Stena Europe ferry current position
Stena Europe ferry current location is at North East Atlantic Ocean (coordinates 50.15179 N / -5.05333 W) cruising en route to FALMOUTH. The AIS position was reported 2 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Stena Europe ferry
|Year of build||1981 / Age: 42|
|Flag state||United Kingdom|
|Builder||Gotaverken (Goteborg, Sweden)|
|Class||cruiseferry (Ro-Pax ship)|
|Ferry route / homeports||Fishguard-Rosslare|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 km/h / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||149 m / 489 ft|
|Beam (width)||27 m / 89 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||24828 gt|
|Former names||MS Lion Europe, MS Stena Saga, MS Kronprinsessan Victoria|
|Owner||Stena AB (via Stena RoRo AB)|
|Operator||STENA LINE (via Stena Ropax Ltd)|
Stena Europe ferry Review
Review of Stena Europe ferry
MS Stena Europe ferry is a Ro-Pax passenger vessel operated by the Sweden-based company STENA LINE. The ship has a max capacity of 1386 passengers and 564 cars. The vessel was launched in 1981 and currently operates on the Wales UK-Ireland ferry route Fishguard-Rosslare Europort (crossing time 3,5 hours).
NEWS: In February 2023, Stena Line confirmed its plans to deploy on the Wales-Ireland route (Fishguard-Rosslare) the 2000-built Stena Nordica. Starting in July 2023, Nordica had to replace Stena Europe which was deployed on this route for 21 years (since 2002). Stena Europe's new deployment (or sale) is yet to be announced. Nordica is currently serving the route Holyhead-Dublin.
As cruise ferry, Stena Europe has a total of 452 berths. All staterooms are air-conditioned and with en-suite bathrooms. Cabins (inside and outside) have a max capacity of 4 passengers. The ferry company provides bed linens, towels, and toiletries. Some staterooms are wheelchair-accessible (adapted for disabled passengers). The ship also offers "pet-friendly" cabins.
Stena Europe stateroom categories include:
- 1-berth / Single Outside Disabled (1 lower bed, Picture window)
- 2-berth / Twin Inside (1 lower bed, 1 bunk bed, no window)
- 2-berth / Twin Outside (1 lower bed, 1 bunk bed, Picture window)
- 4-berth / Quad Outside (4 beds / 2 lower + 2 bunk, Picture window)
- Comfort Class 2-berth / Twin Outside (2 lower beds, Picture window, complimentary minibar, coffee/tea making facilities)
All cabins are equipped with luxury DUX beds and mattresses, Hansgrohe bathroom faucets and showerheads, phones, TVs (satellite reception), desk (mirrored vanity table with chair), open wardrobe.
For reserved seating, passengers can upgrade to Stena Plus Lounge. Reserved seat deals are inclusive of airline-type seats (fully reclining leather armchairs), complimentary hot and cold beverages (coffee, specialty teas, soft drinks, wine by the glass), snacks, newspapers, magazines.
All passengers must vacate their staterooms 30 min prior to homeport arrival.
Shipboard dining and entertainment options
As facilities, the Stena Europe ship offers:
- Metropolitan Grill (serves hot food, fish & chips, pizza, jacket potato, pie & mash. Children's menus, vegetarian and gluten-free meals are also available)
- Barista Coffee Bar (patisserie/specialty coffee bar selling sandwiches, cakes, pastries, fruit salads, yogurt, ice cream, hot/cold drinks)
- Metropolitan Bar (serves a range of wines and continental beer)
- Children's Room (indoor soft play playground for kids fitted with large TV for watching cartoons, toys, and games, supervised activities)
- Teen Town (video games room with arcade machines)
- Stena Shopping Center (gifts, souvenirs, spirits, wines, tobaccos, brand perfumes and cosmetics, skincare products, leather goods, toys, confectionery, fashion clothing and accessories, gadgets and electronics, designer watches, sunglasses and jewelry, convenience goods and travel essentials). Onboard retail shopping promotions are often held and provide up to 50% discounted pricing on big brand merchandise.
- Cinema (tickets are available at the ship's Reception / Guest Services Desk)
- Truckers Lounge (truck drivers only bar lounge and restaurant)
- free Wi-Fi service
- Bureau de Change and ATM (cash machine (next to Information Desk / Reception on Lobby Deck)
- Aft on its top deck (Heli Deck) there is a helipad - helicopter landing area used in cases of emergency.
- All bars and lounges are fitted with large TVs and comfortable seating.
All onboard emergency instructions are displayed in staterooms, on the TV screens and at the ship's assembly stations (aka muster stations). Life jackets are issued at the assembly stations. In case of emergency, the use of elevators/passenger lifts is forbidden.
