Norwegian Escape Review and Specifications
Specifications of Norwegian Escape
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||EUR 700 million (USD 920 million)|
|Owner||Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||326 m / 1070 ft|
|Beam (width)||42 m / 138 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||163000 gt|
|Passengers||4266 - 5218|
|Decks with cabins||12|
|Christened by||Armando Christian Perez (Pitbull)|
Review of Norwegian Escape
Launched in 2015, Norwegian Escape is the 1st of the three Breakaway Plus-class newest and biggest NCL ships – together with Norwegian Joy (2017) and Norwegian Bliss (2018). This class ships are approximately 7,000 GT larger in comparison to the previously biggest vessel of the line, Norwegian Epic. The NCL Escape ship cost US $920 million to build (October 2012 shiporder rates).
History - construction & ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line Corporation Ltd. (Norwegian) is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCLH (Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd). This American cruise company is headquartered in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, Florida. In 1966 Norwegian began operations under the name "Norwegian Caribbean Line". The NCL company is best known for the Freestyle Cruising concept, meaning that there are no set times and seating arrangements for meals, formal attire is not required. Norwegian is a publicly traded company with 44% publicly listed on NASDAQ, with major shareholders (as of 30 June 2014): Genting Group (28%), Apollo Global Management (20%), and TPG Capital (7.9%). NCL controls nearly 8% of the total worldwide share of cruise market.
The 163,000-ton, 4,248-passenger cruise ship Norwegian Escape received her name in a USA TODAY contest. Guy Harvey was the lucky man chosen in 2014 to paint the Escape’s hull art. Norwegian Escape boasts the innovative features found on Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway, as well as a number of new interactive experiences. The new 4,200-passenger miracle by NCL features an expanded Haven – the line’s concept “ship within a ship”. This space (accessible only by keycard) boast an outdoor terrace, private restaurant, courtyard area with retractable roof pool, whirlpools, spa treatment rooms, separate sauna, private sundeck. Other differences from the Escape-class NCL vessels are: more Haven Suites (42 to 55), 26 additional Penthouses, 14 Spa access suites, more Studio cabins (59 to 82). The home port of the ship is Port of Miami.
Cruise itinerary program
Most Norwegian Escape staterooms are 170-sq.foot Balcony rooms (1168). There are a total of 2206 staterooms in 42 categories. 47 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Norwegian Escape are the Haven Deluxe Owner’s Suites (900 ft2).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Norwegian Cruise Line introduced Norwegian Escape's à la carte specialty dining at the signature specialty restaurants onboard, providing passengers the freedom to savor gourmet dishes, various tastes and the flexibility to choose the number of courses to enjoy during the meal. On Norwegian Escape guests can choose between 11 complimentary dining options. They can also experience new flavors at signature specialty restaurants, such as Le Bistro, La Cucina, Cagney’s Steakhouse and Bayamo by James Beard Award winning chef Jose Garces. Norwegian’s signature specialty restaurants feature enhanced menus including favorite dishes and new tastes. Whether passengers prefer a light meal of a favorite soup or appetizer, or indulge in a dinner featuring Maine lobster, with the new à la carte options, they have the opportunity to create their own, desired dining experience.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Escape restaurants and food bars.
