MSC Preziosa Review and Specifications
Specifications of MSC Preziosa
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 550 million|
|Owner||Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC)|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||333 m / 1093 ft|
|Beam (width)||38 m / 125 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||139072 gt|
|Passengers||3502 - 4378|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Christened by||Sophia Loren|
Review of MSC Preziosa
History - construction & ownership
MSC Cruises is a global cruise company based in Switzerland, with headquarters in Geneva and Naples. MSC is the largest privately-owned cruise company in the world, with offices in 45 countries and 15,500 employees worldwide. MSC Crociere S.p.A. (Italian) is part of the Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A. (MSC), which is the 2nd biggest container shipping operator in the world. MSC Cruises is the world's 4th largest cruise company, after Carnival Corp. & plc, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Lines with 5.2% share of all cruise passengers carried in 2015. In 2014 MSC Cruises announced that its four Lirica class ships were scheduled for renovation under the line's "Renaissance Programme". In 2015, the company offered four new ships from STX France and Fincantieri Italy, with an option for three more. The first two vessels are due to be delivered in 2017 - MSC Meraviglia in May and MSC Seaside in November.
The 139,072-ton, 4,345-passenger cruise ship MSC Preziosa is one of the largest ships in the fleet of MSC. The vessel is impressive not only with her size, but also with the features included. More than 80% of the cabins have ocean views, and many feature luxurious balconies. On board the MSC Preziosa there are more than 99 cabins marked as "VIP".
In the beginning, the vessel was commissioned by Colonel Gaddafi’s son Hannibal, who wanted a tank for 6 sharks to be present into the design. While the ship was under construction at a shipyard in France, the Libyan regime was overthrown in June 2011, so the plans of the son of Colonel Gaddafi’s failed. Mediterranean Shipping Company decided to buy the vessel in 2012.
Cruise itinerary program
MSC Preziosa itinerary program is based on 7-day Western Mediterranean cruises from Rome, Naples, Barcelona and Marseille. Preziosa also sails on South America voyages leaving from Santos and operates cheap Transatlantic repositioning crossings between South America and Europe.
Most MSC Preziosa staterooms are 210-sq.foot Balcony rooms (1133). There are a total of 1751 staterooms in 12 categories. The largest aboard MSC Preziosa are the Yacht Club Royal Suites (215 ft2). There are a total of 69 MSC Yacht Club suites offering private bar, solarium, hydro-massage pools, and the impressive glass-walled observation lounge with spectacular ocean views.
Dining options - Food & Drinks
On board the cruise ship MSC Preziosa guests may enjoy good and tasty cuisine with 4 available restaurants. For culinary addicts the perfect mouth-watering adventure will be the Galaxy restaurant – open-kitchen, boasting delicious dining all day.
Follows the complete list of MSC Preziosa restaurants and food bars.
- The Golden Lobster Restaurant (626-seat, 2-level forward Dining Room, offers different Italian traditional meals and wines; open for Breakfast 7:00-9:30 a.m., Lunch 12:00-2:00 p.m., and Dinner with 2 fixed seatings at 7:00 and 9:30p.m.; with 7-course dinner menu; also features vegan and vegetarian meals)
- L’Arabesque Restaurant (766-seat aft Dining Room, open for Breakfast 7:00-10:00 a.m., Lunch 12:00-2:00 p.m., and Dinner with 2 fixed seatings at 7:00 and 9:45p.m., features a 3-course menu for lunch, 7-course for dinner)
- La Locanda (105-seat wine bar & Italian specialty restaurant; offers lunch and dinner)
- Eataly Restaurant (80-seat Eataly Food Chain designed food store & specialty restaurant)
- Ristorante Italia (24-seat dinner-only Italian food restaurant & shop)
- Inca (412-seat, forward) and Maia (404-seat, aft) Buffet Restaurants (self service complimentary cafeterias with various food stations - Grill Corner, Pasta, Pizza, Carving Show, Ethnic Corner, Mediterranean, Bakery, Kids corner)
- La Palmeraie (100-seat aft Dining Room; MSC yacht club Suite guests only)
- Galaxy Lounge & Disco (126-seat a la carte specialty restaurant for lunch, dinner and nightclub).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
MSC Preziosa cruise ship is the 12th member of MSC passenger ships fleet. With Preziosa, the Mediterranean experience was brought to perfection. Her outstanding favourites and unique features such as the longest for MSC waterslide, the “MSC Yacht Club”, 30,000 sq.metres public areas, will help you enjoy the new irresistible opportunities and tailor each moment to your mood and taste.
