Amber Cove is a Carnival Corporation exclusive cruise port located on Dominican Republic's north coast (Caribbean Sea), just outside Puerto Plata. Puerto Plata is a historical town discovered by Christopher Columbus (Italian explorer and colonizer, 1451-1506).
Carnival's exclusive port Amber Cove encompasses 30 acres of waterfront property. The new port was built in partnership with Grupo B&R (Agencias Navieras B&R, Republica Dominicana).
The new port was named "Amber Cove" after the rich amber mineral reserves found in the region. The list of other Carnival-owned private island cruise destinations and exclusive ports of call includes Half Moon Cay (Bahamas), Princess Cays (Bahamas), Grand Turk Island (approx located only 160 km / 100 ml to the north of Amber Cove), Puerta Maya (Cozumel Mexico) and Mahogany Bay (Roatan Island, Honduras).
The Miami-based Carnival Corporation spent USD 85 million to develop the purpose-built cruise ship facility Amber Cove. During its first year of operation (2015) the cruise port handled over 250,000 passengers. The facility provides around 430 local jobs.
Through its cruise brands, Carnival Corporation has operations in almost every part of the world. Carnival ships operate from 128 global seaports. However, the new cruise port facility reflects the company’s intentions for further growth through new Caribbean itinerary options.
The large Amber Cove cruise port complex is set in a broad cove ringed by mountains. The facility has a long pier with 2 berths, which can accommodate the world's largest cruise vessels.
Amber Cove features a waterfront welcome center, waterfront cabanas, recreational area (green spaces, swimming pool, water park), hilltop observation point and bar, retail shops (selling local souvenirs and crafts), multiple beverage and food options. The terminal also has a staging area from where cruise ship tourists can embark on over 40 regional land excursions. The nearby Ocean World is one of the Caribbean's largest marine adventure parks.
- The cruise port was inaugurated with a grand opening ceremony held on November 2, 2015. The special event was attended by Danilo Medina (country's President), Francisco Javier Garcia (country's minister of tourism), Arnold Donald (Carnival Corporation's CEO), Jeffrey Rannik (B&R Group's President).
- Following the first visit by Carnival Victory (October 6, 2015), additional ships from Carnival Cruise Line fleet plus 7 other Carnival Corp brand companies visited the port - AIDA, Costa, Cunard, Fathom (Adonia / now Azamara Pursuit), Holland America, Princess, and P&O UK.
- Notably, Amber Cove was the first port destination for the inaugural voyage of the cruise brand Fathom (2016-2017), which operated with 7-day roundtrips from Miami to Cuba (starting April 10, 2016).
- In 2016, Carnival Sensation visited Amber Cove as port of call on year-round operated 4- and 5-day cruises out of Miami. In 2017, the itinerary was changed to 5-night / 6-day, with call ports Grand Turk and Amber Cove.
- In its first full year of operation, the Carnival Corporation's 8 brands made a total of 140 visits to the port, with 23 different vessels. The maiden calls by line were of Cunard's RMS Queen Mary 2 (Nov 22, 2015), P&O Azura (Dec 5, 2015), AIDAvita (Dec 11, 2015, Costa Deliziosa (Dec 31, 2015) and HAL's ms Eurodam (Jan 19, 2016).
Amber Cove is an exclusive cruise port located on Dominican Republic's north coast (Caribbean Sea), just outside Puerto Plata,. Puerto Plata, is a historical town discovered by Christopher Columbus (Italian explorer and colonizer, 1451-1506).
Amber Cove cruise terminal
Amber Cove Cruise Center is located near Puerto Plata, on Bay of Maimon. The new cruise ship facility is one of the largest investments ever made in the Dominican Republic. The new cruise ship terminal has 1 pier with 2 berths, and max daily capacity of 8,000 passengers plus 2,000 crew. A transportation hub allows passengers an easy access to the surrounding destinations and attractions.
The new terminal was inaugurated In October 2015. Carnival Victory was the first ever ship to call here. In the period 2016-2017 Summer, the cruise port wasa regular port of call (with overnight stays) on Fathom cruise line's (MS Adonia) itineraries to Cuba leaving roundtrip from Miami Florida.
Amber Cove Cruise Center
The following map of Amber Cove cruise port shows all facilities in the terminal complex.
The list of cruise terminal facilities features Marketplace (convenience store, shopping centre/ domestic crafts, souvenirs), Cafe El Cibao, Elements (Dichtoic Glass items and jewelry shop), Pareo's House (clothes and souvenirs shop), Coco Cana (Bar & Restaurant, poolside lounge, shop), Turquesa (gift shop), Yofi Skin Care (shop), Wild Play (clothes, gifts, pharmacy), Ocean World (gifts, luxury watches, designer jewelry), Effy Jewelers (shop), Yvon International (art gallery), Tourist Information, Car Rental, Taxis (rank, pre-arranged tour bus pickaup), Shorex Booth (shore excursions / tours booking and information), dedicated Crew Center.
Among the terminal's signature facilities are also a large swimming pool (with kids' splash zone), Zip-Line (waterslides), watersports rental, Cabana Bar, Sky Bar, also hillside-, poolside and overwater cabanas for rent.
Port Amber Cove cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Amber Cove, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|8 October, 2018|
|9 October, 2018|
|11 October, 2018|
|15 October, 2018|
|18 October, 2018|
|23 October, 2018|
|23 October, 2018|
|25 October, 2018|
|26 October, 2018|
|29 October, 2018|
|30 October, 2018|
The Amber Cove cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Amber Cove, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.
If you lose the Amber Cove location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.