Costa Serena Review and Specifications
Specifications of Costa Serena
|Year built||2007 / Age : 10|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||EUR 450 million (USD 565 million)|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||289 m / 948 ft|
|Beam (width)||38 m / 125 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||114147 gt|
|Passengers||3014 - 3617|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Marion Cotillard|
Review of Costa Serena
History - construction & ownership
Costa Crociere is a British-American owned Italian cruise line based in Genoa, Italy. Costa is one of the main operating companies in the Carnival group, and a member of the exclusive “World’s Leading Cruise Lines Alliance” (WLCLA), which also includes Carnival, Cunard, Holland America, The Yachts of Seabourn, Princess, and Windstar. One of the best cruise lines for Mediterranean and among the best family lines, the Costa company rules over Europe with its best “Italian Style Cruising” experiences.
The 114,147-ton, 2,838-passenger cruise ship Costa Serena is Carnival Corporation ownership, built in Italy with European market in mind. Together with the sunken Costa Concordia, Serena is among the largest ships in Costa fleet. She is the 12th vessel of Costa Cruises. Serena’s decor is calm, with blue & orange colours and heated woods. Standard balcony cabins’ size is decent – about 220 sq.ft., laid out like newer Carnival liners’ passenger cabins. The two big mirrors give illusion of space. No bathroom conveniences are provided apart from shower stuff and soap, but you might ask for moisturiser or shampoo.
Cruise itinerary program
As of April 2015, Costa Serena is deployed in Asia.
Most Costa Serena staterooms are 185-sq.foot Balcony rooms (524) - nearly 40% of all staterooms have a private balcony. There are a total of 1507 staterooms in 14 categories. 28 are the wheelchair accessible cabins. The largest aboard Costa Serena are the Grand Suites (455 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Ristorante Vesta is Serena's 2-tier forward formal restaurant. It offers fixed seating options of early and late dining. The restaurant serves starters, appetisers, main courses of fish or meat, side dishes, salads and desserts (vegetarian options and special dietary requirements are also available). Ristorante Ceres is the ship's 2-tier aft formal restaurant, featuring fixed seating options of 6:30 p.m. or 9:00 p.m. The Samsara Restaurant, located on deck 3, offers a range of healthy food with the latest cooking techniques and a selection of special ingredients. The restaurant is free to guests in the Samsara cabins, whilst other passengers can dine there for a charge (booking required).
Follows the complete list of Costa Serena restaurants and food bars.
- Ristorante Vesta (complimentary forward Dining Room, operates with open seating Breakfast and Lunch, 2 assigned seatings for Dinner - at 6:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.)
- Ristorante Ceres (complimentary 2-level aft Dining Room with 2 fixed Dinner seatings)
- Club Bacco Restaurant (specialty a la carte restaurant; Steakhouse menu and extensive wine list; dinner-only, reservations required)
- Ristorante Samsara (serves healthy and low calorie food; with complimentary dining room for guests in Samsara Spa cabins, and a specialty restaurant for other passengers, at surcharge/reservations required)
- Ristorante Buffet Prometeo (self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary; offers breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea at 4-5:00 p.m., and dinner; in the evening is transformed into Pizzeria, complimentary, with waiter service).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Costa Serena ship provides casino, theater, library, four pools & five jacuzzis plus SPA. If you plan to make best use of the SPA, we highly recommend Samsara Spa suites & cabins. Main features are their doors which have bamboo-effect and their restful decor with calming colours. You’ll find also orchids in vases, along with gorgeous bedding, herbal teas, eco-cotton bathrobes, together with a lovely Elemis goodies box in the bathroom. The spa pack includes welcome consultation, two classes & two spa treatments with two tanning sessions, along with unlimited access to thermal suite and dining in Samsara.
