MSC Lirica Review and Specifications
Specifications of MSC Lirica
|Year built||2003 / Age : 14|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 270 million|
|Owner||Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC)|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||275 m / 902 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||65591 gt|
|Passengers||1976 - 2679|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Christened by||Sophia Loren|
Review of MSC Lirica
History - construction & ownership
MSC Cruises is a global cruise company based in Switzerland, with headquarters in Geneva and Naples. MSC is the largest privately-owned cruise company in the world, with offices in 45 countries and 15,500 employees worldwide. MSC Crociere S.p.A. (Italian) is part of the Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A. (MSC), which is the 2nd biggest container shipping operator in the world. MSC Cruises is the world's 4th largest cruise company, after Carnival Corp. & plc, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Lines with 5.2% share of all cruise passengers carried in 2015. In 2014 MSC Cruises announced that its four Lirica class ships were scheduled for renovation under the line's "Renaissance Programme".
Rge four vessels of this class were enlarged / elongated by 25 m (80 ft), adding around 200 new staterooms.
The 59,058-ton, 1,560-passenger cruise ship MSC Lirica was lengthened and refurbed as part of company’s Renaissance Programme, which costs EUR 200 million. The ship increased her capacity to 2,600 passengers. MSC Lirica has some new features specifically created for the Chinese market, such as signage in Mandarin, upmarket shops, different color scheme, Chinese food and entertainment. During the summer season MSC Lirica entertains mainly Europeans with multiple languages used onboard, so prepare to learn some Italian, German, French and Spanish if you want to communicate with fellow passengers.
Cruise itinerary program
MSC Lirica itinerary program is based on South America cruises leaving from Rio de Janeiro and Santos, and on 7-day Eastern Mediterranean voyages leaving from Venice to the Greek Islands. Lirica also operates cheap Transatlantic repositioning crossings between South America and Europe. The newly refurbished in 2015 MSC Lirica will be homeported in Shanghai from May 1, 2016 initially for 2 years. MSC Cruises operates a joint partnership with CAISSA Touristic (China), which has been running domestic sailings for many years.
Most MSC Lirica staterooms are 140-sq.foot Oceanview rooms (409). There are a total of 988 staterooms in 7 categories. The largest aboard MSC Lirica are the Balcony Suites (250 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
There are no dining surcharges onboard the MSC Lirica because there are no specialty restaurants on this ship. Lirica offers an abundance of Italian food, but the quality can vary. The La Bussola Restaurant on Deck 5 is the larger of the two main dining rooms. It features tables for two to six diners. The casual buffet is located on Deck 11 and provides an alternative to the main dining rooms.
Follows the complete list of MSC Lirica restaurants and food bars.
- La Bussola Restaurant (660-seat aft Dining Room, open for Breakfast 7:00-9:30 a.m., Lunch 12:00-2:00 p.m., and Dinner with 2 fixed seatings at 7:00 and 9:30p.m., features a 3-course menu for lunch, 7-course for dinner)
- L’Ippocampo Restaurant (400-seat aft Dining Room, dinner only, with 2 fixed seatings)
- La Pergola Restaurant (262-seats alfresco eatery with three sections - Full Bar, Pizzeria and Outdoor Grill)
- Le Bistrot Restaurant (281-seat complimentary self-service buffet restaurant; also serving Afternoon Tea)
- Sushi restaurant Kaito.
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
MSC Lirica public rooms are spacious and uniformly elegant, with grand touches of marble, brass accents, and lots of wood. The refreshing lack of glitz is more than compensated for by the sparkle of glass and a mixture of primary and neutral colors. MSC Cruises Lirica entertainment facilities include a casino, cinema, library, and all the rest professional venues that take place onboard all MSC vessels. Don’t forget to think about health – stay slim in the modern fitness center, try the two pools and two jacuzzis, or relax in the sauna. The “Lord Nelson” English pub is not to be missed, too. For kids, a special playroom is provided.
Follows the complete list of MSC Lirica lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Broadway Theatre (557-seat, 2-level; features grand-style show productions and classical concerts, with 2 shows per night - at 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.)
