavors.
- Celebrity Constellation and Celebrity Millennium offer Asia cruises in 2018. Celebrity Cruises ups India sailings to 8, which is the most in the history of the brand. The season in the region features a 15-night “Best of India and Sri Lanka” sailing along the ancient Spice Route. This once-in-a-lifetime tour to Taj Majal traces the origins of tea in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Another option is to relax on the beaches of Goa India. The line will also continue to sail from Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Celebrity Edge (scheduled launch 2018 December) operates 7-day (and 14-day back-to-back) Caribbean cruises leaving roundtrip from home-port Fort Lauderdale FLorida (USA). Eastern Caribbean sailings call at San Juan, Tortola, and St Maarten. Western Caribbean voyages take passengers to Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. During summer, the ship operates in Europe (Mediterranean, homepors Rome (Civitavecchia) and Barcelona) on 7-, 9-, 10- and 11-night long roundtrips, as well as 14-night long B2B (back-to-back cruise) that combines two 1-week long roundtrip itineraries. The ship's 2018 inaugural season in Europe (May hrough October) offers a total of 30 ports of call, visiting 10 countries and all 5 overnight port stays.
New to the Signature Event Sailings of the brand is the Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival in Taipei, Taiwan. It is available over the Chinese New Year on a cruise onboard Celebrity Millennium.
- Celebrity Solstice also offers western and southern Australia cruises in 2018, visiting ports of call like Adelaide and Perth, as well as an added opportunity to sail from Sydney to the Great Barrier Reef. The Solstice also continues to cross the Pacific Ocean on cruises to Hawaii and the South Pacific.
- Irish travel agents benefit from a dedicated cruise ship to sell when Celebrity Cruises becomes the first ever major cruise line to base a vessel in Dublin. One of line’s 2,800-plus passenger Solstice-class ships runs 5 sailings from the port of the Irish capital between April and June 2018. Itineraries run throughout northern Europe.
- Celebrity Silhouette sets sail out of Southampton for the first time, with itineraries including a new 12-night Scandinavia and Russia cruise in May 2018. Skagen and Kristiansand feature as new ports of call.
- Fleet's newest ship (Celebrity Edge) debuts with 7-night Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries.
- To coincide with the held in Russia football World Cup, the 14-night Scandinavia and Russia cruise aboard Celebrity Eclipse gives sports lovers the chance to attend the 3rd place game in Saint Petersburg and the final in Moscow through an overland tour. The vessel will operate out of Dublin from May till the end of June, 2018.
- The new signature events of Celebrity Cruises also include a 14-night celebration in February 2019 for Chinese New Year, with a cruise of Asia aboard Celebrity Constellation.
- For wine-lovers, the line continues partnership with The Wine Show, featuring 5 shore trips curated by show’s resident experts, Joe Fattorini and Amelia Singer.
- Other highlights featured in 2018-2019 include a brand new 13-night South Pacific, Fiji and Tonga cruise in March 2019 onboard Celebrity Solstice.
- A 13-night Brazilian voyage on Celebrity Eclipse February 2019 departs from Buenos Aires and visits Sao Paulo, Buzios, Ilhabela and Rio.
- 2018 sees a change of cruise ships for Celebrity Cruises in the UK market, which switches from Celebrity Eclipse in 2017 to the slightly bigger Celebrity Silhouette in 2018. Celebrity Eclipse finished her season on October 28, 2017 when she departed from Southampton to Boston, New York, Bermuda, Miami. In April 2018, the Eclipse returns to Europe, but not to the United Kingdom, instead operating 5 cruises from Dublin and 7 from Amsterdam prior to moving south to Barcelona.
- Celebrity Silhouette takes on the cruises of Eclipse from Southampton before moving to Amsterdam late in the season, and then on to Rome (Civitavecchia). The 2018 season of the ship commences on arrival at Southampton UK on April 30 out of Fort Lauderdale through Bermuda, Ponta Delgada and Lisbon. Following a program of 16 ex-UK cruises Silhouette's 2018 season ends with a departure from Southampton for Fort Lauderdale on November 3 through Boston, New York, Bermuda.
Celebrity Cruises 2019-2020 deployment for the Americas, Asia and Australia features Celebrity Millennium returning to Asia from late 2019 through early 2020. Celebrity Cruises itineraries include a 14-night voyage from Shanghai, Yokohama, Hong Kong, Singapore. Celebrity Constellation departs out of Dubai and retraces ancient Spice Route to Singapore. ‘Best of India and Sri Lanka’ itinerary visits Colombo, Goa, Mumbai, and many other port cities.
Celebrity Solstice sails around Australia. It is her 8th season Down Under. The cruise line has over 20 local sailings booked over more than 7 months. It is the longest season she has spent in Australia. This includes ship's first ever turnaround from Melbourne and Solstice calls at Eden and overnights in Sydney, Hobart, Cairns, Tauranga.
Itineraries range from 4 to 17 nights, sailing to/from Honolulu, Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland. Celebrity Solstice visits 35 destinations in 11 different countries, including ports in New Zealand, Australia, French Polynesia, Hawaii, Fiji, New Caledonia, Loyalty Islands, Vanuatu, Tonga, Samoa and American Samoa.
In addition, Celebrity Cruises offers 3 dedicated Queensland itineraries, of which one between Sydney and Auckland, as well as a South Pacific itinerary that will visit Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and American Samoa, plus a brand new 4-night sampler cruise out of Sydney with a visit to Melbourne.