- Private Room at Taste (100-seat, group private dining venue)
- Savor Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary)
- Taste Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary, with Your Time dining)
- Le Bistro (French specialty dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- Teppanyaki (Japanese Hibachi specialty, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- Manhattan Room (aft-location Dining Room; complimentary; Freestyle dining, Dinner only)
- O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar & Grill (sports bar, with 24-hour American cuisine - burgers, steaks, desserts; complimentary)
- Shanghai’s Noodle Bar (Asian cuisine complimentary restaurant inside O’Sheehan’s Pub area)
- Food Republic (via partnership with Pubbelly Restaurant Group; specialty restaurant open for lunch through dinner, offers international cuisine; iPad ordering system)
- Pincho Tapas Bar (Latin dishes)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (specialty dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialties; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu)
- Moderno Churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- La Cucina (Italian specialty restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Bayamo Restaurant (Cuban/Latin seafood restaurant)
- Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville At Sea (debuted in Southampton on October 27, 2015 as a complimentary fast food restaurant; however, in November 2015 NCL confirmed that the first ever Margaritaville at Sea aboard Norwegian Escape, will operate as a speciality a la carte restaurant, due to "crowd-control reasons")
- Garden Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant with various cuisine stations).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
The honor to serve as the Escape’s godfather was given to the musician known as Pitbull (Armando Christian Perez). “Mr 305” was officially announced as leading performer during ship’s christening ceremony on 9 November 2015. The Norwegian Escape will offer guests Pitbull’s signature vodka brand “Voli”, mixed also in specialty cocktails (“Mr Worldwide”). The Escape vessel features expanded 55-suite Haven, a spacious sundeck, 2 whirlpools, private dining and specialty restaurants, expanded courtyard, outdoor terrace, Thermal suite, treatment rooms (14 – suite Heaven SPA) and fitness center.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Escape lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Escape Theatre (800-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand-shows per night)
- The Supper Club (theatrical entertainment dining venue, with grand-style aerial acrobatics; surcharge $30-40 PP)
- Atrium (3-deck midship hub area - “678 Ocean Place”, with a big-size LED screen, dance area and live entertainment)
- Atrium Cafe & Bar (specialty tea & coffee bar)
- The Library; Card Room; Internet Cafe (24-hour)
- Headliners Comedy Club & Lounge
- Mixx Bar (live piano music; pre-dinner cocktails); Bar 21; 5 O’Clock Somewhere Bar; Tobacco Road Liquor Bar; The Humidor (cigar lounge); The Cellars Wine Bar; Sugarcane Mojito Bar; Prime Meridian Bar; Studio Lounge
- Carlo’s Bake Shop (cakes, pastries, bakeries; cupcake classes)
- Art Gallery
- Escape Casino (served by Skyline Bar)
- Bliss Ultra Lounge & Nightclub
- The District Brew House (craft beer hall featuring a keg room, 24 draft beers on tap and 50 different bottled beers; via partnership with Wynwood Brewing Company, Miami)
- Dolce Gelato (Italian ice cream)
- Atrium Boutiques (tax-duty free shops); Photo Gallery & Shop
- Waterfront Promenade (1320 ft/402 m long; open air dining and entertainment venues)
- Aqua Park (3-deck, with two pools, 2 racing twist-slides and 5 multi-level waterslides)
- Kids venues, club lounges (Kid’s Aqua Park, Splash Academy for kids 3-12 yo, Guppies Nursery for kids 6 months to 2 yo)
- Mandara Spa & Fitness (Thermal Suite, Snow Room, Salt Room, Medi Spa, 24 Treatment Rooms, Beauty Salon, Barber Shop, fitness classes)
- Spice H2O (adults only; served by Breezeway Bar & Grill)
- Entourage Teen Centre (jukeboxes, table football, video arcades, teen disco)
- “The Haven” (Suite- and Villa-passengers only complex; consists of The Haven Courtyard, The Haven Restaurant, The Haven Lounge)
- Rock Climbing Wall; Jogging Track; Sports Complex (Spider Web - enclosed 24ft/7m tall kids climbing wall with spiral slide, Bungee Trampoline, 9-hole Mini Golf course, the largest at sea Ropes course, Zip Line, The Plank - 8ft/2,5m extending platform)
- Vibe Beach Club (adults only).
Norwegian Escape wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 42
- Total number of cabins: 2206 (of which 1717 outside, 407 Inside, 82 single cabins)
- Main Dining Rooms: SAVOR, TASTE, MANHATTAN ROOM.