Follows the complete list of Costa Serena lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Teatro Giove (3-tiered theatre and main show lounge; hosts grand scale show productions, musicals, classical concerts, ballet performances, circus and laser light shows)
- 4D cinema room (featuring 3D films with moving seats)
- Grand Bar Apollo (with own dance floor and stage for live performances; hosts quiz games and fashion reviews)
- Bar Sport Victoria (with big-size flat TVs)
- Bar Classico Ercole (Cigar Lounge & Bar; also selling cigars and fine liquor)
- Galleria d’Arte (Pacifica’s Art Gallery)
- Sala Carte (cards room)
- Casino Giano (served by Giano Bar)
- Serena Atrium (multi-deck “Atrio Pantheon” - open-floor area with live music and entertainment, served by Pantheon Lobby Bar)
- Recording Studio (authentic CD-recording; charges EUR 35 per hour)
- Sala da Ballo “Cupido” (lounge with dance floor and own bar)
- Piano Bar “Minerva” (stage for cabaret performances, live music, own dance floor)
- Salone Luna (grand lounge with round-shaped bar and stage)
- Discoteca Pan (Disco & Nightclub, DJ program nightly)
- Internet Point (Internet computers room); Biblioteca Clio (Library)
- Galleria Shops (duty & tax free shops for brand watches, jewelry, perfumes, fashion clothes, Costa-logo merchandise, sportswear, gifts, tobacco and liquor)
- Area Foto (Photo Gallery & Shop)
- Mondo Virtuale & PlayStation World corner
- Caffetteria Juventas (chocolates, specialty coffee bar & patisserie)
- Bar Scuderia Costa (themed bar Formula 1 with Grand Prix simulator)
- Cappella (Wedding Chapel, also used for religious services)
- Squok Club (kids lounge with Mini Club (3-6 yo) and Maxi Club (7-11 yo) playing rooms; with complimentary kids programme and supervised activities; complimentary babysitting)
- Teen Zone (teenagers' lounge with Teen Junior (12-14 yo) and Teen Club (15-17 yo) rooms; complimentary supervised activities, themed parties, sport contests)
- Centro Banessere Samsara (2-level Spa & Wellness complex, with Fitness and separate Spinning/Aerobics Room; Venus Beauty Salon, Massages and Treatments Rooms, Japanese TeaRoom, Relaxation Room, Thermal Suites, Solarium, Tepidarium (heated loungers), Laconium (low humidity sauna), Aroma Steam Baths, Thalassotherapy pool, Turkish Bath, Solarium, Saunas, Kinesis Room. All Serena’s guests in Samsara Spa staterooms have free access to most of the Spa complex)
- Lido Sole pool area (lido pool with two Whirlpools, huge LED screen, PlayStation nights; served by Lido Sole Bar & Grill); Sole Balcony
- Lido Urano pool area (with two Whirlpools; served by Urano Bar)
- Lido Iris Pool area (with retractable glass roof and Whirlpool)
- Lido Squok (kids’ mini Aqua park)
- Solarium (open-air relaxation area)
- Campo da Gioco (combined court for tennis and basketball); Pista da Jogging (Power Walking/Jogging Track), doubled with a Roller Skating Track; Putting Green Area; Virtual Golf Game.
Costa Serena wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 13
- Total number of cabins: 1507 (of which 58 Suite, 521 Balcony, 579 Inside rooms)
- Dining Rooms: Vesta, Ceres
- Restaurants and food bars: Prometeo (buffet), Club Bacco (steakhouse), Samsara (Spa rooms passengers).
- Lounges & Bars: Giove (theater), Pan (nightclub), Pantheon (lobby), Juventas (chocolates, patisserie), Minerva (piano), Ercole (smoking), Apollo, Cupido (ballroom), Salone Luna, teens-kids clubs (Teen Zone, Squok Club), poolside bars.
- Amenities: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service & Babysitting, Supervised Children Program, Internet, Laundry, Onboard Weddings, Spa Staterooms (87, & 12 Spa Suites), single cabins (13).
- Giano (casino), aroundship Promenade (Deck 3), Samsara Spa, 5 jacuzzis, 4 pools (Sole /covered, Urano, Iris /covered, kids pool), Jogging-Roller Skating Tracks, Serena Water Park with slide, Mondo Virtuale (PlayStation World & 4D cinema room), F1 car simulator. There are 5990 art works onboard.
- Costa Serena cruise ship is the 2nd of the line's biggest Concordia-class vessels (first cruise May 19, 2007, from Marseille). Her sisters are the Costa Cociere ships Fascinosa, Favolosa, Pacifica, and the Carnival Splendor.
- Serena's theme is "Classical Mythology" - Greek Gods and Goddesses. One of the most beautiful facilities on board is the impressively luxurious Samasara Spa. The ninety-nine Samsara cabins and suites are decorated with calming pastel colours, orchids in vases, doors are with bamboo-effect. Baths have Elemis goodies box, herbal teas, bathrobes for their guests are from eco-cotton.
- The busy Deck 5, the big capacity Vesta and Ceres main dining restaurants, the top-deck waterslide and the amazing nine-story atrium lobby make Serena's layout resembling to a Carnival "Fun Ship".
- In 2009 the ship was featured in the National Geographic' documentary series "Cruise Ship Diaries".
- On March 11, 2017, Costa Serena docked at Jeju port in the afternoon. However, all passengers (over 3,400) refused to disembark, while at the Jeju port cruise terminal, customs officers, tour guides and around 80 buses were waiting for them.
Asia cruise itineraries
On May 12, 2014, the ship's owner Carnival Corporation announced that in 2015 Serena will be deployed for year-round operations in China. The ship's cruise itinerary program was scheduled to start in April 2015, with round-trip departures from Shanghai. joining there the Costa ships Atlantica and Victoria.
On April 24, 2015, Costa Serena made her maiden visit in China, arriving for the first time in her new home-port Shanghai (Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal). The Costa Asia cruise company confirmed that Costa Fortuna will join the line's China-based fleet in early 2016. The Serena’s arrival increased the Costa line's capacity on the Asian market by 74%, thus reinforcing the Costa Asia’s leading position on the Chinese market. The fleet of Costa Asia cruise ships in 2016 also included Luminosa, neoRiviera and Fortuna.