Quantum Of The Seas Review and Specifications
Specifications of Quantum Of The Seas
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 935 million|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||348 m / 1142 ft|
|Beam (width)||49 m / 161 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||167800 gt|
|Passengers||4162 - 4819|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Christened by||Kristin Chenoweth|
Review of Quantum Of The Seas
Launched in 2014, Quantum of the Seas is the first Quantum-class Royal Caribbean ship, together with Anthem of the Seas (2015), Ovation of the Seas (2016) and ‘Quantum-Plus’ class newbuilds Passion of the Seas (2019) and Pulse of the Seas (2020). The ship cost US$935 million to build (2011 shiporder rates).
History - construction & ownership
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. RCI is a cruise line brand established in Norway and currently based in Miami, Florida. As of September 2015, the line controls a 17% share of the world cruise market, with 23 cruise ships in service and other three on order. All vessels under the Royal Caribbean brand have had their names ending with "of the Seas" since 1991. Sister brands owned by Royal Caribbean Ltd. are Azamara Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, CDF Croisières de France and Pullmantur Cruises.
The 167,800-ton, 4,905-passenger cruise ship Quantum of the Seas is a next-generation Quantum Class ship. The new class of ships was known in the past under the name "Project Sunshine". The Quantum-Class is larger than the earlier Freedom by 13,000 GT. With these new dimensions the class became the second largest in the fleet of the cruise company after the Oasis class.
Cruise itinerary program
Quantum of the Seas itinerary program is based on 4- and 5-day short Asia roundtrip cruises from Shanghai and Hong Kong. During her Inaugural season, Quantum operated on Caribbean voyages out of Bayonne (Cape Lyberty) New Jersey.
Most Quantum of the Seas staterooms are balcony (1447) and 100-185-sq.foot insides (367). There are a total of 2090 staterooms. The largest aboard Quantum of the Seas are the Royal Loft Suites (152 m2). The new “Royal Suite Class” booking category (suite accommodations only) provides Quantum's highest paying passengers with the ultimate all-inclusive cruise experience of Royal Caribbean, marked by Coastal Kitchen exclusive access, 24-hour personal butler service, included gratuities, all-inclusive drinks, free Internet and thermal suite unlimited access. Quantum of the Seas was also designed with 34 wheelchair-accessible cabins and virtual balconies (the interior features real-time views of the ocean and destinations). Compared to the Oasis-class ships, guests can enjoy larger staterooms, more family-connected cabins and new studio staterooms (for solo travelers).
Dining options - Food & Drinks
Passengers on Quantum of the Seas are offered plenty dining options to choose from, with multiple choices for light bites as well. Reservations for all restaurants can be made online ahead of cruise. Though not required, reservations are definitely recommended to ensure guests get to eat where they want, when they want. Food and service at the main restaurants, Silk, Chic, American Icon and The Grande, is varied and offers an array of experiences.
Follows the complete list of Quantum of the Seas restaurants and food bars.
- The Grande (offers DreamWorks themed breakfast, two fixed dinner seatings and "My Time Dining")
- Chic Restaurant (one of the four dining rooms)
- American Icon Grill (one of the four dining rooms)
- The Silk (Asian cuisine, one of the four dining rooms)
- La Patisserie (specialty coffee & teas bar; offers fresh-made pastries and sweets)
- Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine
- Windjammer Marketplace buffet restaurant (offers Early Breakfast at 6:30 a.m., Breakfast between 7:00-11:30 a.m., Lunch 11.30-3:30 p.m. and Dinner 6.30-9:00 p.m.)
- Chops Grille (steakhouse/seafood)
- Chef’s Table (14-guest capacity, gourmet private dining package)
- Sorrento’s (Italian restaurant); Jamie’s Italian
- Izumi (73-seat Asian/Japanese restaurant)
- The Cafe @ Two70° (casual dining marketplace)
- Coastal Kitchen (Suite passengers only restaurant)
- Solarium Bistro (healthy dining menu, ex-“Devinly Decadence”)
- SeaPlex Dog House (complimentary).