On the MSC Cruises Preziosa ship you can experience the purifying effect of natural materials which radiate Mediterranean colours and light, including the Swarovski sweeping staircases, real stone piazza and the infinity magical pool. Remember to try the MSC sublime Aurea SPA with wellness and beauty treatments that will melt away every tension. If you simply want to sunbathe in privacy, soak up sun rays in the Preziosa’s sanctuary of serenity – the adults-only “Top 18”. It boasts stunning ocean views and premium deck space, not forgetting Top 18 dedicated own spa service, bar menu, fruit skewers – which are complimentary, of course. This one is the perfect place on the Preziosa ship to relax and unwind – for couples looking for romantic hideaways, groups of friends, or tired of kids parents who just look for some quiet time.
Be sure to experience the privilege to access world-class leisure, including Broadway-scale theatre, full-gaming casino and the luxury of the exclusive suites of MSC Yacht Club. Butler service, private decks and dedicated facilities – if it’s not enough, what about discovering MSC Preziosa exclusive innovations like the splash-packed games and fun of the kids aqua park Doremi Castle. Or the Vertigo swooping thrills – the longest on the seas water slide which is single-rider.
Follows the complete list of MSC Preziosa lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Preziosa Atrium (5-deck high central ship area with live entertainment)
- Preziosa Bar (28-seat Atrium Lobby bar)
- Cyber Library (Internet computers room & 10-seat library)
- Cybercafe (Internet computers room)
- Platinum Theatre (1600-seat, 2-level; features grand-style show productions and classical concerts, with 2 shows per night - at 8:00 p.m. and 10:15 p.m.)
- Millennium Star Casino (323-seat, smoking allowed area, own full bar)
- Poker Room (separate card games lounge)
- The Cigar Lounge & Bar (31-seat smoking room with full bar)
- Phoenician Plaza (80-seat Italian Square area with live music, Ice Cream Bar, Cocktail- and Wine Bars, Coffee Bar, Chocolate and Pastry shop)
- The Mini Mall (Duty Free Shop); La Boutique; MSC Logo Shop; Il Gioiello; Accessories; L’Angolo dell’Oggetto; La Caramella; La Profumeria; Fashion Bijoux; Adidas Corner; The Pool Shop; Photo Gallery & Shop
- Diamond Bar (98-seat, with live music from ship's Atrium)
- El Dorado Bar (108-seat piano bar with live music and specialty cocktails)
- Gallery Plaza (art exhibitions & auctions)
- The Green Sax Bar (106-seat jazz bar with liquor selection, live music and quiz games)
- Sports and Bowling Diner (87-seat; has large TVs and bowling lanes)
- Il Cappuccino Bar (58-seat specialty coffee bar; offers complimentary cookies and pastries)
- Safari Lounge (295-seat aft show lounge with full bar and dance floor; hosts shows, bingo, trivia quizzes)
- MSC Preziosa Aurea Spa (1700 m2 complex, with 2 Steam Rooms and 4 Saunas, Frigidarium, Relaxation Room, Treatment Rooms, Thalassotherapy hot tubs, 3 Whirlpools, sliding-roof heated pool, Aerobics Studio/Yoga classes, Solarium Area, Beauty Salon, Bar)
- Fitness (complimentary Gym, fitness classes at surcharge)
- La Playa Preciosa Pool (has a sliding glass roof, 3 Whirlpools; served by La Playa Preciosa Bar)
- Aqua Park (family pool, two Whirlpools, splash area, water jets, fountains)
- Nutella Corner (chocolate parlor); Happy Puppy (ice cream parlor)
- Turquoise Bar (97-seat poolside bar)
- Saphir Bar (Aqua Park poolside bar)
- Top Sail Lounge (141-seat MSC Yacht Club Lounge with piano live music, afternoon tea)
- Doremi Castle Aqua Park Adventures (kids play area with kids pool, TVs, movies, crafts, games, climbing area, mini-football; with a 2-section Kids Club - for children 3-6 yo, and Junior - for 7-12 yo; also hosts feature activities by MSC-LEGO partnership called “Lego Experience at Sea”)