- Restaurants, bars and lounges: "CARLO'S BAKE SHOP" (premium bakery), "LE BISTRO" (French specialty restaurant), "CAGNEY'S" and "MODERNO" (American and Brazilian steakhouses), BAYAMO Restaurant, "TEPPANYAKI" (Japanese seafood), "O'SHEEHAN'S BAR & GRILL" (English pub), "LA CUCINA" (Trattoria), "WASABI " (sushi), "DOLCE GELATO" (ice-cream), SVEDKA (ice bar), SPICE H2O, PRIME MERIDIAN, MIXX, BLISS ULTRA, BAR 21, SHAKERS, "PRIVATE ROOM AT TASTE" (100-seat group private dining, with its own lounge), THE SUPPER CLUB, SHANGHAI'S, SKYLINE (casino bar), 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE BAR, PINCHOS Tapas Bar, THE DISTRICT Brew House, TOBACCO ROAD Liquor Bar, THE CELLARS Wine Bar, PRIME MERIDIAN Bar, GARDEN CAFE.
- Amenities: Complimentary 24-hr Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("NCL Kids"), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry. NCL Escape tipping/gratuities are US$12 pp pd.
- Entertainment - Escape Theatre (800-seat, grand productions lounge), the NCL's FIREWORKS show (on each sailing), "678 Ocean Place" (3-deck high Atrium), Aqua Park (with 5 waterslides and additional kids water park), casino, Spa & Fitness complex, Sports complex.
- The list of major Norwegian Escape deck plan changes ("Breakaway" compared to "Breakaway Plus" design) features: one more passenger deck; increased number of Heaven Suites (from 42 to 55); expanded Haven and Courtyard areas; 26 more Penthouse Suites; more Studio cabins (rooms with single occupancy rates - from 59 to 82).
- Fun fact is that the "Norwegian Escape" name was selected through a Facebook contest with 10 potential names options. The contest was traditionally called "Norwegians Name Their Ships", and included NCL FB fans votes. The same way the line's fans picked the names of the Breakaway and Getaway ships.
- The NCL Escape is one of the two Breakaway Plus-class NCL ships. Her sister in the fleet is Norwegian Joy (2017).
- The ship's "Inaugural Cruise" was on October 29, 2015. The maiden voyage was an 11-days Transatlantic crossing from UK to Florida (leaving from Southampton to Miami). The vessel's hull design is by Guy Harvey (marine wildlife conservationist).
- On March 1, 2016, NCL announced that the Escape's scheduled departure time from home-port Miami Florida will be changed - from 4 pm to 7 pm (3 hours later). This change allows NCL cruise passengers later flights (arrivals in Miami) and applies to all the ship's 7-days Eastern Caribbean itineraries out of Miami scheduled for the period May 7 through December 31, 2016.
- NEWS: In 2018 (starting April), New York City will be NCL Escape's new home port in the USA, with departures from Midtown Manhattan. Becoming the largest ever cruise ship homeported in NYC, NCL Escape will be repositioned to NYC from Miami to operate on 7-night roundtrip itineraries to Bermuda (through September 2018) and also on 7-night and longer itineraries to Florida-Bahamas and other Caribbean destinations.