Entertainment options - Fun & Sport
Guests on Quantum of the Seas are free to enjoy 16 decks, with a top deck featuring solarium for adults, an outdoor pool, a new indoor pool with a roof system and H2O Zone kids' aqua park. Additional facilities aboard the cruise ship include a surf simulator, a rock climbing wall measuring 40ft above the deck, a spa, a casino, and an outdoor movie screen. Adrenaline junkies should first try the iFly by RipCord, Royal Caribbean's skydiving simulator. You'll need a reservation for iFly, as it's increasingly popular, but there is no fee. Nearby is the surf simulator, FlowRider. One of the most unique experiences to try out is the North Star, which is a jewel-shaped glass globe rising 300 feet above sea level. It provides great 360-degree views above the ship. North Star is free, but can be booked for special events for a fee.
The Royal Theater hosts the major production show onboard the Quantum, "Mamma Mia!," which features ABBA's greatest hits. The result is an exceptional show and spectacular event that makes everyone want to sing and dance along. The Quantum cruise ship boasts with the DreamWorks Experience - a themed programming in partnership with the Walt Disney Company. This new entertainment program is aimed at families and offers movies-themed DreamWorks activities on select RCI ships within the fleet. The list of special activities includes characters meet & greets (of course, plus photo ops).
Follows the complete list of Quantum of the Seas lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Royal Theater (1299-seat, features 3D Movies, aerial acrobatic performances and Broadway-style productions)
- Music Hall (2-deck high live entertainment venue)
- Two70° Lounge (3-deck high relaxation observation lounge with live entertainment)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; SeaTrek Shop (diving equipment)
- Diamond Club Lounge & Bar (past guests only); Concierge Club & Lounge (suite- and past guests only); Card Room
- Michael’s Genuine Pub; Bionic Bar; North Star Bar; Schooner Bar (piano bar); Sky Bar
- Royal Esplanade (an area between the boutique shops and restaurants on decks 4 and 5; part of it is “The Via” with the Vintages wine bar, Port Merchants and Jamie’s)
- Casino Royale; Casino VIP
- Boleros (Latin night bar)
- Outdoor Movie Screen
- Cafe Promenade (24-hour; serves snacks and drinks, as well as Starbucks specialty coffee)
- Vitality at Sea Spa & Fitness Center
- Solarium lounge (includes Solarium Cafe, pool bar and adults only pool area); Solarium Bar
- Video Games Arcade; The Living Room and Night Club teen areas; Royal Babies & Tots Nursery; Adventure Ocean kids lounge area; Workshop (family venue); H2O Zone family & kids area; Kung Fu Panda
- SeaPlex (sports complex, with roller skating, bumper cars, circus school, full-sized basketball court); North Star; FlowRider (surf simulator); RipCord by iFly; Jogging Track; Rock-climbing Wall.
Quantum Of The Seas wiki
- Accident reports and news CruiseMinus.com
- Cabin grades number: 43
- Total number of cabins: 2090 (of which 1570 balcony rooms, 373 Inside, 28 single occupancy/studio cabins)
- Dining Rooms: no ("Dynamic Dining", new concept)
- Restaurants and food bars: 25 onboard dining options (14 are complimentary), Chic, Sorrento’s (pizzeria), The Grande, Silk (Asian), Izumi (Japanese), Jamie’s (Italian), American Icon Grill, Windjammer (buffet), Coastal Kitchen (Mediterranean), Johnny Rockets (fastfood), Wonderland, Dog House (burgers), Chops Grille (steakhouse), Cafe Promenade, Cafe @ Two70, Solarium Bistro.
- Lounges & Bars (total 35 bars/cafes): Quantum, Music Hall, Concierge, Diamond, Two70, North Star, Michael’s (pub), Adventure Ocean (kids), teen-only (Living Room, Night Club), poolside bars.