Celebrity Cruises Caribbean itineraries
Celebrity Cruises lineup of Caribbean itineraries for 2019-2020 season includes 6 ships in the region: the newbuild Celebrity Edge, as well as Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Reflection, Celebrity Summit and Celebrity Silhouette.
- The new Celebrity Edge, once again sails on 7-night eastern and western Caribbean itineraries, visiting Tortola, Grand Cayman, St. Maarten, Key West and more. Passengers can book both itineraries back-to-back for a single Caribbean escape.
- Fresh from her multi-million-dollar refit, Celebrity Equinox offers new technology to continue with year-round Caribbean trips. Sailing out of Fort Lauderdale FL beginning summer 2019, Equinox visits ports like Punta Cana, Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, and more.
- In 2019-2020, Celebrity Infinity continues to sail on 4- and 5-night cruises from Fort Lauderdale FL, with alternating visits to Cozumel-Key West, and Key West-Nassau.
- In 2019 Celebrity Reflection returns to Caribbean, offering 10- and 11-night Ultimate Caribbean voyages, visiting a variety of tropical destinations, such as Antigua, Barbados, Aruba, St Lucia, Curacao, Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, and more.
- Citing popular demand, Celebrity said that Celebrity Silhouette is once again offering 9- and 12-night southern Caribbean cruises from Fort Lauderdale. The 9-night itinerary of the ship visits Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao and Grand Cayman, and is designed specifically to offer passengers a longer vacation while only being away for 5 work days. The 12-night voyage visits islands in Lesser Antilles including Barbados, St. Lucia, Grenada, and more.
- Celebrity Summit debuts a new look during 2019-2020 Caribbean season, with completely redesigned cabins. In 2019, the ship offers passengers the chance to explore both Bermuda and New England together on either a 10- or 11-night cruise, with calls at Portland, Bar Harbor and Boston. Celebrity once again offers an 11-night voyage that includes an overnight in Boston for the 4th of July and an overnight in Halifax to celebrate the birthday of Canada. The revitalized ship also continues with sailings to Bermuda and the Caribbean. Its 7-night southern Caribbean cruises departing roundtrip from San Juan call at destinations including new itineraries to Bonaire, Curacao and Aruba, while its 7-night Bermuda getaways give passengers 3 days and 2 nights on the island.
Celebrity Cruises Galapagos ships
On March 14, 2016, Celebrity announced its planned acquisition of the leading Galapagos cruise tour operator company "Ocean Adventures". The acquisition includes the two small vessels MV Eclipse (48-passenger) and the catamaran MC Athala II (16-passenger luxury catamaran). After their addition to the 98-passenger MS Xpedition ship, both vessels expanded the company's passenger capacity in the Galápagos Islands destination by 65%. The newly acquired ships joined the fleet in 2016 spring, but until the drydock refurbishments (January 2017) they continued to be operated with the Ocean Adventures amenities and programming.
- Celebrity Xpedition - 90-passenger expedition ship
- Celebrity Xperience (formerly MV Eclipse) - 48-passenger expedition ship
- Celebrity Xploration (formerly MC Athala II) - 16-passenger catamaran
- Celebrity Flora (2019) - 100 passenger newbuild
These vessels operate on Galapagos cruise itineraries (Baltra roundtrips on year-round schedule).
- The "Southern Loop" itinerary visits the islands Santa Cruz, Santa Fe, San Cristobal, Isabela, Espanola, Rabida, Genovesa, Bartolome.
- The "Northern Loop" itinerary visits the islands Santiago, Bartolome, Isabela, Fernandina, Isabela, Santa Cruz, Genovesa, and on the "Southern Loop" - Rabida, Isabela, Colon, Santa Cruz, Espanola.
Celebrity Cruises related cruise news
A dramatic helicopter operation on a Clebrity Cruises ship homeported in Dublin was held this morning, August 15, off Wexford's coast. A sick cruise...August 15, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Celebrity Cruises newest ship, Celebrity Edge, will boast with brand’s most technologically advanced main theater, as well as the most...August 14, 2018
- Cruise Industry
French shipbuilder Chantiers de l'Atlantique (former STX France, which regained the historic name earlier in July) reports that the Celebrity Edge...July 30, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The first steel was cut for the newest ship of Celebrity Cruises, Celebrity Apex, at Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard (former STX France) in Saint...July 24, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Celebrity Cruises announced that it will spend more than US$500 million during the next years to revitalize its fleet of luxury cruise ships. Dubbed...July 18, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Port Everglades' Terminal 25 will be redesigned and rebranded by Celebrity Cruises. The cruise line will use it as its home for the newbuild...June 21, 2018
- Cruise Industry
All 50 cruise ships across the fleet of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. will welcome 2019 free of plastic straws. Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity...June 12, 2018
A Coast Guard Air Station Sitka MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew has medevaced a woman from Celebrity Solstice close to Noyes Island, west of Craig, on...June 1, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Celebrity Cruises unveiled details about the spa onboard Celebrity Edge 6 months ahead of ship’s launch. The cruise line is giving agents the...May 18, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean added new functionality to AirWaves, line's dynamic packaging booking platform, following feedback from cruise travel agencies...May 8, 2018
- show more news