Norwegian Escape related cruise news
Guy Harvey and Norwegian Cruise Line are teaming up again. Harvey, who designed the hull art on line's largest cruise ship, Norwegian Escape, will be...February 24, 2017
New York is about to become home to one of the largest cruise ships in the world. Norwegian Cruise Line soon revealed that its giant...December 19, 2016
Norwegian Cruise Line will debut a giant new ship able to carry 4,000 guests on Seattle-Alaska cruises starting 2018, the company announced yesterday...October 14, 2016
Wynwood Brewing Company announced its first-ever voyage. The Wynwood Brewing Company Cruise sets sail May 6, 2017 out of Port Miami for a 7...August 13, 2016
Next summer, Norwegian Joy will sail into Shanghai with a painting of a large red phoenix across her steel hull. The red, blue and yellow painting by...July 28, 2016
Norwegian Cruise Line’s ship Norwegian Epic was at Damen Shiprepair Brest from September 27 to October 17, 2015 for a wide...March 21, 2016
Varied Bahamas and Caribbean cruises from Miami, New York and Port Canaveral, port-intensive 10-day Morocco and Canary Islands sailings from...March 11, 2016
Pitbull's latest music video "Freedom" features the newest ship of Norwegian Cruise Line, Norwegian Escape. The line also promotes the upcoming 2017...February 21, 2016
"Out with the old and in with the new" - the theme for the 2016 Florida cruise port shuffle as newbuilds make their way to Sunshine State...December 30, 2015
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) confirmed that Margaritaville at Sea aboard Norwegian Escape, a previously complimentary dining venue via ...November 30, 2015
- show more news
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Escape Itineraries 2017
The below listed Norwegian Escape cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Norwegian Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
Norwegian Escape Itineraries 2018
The below listed Norwegian Escape cruise prices on 2018 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Norwegian Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|25 Nov||Departing from New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|27 Nov 13:00 - 21:00||Port Canaveral, Orlando, Florida|
|28 Nov 10:00 - 18:00||Great Stirrup Cay, NCL private island, Bahamas|
|30 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Ocho Rios, Jamaica|
|01 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||George Town, Grand Cayman Island|
|03 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Harvest Caye, NCL private island, Belize|
|04 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Costa Maya, Mexico|
|05 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Cozumel, Mexico|
|09 Dec||Arriving in New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|09 Dec||Departing from New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|12 Dec 15:00 - 22:00||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|13 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Saint Thomas Island, Charlotte Amalie, USVI|
|14 Dec 09:00 - 17:00||Roseau, Dominica|
|15 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|16 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Castries, St Lucia Island|
|17 Dec 08:00 - 17:00||Basseterre, St Kitts Island|
|21 Dec||Arriving in New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|28 Dec||Departing from New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|30 Dec 13:00 - 19:00||Port Canaveral, Orlando, Florida|
|01 Jan 09:00 - 18:00||Miami, Florida|
|02 Jan 08:00 - 18:00||Great Stirrup Cay, NCL private island, Bahamas|
|03 Jan 08:00 - 18:00||Nassau, New Providence Island, Bahamas|
|06 Jan||Arriving in New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
Norwegian Escape Itineraries 2019
The below listed Norwegian Escape cruise prices on 2019 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Norwegian Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|06 Jan||Departing from New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|08 Jan 13:00 - 21:00||Port Canaveral, Orlando, Florida|
|09 Jan 10:00 - 18:00||Great Stirrup Cay, NCL private island, Bahamas|
|11 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Ocho Rios, Jamaica|
|12 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||George Town, Grand Cayman Island|
|14 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Harvest Caye, NCL private island, Belize|
|15 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Costa Maya, Mexico|
|16 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Cozumel, Mexico|
|20 Jan||Arriving in New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|20 Jan||Departing from New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|23 Jan 15:00 - 22:00||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|24 Jan 10:00 - 19:00||Philipsburg, St Maarten Island, Dutch Antilles|
|25 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Tortola Island, Road Town, BVI|
|26 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Saint Thomas Island, Charlotte Amalie, USVI|
|27 Jan 09:00 - 17:00||Roseau, Dominica|
|28 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Castries, St Lucia Island|
|29 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|30 Jan 11:00 - 18:00||Basseterre, St Kitts Island|
|03 Feb||Arriving in New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|03 Feb||Departing from New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|05 Feb 13:00 - 21:00||Port Canaveral, Orlando, Florida|
|06 Feb 10:00 - 18:00||Great Stirrup Cay, NCL private island, Bahamas|
|08 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Ocho Rios, Jamaica|
|09 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||George Town, Grand Cayman Island|
|11 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Harvest Caye, NCL private island, Belize|
|12 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Costa Maya, Mexico|
|13 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Cozumel, Mexico|
|17 Feb||Arriving in New York, Cape Liberty NYC|