- Amenities: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Youth programs (Adventure Ocean, Royal Babies, Royal Tots, Dream Works experience), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
- Adults-only area (Solarium), Spa (Vitality), Nursery, 10 jacuzzis (2 cantilevered), 4 pools, Outdoor Theater, Water Park, Rock Climbing Wall (located deck 15), Wave Loch Flowrider (onboard surfing).
- Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas is the line's first Quantum-class vessel. Her one year younger "WOW" sister is the Anthem of the Seas (2015) and the newest is Ovation of the Seas (2016). There is a possibility the RCCL cruise company to order a fourth Quantum-class ship, as such an option is included in the contract.
- In the beginning, the creation of the Quantum-class had the code name of "Project Sunshine". The real name of the class was announced by Royal Caribbean on the same day when the laser cutting of the steel for the hull of the first Quantum ship began.
- The ship was initially home-ported at Bayonne's Cape Liberty cruise port (New Jersey). In 2016 Quantum was home-ported in Shanghai China for round-trip itineraries to ports in Japan and South Korea,
- The cruise ship has the new "virtual balcony" rooms - a live camera feed showing the passing scenery on an 80-inch / 203 cm HD TV screen. DreamWork experience is also available on a 3D movie screen. The entertainment includes daily activities which are described as "innovative and surprising". The ship is designed to be classy, family friendly and open, with the last high-tech equipment available on the market.
The list of the Quantum ship's revolutionary new features includes:
- "virtual balcony cabins" - all the Inside cabins feature a floor-to-ceiling 80" high-def TVscreen for real-time views. All Quantum cabins are ~9% larger than those of the Oasis-class ships.
- Two70° (located decks 5-7 stern, 3-story-high with a 270° panoramic view) - this lounge includes a cafe, an ice bar, at night it becomes a venue for a nouveau-cirque-style productions and a disco club.
- SeaPlex complex (deck 15 mid) - full-size basketball court, a roller-skating sports arena, bumper cars, table tennis, "food truck" (casual dining).
- "RipCord by iFLY" - it's the RCCL's new skydiving simulator (reservations to be made online prior to sailing).
- "NorthStar" - the sensational and absolutely complimentary observation tower (forward of the top deck) - a glass-walled capsule on a long rotating arm will lift small groups of passengers over the ship's edge (up to 300ft/91m above sea level).
Quantum Of The Seas related cruise news
Twenty-nine Chinese who expected to enter illegally South Korea were caught on Thursday, November 17, at Wusong International Cruise Ship...November 21, 2016
On Thursday, May 12, Royal Caribbean took delivery of the world's largest cruise ship, Harmony of the Seas, in Saint Nazaire, France. Spanning 16...May 13, 2016
Royal Caribbean switched from "one size fits all" Internet plan to a couple of different options on all of its ships via high-speed Voom Internet...April 24, 2016
The new Ovation of the Seas already has a large animal sculpture on her upper decks. The large panda display is expected to bring awareness to the...April 13, 2016
The most innovative cruise ship in the world, Ovation of the Seas nears completion as she floated out on February 18 from Meyer Werft Shipyard in...March 2, 2016
Royal Caribbean charges fees for the North Star observation capsule and the RipCord by iFly sky diving simulator on Quantum of the Seas cruises...December 25, 2015
The Panama Canal is an engineering marvel allowing cargo and cruise ships to cross Central America efficiently instead of skirting the...December 20, 2015
Carnival Cruise Line named the two cruise ships it will send to China. The line previously announced that it would be sending ships to the country in...October 28, 2015
ALMACO will add 13 crew cabins on Anthem of the Seas, with the same number on Quantum. The work will be carried out during the next...October 25, 2015
Every day we learn about another major cruise line that is expanding into China. According to Wall Street Journal, cruise lines are...October 3, 2015
- show more news
Other Royal Caribbean cruise ships
Quantum Of The Seas Itineraries 2017
The below listed Quantum Of The Seas cruise prices on 2017 itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Royal Caribbean fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.