STENA ferry deals
Follows a list of discounts and special offers provided by Stena Line (direct bookings only).
- On the routes Holland-UK (Hook of Holland-Harwich, day voyages only), Denmark-Norway (Frederikshavn-Oslo, Monday to Friday only), Denmark-Sweden (Grenaa-Varberg) and Germany-Sweden (Rugen Island / Sassnitz-Trelleborg and Rostock-Trelleborg), passengers can ferry caravans free of charge. This discount applies to the car plus caravan fares and can't be combined with other offers.
- Motorhomes can be ferried between UK and Holland priced as cars (day voyages only).
- STENA's train and ferry deals offer discounted pricing on train travel to London (fares subject to availability). STENA issues e-tickets (not separate train tickets) and the passenger's self-printed e-ticket serves as a train ticket. Dutch Railways tickets (to and from the port) can't be included in the ferry booking. These e-tickets are not valid on private UK rail carriers. Intercity Direct and ICE trains are with extra charge.
- Special meals (vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal food, gluten- or lactose-free foods) can be pre-ordered on the UK-Holland route Harwich-Hook of Holland. All the ingredients used for these special meals are verified by their manufacturers. Vegetarian meals contain dairy products, eggs, vegetables. Muslim meals don't contain pork (or by-products) as well as food containing alcohol. Special food orders must be made 48 hours prior departure (via email upon booking or by calling +31 (0)174 - 315 811).
- In 2013, the ships Britannica and Hollandica were equipped each with 2 electric car charging points (3,7 kW 16A, Euro standard Type 2). However, these charging points can't be pre-booked. Charging an electric car on the ship is free of charge and takes 4-6 hours. Only on the ships Britannica and Hollandica, change machines (ATM by GWK Travelex) located in the lobby area (Deck 9, opposite the Reception Desk).
- Only on the ships serving the Denmark-Norway route (Frederikshavn-Oslo), there are power connections (at a fee) for caravan fridges and freezers.
- Hand luggage restrictions per person (carried in the ship's public areas) max dimensions 60x50x40 cm and up to 12 kg. Foot passengers are allowed to bring only 2 pieces of extra luggage (up to 20 kg), checked-in on day voyages (unless there is a booked cabin). Car passengers must leave their luggage in the vehicle. Remember that car decks are closed during the voyage. Any extra baggage will be surcharged.
- All STENA ships allow boarding with LPG-fueled vehicles ("liquefied petroleum gas").
- The company doesn't allow 36-week pregnant women to travel, as well as 34 weeks pregnant when expecting more than one baby.
- Passengers with restricted mobility will be assisted prior departure and also onboard. Such passengers must contact the company's staff at least 48 hours prior to departure (via email or by calling +31 (0)174-315811). Wheelchair passengers must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior to departure and go to the company's check-in desk.
- Bicycles can be ferried (at a fee) on all STENA ships and on all routes.
- Tickets with blank return date are not offered. However, it is possible to book "open ticket" with a temporary date, that can be changed later to the actual return date.
STENA LINE's deals are categorized as "Economy", "Flexi" and "Premium". ECONOMY fares are always the cheapest, but with an amendment fee and without refund for changes and cancellations. FLEXI fares allow changes to be made to your booking at no cost. Passengers only pay the difference in fare, with the option of a full refund for canceling. PREMIUM fares (depending on routes) offer different bonus perks, such as express boarding and disembarkation, Stena Plus Lounge seats, included Breakfast. PREMIUM deals are not available on the routes Sassnitz / Rostock-Trelleborg, Grenaa-Varberg, Nynashamn-Ventspils (Latvia), and Travemunde-Liepaja (Latvia). PREMIUM fares on the route Hook of Holland-Harwich are inclusive of Stena Plus Lounge seat and Breakfast (on night voyages only).
Pets on the ship
Pets (dogs, cats, and ferrets) can be ferried on all STENA ships, but some requirements depend on the itinerary (destination).
- Pets are not allowed in passenger cabins unless the stateroom is "pet-friendly" (usually 2-bed dog's cabin).
- All ships have a dog toilet.
- At all times during the voyage, dogs must be leashed and muzzled, and never left alone.
- Guide dogs travel for free and are allowed on all passenger decks and in the owners' cabin (but must wear a harness or jacket).
On STENA ferries serving Scandinavian routes (to Sweden, Norway, Latvia) are required valid EU pet passports with standard information about the animal's identity, vaccinations (other treatments). Pets also must have an approved microchip (or tattoo) and rabies vaccination by an authorized veterinarian. Pets traveling to Norway must be treated for tapeworm. Passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 1 hour prior to departure.