- Lord Nelson Pub (174-seats English pub bar)
- Cyber Cafe (Internet computers room)
- Rodeo Drive Shopping Arcade; Gallery (shop selling brand watches and jewelry); Jewelry Shop; Vogue Boutique; MSC Shop; Duty Free Shop
- Photo Gallery & Shop
- Beverly Hills Bar (239-seat cocktail bar; hosts bingo games, art auctions)
- L’Atmosphere (101-seat piano bar)
- Las Vegas Casino (111-seat, smoking allowed area, own full bar)
- Card Room & Library (24-seat double function room)
- Le Cabaret Lounge & Bar (139-seat dancing lounge with dance floor, hosts trivia quizzes, language lessons - Italian)
- The Coffee Corner (100-seat specialty coffee bar, with complimentary cookies and pastries)
- Lirica Lounge & Bar (440-seat show lounge for live music performances; hosts dance classes and night cabaret shows)
- MSC Lirica Aurea Spa & Fitness Complex (with Treatment Rooms, Thalassotherapy Room, Saunas, Steam Room, Relaxation Room, Beauty Salon, Gym with aerobics studio for classes)
- I Pirati Playroom (kids play area)
- Lirica’s Le Piscine Pool Area (with two twin salt water pools and two Whirlpools)
- La Canzone del Mare (with 3 sections - Main, La Gelateria Bar and Vitamin Bar)
- Chinese tea bar
- Teen Club (teenagers lounge for night disco, dance classes, sports-video games contests)
- Virtual Reality Video Games Arcade (tennis and foosball tables)
- The Blue Club Disco & Nightclub (215-seat, with own full bar)
- Sundeck with Solarium (adult-only relaxation area), Golf Simulator, 8-hole Mini Golf Course
- Power Walking/Jogging Track.
MSC Lirica wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 6
- Total number of cabins: 795 (of which 132 Suites, no Balcony, 276 Inside rooms)
- Don't forget that on MSC Lirica cruises kids sail for free!
- Dining Rooms: La Bussola, L'Ippocampo
- Restaurants and food bars: Le Bistrot (buffet), La Pergola (pizza/grill)
- Lounges & Bars: Broadway (theater), Le Cabaret, Lirica, Blue Club (nightclub), Lord Nelson (pub), L'Atmosphere, Coffee Corner, Beverly Hills, poolside bars.
- Amenities: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Children Program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
- Las Vegas (casino), Gym, Spa, 2 jacuzzis, 2 pools, Water Park with slide (2015 refurbishment). During the scheduled for 2015 refurbishment (major refit) MSC Cruises will stretch the Lirica ship. To MSC Lirica's body will be added a whole 82 ft /(25 m) long mid-section with new cabins and facilities.
- MSC Lirica cruise ship is the line's 3rd Lirica-class vessel. Her sisters in the fleet are the MSC ships Armonia, Opera, Sinfonia. One of the MSC's smallest ships of the Lirica-class, this is the first ever MSC newbuild passenger vessel.
- In 2015, MSC Lirica cruise ship was stretched (elongated by 25 m / 82 ft) in) during a drydock refit done at Fincantieri shipyard Palermo Sicily (between August 31 and November 9). During the dry-dock, the ship was cut in two and a pre-built section was inserted midship. The ship's reconstruction project was part of MSC Cruises' USD 273 million "Renaissance Program", by which besides Lirica were also enlarged MSC Armonia, MSC Opera and MSC Sinfonia. Among the newly added amenities and improvements were also nearly 200 new staterooms added on each ship.
- In September 2015, MSC Cruises announced the line's new partnership with one of the China’s largest tourism companies - CAISSA Touristic Group. Under this partnership, in 2016 the MSC ship Lirica will be home-ported in Shanghai China, starting operations in May 2016. This is the MSC line's first ever deployment for year-round operations on the Chinese market.
MSC Lirica related cruise news
MSC Lirica leaves Brazil earlier than expected. The ship is sailing for Palermo, Italy and Fincantieri on February 17, 2016 from Rio de...November 18, 2015
The refurbished MSC Lirica will be homeported in Shanghai from 1 May 2016, initially for a 2-year period. MSC Cruises will operate joint partnership...September 2, 2015
In early 2016, MSC Cruises will send MSC Lirica to Shanghai, China according to sources familiar with the new deployment. The cruise...August 19, 2015
- show more news