- Teen’s Area (live music, dance classes, sports & video games)
- Brezza Marina (solarium complex with 2 Whirlpools)
- The Garden Pool (adult-only “infinity pool” with 2 Whirlpools, served by Garden Bar)
- Video Games Arcade; Virtual World (ten video games arcades); F1 Simulator (Formula 1 car racing)
- 4D Cinema (ten moving seats)
- MSC Arena Sports Center (combined sports court- basketball, volleyball, soccer, with stadium seating and outdoor large movie screen); Shuffleboard, Table Tennis, Squash
- MSC Yacht Club Area; The One Pool (MSC Yacht Club members only, with 2 Whirlpools, served by The One Bar)
- Top 18 Exclusive Solarium (adult-only area, with one Whirlpool, garden, Tiki Bar)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track.
MSC Preziosa wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 12
- Total number of cabins: 1751 (of which 107 Suites, 1142 Balcony, 415 Inside rooms)
- Dining Rooms: Golden Lobster, L’Arabesque
- Restaurants and food bars: buffets (Inca, Maia), Italian cuisine (Eataly, Ristorante Italia), La Palmeraie (yachtclub)
- Lounges & Bars: Platinum (theater), nightclubs (Graffiti’s, Galaxy), Safari, Preziosa, Cigar, Diamond, Green Sax, Sports (bowling), El Dorado, Il Cappuccino, La Locanda (wine), Turquoise (waterpark), Top Sail (Yacht club), poolside bars.
- Amenities: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Children Program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry, Aurea Spa Suites (32).
- Millennium Star (casino), Promenade Deck, Spa, Gym, 12 jacuzzis, 4 pools (La Playa/covered, The One/yachtclub), 4D cinema, F1 car simulator, Preziosa Water Park with slide.
- MSC Preziosa cruise ship is the flagship of MSC Cruises (a modified Fantasia-class vessel, Inaugural cruise March 25, 2013), the line's newest of the Fantasia-class vessels. Her sisters in the fleet are the MSC ships Divina, Fantasia, Splendida.
- History: this ship (under the name "Phoenicia") was originally ordered to STX France by the Libyan company "General National Maritime Transport Corporation". The new vessel was to feature a huge shark aquarium into its design. Due to Libyan civil war which started in 2011, the STX company canceled the contract, and began looking for a new buyer. On March 13, 2012, MSC reached an agreement with STX to buy the new ship for US$ 550 mill.
- The Preziosa ship features over 100 more cabins than the other Fantasia ships, a new restaurant, an enlarged MSC Yacht Club, an "infinity edge pool" in the adults only "Top 18 Exclusive Solarium" serenity area, the "Vertigo" water-slide (394 ft / 120 m long), the "Doremi Castle" (adventure park for kids).
- Don't forget that on MSC Preziosa cruises kids sail for free!
MSC Preziosa related cruise news
MSC Cruises changed its Internet offerings by decreasing prices, increasing bandwidth and allowing access for more devices per package. In a...April 19, 2016
MSC Cruises’ focus on South American cruise market has been sharpened by the announcement that the line has started selling its...October 19, 2015
MSC Cruises announced its South America program 2016-2017. The company will reduce tonnage from 5 to 4 ships as MSC Armonia, Musica...September 25, 2015
MSC Cruises announced that it was suspending scheduled port calls in Tunisia for the upcoming 2015-2016 winter season. The winter schedule of MSC...July 9, 2015
Other MSC Cruises cruise ships
MSC Preziosa Itineraries 2017
The below listed MSC Preziosa cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest MSC Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
MSC Preziosa Itineraries 2018
The below listed MSC Preziosa cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest MSC Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.