On STENA ferries to England and Ireland, passengers with pets must arrive at the port at least 2 hours prior departure. For all other routes, this time is 1 - 1,5 hours. All animals are subject to the UK Pet Travel scheme rules and must be at least 15 weeks old. EU pet passports and microchips are required. Car passengers can ferry up to 5 animals (per vehicle). These cars receive a colored hanger (placed on the windscreen rear-view mirror until customs are cleared in each port). Pets in vehicles must remain inside at all times. Foot passengers are allowed up to 5 pets, but the pre-booking of an onboard kennel is required. Children traveling with an animal must be 16 years old. When traveling with 6 or more animals, they must be at least 6 months old.
All STENA ships have onboard kennels, of which 7x big (100x97x94 cm), 2x medium-sized (100x64x108 cm) and 16x small (100x65x50 cm). All cabins provide TV monitoring of the kennels. Visits of the pet during the voyage are recommended.
Car decks can be loaded on 2 levels with vehicle access from both bow and stern. Follows a list of car decks-related safety procedures:
- Disabled passengers or those requiring specific assistance should visit the ship's Information Desk (open 24-hours).
- Apply handbrake and place the vehicle in park or 1st gear position. Switch off the ignition, alarm, electrical equipment, headlights. Gas cylinders, if any, must be switched off. Lock the vehicle.
- From your vehicle take only valuables and essential hand baggage.
- Make a note of your vehicle's location and garage deck number/stairway before leaving the car deck.
- Access to the ship's vehicle (cargo) decks during the voyage is prohibited.
- Smoking on vehicle decks, as well as in cabins and passenger lounges is forbidden.
- Wait for the onboard announcement before returning to your vehicle.
In order to avoid air pollution, don't start the engine until instructed.
The shipowner Stena Line (fleet, 1962-founded, headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden) is one of the world's largest ferry companies, providing freight and travel services on Northern Europe's routes that connect UK, Ireland, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Poland.
Stena Europe ferry - user reviews and comments
Photos of Stena Europe ferryAdd Photo
Stena Europe ferry ship related cruise news
Emergency services were called in order to respond after a fire broke out on a ferry traveling between Ireland and Pembrokeshire on Saturday...February 12, 2023
The new cruiseferry of STENA LINE has been taken off the Holyhead-Dublin route for repairs and maintenance due to engine problems - just 4 months...May 2, 2020
- show more news
Other STENA LINE cruise ships
Stena Europe ferry Wiki
The vessel was built in 1981 and launched under the name "MS Kronprinsessan Victoria" for the company Sessan Line (in 1981 acquired by STENA LINE). Initially, the ferry served the Sweden-Denmark route Goteborg-Frederikshavn.
In March 1982, following a major drydock refit, the ship started the Goteborg-Kiel service. The reconstruction included adding more passenger cabins on deck to allow overnight crossings. In 1988, the ship was again reconstructed (more cabins added on deck 10) for the new Norway-Denmark service Oslo-Frederikshavn. After the refit, the ferry was renamed to "Stena Saga".
In 1994, the ship was deployed on UK England-Holland route Harwich-Hook of Holland. Prior to the new service, the vessel was again refitted (this time removing the cabin block added in 1988) and renamed to "MS Stena Europe". In 1997, the ship was transferred to Lion Ferry (STENA LINE's subsidiary company) under the name "MS Lion Europe". In the period 1997-2001, the ferry served the Sweden-Poland route Karlskrona-Gdynia.
In January 2002 the ship underwent a GBP 4,5 million drydock refit (at City Shipyard, Goteborg). During the refit, all main lounges were refurbished and the added in 1982 on car deck 10 cabins were removed to restore the vessel's original freight capacity. In March 2002, following the refit, Stena Europe was deployed on the Wales-Ireland route Fishguard-Rosslare.
In November 2008, the ship underwent a EUR 0,85 million drydock refit when some of the main lounges were refurbished. During drydock 2010, Stena Plus (reserved seating lounge) was revamped and the Barista Coffee Bar was added, as well as a new Seating Lounge (Deck 7).
Ship's drydock refurbishment in 2019 (April through October) at Gemak Shipyard (Tuzla, Turkey) included significant upgrades, among which modifications of the main vehicle deck (allowing full-height trailers across the entire cargo deck), renewal of most windows, engine overhaul, hull blasting and re-painting (fuel-efficient silicon coating), renovations of all passenger stairwells, redesigning Barista Coffee, upgrades to the Reception/Information Desk, indoor decor improvements. During the drydock period, Stena Europe's schedule was operated by the fleetmate Stena Nordica (originally deployed on the Sweden-Poland route Karlskrona-Gdynia).